Kylian Mbappé

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
It's not the main issue. But regarding that point people are misinterpreting things a bit strangely, Mbappé doesn't have an issue playing as a center forward and he has been pretty good as a center forward, his issue has been with being used as a pivot, meaning that due to the fact that he is the only one able to do it for PSG, Mbappé is used in a more rigid central role and doesn't have the same freedom to find space across the field.

So while I don't believe the report, there is no particular issue with the way ETH's tactics, Martial is free to move around, as was Tadic.
1. But doesn’t he also want to play next to a real pivot like Giroux?

Think we would have to play him in Bruno’s role with a LW that is a bit more defensively responsible to perfectly balance the team like ETH wants it. Like:
—————————Martial————————
—————M’bappe———————————
LW———————————————Antony
—————Eriksen———————————
——————————Casemiro—————
Shaw——————————————Darlot
—————-Martinez——Varane————
—————————DDG—————————

France had Matuidi in the same set-up to get more balance (Griezman at AMC, Mbappe at RW and Matuidi at LW).

2. I “wish” us signing Mbappe would be a fantasy, but isn’t paying 200m for him if we get new owners exactly the type of signing some owners would go for?

Redfrog

I know Ligue1 is not one of the best league, but its really underrated. Lot of quality players, main factory of big european clubs. They leave the league pretty soon, but they keep producing quality over and over.
Yes, and France have probably the best talent pool in the world. And you can add to that all the players born and bread in France who chose to play for the country their parents came from. In Russia, France had the most players represented and I am pretty sure it’s the same at this World Cup. It’s a shame that the league don’t have money to keep the best players.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
1. But doesn’t he also want to play next to a real pivot like Giroux?

Think we would have to play him in Bruno’s role with a LW that is a bit more defensively responsible to perfectly balance the team like ETH wants it. Like:
—————————Martial————————
—————M’bappe———————————
LW———————————————Antony
—————Eriksen———————————
——————————Casemiro—————
Shaw——————————————Darlot
—————-Martinez——Varane————
—————————DDG—————————

France had Matuidi in the same set-up to get more balance (Griezman at AMC, Mbappe at RW and Matuidi at LW).

2. I “wish” us signing Mbappe would be a fantasy, but isn’t paying 200m for him if we get new owners exactly the type of signing some owners would go for?
From what I understand he likes playing with someone like Giroud but it's not a requirement. The thing that he doesn't like is to be the "pivot" himself, in the context of PSG he is kind of forced to do it because his attacking partners are almost never occupying the striker area.

In the context of United, there is no particular change required because Rashford and Bruno both like to drift in that striker area and ETH has been comfortable using that kind of setup with the likes of Bergjwin, Tadic, Van de Beek or Babbel.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
From what I understand he likes playing with someone like Giroud but it's not a requirement. The thing that he doesn't like is to be the "pivot" himself, in the context of PSG he is kind of forced to do it because his attacking partners are almost never occupying the striker area.

In the context of United, there is no particular change required because Rashford and Bruno both like to drift in that striker area and ETH has been comfortable using that kind of setup with the likes of Bergjwin, Tadic, Van de Beek or Babbel.
Good post, and I am also not surprised about Messi having issues with Mbappe just like he had issues with Zlatan.

In Messi’s world, it’s always others who takes runs to open up space for him, he cannot accept that a teammate would not do that. When Zlatan played for Barca, he would pass to Messi every chance he got. But he would move into the half spaces, he would drop down to get open, and so forth.

Mbappe have for me always come a cross as a smart ‘humble’ (for a generational talent in football) person, but when Messi came to PSG, Mbappe was made to adjust to Messi, not the other way around.

pogbasformerbarber

I don’t buy this as a realty at all. Poch confirmed he desperately wants to go to Real Madrid. He’s never shown a real desire to play in the PL. We make no sense for him given our current situation. He’s more of a final piece than a building block.

Even if this rumor is coming from his camp it’s just a way to destabilize because of our desperate state to move somewhere else…

Sildegil

I was more thinking along the lines of R9, who Mbappé is most compared to. When injuries took away 30% of Ronaldo's pace he was still a world class player but that was because he was a much more refined player than Mbappé in terms of touch and finishing.

And I'm a fan of Mbappé (more so than Haaland) but he is clearly a lot more reliant on his physical gifts than the superior attacking technicians that he plays with week in week out for PSG.

Robben wasn't as fast as Mbappé (although still very quick) and suffered a lot of recurring muscular strains and pulls but nothing serious. As a result he remained very fast into his thirties.
Ronaldo was pretty reliant on his physical skills when he was as young as Mbappé is. Mbappé's skills are pretty damm good already. The thing he will rely on later on in his career is his amazing positioning and move off the ball.

JPRouve

Scout
Good post, and I am also not surprised about Messi having issues with Mbappe just like he had issues with Zlatan.

In Messi’s world, it’s always others who takes runs to open up space for him, he cannot accept that a teammate would not do that. When Zlatan played for Barca, he would pass to Messi every chance he got. But he would move into the half spaces, he would drop down to get open, and so forth.

Mbappe have for me always come a cross as a smart ‘humble’ (for a generational talent in football) person, but when Messi came to PSG, Mbappe was made to adjust to Messi, not the other way around.
I don't if Messi has issues with Mbappé. In fact all three are pretty good together, Mbappé doesn't necessarily like his role but he does it at a high level while the other two have been at their best.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I don't if Messi has issues with Mbappé. In fact all three are pretty good together, Mbappé doesn't necessarily like his role but he does it at a high level while the other two have been at their best.
Yeah, their relationship is totally non existing. But they keep it professional and deliver on the field.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
People really saying he's better than Thierry Henry. Yikes.
It is cool to find the new girl in town hot, way cooler than the one who's been around for 10 years. Especially if you're a teenager who does not know what happened 10 or 15 years ago

Erik the Red

‘Circus’. Don’t want.
Don't want the best player in the world?

I understand not wanting Ronaldo or Pogba with their circus, but Mbappe is the best footballer on the planet, and would improve any team in the world. We could sign him for five years, let him go to Madrid after three and get our money back, and Garnacho will be an established player by then ready to be a first team regular. Those calling for Harry Kane, saying we would win things for the next three years, well we would win more with Mbappe, and get our money back after three years, or alternatively keep him long term.

Chief123

I understand not wanting Ronaldo or Pogba with their circus, but Mbappe is the best footballer on the planet, and would improve any team in the world. We could sign him for five years, let him go to Madrid after three and get our money back, and Garnacho will be an established player by then ready to be a first team regular. Those calling for Harry Kane, saying we would win things for the next three years, well we would win more with Mbappe, and get our money back after three years, or alternatively keep him long term.
Some of these guys would have hated Cantona and Keane.

I’d take Mbappe in a heartbeat regardless of his attitude.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I was being sarcastic.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It is cool to find the new girl in town hot, way cooler than the one who's been around for 10 years. Especially if you're a teenager who does not know what happened 10 or 15 years ago
I've been around since Henry was 18, and I think Mbappe is far, far ahead of Henry when they were both 23-24. If he follows his natural progression, it's not even a question that he will be better than Henry overall.

Erik the Red

I was being sarcastic.
I had a feeling you might be, but many posters did say that they don't want him and his circus.

As far as Henry comparisons go, I'm not convinced Henry was ever the best player in the world. I would say that Mbappe is pretty certainly the best player in the world right now. Haaland may have a better scoring record, but Mbappe is the more complete, all round player, and I can't think of anyone else better. Ronaldo and Messi have not been at their peak for a couple of years now, and unless I am missing someone, I don't think that it is even a serious discussion. Everyone saying that Mbappe is in a weak league, the kid has done the business at successive World Cups. He already has more World Cup goals (9) than Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Kane, and the same number as Messi. The overall record of Klose (16) is in danger, as he probably has another two World Cups, maybe three.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I had a feeling you might be, but many posters did say that they don't want him and his circus.

As far as Henry comparisons go, I'm not convinced Henry was ever the best player in the world. I would say that Mbappe is pretty certainly the best player in the world right now. Haaland may have a better scoring record, but Mbappe is the more complete, all round player, and I can't think of anyone else better. Ronaldo and Messi have not been at their peak for a couple of years now, and unless I am missing someone, I don't think that it is even a serious discussion. Everyone saying that Mbappe is in a weak league, the kid has done the business at successive World Cups. He already has more World Cup goals (9) than Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Kane, and the same number as Messi. The overall record of Klose (16) is in danger, as he probably has another two World Cups, maybe three.
Henry should have been the best player in the world through the Ballon d'or/FIFA Player of the Year either in 2004 or 2005. No doubt about it in my mind.

croadyman

Some of these guys would have hated Cantona and Keane.

I’d take Mbappe in a heartbeat regardless of his attitude.
Yeah no brainer but wouldn't see him choosing us over Real in a million years even with rich owners.

Marwood

He's not as good as Henry. Not when Henry was at his peak anyway.

There was more variety to Henry's game, more magic. Right now Mbappe is all about that pace and power. If that were to diminish a bit I don't think he'd be top level.

Gordon S

There was more variety to Henry's game, more magic. Right now Mbappe is all about that pace and power. If that were to diminish a bit I don't think he'd be top level.
That is not fair on Mbappe´ i think. He has great technical ability, good dribbling skills, good vision and passing into the box. The reason why he is so difficult to contain is because he is pretty much a complete attacker. Adama Traore is the epitome of a player that is all about pace and power.

Marwood

That is not fair on Mbappe´ i think. He has great technical ability, good dribbling skills, good vision and passing into the box. The reason why he is so difficult to contain is because he is pretty much a complete attacker. Adama Traore is the epitome of a player that is all about pace and power.
Yeah I didn't quite word it correctly when I said "all about pace and power." That is unfair you're right.

I just don't think he has the touch, ball control and creativity to be up there with the very best.

But there's no doubt that pace and power is crazy effective.

evil_geko

Yep, you hit the nail there. Of course he is not as good as Henry, recency bias is hitting Cafe real hard at the moment. Henry with his great finishing had also much better touch and smoother ball control. I think people forget how ball was literally glued to his feet. Mbappe ball control seems "clumsy" in comparison.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I see a lot of posts comparing Mbappe to Henry. Honestly, I don't think its possible or right to make those kind of comparisons at this moment in time.

Its unfair to both. You're either taking Henry at his peak and saying he's better than today's Mbappe, which is unfair because Mbappe is still maturing as a player. Or you're saying at 23 Henry's record didn't look as good as Mbappe's does. Which is true but also not reflective of the developmental curve players at the time went through, or the way Henry was mismanaged at Juventus.

All that being said, I think Mbappe is an incredible talent. In my opinion there is a strong possibility, dare I say strong chance, that he will surpass Henry.

I remember Henry, he's hard to forget given how much I really, really disliked that Arsenal team. He was a menace. Without him Arsenal would have been nothing to us. He scored some ridiculous goals. The one that he flicked in the air and banged past Barthez. Dearie me.

Mbappe is not quite as strong, not as physically imposing and I guess that's why he prefers not to play as a centre forward like Henry did during his best days. That being said Mbappe is lightning quick, has brilliant timing of his runs and hits the ball every bit as truly as Henry did. He has ample time on his side to mature in terms of decision making and judgement on the pitch. Of all the players around today, Mbappe is the only player who gives me early Real Madrid Cristiano Ronaldo vibes.

JPRouve

Scout
I see a lot of posts comparing Mbappe to Henry. Honestly, I don't think its possible or right to make those kind of comparisons at this moment in time.

Its unfair to both. You're either taking Henry at his peak and saying he's better than today's Mbappe, which is unfair because Mbappe is still maturing as a player. Or you're saying at 23 Henry's record didn't look as good as Mbappe's does. Which is true but also not reflective of the developmental curve players at the time went through, or the way Henry was mismanaged at Juventus.

All that being said, I think Mbappe is an incredible talent. In my opinion there is a strong possibility, dare I say strong chance, that he will surpass Henry.

I remember Henry, he's hard to forget given how much I really, really disliked that Arsenal team. He was a menace. Without him Arsenal would have been nothing to us. He scored some ridiculous goals. The one that he flicked in the air and banged past Barthez. Dearie me.

Mbappe is not quite as strong, not as physically imposing and I guess that's why he prefers not to play as a centre forward like Henry did during his best days. That being said Mbappe is lightning quick, has brilliant timing of his runs and hits the ball every bit as truly as Henry did. He has ample time on his side to mature in terms of decision making and judgement on the pitch. Of all the players around today, Mbappe is the only player who gives me early Real Madrid Cristiano Ronaldo vibes.
Mbappé is smaller and was developed as an attacking midfielder. Henry has the size of a normal striker and was developed as a striker.

I resist. A couple of goals won't change what we already knew. We need to push for Endrick and end any temptation with the unmentionable.
Florentino Perez always, ALWAYS, tries to buy the player who had the best World Cup.

As things stand, that's Mbappe.

Mbappe has two years left on his contract come summer. I think its quite likely Mbappe will be at Real Madrid by 2024.

Mbappé is smaller and was developed as an attacking midfielder. Henry has the size of a normal striker and was developed as a striker.
I get that but I think people make the comparisons because Juve played Henry on the wing and lots of younger people remember Henry as an inside forward for Barcelona.

Its possible Mbappe will go through a similar process. He's already been played as a central striker, which we've discussed before. I see him having quite a similar development as Cristiano Ronaldo. If Mbappe puts on muscle and becomes more adept at playing with his back to goal he will be a devastating centre forward, as well as an unplayable inside forward.

JPRouve

Scout
Florentino Perez always, ALWAYS, tries to buy the player who had the best World Cup.

Mbappe has two years left on his contract come summer. I think its quite likely Mbappe will be at Real Madrid by 2024.

I get that but I think people make the comparisons because Juve played Henry on the wing and lots of younger people remember Henry as an inside forward for Barcelona.

Its possible Mbappe will go through a similar process. He's already been played as a central striker, which we've discussed before. I see him having quite a similar development as Cristiano Ronaldo. If Mbappe puts on muscle and becomes more adept at playing with his back to goal he will be a devastating centre forward, as well as an unplayable inside forward.
Henry played 6 months for Juventus, no one make that comparison based on that, in fact I bet that a large amount of people don't know that he was there. And I was talking about the tendencies of each players, Mbappé has moved centrally over the year but unlike Henry it's not where he grew up, he learned it when he was promoted to professional football.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

You're right but let's say Mbappe is a chapter apart. It's ridiculous to keep planning our future thinking about him. He can sign Enzo Fernández and Kroos can retire.

Henry played 6 months for Juventus, no one make that comparison based on that, in fact I bet that a large amount of people don't know that he was there. And I was talking about the tendencies of each players, Mbappé has moved centrally over the year but unlike Henry it's not where he grew up, he learned it when he was promoted to professional football.
Yes that's true. That's why I see Mbappe as closer to Cristiano Ronaldo than Henry. I think its clearly Mbappe's preference to play as an inside forward, working off of a #9. Rather than play as a #9 himself. I can see why coaches want him to play as a #9 and believe, ultimately, his future will be there. Just as Cristiano's has proven to be. However, you're correct to highlight that Henry and Mbappe are not the same type of player and its not entirely natural to compare them. Even if Henry did play as an inside left at points in his career. Very effectively indeed, despite him admitting he wasn't a fan of Pep's decision to play him in that position.

My hunch is, in the end, Mbappe will prove to be the better player when its all said and done. However, I wouldn't go that far at this point in time. Mbappe's acceleration actually reminds me of Luiz Ronaldo's. The way he can push past defenders at speed with the ball at his feet. Just reminds you of some of that crazy moments Ronaldo had at Barcelona. As Mbappe becomes physically stronger, which is starting to show itself, it will become harder and harder for defenders to knock him down when he's at full speed. If he becomes physically imposing as well as fast he will be out there on his own in today's game.

You're right but let's say Mbappe is a chapter apart. It's ridiculous to keep planning our future thinking about him. He can sign Enzo Fernández and Kroos can retire.
I agree with you. However, when has Florentino cared about that kind of thing? If there's a chance to get Mbappe he will buy him. He may well buy him and Endrick and just say: 'F-k it the coach can figure out how to fit these guys together.' It wouldn't be the first time would it?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I resist. A couple of goals won't change what we already knew. We need to push for Endrick and end any temptation with the unmentionable.
But he's so, so good. Damn. This guy is game-breaking in a way comparable to Messi and OG Ronaldo, his mere presence on the pitch warps reality

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I do agree about signing Enzo. Him and Bellingham should be the priorities, get both. And then either another CB(Gvardiol looks good) and convert Fede into a winger for good, or a RWB to replace your namesake