Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of the season

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah, I read the article and their chances didnt count so much in xg cause they took a lot of pot shots. Just shows xg something shows a lot but sometimes paints a wrong picture.
Well in fairness, Bayern did dominate that final - but that was expected, we were without our 2 starting CMs and were probably running on fumes by then. CL finals aren't usually great games anyway, with some exceptions. It doesn't really matter because the way we won it was a wonderful summary of our summary and notably our run in.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The best thing about Klopp leaving might be that it also coincides with the squad needing major investment.
The ages of his most frequent starters (the age they will turn this year, if they haven't already had their birthday):

.......... 32 .........
26 - 32 - 27 - 30
...... 31 - 26 ......
.. 32 - 24 - 27 ..
......... 25 ..........

Average age: 28.4

Frequently used bench options: 21, 23, 25, 25, 28

Only 3 players under 25 (this year) and two of them on the bench. 5 in the 30(+) category. All of them starters, 3 of them their best players.

Last edited:

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Announcing his departure so soon is looking like one of the biggest managerial blunders ever. Put too much unnecessary pressure on his players.
Hindsight is great, if they don't win it it's because he announced his decision to step down and if they do win it it's because he announced his decision to step down and it gave the players the kick they needed to win the league for him. There's no definite answer.

He had to announce it at some point and end of january isn't that early. It's not exactly an easy position to be in, it's not like he can let the higher ups know so they can start looking for a new manager and manage to keep everything a secret until the season is over. They've played 13 league games since his decision was made public, lost 3, 2 draws and 8 wins. A few weeks ago they looked like they were likely to win the league. They're 3 points behind Arsenal and there's still 12 points to play for. Manchester City are obviously favourites, but it's not like it's done and dusted yet. Considering the season they had last year it's not as if people had them as title contenders anyway.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's going to be funny watching Sky on the final day try to do a Klopp love-in extravaganza without overshadowing a potential Arse title win or even 115 4 times in a row.

I hope he goes out like Gerrard did

Zen86

True a lot of that was because of the class of 92(fair play to Fergie for deleloping them) and Fergies bargains. Because of our stature though when we became the biggest club in Britain we've been the preferred destination for the best domestic players. Rio, Rooney, Keane and we even poached RVP off Arsenal(i know he is not a domestic player) player but we had advantages over the dippers and arsenal. Not really Chelsea and City when they became oil clubs.
We became an attractive destination because players want success and players wanted to work with Fergie. We occasionally splashed out on big domestic players but we were never the #1 destination for players across Europe and South America, as most of the other leagues were in a much stronger position compared to what they are now. And when we did splash out, those players were used alongside a lot of squad filler and utility players. We never had the kind of star-studded, big money squads that we see now.

It's also worth pointing out that we were rarely the overwhelming favourites in any given competition. The CL was much stronger than it is now and we often had to put the utility players out for the League and FA Cup. We didn't have a second string of players like City that would compete for the league in themselves. Pundits were often predicting ours and Fergies downfall. Unlike today, where everyone knows City will walk the league year on year.

Last edited:

Zen86

Strange stuff coming from an United fan. 2 goals in added time isn't 'jammy as hell'. Bayern was the better time but that's football for you.
Its similar to me saying if Barcelona didnt completely fold in 2019 Liverpool wouldn't have won that CL. Jammy as hell.

As for the points its different times altogether and nobody remembers points total in the season they challenged compared to actual titles. Yes, he had to go toe to toe with City but then again Fergie was going for it 20+ years and there's no need to downplay it.
Jammy as hell would be Barcelona beating Chelsea in 2009. And that's a kind way of putting it.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We became an attractive destination because players want success and players wanted to work with Fergie. We occasionally splashed out on big domestic players but we were never the #1 destination for players across Europe and South America, as most of the other leagues were in a much stronger position compared to what they are now. And when we did splash out, those players were used alongside a lot of squad filler and utility players. We never had the kind of star-studded, big money squads that we see now.

It's also worth pointing out that we were rarely the overwhelming favourites in any given competition. The CL was much stronger than it is now and we often had to put the utility players out for the League and FA Cup. We didn't have a second string of players like City that would compete for the league in themselves. Pundits were often predicting ours and Fergies downfall. Unlike today, where everyone knows City will walk the league year on year.
I completely agree. I dont think it contradicted anything i wrote though.

Skills

Snitch
xPts has them 5 behind arsenal, and tied with City (but City have 2 games in hand).

I think that matches the eye test as well - Arsenal and City are better football teams, and win games more effortlessly. Liverpool win a lot of marginal games and eventually it catches up with you.

Hughes35

To call a team that reached 3 UCL finals, and winning one, and winning the EPL with other second place finishes, not 'elite' is batsh*t. They were on par with City those seasons.

For the EPL exclusively, he's obviously below Wenger, Fergie and Jose. Considering that whole career I think he would be on par with Wenger and maybe Jose, though he still may have another stint left in him at another club.
Erm, they weren't on par though were they. They lost.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
A bit if disappointing return in the end for 'Pool and Klopp. Just one PL and one CL in eight full seasons is bit if a let down.
They’re like the Boston Celtics. Loads of jerking off over them and it sounds like they had a period of domination but it turns out they just won one each :lol:

From the way the media and their player talks, you’ll think they won the league and CL multiple times.

Fully Fledged

Greatest manager of all time. Won 1 EPL and 1 UCL. No one has ever topped that. He even beats Poch in the coming second cup. No one comes second as well as Klopp does.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Erm, they weren't on par though were they. They lost.
But they were more successful in Europe, that should count for someone in terms of a comparison.

In the EPL, over those 4 seasons City had 358 points and Liverpool had 357. The difference was that two of the titles City won over Liverpool were by only 1 point.

Hughes35

But they were more successful in Europe, that should count for someone in terms of a comparison.

In the EPL, over those 4 seasons City had 358 points and Liverpool had 357. The difference was that two of the titles City won over Liverpool were by only 1 point.
How were they more successful in Europe? Klopp won 1 in 9 years and so did City.

Yea in a 4 year period total points was tight, but in 3 years they still lost and why only look at 4 years and not the full 9?

Its weird how people are trying to push a narrative that Liverpool have been some unbeatable, dominant force that don't spend money.

Has Klopp done well - Yes
Have Liverpool been very good in 3 or 4 seasons - Yes
Have they been unbeatable - No
Have they been the best in the country - No
Have they spent a fortune - Yes (Over 800 Million spent)
Have other clubs also spent fortunes - Yes

Lets just be fair and accept the pros / cons without trying to fudge stats to paint a picture that isn't there.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
How were they more successful in Europe? Klopp won 1 in 9 years and so did City.

Yea in a 4 year period total points was tight, but in 3 years they still lost and why only look at 4 years and not the full 9?

Its weird how people are trying to push a narrative that Liverpool have been some unbeatable, dominant force that don't spend money.

Has Klopp done well - Yes
Have Liverpool been very good in 3 or 4 seasons - Yes
Have they been unbeatable - No
Have they been the best in the country - No
Have they spent a fortune - Yes (Over 800 Million spent)
Have other clubs also spent fortunes - Yes

Lets just be fair and accept the pros / cons without trying to fudge stats to paint a picture that isn't there.
The discussion was centered around those 4 years and a tweet. The tweet said they were an elite team in this 4 seasons but I mistakenly interpreted as saying they weren't. I then talked about how its nonsense they weren't elite because they matched City in those four seasons etc etc etc

Overall, over the 9 years, ofcourse City were more successful, no question.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Jurgen ten Klopp if they finish 3rd as well. Doesn't look like they'll get many more points than us last season

erikcred

Okay, I thought that was nonsense so had to check. It's actually that close! Thank feck for Pep and his billions.

erikcred

I suppose you also think that Liverpool's 2000/2001 season where they won the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup wasn't a real Treble?!?!
Of course not. They know that. They also know that the real Treble was what we stopped them from getting in '77.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
When a elite manager left liverpool it took them 30 years to get back to their feet. Taking arsenal nearly 20 years now post arsene, manutd is still nowhere near after nearly a decade post fergie. This won't be easy with city and arsenal still around for them.

Mike Smalling

Of course not. They know that. They also know that the real Treble was what we stopped them from getting in '77.
Yeah, I was kidding. Liverpool's best Treble remains their majestic League, UEFA Super Cup, Club World Cup haul in 2019/20.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

That's an incredible stat tbh. For me this is one of the reasons why succes in terms of trophies also has to be contextualised. Im bonkers though what contrast this is compared to Man utd post fergie. Over a billion spent and we've barely progressed beyond Moyes.

Shark

@NotShark
I think they'll be happy if they can cash in on Salah.. he will be good enough to contribute for a couple more seasons (at least), but I dont think his value will hold too long.. they need a rebuild.. if they get 100m+ for him, they'll be happy.
I would rather see him stay.
Not sure it's as black and white though. He's on the decline for sure, but United fans over the past decade will know how extremely difficult it is to get hold of a player that guarantees you those stats, season in and out. Rashford is a prime example of that struggle.

BorisManUtd

Don't watch Liverpool often but players that look good and are no older than 28: Arnold, Konate, Szoboszlai, Mac Allister, Diaz, Jota. Don't know about the others like Gakpo, Gravenberch. Quansah is rated it seems. Elliott as well. Choose a right manager and get right signings in the summer, Liverpool can still do well in next couple of seasons.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Surprised they don’t have him posting with the Quadruple he won, failing to mention it happened over 8 seasons. Sorry there was more than one League Cup.

Bosws87

All that stat really tells you is allowing city to openly cheat and leave them uncontested for so many years has made the league so one team heavy it’s basically a one team league and the gulf in class to the rest is massive.

Liverpool had their greatest run of form and team since the glory days. Any other time in football they would have created a dynasty for that period, the reality is they pushed Man City very close a couple of times and have very little to show for it.

Arsenal will be left thinking the same when these couple of years are over and the team needs rebuilding again.

Nobody cares about second best even if it’s proven first was cheating at a later date.

alexthelion

I'm not one to defend him, but he was competing with a state-backed Pep Guardiola and a club that made quick work of the rule book. And he gave it a good go. Relative to where Liverpool were before, I think it makes him one of the best, yes. Just as I would consider someone the best if they came in this summer and did the same to us. It would take something special.
It's not as if he finished second behind City every season, he finished behind us multiple times ffs.

Rojofiam

To call a team that reached 3 UCL finals, and winning one, and winning the EPL with other second place finishes, not 'elite' is batsh*t. They were on par with City those seasons.

For the EPL exclusively, he's obviously below Wenger, Fergie and Jose. Considering that whole career I think he would be on par with Wenger and maybe Jose, though he still may have another stint left in him at another club.
He is calling that team elite. The "not elite" side was the one after that in the tweeter's opinion, 2022-24. I definitely agree with that.

I'd put him 5th in the PL behind the 3 you listed plus Pep. I think it's difficult to argue that he should be higher or lower.

Saw posters on here calling him no better than the likes of Ranieri, Di Matteo, etc. because of the same number of PL/CL trophies won as them. Rawk levels of delusion tbh

Last edited: