g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Kevin De Bruyne

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralGattuso

Sterling and De Bruyne... two massively over rated players. They're not bad players but they're certainly not great ones. De Bruyne is better than Sterling I suppose, still I reckon he's worth half what they are paying for him!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Sterling and De Bruyne... two massively over rated players. They're not bad players but they're certainly not great ones. De Bruyne is better than Sterling I suppose, still I reckon he's worth half what they are paying for him!
I won't matter in the end - City's owners are wealthy and hellbent on buying their way into European relevance. And if they manage to win a CL out of this, no one will bat an eyelid over the cost of which players they bought in order to get there.

GeneralGattuso

I won't matter in the end - City's owners are wealthy and hellbent on buying their way into European relevance. And if they manage to win a CL out of this, no one will bat an eyelid over the cost of which players they bought in order to get there.
I don't think De Bruyne is going to win them the Champions League. He's an improvement over Navas (but then, I'd be an improvement on Navas) so there's that, but I wouldn't be afraid of him in the line up.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think De Bruyne is going to win them the Champions League. He's an improvement over Navas (but then, I'd be an improvement on Navas) so there's that, but I wouldn't be afraid of him in the line up.
De Bruyne alone won't, but De Bruyne, Sterling, Otamendi along side an already quality squad will be ready for an assault on the CL.

No.8

How is he overrated? He was outstanding last season and don't dismiss the Bundesliga, he also performed well against the better sides in that league aswell as doing well in the Europa league. He was only behind Messi and Ronaldo in terms of assists across Europe's top five leagues and at 23/24 he remains one of Europe's top talents. Just because he didn't cut the mustard at Chelsea where he played a total of about five games he has shown, with a side willing to play him in his preferred position and a consistent run of games, just how good he is. He and Dost were the main reasons Wolfsburg finished second last season. Would love United to have put a bid in for him, he scores goals and has an eye for a pass.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How he is overrated? He was outstanding last season and don't dismiss the Bundesliga, he also performed well against the better sides in that league aswell as doing well in the Europa league. He was only behind Messi and Ronaldo in terms of assists across Europe's top five leagues and at 23/24 he remains one of Europe's top talents. Just because he didn't cut the mustard at Chelsea where he played a total of about five games he has shown, with a side willing to play him in his preferred position and a consistent run of games, just how good he is. He and Dost were the main reasons Wolfsburg finished second last season. Would love United to have put a bid in for him, he scores goals and has an eye for a pass.
If De Bruyne succeeded alongside Dost, imagine the damage he could do feeding Aguero alongside Silva, Sterling, and Yaya Toure.

GeneralGattuso

How is he overrated? He was outstanding last season and don't dismiss the Bundesliga, he also performed well against the better sides in that league aswell as doing well in the Europa league. He was only behind Messi and Ronaldo in terms of assists across Europe's top five leagues and at 23/24 he remains one of Europe's top talents. Just because he didn't cut the mustard at Chelsea where he played a total of about five games he has shown, with a side willing to play him in his preferred position and a consistent run of games, just how good he is. He and Dost were the main reasons Wolfsburg finished second last season. Would love United to have put a bid in for him, he scores goals and has an eye for a pass.
He's not consistently produced those numbers and he seems lightweight to me, he lacks a fighting spirit, doesn't seem that determinded... Silva has that spark, despite his size, he's got a determination to win games, De Bruyne doesn't, if the game isn't going his way his head will drop. I don't like that type of player and nor does Mourinho it seems, forget that he didn't cut it at Chelsea, he wasn't willing to fight for his place.

The money they are paying gets you a player like Di Maria, before he stopped trying he was going to win games by himself, I don't see De Bruyne ever doing that. People are getting way too excited about his stats, he was played in his best position, in a team built around him, where he was the star. You stick him in a City team, out on the wing, in the premier league where he's a 1st choice winger (but not the star man) and he won't be anywhere near as effective. I don't see him picking up player of the season awards and I reckon come the end of the season pundits will be saying "they need to play to his strengths". It might get washed over if City walk the league, like how Sterling is now a superstar (despite doing very little).

Gabe

I agree, I don't understand people saying Sterling and De Bruyne 'aren't all that.'
City looking much more dangerous in attack.
And Otamendi is a solid signing, a strong character.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I know he's a good player because the reviews about him, plus City wouldn't be splashing that amount of cash on him if he wasn't rated highly - but everytime I've watched him play 5-10 times, I've found him quite mediocre. For example, a couple of games that jump out at me are the Belgium vs Wales matches. Didn't impress me at all and was extremely wasteful. Found him quite greedy too, and it was the bad type of greedy - where other people did a lot of the work just to get the ball to you.

City like their quick tippy-tappy pass and move, which is entertaining of course. Can KDB do that? I'm not sure. From the 5-10 matches I've seen, I struggle to imagine him doing all that.

I think Sterling will become the better signing for City.

crimsonife

Absolutely ridiculous price. They just blew Wolfsburg out of the water. They're already clicking quite well so I'm interested to see how they fit Otamendi and De Bruyne without messing things up. Excellent signing though, really gutted.

NoPace

It would make more sense to have signed a pacy wide player to play opposite Sterling and just let Silva and Aguero do whatever they want with acres of space and De Bruyne's best attribute seems to be his vision, decision-making and accurate striking of the ball (good passer on the ground, great crosser and pretty good shooter) on the counter attack and City don't do that a great deal...

but I don't think that will matter anywhere near as much as the fact that City now likely have 40-50 De Bruyne starts and he's a quality footballer and they lack depth. Bony and Nasri were the only proven attackers backing up 4 players right now and Aguero doesn't have a great injury record. Adding Navas to that group gives them a striker, AM and winger each for cover and whatever basic change Pellegrini wants to make.

Good news for Bony in the sense that De Bruyne can cross a ball, but bad for his odds to get in the first team, since Navas and Nasri were more likely to be beaten out and the 4-4-2 brought back at some point.

When everyone is healthy, Silva might be able to still run games from out wide if Sterling stays wide enough.I don't think this fixes their CL problems (though Otamendi has a chance to do so) but it will help them get through that insane group and definitely help them win the PL, for which they are looking favorites at the moment unless Chelsea sharpen or we find a great attacker and a (presumably internal) solution to the LCB/GK questions.

I could see this Zabaleta's replacement, though probably just in the first XI rather then the squad with Sagna leaving. A lot of space to cover and defensive decisions to make whether it's De Bruyne or Silva failing to cover the FB out wide. Or Sterling could play out right and Kolarov/Clichy will get exposed and replaced. LB is probably the next logical signing for City unless they can get a top CM or DM.

NoPace

I just need to watch how the German media tries to use our strong season start as opportunity to hype us up to be Bayern´s main rival once again. "Tuchels pragmatic and brave rebels going into war vs. the evil Bavarian empire" (unless the empire is compared to the football destroying EPL, then they are the saviors^^)
This sounds like propaganda but it's basically dead on, right? Is your media this sharp normally?

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
It's weak how people look for ways to dig City about signing two of Europe's best young players. If we signed those two, we'd all be over the moon.

I'm happy to see a top draw talent coming to the PL. For all the talk that it would be us splashing the cash and signing superstars, City have gone out and bought three top, top players.

Blackwidow

This sounds like propaganda but it's basically dead on, right? Is your media this sharp normally?
If a Dortmund fan says it - you can even believe it. Last week even Dickel on BVB radio could not have been worse than the ARD... Chinese States TV cannot be worse...

You can virtually see the commentator having his hands in his pants...

Sparky Rhiwabon

looks like this deal is coming to the end , he is due in Manchester later on a private jet.
City adding to an already strong side, cant really see past them for the PL, from what I have seen so far.
Yeah, their defence is just too good. Can't see us getting near the top two without three more top players (CB, AM, Striker)

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It's weak how people look for ways to dig City about signing two of Europe's best young players. If we signed those two, we'd all be over the moon.

I'm happy to see a top draw talent coming to the PL. For all the talk that it would be us splashing the cash and signing superstars, City have gone out and bought three top, top players.
Otamendi couldnt even make the Argenitna world cup squad last year. One good season doesnt make you a "top,top player".

Also Sterling isnt even close either to being a "top top player".

De Bruyne has it all to prove in the PL.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Otamendi couldnt even make the Argenitna world cup squad last year. One good season doesnt make you a "top,top player".

Agreed however while the context today is sound, the potential is that they will all thrive at City over the next 12-24 months so paying top dollar for them becomes justifiable.

Wonder how KDB will perform on a loose inside right attacking midfield role assuming Navas gets dropped. Should be enough movement from Aguero and Sterling ahead of him, Silva beside him and Toure from deep to provide him plenty of options.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Nah, there are no regrets regarding KDB. He was LukakuMK2.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He was in a squad with some extremely good AM's, what exactly was Mourinho supposed to do? Just drop players who were training and playing much better than him, just because his potential was excellent? Jose's entire managing philosophy is based around the players giving everything for the team, and the players who earn the places get them. What's really crazy is the idea that De Bruyne was supposedly amazing but Jose didn't pick him because.. he doesn't like world class talent?
He was supposed to show faith in an obviously talented young player. Bringing Willian in just two weeks after his debut (when he could've got two assists in the first 15 minutes) was just confirmation that Mourinho still only cares about the short term and that he values diligent defending over creativity in his attacking players. He wasn't an amazing player, he was a work in progress that needed the trust and patience of his manager and Mourinho had no interest in giving him that when he could just go out and spend £30m on the finished product.

Do City have the best team seen in the Prem since United 09? I think they have if they get him.
It'll almost definitely be the best attack in PL history if Aguero and Silva stay for a couple more years and that attack grows together.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?

They are top players though and probably the best signings between the Manchester clubs.. Sterling and De Bruyne are players who could change a game with something special, and although Sterling is a twat, he is still going to improve and with his pace and skill will be scary in a few years time, and De Bruyne is a very good player who like Mata didn't fit Chelsea profile of athletic players, but you cannot argue that these 3 signings have given city a massive boost.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They are top players though and probably the best signings between the Manchester clubs.. Sterling and De Bruyne are players who could change a game with something special, and although Sterling is a twat, he is still going to improve and with his pace and skill will be scary in a few years time, and De Bruyne is a very good player who like Mata didn't fit Chelsea profile of athletic players, but you cannot argue that these 3 signings have given city a massive boost.
I agree they are a great addition to the City squad. But to call them "top,top players" is a stretch. £150mil for three players who are obvious talents but have a long way to go to be "top,top players" shows how crazy and inflated the market is. Worryingly its probably only going to get worse.

GeneralGattuso

I wouldn't... I did not want Sterling. One trick pony, runs a lot, occasionally gets past a man and then plays a short ball, because he can't cross, he has only one foot and he can't finish either. Sterling is potential and nothing more and I don't ever see him coming to much. De Bruyne is a good player, in the right system but even then, amongst the best in the world? No chance. Otamendi is a good purchase, I wanted us to get him, I thought he looked good at RB for Argentina at the previous world cup and he was solid for Valencia last season. De Bruyne would have suited us more than City but for £55m I would have said we were ripped off and everyone would be complaining about how we overpaid because we're Man Utd and everyone knows we have money. For £35m I would have said he was worth it, I'd still have my reservations if he'd make it though, for £35m it would be worth finding out, for £55m I would expect the finished article who wins games all by himself.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
So will De Bruyne play as a 10 and push Silva out wide?

MarkC

I'm not really a big follower of German football but can anybody tell me what is going to be different about this lad at City than at Chelsea? One of those names that gets hyped up I remember at Chelsea watching him and didn't look anything special. Now all of a sudden he is worth 50-60 million? Is there anything to say he isn't going to flop at City in the same way he did previously in England?

I take stats from the German league with a pinch of salt, obviously the guy has talent and a lot of people think so but is it not a bit of a gamble to pay that? For him to flop so spectacularly at Chelsea would make me think he hasn't got the right mentality which all the talent in the world won't make up for.

Unlikely lad

I'm not really a big follower of German football but can anybody tell me what is going to be different about this lad at City than at Chelsea? One of those names that gets hyped up I remember at Chelsea watching him and didn't look anything special. Now all of a sudden he is worth 50-60 million? Is there anything to say he isn't going to flop at City in the same way he did previously in England?

I take stats from the German league with a pinch of salt, obviously the guy has talent and a lot of people think so but is it not a bit of a gamble to pay that? For him to flop so spectacularly at Chelsea would make me think he hasn't got the right mentality which all the talent in the world won't make up for.
He played 9 games for Chelsea when he was 21. 3 in the league, 3 the in the league cup and 3 in the Europa League/CL.

Is that really a better barometer to measure how good he is compared to all the time he's spent in a team that's finished 2nd in the Bundesliga?

Jagga7

Insane amount of money for him, City's team looks really well balanced at the moment so I hoping he messes their shape up.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I hope they do, because I doubt DeBruyne can be as brilliant as Silva is behind the striker
Even when Silva plays out wide, he's not strictly out wide, he drifts everywhere as he does in the 10 role behind the striker. The key difference is that when somebody else is out wide (e.g Navas) then Silva just does the same thing in slightly more space. I imagine both of Silva and De Bruyne will drift, and De Bruyne is good enough to need defensive attention, so hopefully Silva still has that extra space but we'll see.

Unlikely lad

Even when Silva plays out wide, he's not strictly out wide, he drifts everywhere as he does in the 10 role behind the striker. The key difference is that when somebody else is out wide (e.g Navas) then Silva just does the same thing in slightly more space. I imagine both of Silva and De Bruyne will drift, and De Bruyne is good enough to need defensive attention, so hopefully Silva still has that extra space but we'll see.
I agree, but I do think having Silva behind the striker for a whole game (with De Bruyne on the right) is probably the better option. To be fair, either way is fecking brilliant :mad:

Unlikely lad

Insane amount of money for him, City's team looks really well balanced at the moment so I hoping he messes their shape up.
Yep; Navas has been rather wank, but he does stretch defences with Sterling on the other side, giving Silva more space. We'll see how it works out soon, but a frontline with that much class is still pretty unreal.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.

He played 9 games for Chelsea when he was 21. 3 in the league, 3 the in the league cup and 3 in the Europa League/CL.

Is that really a better barometer to measure how good he is compared to all the time he's spent in a team that's finished 2nd in the Bundesliga?
On that specific point, Matic was in a similar position - young and not playing often - and they bought him back.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
I agree they are a great addition to the City squad. But to call them "top,top players" is a stretch. £150mil for three players who are obvious talents but have a long way to go to be "top,top players" shows how crazy and inflated the market is. Worryingly its probably only going to get worse.
how much they spend on these players is irrelevant and not really an argument when deciding if its a good signing or not. the fact is KDB is one of the worlds up and coming,but he is at that level where a club can take a gamble on him. we did the same with rooney and £30m for him at 18/19 now seems a steal.
KDB whether he goes in the starting line-up of not will be a massive boost to any team.

Jagga7

how much they spend on these players is irrelevant and not really an argument when deciding if its a good signing or not. the fact is KDB is one of the worlds up and coming,but he is at that level where a club can take a gamble on him. we did the same with rooney and £30m for him at 18/19 now seems a steal.
KDB whether he goes in the starting line-up of not will be a massive boost to any team.
Yeh totally agree. Top young talent is always highly valued. It's the same in every sport, we also did spend 30mill on Shaw ourselves.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

It's exactly the same situation as Pogba, really. Neither of them got a chance when they were in England. It's a silly amount of money but that's such a small factor in this. They can take the loss. There's always a risk he won't adapt to a completely different playing style and role but the money doesn't have significantly impact the risk from City's perspective. It's just a number for fans and the media to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.