Kieran Tierney

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So it's looking more and more like that he's our prime target for the LB position.

Manutd1990

Should we really be looking to the SPL, for our new starting left back? I have never seen the lad play. Is he that good?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Should we really be looking to the SPL, for our new starting left back? I have never seen the lad play. Is he that good?
I don't think we should think so much about what league he is playing. If our scouts/coaches rate the player then it makes sense to go for him.

VVD, Wanyama are from SPL and then players like Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Eriksen are from Dutch league.

RoLo

According to the papers.

I think Jose would rather go for Sandro
Sandro is several levels above Tierney currently and would clearly be the better short term signing. Tierney would be the more traditional United signing due to his British roots. If I had to put money on it I'd say that Jose is more likely to prefer the ready made option.

Flytan

Sandro is several levels above Tierney currently and would clearly be the better short term signing. Tierney would be the more traditional United signing due to his British roots. If I had to put money on it I'd say that Jose is more likely to prefer the ready made option.
Sandro is 27. He's a long term signing too

Bestietom

Tierney is a very good player who always gives 110%. He would improve even more here, IMO

RoLo

Sandro is 27. He's a long term signing too
Short term was probably the wrong phrsae but he's 7 years older than Tierney so he's a shorter term signing. Would probably have 5 years left in the game as opposed to a dozen for Tierney.

For the record I'd prefer Sandro of the two.

Super Mokh

Tierney is a good player imo. Always committed and gave 100%, plus he is already captained celtic and scotland if im not mistaken. If SAF was still in charge he would have love this type of signing.
Sandro is good but Tierney has the potential.

Dr. StrangeHate

Just get Sandro. I don't want to see Young back in at left back as soon as Kieran has a bad game. Jose doesn't trust younger players in important matches, don't put him in that position again. Just get him established players.

Deleted member 101472

Just get Sandro. I don't want to see Young back in at left back as soon as Kieran has a bad game. Jose doesn't trust younger players in important matches, don't put him in that position again. Just get him established players.
Did you not see Scott McTominay start against Sevilla away, and both the Chelsea and Liverpool home games?

Sanche7

I feel we will be buying two LBs, a starter and a backup.
We have been linked with many LBs in the past month or two. If we look at some of them and their rumored prices, it seems we are looking for a cheap lb and a costlier option

Rose : 40-50 mill
Sandro : 50 mill plus
Ghoulam : 30-35 mill euros
Tierney : 25-30 mill
Kurzawa : 25-30 mill euros

Maybe I'm reading too much into this or maybe we are after two FBs.
The second one could be someone like Sidibe even who can play RB and LB. Same with Tierney who can play LB/RB
It does make sense to go for two LBs if we have the funds as Shaw is most probably gone along with Blind and Young alone is not enough.
Also if we sell Darmian, we will have no back up to Valencia for RB
My prediction would be a top LB with someone who is primarily a LB bit can also play RB & Valencia / Young for the next year

Dr. StrangeHate

Did you not see Scott McTominay start against Sevilla away, and both the Chelsea and Liverpool home games?
I saw him getting dropped at home in our most important match of the season despite playing very well before as soon as an experienced player was available.
I am sure Kieran is a good player but when the team is against it Jose turns to experience. That is just who he is. We can't risk Ashley Young being our first choice left back if there is a deficiency in Kieran's game due to his lack of experience.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
How much would he cost? Surely, they'd accept 20-25mil. For a young prospect coming from Scotland I think it would be a great price. Only seen highlights on YT but looks to be guaranteed TOP6 player. If the likes of Davies/Trippier/Rose can make it for Tottenham... if not us, someone will sign him and his price will rise but I think Celtic might like the money.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
How much would he cost? Surely, they'd accept 20-25mil. For a young prospect coming from Scotland I think it would be a great price. Only seen highlights on YT but looks to be guaranteed TOP6 player. If the likes of Davies/Trippier/Rose can make it for Tottenham... if not us, someone will sign him and his price will rise but I think Celtic might like the money.
Great goal but didn't Mitchell score a similar effort?

Point is,defenders sometimes score great goals but ultimately it's their defending that's the key. How is he at that though?

Dante

Average bang
Mourinho is like Fergie in that he likes to have 11 captains on the pitch. If Tierney has those leadership skills as a 21 year old, he'll be right up Jose's street.

Assuming he's got the requisite engine and technique, everything else can be ironed out.

Kag

I don't like how the Shaw situation has been handled but it's time to accept that it hasn't worked and it isn't going to work while Mourinho remains in charge.

With that being the case, we need a reliable left back desperately. I'm sure Tierney is talented, but by bringing him in alone we're essentially replacing potential with potential (albeit attitude may be better).

I'm coming to the conclusion that we need to do a bit of a City re. full backs this summer. Bring in Tierney as cover and competition, by all means - the less I see of Young the better. But if we're doing that then a more experienced, 'short term' option is also needed. Be it Alex Sandro or whoever the next flavour of the month is.

There's no excuse for Ashley Young at left back all of next season. Needs sorting.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Great goal but didn't Mitchell score a similar effort?

Point is,defenders sometimes score great goals but ultimately it's their defending that's the key. How is he at that though?
I don't disagree with you, it might be hard to see how the player is defensively from the compilations but I reckon that even defenders should have something extra in them and should know how to attack for fullbacks for sure. Because defending can be learnt but that extra bit of flair, great dribbling, cross or a shot usually comes with talent and is very hard to train.

As for Mitchell, would love to be given chance but I don't think Mourinho fancies him, he's too short and not strong enough. Also he's injury prone which will eventually mean if he makes or breaks it in the premier league

ROFLUTION

Rashford and Martial are young and both starting big games..

TrebleFan99

Rashford and Martial are young and both starting big games..
They’re not playing every game though. I’m not sold on bringing Tierney in to play half of our games either.

I think it makes sense to bring in the finished article for LB like Sandro. Maybe Tierney can be backup or we promote a youth player as backup.

Kostov

Can those who have followed Alex Sandro describe what are his outstanding qualities that make him such a clear candidate for the 50-60m quoted?

I haven't seen him regularly and I can't comment with certainty, but what are his strengths compared to other candidates? For the record I'd take Tierney, before anyone available on the market.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think it makes sense to bring in the finished article for LB like Sandro. Maybe Tierney can be backup or we promote a youth player as backup.
On the flipside Mourinho bought Bailly when he was 22 and he players most matches when he is fit and he bought Mkhitaryan as a finished article and stopped playing him when wasn't delivering.

Castia

Still think we’ll end up with Danny Rose but Tierney could be a good option especially given his age and potential.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Rose has barely played for Spurs and when he has, hasn't been that impressive. I doubt we will go for him given the price Spurs would want.