2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

FootballAI

I initially thought starting with England was a bit too much too soon, but based on a performance like that on that stage I have to revise that opinion. Footballing wise he's one of England's best central midfielders as the options are fairly limited anyway, and the maturity also isn't an issue. So there would be no reason not to trust him based on this season.

Him and Bellingham has an appealing look at the heart of that midfield with years of improvement ahead of it. Suddenly England go from playing Kalvin Phillips routinely to having two of the best young mids in the world.
Considering both Henderson and Phillips are left out, he only needs to compete with Gallagher for the 3rd spot in the midfield. Both will likely be chosen for final team anyway since every position would need a back up. Gallagher will back up for both Mainoo and Rice, Foden may also replace Mainoo for the central 3rd spot if Grealish and Saka are both played on wings. Overall, England looks pretty damn strong in this Euro

Redivy

I can’t even imagine what level the hype will reach if he has a big Euros and England go far. We are lucky he seems to have a good head on his shoulders as so many young players would let it get to their heads.

Mike Smalling

Really liked Ten Hags comments on Mainoo after the final. Not taking the bait to hype him up further, but calming things down a bit.

He’s clearly an awesome talent, but we’ve had those before that haven’t become mainstays for various reasons. Staying humble and working hard will be key for Mainoo, and the rest of us need to temper expectations a bit. The guy is still a teenager so we can’t expect the consistency of a fully developed player. Just hope we bring in the right midfielders over the summer to partner him and provide rotation options, so we don’t run him into the ground.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Really liked Ten Hags comments on Mainoo after the final. Not taking the bait to hype him up further, but calming things down a bit.

He’s clearly an awesome talent, but we’ve had those before that haven’t become mainstays for various reasons. Staying humble and working hard will be key for Mainoo, and the rest of us need to temper expectations a bit. The guy is still a teenager so we can’t expect the consistency of a fully developed player. Just hope we bring in the right midfielders over the summer to partner him and provide rotation options, so we don’t run him into the ground.
Januzaj was one talent who didn't become mainstay, rest other talent like Ravel Morrison didn't make any impact for first team because of off the field issues.

I don't remember us having a talent like Mainoo except Greenwood. He would have been mainstay for the team if not for the off the field issues.

Mainoo will be main stay and our best player if he avoids injuries and off the field issues.

Redivy

His catalogue of goals is going to be so good over the next few years. His Wolves and Liverpool goals are standouts already, and he has added to that with a goal in a Cup final.

Raven

Agreed his close control technique is incredible if you didn't know where he was from watching this you'd think he was Brazilian.
Close control, decision making, composure and use of his body are all top class, of he can work on his physicality and endurance as well as becoming more involved he'll be amongst the best in the world.

massey

Close control, decision making, composure and use of his body are all top class, of he can work on his physicality and endurance as well as becoming more involved he'll be amongst the best in the world.
That's it the only weaknesses in his game if you can really call them are endurance and physicality which at his age will improve no doubt as he matures,will be exciting to see who we can match up next to him next season.

Raven

That's it the only weaknesses in his game if you can really call them are endurance and physicality which at his age will improve no doubt as he matures,will be exciting to see who we can match up next to him next season.
He's got the frame to grow into quite a physically imposing player I reckon, might take a couple of years though. It's probably half down to tactics as well but he should be getting on the ball more as well.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He is the real deal ! If Southgate doesnt play him with Bellingham in Euros he deserves a sack. England should lineup with 3 midfielders which is Mainoo Bellingham Rice
Don't think Southgate will start him, but I can see him forcing his way into the starting 11 the further we progress.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I initially thought starting with England was a bit too much too soon, but based on a performance like that on that stage I have to revise that opinion. Footballing wise he's one of England's best central midfielders as the options are fairly limited anyway, and the maturity also isn't an issue. So there would be no reason not to trust him based on this season.

Him and Bellingham has an appealing look at the heart of that midfield with years of improvement ahead of it. Suddenly England go from playing Kalvin Phillips routinely to having two of the best young mids in the world.
Absolutely. But I think that Southgate, the pragmatist, won't start him, especially early on in the tournament, but in the later stages I think he will be a shoe in.
Rice, Bellingham, Mainoo, Saka, Kane and possibly Foden or Gordon, that's some attacking force, with grit and physicality in midfield.
Walker, Stones will be great on the right side of the defence, but Southgate will almost certainly pick Maguire, albeit he's been injured and not match fit, but to be fair to him, Maguire put in some decent performances recently, but I still think he is prone to lapses and can get beaten quite easily one to one.
Shaw is a big miss, if he's ruled out, so let's hope he can make it.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I hope he's a starter for England, the guy is so so good
I'm torn - it's been a crazy good year for his first year in professional football. Maybe a reset and rest is what he really needs.

But, I just love watching him play and playing at that level may actually be important in his development. Every player's different in that sense I guess.

Nori-

I really hope we dont start expecting world class performaces every game from this kid and crush his confidence when they dont come.

Although he's not a kid anymore, Rashford suffered from this a lot and imo has resulted in his confidence being very fragile now.

Let Mainoo slowly develop, expect nothing for now and please dont play him for 90mins every game, get another player in his role that he can be swapped out with.

johnnyteutonic

I don't know the future but all I can say is this is about as certain as I've ever been over the last 15 years or so that we have a bona fide superstar in the making.
He's gone on to become more confident as the season has gone by. He obviously has a level of maturity well beyond his years.
I hope we can foster a stable and challenging environment for him so that he doesn't stagnate unlike other kids we've seen break through over the years.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I really hope we dont start expecting world class performaces every game from this kid and crush his confidence when they dont come.

Although he's not a kid anymore, Rashford suffered from this a lot and imo has resulted in his confidence being very fragile now.

Let Mainoo slowly develop, expect nothing for now and please dont play him for 90mins every game, get another player in his role that he can be swapped out with.
If we don't surround him with quality, experienced midfielders, then that is the expectation placed on Mainoo, whether it is voiced explicitly or not. Think of early Gerrard at Liverpool or Fabregas at Arsenal surrounded by mediocrity.

A wise club ensures that the expectation on him is reduced so he develops naturally, until he is ready to take the reins as the main man in midfield.

City are benefiting today from how they blooded Foden in.

FriedClams

Needs a good song.

erik said
We’re gonna give a start to this kid
Oh words just can’t describe
The way he came into uniteds side

his dreads are fine
He scores screamers all the time
He’s United through and through
He’s kobbie mainoo

edited to make it better. This fits so well IMO

Abraxas

Absolutely. But I think that Southgate, the pragmatist, won't start him, especially early on in the tournament, but in the later stages I think he will be a shoe in.
Rice, Bellingham, Mainoo, Saka, Kane and possibly Foden or Gordon, that's some attacking force, with grit and physicality in midfield.
Walker, Stones will be great on the right side of the defence, but Southgate will almost certainly pick Maguire, albeit he's been injured and not match fit, but to be fair to him, Maguire put in some decent performances recently, but I still think he is prone to lapses and can get beaten quite easily one to one.
Shaw is a big miss, if he's ruled out, so let's hope he can make it.
Wouldn't that be a bit backwards? Not starting him on some fairly comfortable looking fixtures but then starting him when it really matters. Don't get me wrong I'd put nothing past Southgate in his approach but that would be a weird way to deal with a young player.

Alemar

Absolutely. But I think that Southgate, the pragmatist, won't start him, especially early on in the tournament
And whom will he play instead? Who is a better player to partner Rice and Bellingham in midfield, if Mainoo is benched?

marktan

Personally, I think Mainoo is a better football player than Gallagher. But my personal opinion doesn’t mean much, surely
He has all the tools to be a better player but he's young and Gallagher has played much more and is a well rounded player himself. I'd start Gallagher just because Mainoo is so young, and bring Mainoo off the bench.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He has all the tools to be a better player but he's young and Gallagher has played much more and is a well rounded player himself. I'd start Gallagher just because Mainoo is so young, and bring Mainoo off the bench.
Just playing more doesn’t make you a better player, we should play Mainoo because he’s better than Gallagher. You don’t need seasons of evidence to see who’s better.

FootballAI

Well you just know it’s going to be Gallagher.
It won't be Gallagher. If Mainoo is benched, the most likely replacement is Foden in that position. Given England has so many great options for wing forward (Gordon, Eze, Cole Palmer, Saka, Grealish, Bowen), Foden will likely not utilised there but in the more central role with Bellingham.

Redfrog

His technical abilities and awareness are World Class.
We never had such kind of talents since Beckham and Scholes in our academy.
In few years he will boss the midfield. We just need to find him a partner who is top class talent and who will complement him well.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Wonder how much he'll go for in today's market, maybe I'm overestimating but surely upwards of 100 million euros?

On a side note, what's with seedorf comparisons? They're nothing alike, I'd anything he's much more similar to iniesta, he even does that 180 turn to escape pressure and dispose of the ball that iniesta was so good at.

Zumbi

It won't be Gallagher. If Mainoo is benched, the most likely replacement is Foden in that position. Given England has so many great options for wing forward (Gordon, Eze, Cole Palmer, Saka, Grealish, Bowen), Foden will likely not utilised there but in the more central role with Bellingham.
There’s no way Southgate is starting Rice, Foden and Bellingham as a midfield three - he’s far too conservative to play two such attacking midfielders alongside Rice, especially with how much Bellingham pushes forward.

It’ll be Gallagher or Mainoo and I think Mainoo might actually get the nod. I suspect the quality of his link up play with Rice and Bellingham in training will end up making the decision for Southgate. His composure and awareness on the ball is exactly what that team needs to bring out the best in those two, so once those playing relationships start to develop behind the scenes it’ll be hard to deny if it looks like the right balance.

Malons

Glad he's been recognised by England but hope he doesn't play much and he just gets the experience of being in the squad and ends up getting lost of rest this summer

renatosanches85

You think Southgate, one of the most defensive and pragmatic international managers in the world is going to play Foden and Bellingham in a midfield three? Haha, give your head a wobble.

FootballAI

You think Southgate, one of the most defensive and pragmatic international managers in the world is going to play Foden and Bellingham in a midfield three? Haha, give your head a wobble.
He might. You think he will pick Mainoo over Foden to start? England is blessed with plenty of wing forwards, he is not going to bench one of them to move Foden out of his favourite position at the heart of the midfield to play Mainoo so just to satisfy some United fans. Foden has been playing in central midfield role at City this season and he will likely do so in this Euro. Even in these friendly matches when he was put out on the left wing on paper, he had tendency to drift inside and Southgate knows that is his favourite position.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He might. You think he will pick Mainoo over Foden to start? England is blessed with plenty of wing forwards, he is not going to bench one of them to move Foden out of his favourite position at the heart of the midfield to play Mainoo so just to satisfy some United fans. Foden has been playing in central midfield role at City this season and he will likely do so in this Euro. Even in these friendly matches when he was put out on the left wing on paper, he had tendency to drift inside and Southgate knows that is his favourite position.
He's played on the wing or in CAM. He's not played a minute as a standard CM, which is the role that needs filling in the team.

pacifictheme

Foden unfortunately for him can play wide, even though he's best centrally. Considering he's up against Bellingham for a central role who doesn't play wide I think he will get moved and then I could see mainoo getting the other central midfield position. Southgate isn't going to play two attacking midfielders with rice imo.