Klopp Confirmed Liverpool Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
A good manager can make a huge difference. Klopp is, undoubtedly, a very good manager. But you have to wonder how quick he can change things. Alex Ferguson may have proved himself one of the all time greats, but in his early years he was under immense pressure and nearly lost his job on at least one occasion. That was at a time when United were on a barron run, similar to Liverpool's current run.
However, despite the barron years and even a trip to the second tier, United still had huge support. That, along with the fact that the cash explosion in English football hadn't happened yet, meant that United were still able to compete for the best players of the time. Whiteside, Robson, McGrath and more would have walked into the Liverpool team.

The footballing landscape is very different now in England. More clubs have more money. Even the likes of West Ham have the money to compete for more than decent players. Payet and Mahrez at Leicester are evidence of that. You then have the four big money super powers. City and Chelsea have obviously had their influxes of cash, Arsenal have been very prudent for years and are now a genuinely rich club and United are well, United.

I think Klopp is good enough to deliver a league title at Liverpool, if given enough time. But that's the problem. Time is not a luxury afforded to managers any more. So it all depends on what the Liverpool fans and board consider to be success and how long they are willing to wait to win a league title. I certainly don't think four years is enough.

So in my opinion, for Klopp to win a league title with Liverpool he will have to be still in the job four years from now. So what kind of success would be needed to keep in the job for that long. Would the Liverpool board be happy with consistently being in the top four? Would that keep him in a job for more than four years? I think it would. But even that task won't be easy. Consistently being in the top four at the expense of Chelsea, United, City or Arsenal is an incredibly difficult task. He can do it once, no doubt. Take the season before last for example, when United dropped out. But if any of those four clubs drop out of the top four, they have the ability to spend huge amounts of cash to ensure it was an anomoly. To be a top four team consistently will be nearly as difficult as winning a league.

If he manages that I think his job will be safe beyond his current contract. If he doesn't, what will keep him in a job? A couple of cup wins? Or if he fails to make Liverpool a top four team on a consistent basis, should he lose his job? Looking solely at the finances of it all (I know it's horrible, but that's the way football has gone), is expecting Liverpool to be a top four team every year fair or achievable?
Of course, you''re right.
Scolari came as a world cup winner to Chelsea and failed.
AVB failed at Spurs and Chelsea as well. There is always the chance that it won't work for whatever reason.

I would expect him to get a 5th or 6th place this season. They should challenge for Top4 though if Chelsea don't fire Mourinho (here's me thinking that Mourinho will only prolong the plight.) And the latter point may have been the nail in the coffin for Rodgers. The chief execs would probably aim for top 4 now with Chelsea seemingly out of the race. They probably saw Chelsea's problem as a great opportunity. So there was a good chance that they would reach it anyway, but they didn't trust him enough. And looking especially at their Europa League performance quite rightly so.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
A fair assessment of the strength of the league and how Liverpool need time with Klopp to get close to their goal - the title.

However, if you have thought of this then I'm sure the owners understand it as well. If there's no league title in three years then the key measure will be levels of progress. If the team is largely the same then it here are issues. If tangible improvements are noted then you stay the course. Reasonable levels of patience are needed. 25 years of history will tell you why.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Shite source, but found it funny that Liverpool are apparently going to move for Lewandowski.
Moving for a player doesn't mean the player is interested in the move. LFC's chances of getting Lewandowski are equally slim than Gündogan, Hummels or Reus. IMHO, that's the usual media fiction bullshit without a nanogram of evidence for the story.

clarkydaz

The funny part is the poll. 55% believe that he would leave Bayern for Liverpool :lol:.
yes, he will take mediocre wages and give up CL football to move to an 'emotional' club to play for an 'emotional' manager. its all about the emotion

Crossie

Supports
I don't think The Nudist is going to be the next Messiah. He's promised to be champions within 4years and top 4 this year. Nah... I'm not buying it. AVB was supposed to do the same at Chelsea, different managers I know, but there was also a Lot of talk when he arrived there.
Not sure on this one. Klopp said title but I'm quite certain he meant trophy. Title in German is the equivalent to trophy in English.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
yes, he will take mediocre wages and give up CL football to move to an 'emotional' club to play for an 'emotional' manager. its all about the emotion
What's Lewa on at Bayern? I reckon we'd match his wages. Obviously we're not getting him, but we'd be able to pay him enough :D

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't think it would be all that impossible to turn Liverpool into the best team in the league if we're looking at the current top sides. None of us are particularly special teams at the moment in my view. However, that would have to assume that nobody improves and cements themselves as one of the top teams in Europe, which you would think is likely to happen at some point with the money we're all throwing around.

steve9

So the rumours are we are targeting Gundogan, Karius (keeper apparently) and Ruben Neves for January.
The Gündogan rumour could even have legs.

He was very much on his way out of Dortmund already last summer. His original contract ran until summer 2016, but he wanted to leave asap. I can only imagine that he was unhappy with his mere 30k (?) a week salary. Problem was that he just came back from being injured for about a full year and because of that no other club wanted to make him a much better offer yet. So when he failed to get a better offer Dortmund told him they would only keep him if he extended his current contract until 2017, which he then did -- probably not too happily. Smart move by Dortmund.

Now this season for the first time he looks almost like the player he once was, way improved. But he is probably still on the same salary he wasn't happy with anyway. Now he has about 20 months left on a contract he doesn't like.

That's how I remember the situation. The Dortmund insiders have for sure more details on it.

My guess is that Gündogan and Dortmund would listen very carefully if Klopp approached them with a decent amount of money. The boy is only turning 25 in a couple of weeks. There are at least 7 years of very good football left in him.

Varun

Staff

He was very much on his way out of Dortmund already last summer. His original contract ran until summer 2016, but he wanted to leave asap. I can only imagine that he was unhappy with his mere 30k (?) a week salary. Problem was that he just came back from being injured for about a full year and because of that no other club wanted to make him a much better offer yet. So when he failed to get a better offer Dortmund told him they would only keep him if he extended his current contract until 2017, which he then did -- probably not too happily. Smart move by Dortmund.

Now this season for the first time he looks almost like the player he once was, way improved. But he is probably still on the same salary he wasn't happy with anyway. Now he has about 20 months left on a contract he doesn't like.

That's how I remember the situation. The Dortmund insiders have for sure more details on it.

My guess is that Gündogan and Dortmund would listen very carefully if Klopp approached them with a decent amount of money. The boy is only turning 25 in a couple of weeks. There are at least 7 years of very good football left in him.
Gundogan will have a fair few suitors this summer if he keeps his form up. No way will Dortmund sell in the winter window.

steve9

Gundogan will have a fair few suitors this summer if he keeps his form up. No way will Dortmund sell in the winter window.
I think so too. But it's Klopp sitting at Anfield, and Dortmund cannot sell him to a destination he doesn't want to go to. He could also sit out his contract until 2017. I'm pretty sure Dortmund wouldn't like that after they had to let go Lewy for free.

Varun

Staff
I think so too. But it's Klopp sitting at Anfield, and Dortmund cannot sell him to a destination he doesn't want to go to. He could also sit out his contract until 2017. I'm pretty sure Dortmund wouldn't like that after they had let Levy go for free.
Mate, if Real, Bayern or Barca come calling, 2 Klopps won't be enough to get him to Pool. Even if they don't, I don't think Pool can match the financial package other clubs would be offering him. It'd take him relationship with klopp to be something extremely great for him to still move there in that case. If this is the case, why wasn't he extending his contract when Dortmund wanted? Klopp was the boss them and they were doing well.

Crossie

Supports

That's by and large but not entirely accurate from what I've heard from within the club and read from journalists close to BVB.
It's true that Gündogan wanted to leave ASAP last summer, and had sort of an agreement with United; that's why Der Westen was insisting he'd move there.
Dortmund, however, did not agree with United's bid and for reasons you mentioned above, United shied away to pay what Dortmund wanted. Gündogan then explored further options - mainly Bayern and Barcelona. Bayern apparently didn't want him summer 15 but summer 16; Gündogan however wanted Dortmund to get at least a bit of transfer fees; at least that's how Gündogan seems to explain why he did not end up at Bayern.
Barcelona was interested but apparently also not fully convinced to buy him for the asking price, particularly because they couldn't have used him until January.

That's why Gündogan renewed his contract (with an increased salary) for another year. No doubt he will leave Dortmund next summer if not this winter; that's a no-brainer to me. The big question is which club he'll prefer. From every interview, longer or just a few sentences long, he oozes that he sees himself in the league of the finest crop of players on this planet. He's not into building something up but strives for slotting into an already functioning elite team. That's why I don't think he would consider Liverpool in the next future, irrespective of the manager or coach at the helm.

Last edited:

Treble

I don't think it would be all that impossible to turn Liverpool into the best team in the league if we're looking at the current top sides. None of us are particularly special teams at the moment in my view. However, that would have to assume that nobody improves and cements themselves as one of the top teams in Europe, which you would think is likely to happen at some point with the money we're all throwing around.
Very true. It is not as if Liverpool have to beat to the title Messi's Barcelona or Ronaldo's Real or Pep's Bayern. The only team in the PL that looks great on paper is City. But that's on paper. Toure is aready 32, Silva and Kompany will turn 30 next year, Aguero is injury prone. The spin of their team is aging.

steve9

Mate, if Real, Bayern or Barca come calling, 2 Klopps won't be enough to get him to Pool. Even if they don't, I don't think Pool can match the financial package other clubs would be offering him. It'd take him relationship with klopp to be something extremely great for him to still move there in that case. If this is the case, why wasn't he extending his contract when Dortmund wanted? Klopp was the boss them and they were doing well.
I can be wrong but as far as I remember his desire to leave came after Klopp announced his exit.

Crossie

Supports
I can be wrong but as far as I remember his desire to leave came after Klopp announced his exit.
No. Ilkay intended to leave in summer 14 when Klopp was still in full power but Ilkay hadn't even returned from his back injury onto the pitch. He therefore renewed for one year (until summer 16).
It was always clear he wanted to move out, irrespective of the manager in charge.

Last edited:

steve9

Bayern apparently didn't want him summer 15 but summer 16; Gündogan however wanted Dortmund to get at least a bit of transfer fees; at least that's how Gündogan seems to explain why he did not end up at Bayern.
Wow. I didn't know that Ilkay is the first and only real saint among professional football players! LOL!

Crossie

Supports
Wow. I didn't know that Ilkay is the first and only real saint among professional footballer players! LOL!
:lol::lol: Well said! I'm not buying this either, that's why I said this is how he portrays it. The last two years have shown that his family (who's managing him) have a lot to learn in regards to public relations.

Oneunited26

It only just clicked, klopp appeared in south park has stans step dad LOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL

Rafateria

I don't think The Nudist is going to be the next Messiah. He's promised to be champions within 4years and top 4 this year. Nah... I'm not buying it. AVB was supposed to do the same at Chelsea, different managers I know, but there was also a Lot of talk when he arrived there.
What a load of trollop. He didn't promise anything. You are making this up for your own amusement it seems.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
PickledRed must be gutted they've gone and brought in a "name" from the continent...
If the only consideration is trophies won then it's difficult to argue with that. However, it's a pretty simplistic black and white way of looking at it. Experience of managing in the league is a factor. It took Rafa a couple of seasons to get Liverpool's league form to be better than decent whilst having done it all in Spain and the CL.

Based on what he did with his players last season and likelihood that he's a long-term appointment I'm far happier Liverpool ended up with Rodgers than a "name" from the continent. His lack of trophies are more to do with his managerial roles than anything else.

NoPace

Moving for a player doesn't mean the player is interested in the move. LFC's chances of getting Lewandowski are equally slim than Gündogan, Hummels or Reus. IMHO, that's the usual media fiction bullshit without a nanogram of evidence for the story.
Yeah. Klopp's comments about the Bundesliga do suggest he'll look there, but I would think with Liverpool not offering insane wages or being able to compete for a CL (if Klopp can get them to 4th that would certainly help in trying to get a star), he'll look for the next wave. Lots of good, young German players not at Munich or Dortmund yet, and Liverpool could get those.

Liverpool's attack might not need a ton of talent infusion (Benteke up top with Coutinho behind him and Firmino and Sturridge wider looks pretty damn good) but there are early 20's midfielders, defenders and keepers like Xhaka, Hector and Leno who would walk into Liverpool's side and are well within Liverpool's price range.

Crossie

Supports
Yeah. Klopp's comments about the Bundesliga do suggest he'll look there, but I would think with Liverpool not offering insane wages or being able to compete for a CL (if Klopp can get them to 4th that would certainly help in trying to get a star), he'll look for the next wave. Lots of good, young German players not at Munich or Dortmund yet, and Liverpool could get those.

Liverpool's attack might not need a ton of talent infusion (Benteke up top with Coutinho behind him and Firmino and Sturridge wider looks pretty damn good) but there are early 20's midfielders, defenders and keepers like Xhaka, Hector and Leno who would walk into Liverpool's side and are well within Liverpool's price range.
Oh, Klopp will of course look into some hot prospects from the Bundesliga (irrespective of the nationality of the players). I'd expect rumors about Leon Goretzka or Julian Brandt to pop up soon, and AFAIK he also had an eye on GK Timo Horn from Cologne.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Poor Klopp. I'm pretty sure his comment about winning a title within 4 years is totally misunderstood, but there's no way the fans and the media will ever leave it alone now.

He was talking about the need for patience for quite a while in that press conference. And inbetween he made the light-hearted comment that if he's still sitting here in 4 years, he'll probably have won a title or he'll be off to coach in Switzerland. That's so so far away from promising a league title within 4 years. To me it sounded like a dig at the crazy expectations from fans and media and that makes perfect sense in the context of talking about patience, patience, patience.

He should have known better though.

Loon

:lol:
Wow. Hysteria has gripped a lot of the dippers I know. The "Carefully Chose One" soon forgotten...

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
So "a title" can only mean the EPL Championship? Poor Klopp.

Status
Not open for further replies.