Music Kanye West - Donda

Superunknown

I thought it was finally time to take a deep breath and give this a go yesterday. I'm not going to give my thoughts on every individual track, because there's near-30 of the feckers, and nobody has time to read that.
The first track is...I don't even know what it is.
The first minute of Jail actually had me feeling a tinge of optimism that there may be some good in this album. But then, it just doesn't go anywhere. There's a good song in there somewhere, but it sounds like he jumped into recording that when he had, say, a quarter of the song. He had idea 1, but should have waited for ideas 2,3 and 4 before finishing it. It's the most frustrating thing on the album for me because you're waiting for something to happen next, but then it just doesn't. The ultimate insult is that there's a part 2 to Jail, which...is another 5 minutes of nothing. The frustrating thing is that it could have been something. You're about a minute or a minute and a half into the song and you have the inclination to believe that it's going to move on, or the drums will kick in, or some other new exciting element will be added...but nope.

Unfortunately, I found the rest of the album like that. It's...just very dull. There's no movement there. It's quite empty and doesn't really have a place. There's no catharsis there, no singalong factor, no ability to dance to it or nod your head to it, and other special moments. There are small ideas littered throughout the album, but no "whole" ideas.

I have to talk about the amount of writers and producers because...it's utterly, fecking ridiculous. Jail alone has 8 writers and 6 producers. How?! Hurricane has 13 writers and 7 producers...The section on the album's wikipedia where they list the writers and producers is like an essay! When you take all of that into consideration, the amount of people, talent, and how expensive that must have made it to put together, this is nothing but disappointing. You would expect a lot more than what is on the record. I wouldn't even class it as minimalism or stripped back. How can you have that amount of personnel working on an album and class it as minimalism. It's failed extravagance.

My thoughts on the album length and how this hinders the replayability remain the same. I'm in no rush to go through all of that again, for seemingly little reward.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
The only good song is Heaven and Hell. After a few listens its by far the best track on the album.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I thought it was good. Too long, but good. Better than Drake’s album anyway.

He’s still very creative sonically. Kanye that is.

Listened to it last night, I really liked it. Way too long but I enjoyed it overall, my faves off the top of my head are Pure Souls, Jesus Lord, Hurricane, Ok Ok part 2 and Jail.

Last edited:

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Listened to it last night, I really liked it. Way too long but I enjoyed it overall, my faves off the the top of my head are Pure Souls, Jesus Lord, Hurricane, Ok Ok part 2 and Jail.
Jay Electronica’s verse on Jesus Lord is incredible

stu_1992

Gave it a few listens and think it's a decent piece of work.

Could do without the part 2s and the Pop Smoke interlude, though I know that is more of a tip of the hat than anything else. There are plenty of songs on the album that I will be happy to hear again and again, think they will continue to grow as well.
To be fair, it's easy to disregard the part 2s seeing as they are all together at teh end of the album. It clearly really ends with No Child Left Behind which is where I stop as the Part 2's aren't giving me enough different to want to listen to them at that point.

JoaquinJoaquin

A truly garbage album with a couple of decent pop hits on it. Will age horribly and an army of fans will lap it up as a work of genius. Also see : Jake Paul can Box, Joe Rogan is a thought leader, Jordan Peterson is authentic and Tories are noble.

Mass Popularity moves things so far from objective judgment as to create a weird little consumption junction in garbage universe. A million people long human centipede where 5 rows back nobody knows what the first person ate, let alone tasted.

It’s…. Shit. Just say it’s shit. It’s an album. If more than half of it is good, it’s good. If not, it’s not. This is a mess with a few redeeming features. it’s shit. Really really bad.

This is the musical Genius that had a run that went College Dropout - Late Registration / Late Orchestration* - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - 808’s & Heartbreak. He fell off. He makes mostly trash music now.

If someone had creative control and just make him release 6-8 track albums the way he forced Push to do, we’d all be better for it.

The album is shit. Kanye is a busted flush. He’s mentally ill and it’s quite hard to watch right now. I wish Donda has stayed above ground, perhaps he wouldn’t have lost his mind.

* - Spinning Late R into Late O was one of the most underrated things he’s ever done. I stand by that.
Great description. Could not have wrote it any better myself.

MadMike

After a couple of full-length listens.... I think Jesus is Lord and Heaven and Hell are the only songs I can joyfully listen to on repeat.

The rest is quite subpar.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Oh is that who it was? Its annoying because it doesnt say the featuring artist name next to song. But yeah his verse was top tier.
Yes, that is very annoying. Something to do with this whole thing about people being added and taken off the album at the last second before release?

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
A truly garbage album with a couple of decent pop hits on it. Will age horribly and an army of fans will lap it up as a work of genius. Also see : Jake Paul can Box, Joe Rogan is a thought leader, Jordan Peterson is authentic and Tories are noble.

Mass Popularity moves things so far from objective judgment as to create a weird little consumption junction in garbage universe. A million people long human centipede where 5 rows back nobody knows what the first person ate, let alone tasted.

It’s…. Shit. Just say it’s shit. It’s an album. If more than half of it is good, it’s good. If not, it’s not. This is a mess with a few redeeming features. it’s shit. Really really bad.

This is the musical Genius that had a run that went College Dropout - Late Registration / Late Orchestration* - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - 808’s & Heartbreak. He fell off. He makes mostly trash music now.

If someone had creative control and just make him release 6-8 track albums the way he forced Push to do, we’d all be better for it.

The album is shit. Kanye is a busted flush. He’s mentally ill and it’s quite hard to watch right now. I wish Donda has stayed above ground, perhaps he wouldn’t have lost his mind.

* - Spinning Late R into Late O was one of the most underrated things he’s ever done. I stand by that.
Disagree with everything written here. Not sure what Joe Rogan has to do with anything either……

arthurka

Disagree with everything written here. Not sure what Joe Rogan has to do with anything either……
So may I ask you one question out of the 27 songs how many would pass as great? Good? Lala ? Bad? And terrible? Maybe I am old but to qualify as a good album more than half of the songs would need to be good at least. This album has no direction, no filter, no real standard. It's a mess with 2 nice tunes and a couple of more that will be played but will be dropped into oblivion in a couple of months time. It's an tragic piece from a once great artist.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
So may I ask you one question out of the 27 songs how many would pass as great? Good? Lala ? Bad? And terrible? Maybe I am old but to qualify as a good album more than half of the songs would need to be good at least. This album has no direction, no filter, no real standard. It's a mess with 2 nice tunes and a couple of more that will be played but will be dropped into oblivion in a couple of months time. It's an tragic piece from a once great artist.
It’s weird. I don’t think his early work is as good as everyone says and I don’t think his later stuff is a bad as everyone says.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It’s weird. I don’t think his early work is as good as everyone says and I don’t think his later stuff is a bad as everyone says.
I mean it's your opinion so that's fine but I think just re-listening to his discography, it's pretty clear he was on an upward trajectory until MBDTF, and since then it's been downhill, with some passable efforts, but mainly some over egotistical, bloated shit along the way. The worse thing you can say about this album is that it's genuinely boring. It's flat, it has nothing really going for it. It's really, really boring. And that's a terrible thing to be able to say about any work of art.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I quite like Believe What I Say but maybe that's because everything else feels a bit dreary, especially after trying to give CLB another listen.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Mainly because he can’t rap.
This the thing. He’s really a producer. His lyrics and flow were never good (though he did sometimes have some interesting lines). So with his albums I’m always looking for how they sound as opposed to what he says. The early albums were heavy on the soul samples with the sped up vocals, which was ok but derivative. The newer albums have a lot of weirdness going on sonically which I quite like.

This the thing. He’s really a producer. His lyrics and flow were never good (though he did sometimes have some interesting lines). So with his albums I’m always looking for how they sound as opposed to what he says. The early albums were heavy on the soul samples with the sped up vocals, which was ok but derivative. The newer albums have a lot of weirdness going on sonically which I quite like.
One thing about Kanye is that his albums never sound the same, he doesn't get caught up in the nostalgia of what his previous albums sounded like and try an replicate it. That's what i like with him as you never know what to expect.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
One thing about Kanye is that his albums never sound the same, he doesn't get caught up in the nostalgia of what his previous albums sounded like and try an replicate it. That's what i like with him as you never know what to expect.
Fair point, yes.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic
Donda has definitely grown on me. Few tracks on the second half of the album that I hadn't listened to as much that I have constantly on repeat now, Heaven and Hell, Moon, Remote Control and Jesus Lord all favourites.

Bosws87

I like to think it can only be better. Genuinely only loved Jesus Lord and liked Jail and Moon on Donda...
We've all been saying this since 2010 Twisted dark fantasy, the man's finished he's lucky he has loads of gullible idiots which will just buy whatever he does.

tomaldinho1

We've all been saying this since 2010 Twisted dark fantasy, the man's finished he's lucky he has loads of gullible idiots which will just buy whatever he does.
It'll never reach MBDTF heights but I'm optimistic. I doubt many people buy his albums specifically anymore given how music platforms work but I'll definitely give it a couple of listens.

Bosws87

It'll never reach MBDTF heights but I'm optimistic. I doubt many people buy his albums specifically anymore given how music platforms work but I'll definitely give it a couple of listens.
You occasionally hear one track where its the old Kanye there's always one on his albums and then you are incredibly disappointed when you realise its just the single track, think it was "off the grid" in Donda, but its mean a while since i listened to the album.

GlasgowCeltic

You occasionally hear one track where its the old Kanye there's always one on his albums and then you are incredibly disappointed when you realise its just the single track, think it was "off the grid" in Donda, but its mean a while since i listened to the album.
Agree, "Follow God" on JIK too for me.

I just want to see him making music with Common Talib and Mos Def again

BootsyCollins

Haha, i mean basically how it sounds. Like production, how good and crisp it sounds from the speakers. How the vocals are mixed with the instruments and so on. No idea if im using the word right, but anyway. Really enjoyed the album, sonically.

Dan_F

What does this mean?
That from a lyrical/rapping point of view it’s really forgettable, so instead his fans will try and find something to praise.

I’m half joking, but it feels like that’s how his last several albums have been received.

BootsyCollins

That from a lyrical/rapping point of view it’s really forgettable, so instead his fans will try and find something to praise.

I’m half joking, but it feels like that’s how his last several albums have been received.
As one of the fans you mention i would say you are not totaly wrong. I dont judge Kanye in the same way i judge the rappers i like, more like a musician kind of.

youngrell

Anyone watch the Netflix doc last night?

Really enjoyed it, some great footage and nice to see Kanye back in the day when he was a lot more likeable. Excited for the other parts in the coming weeks.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
What he’s doing at the moment is fecked up and mental health isn’t an excuse but someone needs to get him some help.