g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Kim Min-jae | signed for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son

The reason why we are trying to bring Kim Min Jae, Mount, Harry Kane (or Højlund) is because ETH wants to play back three for sure with alternative options:

Primary formation:

------------------H.Kane-------------Rashford-------------------
--------Mount/Eriksen-------------B.Fernandes------------
L. Shaw----------------Casemiro-------------Wan-Bissaka
---------L.Martinez---R.Varane---Kim Min Jae----------
-----------------------------DDG/GK----------------------------------

Now this seems more like the best-in-Europe squad even in comparison to Real Madrid and Man City.

(1) With the above, we have 4 very defensive minded players to shut down and pocket any forwards in the Europe:

> Casemiro, Martinez, Varane and KMJ

(2) We have 3 very fast paced defenders to beat the likes of Haaland, Salah and Son Heung Min:

>Wan-Bissaka, KMJ and Martinez

(3) We have 4 very fast recovery defensive players:

KMJ, Mount, Casemiro and Martinez

(4) We have 3 goal scoring players:

> Kane, Rashford and B.Fernandez

(5) We have 2 - 3 very creative players for assists:

> Kane and B.Fernandez/ Eriksen

(6) We have 3 huge defensive physical presence:

> KMJ, Varane and Casemiro

(7) We have one very good attacking physical presence:

> Kane (or Højlund)

(8) We have 2 fast paced attacking minded players (wingforward/ wingback):

> Wan-Bissaka and Rashford

(9) We have 2 binding players:

> Mount ans Casemiro

This by far is the most viable tactical formation for ETH and us; And arguably is far better than playing two CBs at the back with one CB sitting on the bench whilst fit.
We have absolutely zero deep lying playmaker in that formation.

6 defenders on the pitch. 7 if we include the keeper and only 4 attacking players. How do we control a game against the best teams?

I wouldn’t be impressed having Shaw and AWB as attacking wing backs and Lindelof covering 3 CB roles.

If he brings in both Cancelo and Hakimi and 2 more ball playing CB’s… I might think he’s onto something :lol:

sleepehead

I don't understand the negativity surrounding KMJ. We literally just limped through the end of the season with Martinez being out and Varane being injured towards the end of the season. I think for a starting quality CB this is a no brainer. This gives us more flexibility in so many ways. Also no one ever said that this would be the end of transfers this summer. Our transfers don't have to be in a certain order. And also I think our transfer budget is going to be higher than we think, and we are definitely going to be selling more players than we expect.

If DvB, Maguire, Tells, Bailly, Henderson leave that's a lot of salary and probably around 60-70 million in transfer fees. We can still lose Fred and Mctominay too for more cash and fees

RRCE

This would be a brilliant piece of business for United. While CB may not be our most pressing need, it’s clearly still an area that could, and should, be strengthened. Assuming he can be convinced to join, KMJ represents tremendous “value in the market”, as Sir Alex used to say. He’s available for a sum significantly below his true market value - not a situation we’ve found ourselves in very often over the last ten years. It’s a smart move, and one we’d be foolish not to try take advantage of. I hope the stories are true and we get this one over the line.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if we tried the 3241 ala City at times. Drops into a 433 when defending.

De Gea
Kim - Varane - Martinez
Casemiro - Shaw
Antony - Bruno - Eriksen - Garnacho
Rashford​
It works for city because they’re so good in positional play. We’d have to have weeks of training with it.

nainaisson

Primary formation:

------------------H.Kane-------------Rashford-------------------
--------Mount/Eriksen-------------B.Fernandes------------
L. Shaw----------------Casemiro-------------Wan-Bissaka
---------L.Martinez---R.Varane---Kim Min Jae----------
-----------------------------DDG/GK----------------------------------
Ten Hag spent 100m on Antony so he could bench him and play Wan-Bissaka as wing-back. Of course!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If he comes, it’s to compete with Lindelof and Varane(whose fitness is 50-50).

Rake

A lot of chatter by the Italian journos, which does not strike me as promising. If a deal was as close as they claim, surely English journos would have been in the loop by now.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
So why are people so invested in this then?

Martinez and Varane are our two first choice defenders, why would a 25-year old established defender come in (at that price) to sit on the bench potentially? I don't see ETH going three at the back next season. What gives?
We moan our squad isn't good enough. We look to improve it. We complain about that.

City have Stones, Dias and Laporte. It will be okay.

Rake

We moan our squad isn't good enough. We look to improve it. We complain about that.

City have Stones, Dias and Laporte. It will be okay.
We need players that can force each other out of the team, not 2 nailed on starters and dross as their back-up. Then we will be able to rotate properly.

dinostar77

So why are people so invested in this then?

Martinez and Varane are our two first choice defenders, why would a 25-year old established defender come in (at that price) to sit on the bench potentially? I don't see ETH going three at the back next season. What gives?
Varane is injury prone, we need 4 CBs to compete across all competitions. Maguire is leaving and jae will replace him as we as being an upgrade on maguire.

Cloud7

There's always something to be said for having two different styles of defender as part of a CB partnership, but I will admit that two aggressive CB's is a pairing that I've always found exciting to watch. Pepe and Ramos were one of my favorite non United CB pairings. Him and Lisandro would be fun.

Last edited:

Matt007a

Varane is too injury prone. I think Kim would fancy his chances of forcing his way into the team next to Martinez before too long.

If we are selling both Maguire and Bailly we can’t rely on Lindelof as the only backup. I’d be very happy with this signing and I think the price is reasonable in todays market.

stevoc

The reason why we are trying to bring Kim Min Jae, Mount, Harry Kane (or Højlund) is because ETH wants to play back three for sure with alternative options:
Ever since SAF retired there's always someone that convinces themselves that every new manager signing a certain player means they're planning to employ a 352 formation.

Bar Van Gaal for a short period they weren't. I doubt Tan Hag is planning to do it either.

stevoc

Why are you so confident he will switch to a back 3? It's not gonna happen.
There are people who lie awake at night fantasising about 3 at the back formations. Going through all the possible permutations of where Fred will play and convincing themselves that yes Van Gaal/Jose/Solskjaer/Ralf/Erik is definitely planning on playing 3 at the back.

He has to be.

quadrant

For me its just a question of priorities. I agree we need to improve our options at CB, its just that we need to improve our attacking, midfield and GK options even more. If there's some musical chairs we can do that involves us getting our first choices in attack, midfield, defence and keeper all in one summer, then I have no problem with spending on a CB too. But I cant really see how that can happen. Failing that, I see defence as our least pressing part of the pitch to improve.

dinostar77

At the moment im not believing a word, until its signed, sealed and delievered. No way we get a run at one of the worlds best CBs, without some other club also wanting him.

dinostar77

For me its just a question of priorities. I agree we need to improve our options at CB, its just that we need to improve our attacking, midfield and GK options even more. If there's some musical chairs we can do that involves us getting our first choices in attack, midfield, defence and keeper all in one summer, then I have no problem with spending on a CB too. But I cant really see how that can happen. Failing that, I see defence as our least pressing part of the pitch to improve.
Its one in (jae), one out (maguire). Really not that difficult to understand. You need 4 CBs to see you through a season.

Theres obviously money for a striker and a no8. Beyond that, no idea if they have the funds to buy the keeper they want. But selling hendersen will help fund any keeper competition for de gea.

Mcking

Difficult to get excited about another center back with De Gea still odds on to be our first choice goalkeeper next season. This lad just feels like another defender that will come and go without having any significant impact as has been the case for the last decade.

dinostar77

Difficult to get excited about another center back with De Gea still odds on to be our first choice goalkeeper next season. This lad just feels like another defender that will come and go without having any significant impact as has been the case for the last decade.
What?!? Martinez had an impact. Varane had an impact. Jae just won serie A with Napoli, is in the prime of his career and one of the best CBs in the world.

mikeyt

I do tend to agree, Kim would be a top signing and an incredible upgrade on Maguire but with a second rate GK it would be a waste. I'm hoping with Henderson being sold to Forest along with Maguire set to leave by all accounts, we may be able to fund a new GK. That being said he's one hell of a player who I'd welcome!

dinostar77

The legendary AC Milan backline of tassotti, baresi, costacurta and maldini. Played with Rossi in goal, who was never capped by italy.

If your defence is rock solid, you put your keeper under less pressure.

Mcking

What?!? Martinez had an impact. Varane had an impact. Jae just won serie A with Napoli, is in the prime of his career and one of the best CBs in the world.
What impact? Martinez have had one decent season. Varane have had a decent one, and played in another season where we were completely rubbish. We've conceded about 100 goals in the last two.

I haven't said anything about Min-Jae's quality, but for as long as De Gea remains No.1, I don't see any quality he has translating here for a significant period of time.

gajender

The legendary AC Milan backline of tassotti, baresi, costacurta and maldini. Played with Rossi in goal, who was never capped by italy.

Was he a complete Liability like De Gea who needs His Whole defense to be within five yard of him to even pass off as average keeper.

Everything about our defense is geared towards minimising and protecting De Gea's limitations but still he manages to sabotage United regularly and No amount of new faces in backline would change that he needs to go .

Last edited:

quadrant

Its one in (jae), one out (maguire). Really not that difficult to understand. You need 4 CBs to see you through a season.

Theres obviously money for a striker and a no8. Beyond that, no idea if they have the funds to buy the keeper they want. But selling hendersen will help fund any keeper competition for de gea.
The money we would get for Henderson & Maguire is already required to pay for midfield and attackers. However you cut it, spending on CB reduces our spend in other areas.

cheekybackheel

Military service? Christ, thats a gamble for us.

I hope its not like Dads' Army out there. Would be typical if we pay £50m for him, to then find he's been shot in the foot by Lance Corporal Jones.

Mcking

I have watched De Gea try to keep goal for a decade at this club. He's been the only constant in a defence that has conceded loads almost every season. Martinez and Min-Jae no matter how good they are, are not going to perform like Maldini and Baresi with him in goal considering how good Premier League teams are now at putting pressure with and without the ball. They will always come up short when it matters.

I just think blowing 50m or so on Min-Jae is completely unnecessary for now when we haven't addressed the elephant in the room. We are just going to need to blow another 50m on another center back next season after another season of conceding plenty and coming up short in the big games. We have more important positions to sort out they usually say, before spending big on another CB who improves nothing. It's the same thing every summer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We don’t have to wait till July through? We could enter an agreement to pay the release clause which will be active in July? All the reports just talk about him being on the radar or a priority rather than being any closer to signing him.

daba

My read on this is that it’s virtually done. English journo’s probs don’t have the contacts with Kim Min-Jae’s agent like the Italians do, hence why the vast majority of leaks have come from Italy.

Utd themselves probably don’t want to give away too much given we’re 3 weeks away from being able to activate the clause and nothing is ever for certain.

Romano talking about it gives some backing to the rumours we’ve been hearing and it sounds like Todibo or Disasi are going to be our plan B. Don’t know much about either of those apart from Todibo being a bit of a wonderkid previously, who looked like he was going in the wrong direction but seems to have kicked on now?

aeh1991

Military service? Christ, thats a gamble for us.
He just has to complete a basic military camp as he has won the Asian Games 2018 and thus is exempted from the usual 1.5 years service.
Same thing that Son did in Summer 2020 and Hwang (Wolves) did last year.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We don’t have to wait till July through? We could enter an agreement to pay the release clause which will be active in July? All the reports just talk about him being on the radar or a priority rather than being any closer to signing him.
Yeah I find it weird. If we intend to pay it and he's happy to come here then why not just do the deal now? It's not like they could wait for a bidding war. They'll only get the one price.

Status
Not open for further replies.