g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Kylian Mbappe | Merci.

marktan

That's true but it really depends on the Champions League more than league form, if it was based on best player in the best league then De Bruyne or Salah would have won the Ballon d'Or, league form rarely counts that much for the Ballon d'Or, it's World Cup/Champions League/Euros that matter.
Playing in a good league does help though.

And PSG won't win the CL anytime soon, the team they put yesterday was terrible. They have almost 0% chance of it this year.

Mr.Fantastic

Supports
Real Madrid
That's true but it really depends on the Champions League more than league form, if it was based on best player in the best league then De Bruyne or Salah would have won the Ballon d'Or, league form rarely counts that much for the Ballon d'Or, it's World Cup/Champions League/Euros that matter.
Club football easily stomps NT football. No way Mbappe reaches Messi / CR7 level with NT success, while spending his prime years in PSG.

To be honest, we are witnessing even bigger waste story in the making than Neymar leaving Barca for PSG.

Mr.Fantastic

Supports
Real Madrid
Last year we already should’ve moved on but Perez is obsessed. I think most Madrid fans wouldn’t mind not getting him at this point and just want a proper striker. We lost Kane due to Mbappe and Haaland also due to Mbappe. This is beyond stupid.
Kane was probably never in the serious discussion considering his age and price, while Haaland was bound for City anyway. As for Mbappe. His actions with PSG show massive character issues which lead to him being completely unsustainable, financially and sporting wise. Perez sees that, i have zero doubt. Basically you are repeating narrative from media, which is all propaganda.

The market for top forwards is dry as frack.The last thing we need is to blow 200M on Osimhen, or give keys of the club to Mbappe.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
He's won a World Cup, got to another World Cup final where he scored a hat-trick, World Cup Golden Boot and Silver Ball. He's doing alright for himself.
This. He has won pretty much everything there's to win except for the Champions League, and he is 24 so he'll have lots of chances in the future.

I think PSG/France's bet is to keep him in the country until París 2024 at least, so he can be the summer olympics ambassador and main attraction (since Real or other team wouldn't be forced to let him go). Plus, he gets a final chance at winning the CL with PSG. Then he can leave, leaving something in PSG's pocket to rebuild instead of leaving on a free.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Club football easily stomps NT football. No way Mbappe reaches Messi / CR7 level with NT success, while spending his prime years in PSG.

To be honest, we are witnessing even bigger waste story in the making than Neymar leaving Barca for PSG.
Well, the greatest players in history are fundamentally acclaimed for NT football more than for club football.

The only players who have ever been compared in greatness through Ballon D' Or are Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. It didn't happen before with players in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

KeanoMagicHat

His achievements with France with last longer in the memory than a player from Paris playing in Paris, that's pretty normal, he might also break the record for the top scorer in the history of Ligue 1 for example, which will leave a more lasting record than say playing for Chelsea for two years and scoring 25 goals, getting top 4 and leaving.

Plastic Evra

The latest from gossip train and supposedly from sources close to the player is that Mbappé is the one that broke the stalemate and approached the club, less than 24-48h ago (PSG journo @ Radio France Bleu).

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Watched a video of him in training with what looked like reserves. By Jove, this kid is on another level. The speed at which he moves, it's almost unfathomable.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
His achievements with France with last longer in the memory than a player from Paris playing in Paris, that's pretty normal, he might also break the record for the top scorer in the history of Ligue 1 for example, which will leave a more lasting record than say playing for Chelsea for two years and scoring 25 goals, getting top 4 and leaving.
He will never win Ballon D'or with PSG. He might win it with France if they win the WC in future again though, but its really a matter of few games per every 4 years so nothings is guarantee and anything else could happen. By the time he finally wins WC again and Ballon D'or with France, Haaland could have already pocket a few CL and Ballon D'or with City.

redshaw

If Madrid is his destination then he should at least see what fee Madrid can pay next summer then put that in a release clause. He gets his move and PSG get some ffp money.

KeanoMagicHat

He will never win Ballon D'or with PSG. He might win it with France if they win the WC in future again though, but its really a matter of few games per every 4 years so nothings is guarantee and anything else could happen. By the time he finally wins WC again and Ballon D'or with France, Haaland could have already pocket a few CL and Ballon D'or with City.
Would he be any more likely to win the Ballon d'Or with say Chelsea than with PSG? The only clubs he'd really increase his chances of winning it are Real Madrid-Barca because they've always had slight bias helping them in it, or Man City under Guardiola which won't happen when Haaland is there.

Revan

Assumptionman
Well, the greatest players in history are fundamentally acclaimed for NT football more than for club football.

The only players who have ever been compared in greatness through Ballon D' Or are Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. It didn't happen before with players in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.
To a large degree because NT competitions (especially WC) was the only competition that people were able to freely see. Now that everyone has access to club’s football, that is not the case anymore.

Mr.Fantastic

Supports
Real Madrid

Mbappe was not born in the 60s +. His "judgement" should apply by today`s standards. The reality is, that club level has developed massively in last decades, and overrun NT level by a large margin. It is purely question of quality and scale. Nobody serious will consider adding Mbappe among the greatest players of all time if his CV says Monaco and PSG.

Besides, Di Stefano and Cruyff?

Nobody will give a frack about top scoring record of French League. As for NT level, people will always think of juggernaut Zidane.

It is time for Mbappe to pass the litmus test, and decide for greatness. Instead of becoming the football version of tik tok influencer.

Last edited:

RedorDead21

If they are gonna let him sit on the bench all season why don’t they let us loan him instead and let greenwood head to them on loan. Both players need a change of environment and both clubs could do with 12 months of not seeing them.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Would he be any more likely to win the Ballon d'Or with say Chelsea than with PSG? The only clubs he'd really increase his chances of winning it are Real Madrid-Barca because they've always had slight bias helping them in it, or Man City under Guardiola which won't happen when Haaland is there.
Yeh he is definitely more likely to win it in Real Madrid though, and I believe he is top target for Real Madrid too. So really, he should be moving to Real this summer for sake of his career.

ericPSG

Supports
PSG
At this point I m not even sure he wants to leave or he just use these threats to have a better team every year.
He is a NBA fan and Lebron does that for the last 5 years: short contracts to put pressure on franchise to be in win now mode or he’ll leave

This year, PSG has been cleaned with Neymar out. A true CF and defensive midfielder have been bought in Ramos and Ugarte.
And Lucas Hernandez / dembele are his NT friends

What is concerning is the playmaking without Messi, Neymar and Verratti but the 100M€ Saudi will pay for Neymar should help

Plastic Evra

Surprisingly a Paris (or Paris region) born player making it big at PSG wasn't a thing or at the very least a narrative until somewhat recently. Most of the club legends are not : Bianchi, Susic, Dahleb, Bats, Rocheteau, Bravo, Kombouaré, Le Guen, Roche, Ginola, Lama, Weah, Simone, Valdo, Raì, Ricardo, Pauleta... -maybe I'm being reductive in some cases by just looking the place of birth-.

I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty but the only "local" lads I'm sure of are Pilorget (born in Paris), Vincent Guérin (Boulogne-Billancourt) and Llacer (Lagny-sur-Marne). Luis Fernandez born in Spain but very much a Paris football product through and through.

Was absolutely not a concern through the 90s to showcase the academy or promote domestic players, which is why so many of them seem to come out of clubs with more pedigree in youth development (AS Monaco is a common recent one).

In 2000, when French clubs start to feel they're outpaced in a post-Bosman football world, PSG decides to make a big splash by bringing back Anelka -fresh off his CL win at Real- for 35m€. Anelka is from the Greater Paris region, played 12 games at the start of his pro career at PSG. The then owners quickly build a new marketing plan around that star signing : They decide it's a great opportunity to play up the "urban" / "projects" (as their lingo was) branding and shift to a club more representative of its fans. They transfer for a pretty penny a bunch of big Île-de-France born prospects alongside Anelka : Luccin, Distin, Dalmat and B.Mendy. Anelka was a disaster, they all flopped really hard except Bernard Mendy which became a loyal servant of the club, the perennial RB mascot (like Llacer !).

It's only in the lean years of late Canal+ ownership / Colony Capital era that a lot more focus & effort was brought on the academy players (Paris born or not) as key elements of the first team : Sakho, Chantôme, Lorik Cana were big fan favorites.

QSI reaped most of the benefits of that shift in club politics : Rabiot, Areola, Kimpembe, Maignan, Diaby, Coman, Nkunku, Zaïre-Emery and a few others were integrated as squad members and/or sold at a benefit.

Mbappé is a sort of successful redux of that failed Anelka project. A Paris-born worldwide superstar in his prime wearing the colours of Paris.
Dembélé is from Normandie and played as a youth in Évreux (not Paris region exactly but very much in PSG's sphere of influence). Kolo Muani -if they proceed to transfer him- is from Bondy.
So QSI might be clearly looking to change the branding back to PSG being more grassroots & more French.

What is concerning is the playmaking without Messi, Neymar and Verratti but the 100M€ Saudi will pay for Neymar should help
I'm not sure the Owl is out for good yet... I understand he's been more and more inconsistent but he's one of those few players that can create and shift a game. He's definitely being phased out, but maybe not this year despite the stern talk of please pack up your bags.

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Fine by me if he stays, was never very convinced of the rumors this summer anyway, he wants to stay in Paris so its his decision.

What is irritating is Perez, who has ruined our transfer window with this stuff, Kane was there, but he would rather wait another year for someone who is not coming here.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Fine by me if he stays, was never very convinced of the rumors this summer anyway, he wants to stay in Paris so its his decision.

What is irritating is Perez, who has ruined our transfer window with this stuff, Kane was there, but he would rather wait another year for someone who is not coming here.
Has there been any slow build up of Haaland to Madrid?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Has there been any slow build up of Haaland to Madrid?
Nah, its not something worth thinking about for at least a year, probably two.

We need a new striker now, Kane would have been a great fit.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Nah, its not something worth thinking about for at least a year, probably two.

We need a new striker now, Kane would have been a great fit.
Yeah but seems like Madrid are going at a bit younger dimension of player right now.

Mbappe, Haaland or seeing the new development after this year may be more likely than Kane would have been.

Plastic Evra

It's an happy coincidence (?) that the Mbappé situation resolved itself almost as soon as Kane was definitely moving to Munich.
I think everyone is seeing the fees (and one would expect wages) ballooning this year and is reconsidering their position (clubs and players).

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Neymar out means he's happy to stay?

Everything we've seen probably just to strengthen his negotiating position and get Neymar and others he doesn't want out of the club?

Plastic Evra

Neymar out means he's happy to stay?

Everything we've seen probably just to strengthen his negotiating position and get Neymar and others he doesn't want out of the club?
I think that's maybe too Hollywood and convoluted a scheme but in truth if Neymar leaves and Mbappé stays : He's the only superstar in that team, any laurels will not have to be split. There's still a ton of deadwood in "the Loft" as it is known here but Sergio Ramos and Messi are out. The recruitment this year is a lot more coherent and they brought some players he is in good terms with, everyone should work for and with him.

Even if he leaves next year : With the current market he might actually make a profit for PSG on the transfer fee and he's leaving the squad in a much better place.

If he's really as image conscious as one might surmise... This is all good outcomes.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's extending??? PSG is that hotel Eagles were singing about all those years ago. "You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave."

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
He's extending??? PSG is that hotel Eagles were singing about all those years ago. "You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave."
Perhaps, after all, Verratti blamed PSG for him putting the pen on the paper and signing contract after contract himself.

m1tch

It's all a bit odd that his signals to leave again at the end of his current deal result in another new deal being signed. My money is he ends up getting a visit each time that encourages him to stay. Stevie G style. He'll probably play most of his career in France, only allowed to leave when he's passed his best.

Plastic Evra

Drama maybe not finished yet as L'Equipe says no talk about extension happened at this point. Which defies belief but I suppose that's the PR line going out to media.

Last edited:

devaneios

Supports
São Paulo FC
I'm really curious to see how he will do without Neymar or Messi feeding him tons of through balls every game.

Plastic Evra

He's probably not the first player to do this but Kylian Mbappé really is putting forward his agency as a public figure front and center and I think posing as an equal partner with clubs. Obviously he can because he is the hottest commodity in football & already talismanic to the NT. Is it "The Decision 2" ?

philippexyz

Real Madrid doesn't really need him when they have Vinicius Jr. I was always a bit confused by this transfer drama.

It always looked to me just like a convenience, vanity of biggest club in the world(Real Madrid) having the best player, biggest star in world(Mbappe). Like it has to happen - just because it's "natural". Like Lakers having Lebron. Not necessarily because it makes a lot of sense tactically. He's only slightly better than Vinicius.

Real Madrid should instead splash the cash on true centre-forward, Osimhen. Or try to poach Haaland from City, but i imagine that wouldn't be easy. Maybe even Alvarez from City, he could be good enough and tired of being a backup to Haaland - he's definitely too good for that. Kane ship has sailed, but he's probably too old for what they want, anyway.

Baxquux

Real Madrid should instead splash the cash on true centre-forward, Osimhen. Or try to poach Haaland from City, but i imagine that wouldn't be easy. Maybe even Alvarez from City, he could be good enough and tired of being a backup to Haaland - he's definitely too good for that. Kane ship has sailed, but he's probably too old for what they want, anyway.
Ha, I hope Madrid go all in on trying to extricate players from City and in doing so unsettle them for a change...

chamartin

Real Madrid doesn't really need him when they have Vinicius Jr. I was always a bit confused by this transfer drama.

It always looked to me just like a convenience, vanity of biggest club in the world(Real Madrid) having the best player, biggest star in world(Mbappe). Like it has to happen - just because it's "natural". Like Lakers having Lebron. Not necessarily because it makes a lot of sense tactically. He's only slightly better than Vinicius.

I'm sorry but you have no idea how Florentino Perez and Real Madrid operate. For them Mbappe is a strategic signing and it has nothing to do with vanity. They need him not only on the pitch but above all, as a franchise player. They can buy him for 200m and they will recoup that money in 3, 4 years from their sponsors. Mbappe for them is actually cheaper than players like Osimhen.

Florentino didn't negotiate Zidane's transfer fee. He just asked Juve how much. He says that if you have some strategic asset for the company or a player for a team the price is not important. The most important thing is the possibility to buy it.