Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

Sylar

His announcement of retirement came at the wrong time. Assuming they wanted to get ahead of the story (it got leaked and there would have been rumours?)
But it's one you want as close to the end of the season rather than with half left to play unless you're already walking the league like they did for their COVID league title

2 more you mean. Hardly a handful
Klopp must be hating city and Madrid being around.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
When you consider the circumstances he's been begrudgingly good. He was always the manager i wanted to replace Fergie. Considering the rebuild he had to do and the quality and resources of City he's done very well. And 3 Cl finals is more than the bald one mamaged with City.
I agree with you, but questions have to be asked about their constant collapses.

Two CL finals lost, in one of which they were clearly the superior team, 3 tight title races, all 3 lost.

I considered him hands down the best manager in the world until this season but I am not sure anymore.

erikcred

I agree with you, but questions have to be asked about their constant collapses.

Two CL finals lost, in one of which they were clearly the superior team, 3 tight title races, all 3 lost.

I considered him hands down the best manager in the world until this season but I am not sure anymore.
If so, then this season should only lift him higher in your esteem. He's gone toe to toe with City and Arsenal in what's basically a transition season with a new midfield and Nunez up front. On the other hand, Arsenal added 100m Rice to their title challenging team from last year and City are, well, City.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It's interesting, though; I'm hoping that the penny will drop for Liverpool fans when they see how much the job has taken out of Klopp after only nine years and think about how Sir Alex (until he was seventy-three years old) built and rebuilt great team after great team over three times that timespan, never wavering or appearing depleted as Klopp does now at only fifty-six years old. I realize Fergie's success was painful, but the disrespect your average Liverpool fan shows toward the great man and the disproportionate lauding of Klopp in comparison is off-the-charts ludicrous, and seems to give the lie to their self-image as "knowledgable fans."
No one ever said SAF wasn’t great or have compared Klopp to him. But he did manage the biggest and richest team in the world. Great players wanted to play for united back then and came in droves. SAF had to contend with two great teams in Chelsea and Arsenal and came out on top in the long run because he stayed and united stayed bigger than anyone and since he left united haven’t been within 10 points of any winner in the league of the final day.
What Klopp has done wore him out. He didn’t have the biggest club but had to go against the richest club in history every single year with arguably the best coach of all time in Pep. No one could keep that up unless of course you were as rich and as big. By Klopp going all in with his charged up emotion and brand of managing good players and making them into contenders year after year got the better of him. Putting in his all for the team, the supporters, and the city just completely has worn him down in my opinion. Even when we were winning earlier he wasn’t the same person and hasn’t been for awhile. If the supporters can notice this obviously the players see it as well day in and day out. It has to have affected them. He will probably take a year off unless it’s the national team calling. That’s the only way I see him coaching next year.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I agree he's not flawless, but in one of the title challenges he lost he racked up a higher points tally than SAF ever managed and unlike Pep he wasn't working without a budget. I dont consider Liverpool favourites over Real Madrid really. Cup finals can be jammy as hell. Most fans acknowledge that Bayern were the better team in 99 on the day and in 2008 it was decided by Terry slipping. Without those jammy as hell moments Saf would be without a UCL and Klopp has already reached as many ucl finals as Saf without managing the dominat domestic team.

Real Madrid are fecking beasts at churning out UCL trophies though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No one ever said SAF wasn’t great or have compared Klopp to him. But he did manage the biggest and richest team in the world. Great players wanted to play for united back then and came in droves. SAF had to contend with two great teams in Chelsea and Arsenal and came out on top in the long run because he stayed and united stayed bigger than anyone and since he left united haven’t been within 10 points of any winner in the league of the final day.
What Klopp has done wore him out. He didn’t have the biggest club but had to go against the richest club in history every single year with arguably the best coach of all time in Pep. No one could keep that up unless of course you were as rich and as big. By Klopp going all in with his charged up emotion and brand of managing good players and making them into contenders year after year got the better of him. Putting in his all for the team, the supporters, and the city just completely has worn him down in my opinion. Even when we were winning earlier he wasn’t the same person and hasn’t been for awhile. If the supporters can notice this obviously the players see it as well day in and day out. It has to have affected them. He will probably take a year off unless it’s the national team calling. That’s the only way I see him coaching next year.
SAF joined the biggest club or he made the sleeping giant as the biggest club?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
That’s just downplaying the role Sir Alex did to bring us to that level in the first place.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You would have thought they would have taken note of what happened when SAF announced he was going too early. It was risky and they did not get the reaction from the team they were expecting.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
To call a team that reached 3 UCL finals, and winning one, and winning the EPL with other second place finishes, not 'elite' is batsh*t. They were on par with City those seasons.

For the EPL exclusively, he's obviously below Wenger, Fergie and Jose. Considering that whole career I think he would be on par with Wenger and maybe Jose, though he still may have another stint left in him at another club.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
You would have thought they would have taken note of what happened when SAF announced he was going too early. It was risky and they did not get the reaction from the team they were expecting.
If I remember correctly, Klopp did the same at Dortmund, announcing his exit rather early. It worked well back then, they gained some great form and momentum as a consequence. Certainly a risky move, but it worked before for him

Zen86

That’s just downplaying the role Sir Alex did to bring us to that level in the first place.
And we didn’t spend anywhere near as extravagantly as the average “richest team in the world” in modern times.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If I remember correctly, Klopp did the same at Dortmund, announcing his exit rather early. It worked well back then, they gained some great form and momentum as a consequence. Certainly a risky move, but it worked before for him
Don't think it helps that Salah isn't quite the player he was so they are then relying on Nunez.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Has there really been a downfall since he announced it? I thought Liverpool were going quite well and it all went off the rails after the FA Cup defeat to us. From then on it's been complete downhill.

roonster09

Scout
To call a team that reached 3 UCL finals, and winning one, and winning the EPL with other second place finishes, not 'elite' is batsh*t. They were on par with City those seasons.

For the EPL exclusively, he's obviously below Wenger, Fergie and Jose. Considering that whole career I think he would be on par with Wenger and maybe Jose, though he still may have another stint left in him at another club.
He is calling 2018-2022 as elite team and this one as very good team but not elite.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
If so, then this season should only lift him higher in your esteem. He's gone toe to toe with City and Arsenal in what's basically a transition season with a new midfield and Nunez up front. On the other hand, Arsenal added 100m Rice to their title challenging team from last year and City are, well, City.

Oh don't get me wrong, I feel he is brilliant. However, there is a recurrent pattern of choking when it matters with his sides.

Two years ago, they let it slip against Spurs at home, this time, it is Crystal Palace.

Then there is his less-than-stellar finals record and it is clear that he is really not your man when things are tight.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Their form since we broke them in the FA Cup is beautiful.

L (FA Cup)
W
W
D
L
L
W (2nd leg in CL, so doesn’t really count)
W
L

Their next 3 games include West Ham, Spurs and Villa. So hopefully more dropped points.

Gehrman

And we didn’t spend anywhere near as extravagantly as the average “richest team in the world” in modern times.
True a lot of that was because of the class of 92(fair play to Fergie for deleloping them) and Fergies bargains. Because of our stature though when we became the biggest club in Britain we've been the preferred destination for the best domestic players. Rio, Rooney, Keane and we even poached RVP off Arsenal(i know he is not a domestic player) player but we had advantages over the dippers and arsenal. Not really Chelsea and City when they became oil clubs.

roonster09

Scout
True a lot of that was because of the class of 92(fair play to Fergie for deleloping them) and Fergies bargains. Because of our stature though when we became the biggest club in Britain we've been the preferred destination for the best domestic players. Rio, Rooney, Keane and we even poached RVP off Arsenal(i know he is not a domestic player) player but we had advantages over the dippers and arsenal. Not really Chelsea and City when they became oil clubs.
Liverpool signed VVD when Pep wanted him. I don't think Liverpool missed out on any player, especially to City during Klopp time. If they are thinking of Mbappe and Bellingham then that would put them in deluded zone.

Gehrman

Liverpool signed VVD when Pep wanted him. I don't think Liverpool missed out on any player, especially to City during Klopp time. If they are thinking of Mbappe and Bellingham then that would put them in deluded zone.
I didn't know that tbf. As to VVD.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He is calling 2018-2022 as elite team and this one as very good team but not elite.
Oh, my bad. Yea this team is punching way above they level, which is Liverpool's own fault because the recruitment has been pretty poor since the hits of Matip, Mane, Firmino, Salah, VVD, Allison and Robertson.

The midfield is pretty average, spending big money on Gravenberch and Szoboszlai was mind blogging from the start. Konate, Diaz and Jota I think are good signings, but Nunez is a complete bust. They'll be needing a complete rebuild soon as well.

Adz_99

There’s a difference between what he is now and what he was like these past few seasons. I think he is totally spent and doesn’t look right. The players might sense it too. He might even be ill for all we know.
As far as calling the man a moron, I understand if you feel that way as him being a coach but as a person that’s just a disgusting way of describing someone, especially when you see what he has been outspoken about on social issues ect. Grow up
Speculating that somebody you don't know might have a serious illness is more disgusting than saying somebody pulling a face makes them look like a moron.

Real Name

I agree he's not flawless, but in one of the title challenges he lost he racked up a higher points tally than SAF ever managed and unlike Pep he wasn't working without a budget. I dont consider Liverpool favourites over Real Madrid really. Cup finals can be jammy as hell. Most fans acknowledge that Bayern were the better team in 99 on the day and in 2008 it was decided by Terry slipping. Without those jammy as hell moments Saf would be without a UCL and Klopp has already reached as many ucl finals as Saf without managing the dominat domestic team.

Real Madrid are fecking beasts at churning out UCL trophies though.
Strange stuff coming from an United fan. 2 goals in added time isn't 'jammy as hell'. Bayern was the better time but that's football for you.
Its similar to me saying if Barcelona didnt completely fold in 2019 Liverpool wouldn't have won that CL. Jammy as hell.

As for the points its different times altogether and nobody remembers points total in the season they challenged compared to actual titles. Yes, he had to go toe to toe with City but then again Fergie was going for it 20+ years and there's no need to downplay it.

Last edited:

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
A bit if disappointing return in the end for 'Pool and Klopp. Just one PL and one CL in eight full seasons is bit if a let down.

Gehrman

Strange stuff coming from an United fan. 2 goals in added time isn't 'jammy as hell'. Bayern was the better time but that's football for you.
Its similar to me saying if Barcelona didnt completely fold in 2019 Liverpool wouldn't have won that CL. Jammy as hell.
Perhaps jammy wasn't the right word but i don't feel we were the better team on the day which was to be expected as we were without Keane and Scholes. What i was trying to say is that there was a feeling of luck as in that tie despite that the mentality definitely helped everyone keep going till the end.

We've not won a UCL under Fergie where we dominated the opposition or were clearly better.

But anyway fair enough. I probably took the wrong angle on this.

Real Name

They didnt come in droves exactly. Not only that but United even in the best times didnt buy superstars. Sure best league players came but not in droves and if I remember the data exactly Liverppol was among the biggest spenders at the time if not the biggest. The part about coming on top over 2 great times cause he stayed is a strange one too.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

As for the points its different times altogether and nobody remembers points total in the season they challenged compared to actual titles. Yes, he had to go toe to toe with City but then again Fergie was going for it 20+ years and there's no need to downplay it.
Bayern weren’t even the better team though. They did an xG retroactively of the game and we won on that metric too.

Real Name

Perhaps jammy wasn't the right word but i don't feel we were the better team on the day which was to be expected as we were without Keane and Scholes. What i was trying to say is that there was a feeling of luck as in that tie despite that the mentality definitely helped everyone keep going till the end.

We've not won a UCL under Fergie where we dominated the opposition or were clearly better.
I dont think Chelsea was a better opponent in 2008. We didnt dominate them but certainly werent worse than them.
In 3 finals Klopp got to, obviously won one, was outplayed in the other and was arguably a better opponent in the 3rd but lost.
As for luck for every CL win you need the luck along the way. For instance Liverpool was certainly lucky in some games in 2019 and had the luck of playing Spurs in the final too.

Bayern weren’t even the better team though. They did an xG retroactively of the game and we won on that metric too.
Oh come one, they had about 5 or 6 clear chances to close out the game.

Gehrman

I dont think Chelsea was a better opponent in 2008. We didnt dominate them but certainly werent worse than them.
In 3 finals Klopp got to, obviously won one, was outplayed in the other and was arguably a better opponent in the 3rd.
As for luck for every CL win you need the luck along the way. For instance Liverpool was certainly lucky in some games in 2019 and had the luck of playing Spurs in the final too.

Oh come one, they had about 5 or 6 clear chances to close out the game.
I wasnt trying to say that Fergies UCL's were undeserved. I wasn't saying that Klopp never has luck either although i wouldn't call overturning 0-3 deficit by winning 4-0 while missing 2 of your key forwards in your attacking trio lucky. I would call it good tactics.

I wasn't trying to rob Fergie if his glory, i was just drawing comparisons to Klopps UCL adventures, but its true that he's lost his share of finals.

I wonder if he'll eventually go for the biggest jobs available so he has the odds more in his favour to retire with more trophies.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
:lol: I wonder how SAF had the biggest club in the world? Possibly because he made them so?

and klopp has not made Liverpool contenders ‘year after year’ like you said either, but it reads as if you’re doing a great job of convincing yourself. Liverpool, one league in 9 years, finished below United just as many times as above them while United are going through their shittest spell in decades and have only won 2 carling cups since 2021? Contenders year after year. Give me a break

Real Name

I wasnt trying to say that Fergies UCL's were undeserved. I wasn't saying that Klopp never has luck either although i wouldn't call overturning 0-3 deficit by winning 4-0 while missing 2 of your key forwards in your attacking trio lucky. I would call it good tactics.

I wasn't trying to rob Fergie if his glory, i was just drawing comparisons to Klopps UCL adventures, but its true that he's lost his share of finals.

I wonder if he'll eventually go for the biggest jobs available so he has the odds more in his favour to retire with more trophies.
Then they were lucky in Barcelona that Dembele I think had 2 more chances to make it 5-0 or that in Liverpool Messi was having fun in the 1st half instead of scoring. You get my drift. :)
As for Klopp's finals you're right, he didnt win the final hurddle more often than not.

Gehrman

Then they were lucky in Barcelona that Dembele I think had 2 more chances to make it 5-0 or that in Liverpool Messi was having fun in the 1st half instead of scoring. You get my drift. :)
As for Klopp's finals you're right, he didnt win the final hurddle more often than not.
I catch your drift

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
A few months ago I compared his season to Ferguson's 2012/13 in that he squeezed absolutely everything out of a relatively weaker team. Resident Liverpool fans disagreed and proclaimed this Liverpool side as a class above Ferguson's final side. Looks like we were all wrong - this Liverpool side is worse and have over-performed in achieving their final position. Next guy has a hell of a job on his hands, the bald twat. Bye, Jurgen - you won't be missed but thank you for the past few months and leaving us with a lot of laughs.

Robbie Boy

Announcing his departure so soon is looking like one of the biggest managerial blunders ever. Put too much unnecessary pressure on his players.
I think it actually spurred them on. I dont really think this squad is good enough to be winning a title and didn't expect them to challenge for as long as they did. I expect this squad will be exposed when the next man comes in.

Mike Smalling

The best thing about Klopp leaving might be that it also coincides with the squad needing major investment.

Salah is probably leaving soon, and he is already declining in terms of his overall play. They've generally fecked the forward line rebuild. Players like VVD and Robertson are nearing the end of their primes, and the midfielders they've brought in like Endo, Szoboszlai and Gravenberch look pretty underwhelming.

Barring a really good transfer window, I think it's quite likely that they will be in a struggle for top four next season.

Gehrman

I really dont care about that xg stuff tbh.
It just shows that we had 1 good chance in 90 minutes while they scored a goal, hit the bar with an overhead kick and a chance that hit the post. They certainly looked more dangerous over 90 min but extra time counts so i guess there is no point in nitpicking this too much.

Big Andy

Bloke
Remember when everyone gave Ole pelters for grinning on the touchline when we were getting beat.

Nothing about Klopp last night gurning his gnashers at 2-0 down, the soppy cnut.

Real Name

It just shows that we had 1 good chance in 90 minutes while they scored a goal, hit the bar with an overhead kick and a chance that hit the post. They certainly looked more dangerous over 90 min but extra time counts so i guess there is no point in nitpicking this too much.
Yeah, I read the article and their chances didnt count so much in xg cause they took a lot of pot shots. Just shows xg something shows a lot but sometimes paints a wrong picture.

Robbie Boy

Remember when everyone gave Ole pelters for grinning on the touchline when we were getting beat.

Nothing about Klopp last night gurning his gnashers at 2-0 down, the soppy cnut.
Klopp rightly gets pelters constantly for being a complete fecking weirdo.