Kieran Tierney

Litch

Who is world class? And what does it matter where he plays right now? No hidden agenda mate, just two examples of two 25 year olds with heads of a teenager. There are countless examples of quality players coming from weak leagues, it's a nothing argument, give over.

We need both, proven quality and potential. Over the years potential has proven much more valuable than ''proven quality'' for us, either you like it or not. We've had so many big name flops and yet people still regard that we can just buy proven quality with zero risk.
Again you seem to be making points like it's a broad brush. Did I actually say no players come to top teams from lower leagues? The comment about potential has proven more than quality is with the benefit of hindsight as you seem to forget the hundreds of potential including within our own club that never made the grain. Easy to remember the ones once they have been successful. Theres risk in all signings and not sure I suggested that transfers are a science.
It's not a science but for me proven quality that's been tested at the highest level against the best players as an experiment will always be the better option than someone who hasn't. Based on your theory, you wouldn't sign Messi but would rather a very good lad with loads of 'potential' from a championship side. The lad may go on to be better than Messi but I know where my money is going irrespective of a crystal ball. It's a shame you don't apply the same theory about Pogba has clearly he has lots of Potential too....pay your money, you take your chance.

Kostov

Again you seem to be making points like it's a broad brush. Did I actually say no players come to top teams from lower leagues? The comment about potential has proven more than quality is with the benefit of hindsight as you seem to forget the hundreds of potential including within our own club that never made the grain. Easy to remember the ones once they have been successful. Theres risk in all signings and not sure I suggested that transfers are a science.
It's not a science but for me proven quality that's been tested at the highest level against the best players as an experiment will always be the better option than someone who hasn't. Based on your theory, you wouldn't sign Messi but would rather a very good lad with loads of 'potential' from a championship side. The lad may go on to be better than Messi but I know where my money is going irrespective of a crystal ball. It's a shame you don't apply the same theory about Pogba has clearly he has lots of Potential too....pay your money, you take your chance.
You don't even know what are you arguing about. You said the dressing room needed men not boys, I just pointed out age and where they come from doesn't mean whether they will come men or boys. I didn't say Tienry was a better player than Sando neither, nor of bigger status of Pogba and Jesse, just that he has a better head on his shoulder. That's in my opinion as well.

Taking Messi as example is such a weak argument, as Sandro is nowhere near as good in his position as Messi is. And no, I wouldn't prefer this option in every case, i do in this one, since I rate Tierney highly. Why would I apply the same for Pogba? We paid record fee for him since we needed a MF and he was one of the best MF in the world already, almost two years after that he looks like a disappointment.

Tierney at the age of 20 has been playing regularly in the biggest club in his country, captaining it, and the national team also. Don't get me wrong, Sandro is a better player right now, but proven means nothing more often than not, it's different with every player. There are players who will do their job regardless of the surrounding or where he plays and is no guarantee than Sandro will adapt straight away and Tierney will not. Some of the best players in our last 20 years came as young players having to prove everything. And yeah there were lots of examples where they didn't make it, but the risk on Tierney for 30m is far less than 60m on Sandro, and with potential for a better player.

Web of Bissaka

I agree with this. As much as I would really like to see us sign him, he's such a huge Celtic fan and such a key player for them it's no guarantee that he would move. It's an admirable trait, especially in this day and age.
Interesting and agreed. So there's the possibility he'll stay there all his career, one-club man.

Still, I think we should kept on bidding/enquiry Celtic about him,
  1. to show our ongoing interests so he'll know and consider about it (it's always nice knowing there are clubs interested in you).
  2. in case suddenly Celtic wants to sell, for financial reasons or whatever.
  3. in case suddenly Tierney wants to leave, for whatever reasons.
  4. to maybe deter other rival clubs from getting him, flex our financial and brand muscles.

Lougie86

Supports
Partick Thistle
I think he wants to stay and develop as a player at his boyhood team, potentially captaining them to a record breaking 10 league titles in a row and then he would leave. If they achieved that he'd still only be 24.

As others have said though, if the Celtic board receive a large enough offer than they might not be able to turn it down.

For what it's worth I think he's a great player and would instantly slot in at left back for us and improve the team immediately.

And as for comparisons with Shaw, by all accounts their attitudes couldn't be any more different. Chalk and cheese.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He'd be my number one priority this summer to sign. I'm sick to death of our fullbacks and Tierney can slot straight in and play for years. He plays most games and from what I've seen is consistently good. He'd be loved at old Trafford and would sort out our biggest problem position. Get Tierney, a centre back and a centre mid and we're laughing for next season.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Interesting and agreed. So there's the possibility he'll stay there all his career, one-club man.

Still, I think we should kept on bidding/enquiry Celtic about him,
  1. to show our ongoing interests so he'll know and consider about it (it's always nice knowing there are clubs interested in you).
  2. in case suddenly Celtic wants to sell, for financial reasons or whatever.
  3. in case suddenly Tierney wants to leave, for whatever reasons.
  4. to maybe deter other rival clubs from getting him, flex our financial and brand muscles.
Yup, we definitely need to show our interest and try, I agree.

When you can hit them like this...

That was an absolute peach :drool:

He'd be my number one priority this summer to sign. I'm sick to death of our fullbacks and Tierney can slot straight in and play for years. He plays most games and from what I've seen is consistently good. He'd be loved at old Trafford and would sort out our biggest problem position. Get Tierney, a centre back and a centre mid and we're laughing for next season.
I would add a RB to that list as well, and we should be ready to finally challenge again. Two new fullbacks would give us much needed width to our play that at the moment is nonexistent.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I would add a RB to that list as well, and we should be ready to finally challenge again. Two new fullbacks would give us much needed width to our play that at the moment is nonexistent.
Yeah I think a RB would be great too but I just can't see us even being in for one. Maybe TFM can come in and make the position his own. It has to be said though the difference between our current fullbacks and the top teams fullbacks is staggering. We havent kept up with modern football as far as fullback is concerned.

Deleted member 101472

Currently some tension between Tierney, his representatives and the Celtic board. Potential transfer fees beginning to be discussed. Zero meetings set up with mourinho, who will be at the game tomorrow.

Tierney unhappy with the distraction and told everyone he wants to concentrate on the semi final (typical thing for him to do)

Last edited by a moderator:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Currently some tension between Tierney, his representatives and the Celtic board. Potential transfer fees beginning to be discussed. Zero meetings set up with mourinho, who will be at the game tomorrow.

Tierney unhappy with the distraction and told everyone he wants to concentrate on the semi final (typical thing for him to do)
Mourinho at the Celtic game? Isn't he supposed to be managing United then?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

What?

Deleted member 101472

Yup and that still stands. As mentioned, Celtic can’t turn down a £20m bid let alone the many more millions he could potentially go for. He wants to stay, the club would love to if it made financial sense but money rules heart over at parkhead mate.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Yup and that still stands. As mentioned, Celtic can’t turn down a £20m bid let alone the many more millions he could potentially go for. He wants to stay, the club would love to if it made financial sense but money rules heart over at parkhead mate.
No one says no to a greater professional challenge that comes with more than 3x the pay.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Surely if Tierney wants to stay, Celtic can hardly force him out? £20m would be a steal in today's market.

Deleted member 101472

Surely if Tierney wants to stay, Celtic can hardly force him out? £20m would be a steal in today's market.
I can’t explain to you how money motivated the Celtic board are. Sure, they love the club but they want to get paid. You wave 20million at them, they’ll cave eventually. 3 million of that will go to Brendan and the rest goes straight in the pocket of the decision men. All it takes is hard bargaining from United.

@SwansonsTache trust me, he’s as close as you’ll get to a footballer being honest when they say they won’t leave for the challenge and the money. He knows he’ll retire a multimillionaire if he stays at Celtic, and likely have a job for life at the club. He’s as loyal as they come.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
trust me, he’s as close as you’ll get to a footballer being honest when they say they won’t leave for the challenge and the money. He knows he’ll retire a multimillionaire if he stays at Celtic, and likely have a job for life at the club. He’s as loyal as they come.
While admirable in it's own right, it might mean that the hunger isn't there?

Deleted member 101472

While admirable in it's own right, it might mean that the hunger isn't there?
It might mean that but I think at this stage and this age, it’s best to chalk it up to him being a young boy literally fulfilling his wildest dreams. He got a good introduction to the business side of the sport with his old agent too, Raymond sparks, he’s not your typical money grabbing wanker agent thats almost a stereotype of the profession now. He’d definitely have kept tierney at Celtic as long as possible if that’s what his client instructed and never once looked to put him in the shop window. His current representatives are not lifelong Celtic fans, and more likely to focus on the money side of things.

All in all it doesn’t matter because he’s shown that he’s more than capable of being a very good left back, and at this point he deserves a crack in the premier league. He’s at the same level as Andy Robertson and if given the chance, will develop into a better player (in most peoples opinion). Therefore, The Celtic board know they have a very valuable asset. What’s annoying about it is that they wouldn’t even play hardball, if United do go for him it’s so easy for Celtic to be in the driving seat for the negotiations. “You paid this much for luke Shaw, Kieran is better. You desperately need a left back, and we can give you one of the best young ones in the uk”

Celtic should be demanding no less than £30million but they won’t. So I’m in a personal catch 22 because we could end up with a potentially brilliant left back at a major cut price, but my other club will have done a bad piece of business and then invest very little of it back into the club.