Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Has there been any 'inSane' puns yet?

Seriously though I was concerned when he didn't play much in the first half of the season but I'm sure Pep knew what he was doing. He's been like a new signing since the start of year. Frightening pace and an end product to match.

He still makes poor decisions sometimes but he turned 21 in January. Very exciting future for him, hopefully with us.

We paid £37m for him, could anyone buy him for that now?

Last edited:

JON.B

Sloop
After a relatively slow start he's developing nicely, if he continues City will have an excellent player in their team.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He is quality. And I'm not surprised he's doing well under pep.

Was hoping we'd get either him or dembele for our RW spot last summer.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Apparently, Sane has scored 6 goals with just 8 shots.

He (and GJ) have turned their season around. The other signings haven't been very successful and it cost them in the first half of the season.
Sterling and de Bruyne have done well. Stones has been inconsistent but too early to say it's a bad signing. Bravo and OtamendI are the only standout poor performers in last 2 years.

Not too dusty, really.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think it's very difficult for wingers not to do well under Pep. He pushes them so high up.

Philadelphian

I can't find it in me to not like this guy. He's going to be a ton of fun to watch as long as he stays healthy. Love the threat of a true winger that can run past a man and whip in a cross with his outside foot. We are definitely missing this layer to our attack, and City have two of the fastest in the league.

RedCurry

He's going to be an immense player for them some day. He has great balance and bags of pace. The way he evaded that slide tackle and looked up to find Aguero was top class.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I actually find the worst thing about him is his crossing. Like his pass to Agüero in that above mentioned scenario. If you're gonna hit it hard at a player that's close to you keep the ball to the ground.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
I actually find the worst thing about him is his crossing. Like his pass to Agüero in that above mentioned scenario. If you're gonna hit it hard at a player that's close to you keep the ball to the ground.
You're right, he needs to pace his crosses better and I'm sure Pep will work on that with him.
Also needs work on his defensive responsibilities but other than that he's a very exciting prospect.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You're right, he needs to pace his crosses better and I'm sure Pep will work on that with him.
Also needs work on his defensive responsibilities but other than that he's a very exciting prospect.
He won't work on his defensive side much with Pep coaching and he really won't have to as long as Pep plays him out wide instead of what he did in the first half. City will be dominating possession and they will get better at it and as a part of the 3 players up top his focus will mainly be on attack. Him and Sterling are both fast and both make good runs when the full backs are exposed but they both need to work on their end product the most, be it the final pass or shot. If I'm not mistaken, most of their goals are close to the 6 yard box with little challenge, either from a rebound or a simple sideways pass.

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
I think he'll have a great season next year. Love watching him play. There's a certain elegance he has to his game in addition to his speed. Quality player and can still improve a lot.

dichinero

He's going to be an immense player for them some day. He has great balance and bags of pace. The way he evaded that slide tackle and looked up to find Aguero was top class.
This. He is still young enough. The talent is there

Philadelphian

Just feel that Rashford could play very similarly from the right side and I hope that possibility isn't neglected.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
He won't work on his defensive side much with Pep coaching and he really won't have to as long as Pep plays him out wide instead of what he did in the first half. City will be dominating possession and they will get better at it and as a part of the 3 players up top his focus will mainly be on attack. Him and Sterling are both fast and both make good runs when the full backs are exposed but they both need to work on their end product the most, be it the final pass or shot. If I'm not mistaken, most of their goals are close to the 6 yard box with little challenge, either from a rebound or a simple sideways pass.
Sorry but Pep will not allow him the luxury of being purely an attacking flanker. Winning the ball back early is something all forwards and AM's are expected to do (hence the Aguero situation) and Sane is no different.
There's also a scenario where the flankers play as advanced wing backs in some games.
Taking the pace off some of his pullbacks is another thing to be worked on.

izec

He is not overrated. He exceeded expectations, a lot of people didnt think he was special before the move and didnt think he would play as quickly as he is now. He will only get better. He is already an important player and dangerous every time he gets the ball. Sane and Jesus are definitely the future for City.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
At the start of the season, he looked largely ineffective and he had many wondering what the hype was about. I like that Pep allowed him to play through that transitional period even when he wasn't offering very much. It's paid off because now he's one of their best players.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
At the start of the season, he looked largely ineffective and he had many wondering what the hype was about. I like that Pep allowed him to play through that transitional period even when he wasn't offering very much. It's paid off because now he's one of their best players.
The switch to the left wing has done it. Before he played as a inside forward from the right and just couldn't get it right. As soon as he went left and sterling right it's completely changed.

padr81

Supports
Man City
He barely played start of the season because he was injured on arrival. then he got the occasional chance because Pep seems to favour Silva on the left wing with Gundo and KDB central or KDB on the right with Gundo and Silva central. He only really started getting a run in the team after Gundo's injury and Nolito dropping off a cliff and since he's got consistent games he's been very good. It was hard for him to be effective because he was carrying an injury and rarely playing

amolbhatia50k

He's excellent. Looked great in Germany as well. I actually thought he'd have a tougher start in England. But he was one of the players I wanted for our right wing slot.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He barely played start of the season because he was injured on arrival. then he got the occasional chance because Pep seems to favour Silva on the left wing with Gundo and KDB central or KDB on the right with Gundo and Silva central. He only really started getting a run in the team after Gundo's injury and Nolito dropping off a cliff and since he's got consistent games he's been very good. It was hard for him to be effective because he was carrying an injury and rarely playing
Where has Nolito gone? He seemed to be scoring all the time in the first few months.

beckbeck

This guy has potential to be a top3 player in the world. He has impressed me a lot but is a bit raw in decision making sometimes. Anyone have been watching him?

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
This guy has potential to be a top3 player in the world. He has impressed me a lot but is a bit raw in decision making sometimes. Anyone have been watching him?
I wouldn't go that far in terms of his potential but he can certainly be a world class winger if he continues as he has been. His final ball is sometimes hit and miss but his pace is frightening and he goes past defenders with ease. This lad nutmegs people more than almost anyone I've seen. Seriously hyped that we have him, and Sterling on the other wing. Perfect balance (at times).

Treble

I wouldn't go that far in terms of his potential but he can certainly be a world class winger if he continues as he has been. His final ball is sometimes hit and miss but his pace is frightening and he goes past defenders with ease. This lad nutmegs people more than almost anyone I've seen. Seriously hyped that we have him, and Sterling on the other wing. Perfect balance (at times).
You'll be in trouble if you still rely on Sterling as a first teamer next season. He's good but not good enough for a team that wants to win the big tropheys.

Sane has a much higher ceiling than Sterling. He may become better than Bale, IMO. Great speed, balance and technique. Needs to work on his decision making but he ain't stupid.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not top three.. great great talent though, has it in him to be a Ribery/Robben level talent and reminds me of Giggsy/Bale. I don't think he can be a Neymar/Ronaldo/Messi style player as he is slightly more one dimensional but cracking player, wish we had gambled on him :(.

Irrational.

Started slowly but the quality eventually shone through. He makes going past defenders look so effortless. Wonderful player who is going to be an absolute superstar.

Blind

Even though City spent close to £70m on Stones and Bravo, the other £70m on Sane and Jesus could be the best they'll ever spend.

legball

Not top three.. great great talent though, has it in him to be a Ribery/Robben level talent and reminds me of Giggsy/Bale. I don't think he can be a Neymar/Ronaldo/Messi style player as he is slightly more one dimensional but cracking player, wish we had gambled on him :(.
I don't think he'll look as good with us.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't think he'll look as good with us.
Agree with that, Pep is obviously a better attacking coach for a young player (regardless of what his doubters will say) but he's that good, he'd have been a big hit here too.

Javi

How are you rating his finishing, can this guy shoot?

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
He's scoring 1 in 3 in addition to his assists, so I'd say he definitely knows where the net is. He's got far more composure than Sterling on the other side. I think it's not the ability to execute but more just making the right decision that we'll see improve. He is still only 21 after all. I'm actually more excited about this lad than Jesus, but I think they'll both be big players next year.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Not currently the strongest part of his game but he keeps a cool head when 1 on 1 with the keeper. He's still got a lot of improving to do and he's very coachable so can see him continuing to improve year on year.

His speed and balance are his greatest assets. His mother was an Olympic medalist at rhythmic gymnastics and his father an international footballer so he's certainly got the right genes to go right to the top.

Many said that we signed him a year too early and that he should have been left another year at Schalke but Bayern were starting to sniff around him so we had to move or risk losing him. Good move.

beckbeck

One thing about Sane-Sterling, I really hate it when the two wingers are super wide players. I like it when there is a 1 on 1 winger like Sterling/Sane and a winger that gives you an extra midfielder and creates numeric advantages like Ozil/Isco (can't think of many right now lol). For instance, in Barcelona Neymar gives the width, Messi drifts inside to help the midfield.

amolbhatia50k

Robben and Ribery were among the top 3 players in the world at different points in time. I wouldn't be surprised if Sane made it to that level. It's not as if the likes mbappe or Dembele are guaranteed to be better than him. Things fluctuate a lot with young players. Either way he's a very exciting talen and doesn't look that many years away from becoming one of the better PL players.