La Liga 2023/24

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
What a great match from Lamine Yamal!!
A lot of quality in passing, dribbling and decision-making.

Ole'sgunnarwin

What a great match from Lamine Yamal!!
A lot of quality in passing, dribbling and decision-making.
He has some talent. Started off amazing and has slowed down a bit which will always happen at that age. He's a great dribbler but I'm most impressed with his passing. Quality

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Ready for Girona absolutely pummeling Sevilla?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
So I didn't watch the game, I just watched the highlights and honestly...have I missed something? I get that it's incredibly unlucky for Almeria but, the penalty and the disallowed goal were both straightforward situations. Like, you genuinely can't complain about those in good faith. Vini's goal, ok, I can maybe see making a case that the images weren't clear enough to give the goal(ruling on the field was handball I believe?), though it does look the ball hits his shoulder

I dunno
- The penalty should have been a foul on Rudiger or Joselu before the handball
- The disallowed goal I'm alright with but an argument can be made that was soft and Bellingham went down easily
- The Vinni Jr goal was a handball IMO as it hit him right about his elbow and it was deliberate

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think the disallowed goal is a bit questionable, I'd be upset if Real Madrid had a goal disallowed for that.
It really isn't. Hitting people in the face is a foul, always, end of story. Complain with the rule if you want, but it's a foul. Same with the penalty

The Vini goal was not helped by the fact it was initially not given, and only given after the VAR review.
Yes, that one on second thought was bad. VAR should not have intervened

Zen

I don't overly follow at the moment, but is Lewandowski pretty much done then? How lucky are they that Saudi now throws money at any old name to get them out of that hole.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
- The penalty should have been a foul on Rudiger or Joselu before the handball
Allright, disagree with this, but ok
- The disallowed goal I'm alright with but an argument can be made that was soft and Bellingham went down easily
This is unarguable. It's a foul. End of story. There is no other possible interpretation here - if you don't think it's a foul you are wrong.

- The Vinni Jr goal was a handball IMO as it hit him right about his elbow and it was deliberate
To me it looks right at the shoulder. Whether it was handball or not is besides the point though - it wasn't clear enough for VAR intervention. That's the mistake, even if you see shoulder(and good goal)

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
No, there's an HD replay from behind where it's clear it's a legit shoulder goal(can't post links). You'll only see shitty zoomed-in gifs from the worse angle possible to make it seem like it was a handball.
Once you see it from the right angle(it wasn't really shown during VAR for some reason), it comes off his arm, it is clear.

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
Ferran-Felix-Yamal

At this moment, the most effective forwards for Barcelona and should be the front 3. Either that or bench Gundogan and play Felix as second striker

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Allright, disagree with this, but ok
Even if we excuse Joselu (even though I think this is a foul) the Rudiger foul was clear. I mean, Rudiger jumped on the opposing player's back, holding him down with two arms, which prevented him from reaching the ball. How VAR could review the play and completely ignore this is quite baffling.

This is unarguable. It's a foul. End of story. There is no other possible interpretation here - if you don't think it's a foul you are wrong.
It's a foul, but it can be argued it was soft and Bellingham went down easily. Like I said, I have no issue with this one.

To me it looks right at the shoulder. Whether it was handball or not is besides the point though - it wasn't clear enough for VAR intervention. That's the mistake, even if you see shoulder(and good goal)
There is a reverse angle where you can see the entire ball and his arm and it looks pretty clear. But as you said, the biggest issue was that it was reviewed, and that's pretty damn scandalous. Even the commentators were confused.

Realismo

Supports
Real Madrid
Once you see it from the right angle(it wasn't really shown during VAR for some reason), it comes off his arm, it is clear.
If you hit it with your arm the ball loses all its momentum, the deflection is not going to go over the goalkeeper like that. For me, there's no more clear replay than the one from behind.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid

I agree that it was not clear enough for VAR intervention but at least the referee could decide from different images in slow motion. When he decided it was a handball by Vinicius before seeing the replays it was like flipping a coin and deciding on a 50% action based on its outcome.

There is a fourth play that has not been commented here. A very clear penalty on Brahim 2-2. Mistake by the referee and VAR does not intervene when it should have.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Ramos looking awful in this game.
At this stage in his career and in a side as badly constructed as Sevilla have become he needs to be playing in a back 3.

Or on the bench given Loic Bade was good for them in their europa win.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
There is a reverse angle where you can see the entire ball and his arm and it looks pretty clear. But as you said, the biggest issue was that it was reviewed, and that's pretty damn scandalous. Even the commentators were confused.
If you pause this video in 6:37, and advance at 0.25 speed there is no way that you can see a handball there. Not just because of how high the ball is, but also because of the force with which it bounces off Vinicius.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
If you pause this video in 6:37, and advance at 0.25 speed there is no way that you can see a handball there. Not just because of how high the ball is, but also because of the force with which it bounces off Vinicius.

Why look at that angle when the angle at 6:41 shows you the entire ball and his arm?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Why look at that angle when the angle at 6:41 shows you the entire ball and his arm?
Because even if you cannot see the anterior part of Vinicius body you can appreciate much better how high the ball hits on his body. It is clear for me it belongs to the green part of the picture below, never the red one

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
2 ilegal goals for them but don't worry Marca Will have some news in the Negreira case this week.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Because even if you cannot see the anterior part of Vinicius body you can appreciate much better how high the ball hits on his body. It is clear for me it belongs to the green part of the picture below, never the red one

Once again, why would you use the angle that shows the least? Makes no sense.

wr8_utd

:'(
Just saw the highlights of the Madrid game and even by their standards, this is just incredible. Almeria have been robbed and how.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Once again, why would you use the angle that shows the least? Makes no sense.

Because it gives the most relevant information.

It shows you more clearly the exact frame when it hits on the body which is very high for it to be the red area. It is clearly the green area.

Plus, if you have ever played football, you would know the trajectory the ball follows would not be possible if it was a handball. The ball tends to drop in that case, never bounce with such force.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Ramos looking awful in this game.
He looked done a few years ago to be honest. I knew he was kinda rushed back from injury in that game but when we played you in the second leg of CL semis he looked a complete shadow of what he used to be. He's looked washed every time I've watched him since then.