L'Equipe : Zidane wants United job / all spaculation no updates

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If they wasn’t bothered we would have had Mourinho in the first place. They are not that stupid. Mourinho hopeFully will be gone soon. I just hope if the right man is not available we don’t rush and just get a caretaker for now.
Agreed, just because Zidane is the only "big" name available doesn't mean we should just run out and get him. I'd even give it to Carrick at the moment. It's a shame that Giggs hasn't been in the Wales job for long because he would have been a better choice at this moment. There's so few options available at the moment...

CA1

What happens if Zizou fails if he was appointed as Utd boss,where does the blame lie then ?
He'll suddenly become a terrible manager and the next flavour of the month will be touted.

Zidane would be mad to come here to manage these players under these owners/board. It's a poisoned chalice.

Bowden

Mate, the guy just won 3 Champions League trophies in a row managing arguably the biggest club in the world. Why would he accept to cut short his sabbatical to join this toxic environment on an interim basis? I think we can get him, but there's no way he'd accept joining on some sort of short term contract, the guy hardly needs to prove himself and at this moment probably has the opportunity to manage for any club in Europe where there's a vacancy.
I see that but at the same time money is always a great influencer, if United were to offer enough I could see him coming. A short term contract could benefit him as well, if he isn't able to turn things around he has the ready made get out that he inherited a mess and his reputation wouldn't suffer too much as a result.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Thanks for the output lads. Does seem like he would be well able for the job which is a bit stupid of me to question since he's won a treble of Champions League's. I was always impressed with his game management at Madrid even though he gets next to no credit for here. He changed systems quite frequently during games at Madrid but always seemed to do it at the correct moment in matches.

Look, I know he had a brilliant squad of players at Madrid and arguably had the best player in the world during that time so If he was to come here, I wouldn't instantly expect results. I want him to come in, motivate the players he has here and do the best and then next summer, get the board to get the players he wants for the system(s) he wants to play to make us successful again. I'd give him all the time and resources he wants for him to achieve that so it's up to the board to want to do the same
In that I disagree. You already assume that whatever he does he will continue next year. You even give him freedom to sign whatever he wants in 19/20.
And surely in 2020/21 he would be justified accusing the players, the club model or Woodward.
Whether or not Zidane (I simply argue that he may be valid, not the only option) I think you have to be a little more demanding and reduce the deadlines.
That is to say, if after three or four months the play does not improve significantly, nor has he managed to revitalize Pogba, Martial, etc., then be able to criticize and appreciate that perhaps he is not the option.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Imagine the shitstorm if the club did anything other than deny the Zidane story. They would basically have to sack Jose immediately because it would completely obliterate his ability to continue managing - with some pretty big fixtures on the horizon.
Is he doing that?

Andersons Dietician

I’ve just seen my first Zidane is taking English lessons in preparation of the United job news story. Papers are going to surely go in to over drive soon with Zidane watch.

Bubz27

A different way of looking at this.

How far do people think Zidane could take this current squad? Let's assume he got the summer to shape the squad. And you'd say on average 3 or 4 players in, 3 or 4 players out. With that sort of turnover, what's this squads realistic ceiling?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This guy just isn't the answer imo. I think he would be great to come into a team and let the players express themselves and keep things ticking over, but this team needs some serious work, and i'm not sure if he's capable of doing that.

Trophy Room

This guy just isn't the answer imo. I think he would be great to come into a team and let the players express themselves and keep things ticking over, but this team needs some serious work, and i'm not sure if he's capable of doing that.
You may be right but I don't think there is anyone available at present who can be that longterm fix. Maybe a short term fix is what we need to steady the ship. He did a decent job at Real after Rafa shat it.

el3mel

You may be right but I don't think there is anyone available at present who can be that longterm fix. Maybe a short term fix is what we need to steady the ship. He did a decent job at Real after Rafa shat it.
We had too many short fixes not working.

I have no problem with Zidane. Always loved but honestly can't see it, can't see this being the right time for him to manage us. For a team terrible going forward, doesn't look coached and lack basics, the thing we need is a manager who will lay direction for the team and put serious efforts into the offensive coaching drill. Zidane has good in game management and can use several formations, but I don't think he had much work to do with coaching Isco, Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema how to attack. I can see him struggling to put an identity for the team as much as Mourinho. Both are cut out of the same clothes when it comes to the offensive side which is depending on the quality up front. I didn't see a definitive style for him at Madrid except utilizing the width.

His man management skills are impressive, and he'll get all the players playing for him. He'll settle Pogba and Martial but at this specific point I think we need something else. The team needs serious work in training ground not a manager whose only problem will be who starts and which formation to play with. I can see us still being heavily disjointed in the attack and reliant on Fellaini/Lukaku headers. He'll push the team forward far more than Mourinho though, that's for sure.

Red1968

I'm at my wits end with Jose, how could Zidane be worse. One thing is for sure , he is not Jose and that seems to be what the team wants right now. Zidane could turn us around fast.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
A different way of looking at this.

How far do people think Zidane could take this current squad? Let's assume he got the summer to shape the squad. And you'd say on average 3 or 4 players in, 3 or 4 players out. With that sort of turnover, what's this squads realistic ceiling?
This squad is still very talented. The forward like has Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Mata and Rashford who are all very good in a decent, cohesive attacking system. The midfield is probably one of the strongest around with Pogba, Fred, Matic & Herrera, Pereira, Fellaini for squad players.

The center of defense and fullbacks need some investment, some deadwood needs to get moved on like Jones, Lindelöf & Rojo. At worse we could recall TFM & Tuanzebe for cover.

Overall the squad is far ways better than the Liverpool team Klopp inherited. Most important is a manager who is not in open revolt with the club while failing at the basic requirements of his own job.

Bubz27

This squad is still very talented. The forward like has Lukaku, Sanchez, Martial, Mata and Rashford who are all very good in a decent, cohesive attacking system. The midfield is probably one of the strongest around with Pogba, Fred, Matic & Herrera, Pereira, Fellaini for squad players.

The center of defense and fullbacks need some investment, some deadwood needs to get moved on like Jones, Lindelöf & Rojo. At worse we could recall TFM & Tuanzebe for cover.
Overall the squad is far ways better than the Liverpool team Klopp inherited. Most important is a manager who is not in open revolt with the club while failing at the basic requirements of his own job.
So what do you think he could do? Title challenge? Win a title? Style of football?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
So what do you think he could do? Title challenge? Win a title? Style of football?
At the very least he'll put us behind City and Liverpool while taking us on a decent QF run in the CL while finally giving some optimism for the near future. Given the current state of the situation, I'd take that and run.

peridigm

I'm at my wits end with Jose, how could Zidane be worse. One thing is for sure , he is not Jose and that seems to be what the team wants right now. Zidane could turn us around fast.
I think he is our best option at this point in time due to the french connection with two important players that need a boot up their back side.

Mainoldo

Fred - Pereira - Pogba

Lingard - Martial

——-Alexis

Hire the man that makes that tick, we’ll be fine.

Bojan11

Agreed, just because Zidane is the only "big" name available doesn't mean we should just run out and get him. I'd even give it to Carrick at the moment. It's a shame that Giggs hasn't been in the Wales job for long because he would have been a better choice at this moment. There's so few options available at the moment...
The issue is this isn't 5 games left into a season. We still have a lot to play for. I think it's a big risk telling Carrick with no coaching background to just manage the team.

We still have a chance of finishing top four, doing something in champions league and FA Cup.

WPMUFC

I think people in here should also leave open the idea that he might not actually want the job.

Not only will he have to control the massive ego's of pogba and Riaola, and the stubbornness of martial, he'll have to contend with a board that is seeking more and more influence over manager decision making. On top of that, take into account that he'll likely have to spent another 400-500 million because he'll turf out everyone that won't be up to his philosophy, and that is even more board oversight.

He might be attracted to a new "project" after winning so much with premade teams, but the idea he'd definitely want to manage us is not set in stone, imo.

TsuWave

Not only will he have to control the massive ego's of pogba and Riaola, and the stubbornness of martial, he'll have to contend with a board that is seeking more and more influence over manager decision making.
:lol:

yeah man, stubbornness of martial has reached mythical status to the point managers tremble at the mention of it.

i'm sorry but this just reads like a bunch of nothing. Pogba's supposed massive ego didn't stop him from being crazy successful at juve and with his national team, in fact, just this week Deschamps has said he's a humble team player and leader, always looking our for the success of the team.

the board stepping in to stop our manager from pissing more money down the drain is a positive, not a negative, in my eyes, dude brings in a bunch of players and can't get basic competence right. when does it stop?

you're right in saying that Zidane may very well not want the job though. we are shit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wouldn't mind us giving it to a caretaker like McKenna or whoever till we come to a final decision.

I agree that Zidane, despite his successes, does have a few question marks over him. And ideally you'd want us to be absolutely certain this time round. As things stand I can't think of anyone better. But I'm sure there loads of talent out there. It doesn't have to be an established top manager either.

ash_86

:lol:

yeah man, stubbornness of martial has reached mythical status to the point managers tremble at the mention of it.

i'm sorry but this just reads like a bunch of nothing. Pogba's supposed massive ego didn't stop him from being crazy successful at juve and with his national team, in fact, just this week Deschamps has said he's a humble team player and leader, always looking our for the success of the team.

the board stepping in to stop our manager from pissing more money down the drain is a positive, not a negative, in my eyes, dude brings in a bunch of players and can't get basic competence right. when does it stop?

you're right in saying that Zidane may very well not want the job though. we are shit.
So what's stopping them from doing the same to our next manager? How much of football knowledge they have to arrive to a conclusion that a player is not good for the team?

The Mad Manc

Thanks then my original point stands. I havent seen managers who dont speak the language well succeeding. Although heard he has started taking lessons so hopefully he catches up. To me it does matter.
Absolutely. Far from ideal getting your points across through an interpreter

OneUnited24

I'd take Simeone or Pochetino in a heartbeat before Zizu
I would be up for Pochettino but I think the buzz that Zidane would bring would reinvigorate the team. I don’t think he’s the answer long term but in the short term I think it would do wonders.

SecondFig

I would be up for Pochettino but I think the buzz that Zidane would bring would reinvigorate the team. I don’t think he’s the answer long term but in the short term I think it would do wonders.
At this point I'd be happy with any current Premier League manager bar Warnock and Benitez. I'd be happy with Carrick til the end of the season, or Giggs, or Neville. I just want to feel engaged with my club again.

TsuWave

So what's stopping them from doing the same to our next manager? How much of football knowledge they have to arrive to a conclusion that a player is not good for the team?
they didn't just randomly do it to Mourinho. it was done after he had already been comprehensively backed in the market and the returns were, well, not exactly amazing. that approach is quite reasonable.

ash_86

they didn't just randomly do it to Mourinho. it was done after he had already been comprehensively backed in the market and the returns were, well, not exactly amazing. that approach is quite reasonable.
We finished second last season beating everyone in the league with a FA cup final. Only other thing we could have done is to beat Sevilla in CL and get knocked out by Bayern. We had a very good last season. If this didn't count as return i don't know what would've.