Let's all laugh at England

Status
Not open for further replies.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Whole thread is bizarre to me, i could never imagine going on Juventus or Milan's forum and just hammering into Italy :lol:

Its not even witty or funny about 95% of the comments.
Of course you can't, that means you were born after 1966

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think you're probably right.

I don't mind people laughing at England at all, it's part of football banter. Singing "It's coming Rome" is actually pretty funny. But yeah don't try to justify your dislike of England with a fundamental misunderstanding of their fans and football culture, just own up to not liking them for any number of other perfectly good reasons.
Not once have I tried to justify my dislike of England by using the 3 lions song. I haven’t even got a dislike of England, I just didn’t want them to win and think some of their fans acted like absolute arseholes and didn’t deserve the glory of winning a tournament.

I think the it’s coming home words being banded about by ex players, government, fans, people who don’t even watch football are now separate to the original meaning of that song. That was my difference of opinion. I tried and tried explaining it to you Untill I got bored, hence the bore off When you was still missing it. I’ll apologise for that too.

im sorry you’ve come into a thread called let’s laugh at England and got proper ate up at something, accusing me of hate.

now I sound all too serious so I’ll finish by having a good laugh at it all and England not winning.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
forza azzuri

Bosws87

Of course you can't, that means you were born after 1966
One thing (if we are allowed to claim being good at anything) the English are really good at is self deprecating humour and this thread has just become a dumping ground to take cheap shots.

The actual it's coming Rome stuff is funny.

fergieisold

I still can't understand why foreigners don't get it's coming home is more of a joke than arrogance. it's as if no matter how many times someone tries to explain it to them they still can't grasp the English sense of humour.

Classical Mechanic

I'm quite happy with my hair to be fair.

What do you expect? This tournament, the English shared the head lines only with the Hungarian fans and they went out in the group stage. So naturally, everybody antagonizes you and not the Russians. 2021 you were the country that embarassed itself the most in so many ways and that's the cause for the gloating.

France was 2018 and if they made it to the final in similar fashion as England did in 2021 with all the noise, the reactions would have been the same. This isn't about an England bias, it's just people don't want bad behaviour to be rewarded.

Yes, absolutely. It's a shame how certain fan groups act in Germany. And if our manager says something stupid, you can also criticize that. Actions and consequences

True but this doesn't explain the universal antagonization of England this tournament. Personally, I haven't experienced something like that bar maybe Italy 2006 - and I don't know if that was really an international phenomenon or limited to Germany. Probably the whole of Europe perceived you as the bad guys in this final.
Fair points. I’m not going to respond in detail though because this thread is not a serious one and has been derailed.

I think there was a lot of hate for Uruguay at WC14 actually when Suarez did that handball save.

BFernandes

I still can't understand why foreigners don't get it's coming home is more of a joke than arrogance. it's as if no matter how many times someone tries to explain it to them they still can't grasp the English sense of humour.
I don't think it was a joke, it seemed more of a devine right for England to win the tournament.

shaky

Maybe you just don't get our "foreign" sense of humour.

littleman

Oh they’re not laughing at you, they’re laughing with you. It was a funny joke and they’re taking it all the way. It’s very meta.

You need to grasp the non-English sense of humor. It was funny yesterday and still very funny today. It’ll probably be funny tomorrow. We’re all still laughing

DoomSlayer

As I said I’m Irish, we don’t have ANY hooligans. I don’t want to be associated with hooligans or racists and neither do 99.9% of the people on here, If any at all. You’re having a tantrum here big time man. Accusing innocent non discriminative people of enabling the racial abuse of footballers and all? It’s way ott and wide of the mark when you’re talking to most of us. As an Irish person we were abused in every imaginable way by the English yet you call me a hypocrite? At least I can let it all go and enjoy football for what it is, entertainment, unlike some England fans and media. The vast vast majority of United fans are more than alright with me, they’ve always been very welcoming to all nationalities as far as I could see. Big Irish influence in Manchester. Great nights. Happy days.

27 arrests out of how many millions of fans? I’d say relatively speaking that’s a very low number of idiots who are now banned for life. Good for them. Hopefully the club keeps it up! That element clearly still exists in English society. Hero’s when they win, immigrants when they lose. It’s sickening to me.

Like linking an article like that and calling people hypocrites just makes you look daft. Is there a problem in football? Absolutely but we aren’t the worst club out there, not by a long long shot.
And you don't think this vitriolic "banter" on every platform and social media won't affect the England players, 5 of which are United lads? You don't think their hypothetical success could have spurred them on in their careers and made our club even stronger in the process?

Maybe I misjudged some of you for being too toxic, it could be that you are too short-sighted and would rather cut your nose off to spite your face.

Schneiderman

I think you're probably right.

I don't mind people laughing at England at all, it's part of football banter. Singing "It's coming Rome" is actually pretty funny. But yeah don't try to justify your dislike of England with a fundamental misunderstanding of their fans and football culture, just own up to not liking them for any number of other perfectly good reasons.
Same. I can appreciate the funny side of the Rome stuff, Schmeichel's response and if this was filled with a thousand laughing emojis.

Instead the thread was used as yet another to bash all England fans, calling us all sorts of names under the sun under the guise of it being because we're so arrogant. I don't think we're being "salty" in calling that out.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Agree, you can only beat what's put in front of you and they did. Lest we forget, most of these kids won the U20 World Cup very recently.

Future is bright but, as I said before the game, there's a very real danger they get crushed by the weight of expectation.

I can't think of a worse environment to have a penalty shootout than at Wembley, packed with England fans, after all the hoo-hah of the last week. I've no idea what possessed Southgate not to go all out for the win. Feck Sancho and Grealish' mop, stick Rashford in there instead of Saka and I reckon Italy were there for the taking.
The worrying thing about England right now is Southgate's reaction to Italy cranking it up a few notches in the second half. Rather than combating the situation with a positive approach, such as making use of the pace and ability we had on the bench, as any quality manager would have done under the circumstances, he decided to invite more pressure on his side (whether knowingly or otherwise) by throwing Henderson and the defensive-minded Saka into the mix. He conceded to the superior Italians there and then, choosing to see the game out and win on penalties. Basically, his tactical limitations cost England the game.

What's equally worrying is how not a single pundit called him out on it. He'll be in charge of the England team for the Qatar WC next year, there is no escaping that at this point. All we can do is hope and pray he has learned from his mistakes, but how is that going to happen if no one calls him out on his mistake in the Italy game?

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
In fairness, those two won the last couple of World Cups. If you had to choose a neutral ground for a Euro final BEFORE the tournament London was the obvious safe choice out of the bigger cities.

I also think if anything holding the final at home was a curse once you got to squeaky bum time.
I'll give you the final. But not all the semis on top and generally every game for England at home besides the quarters. Come on.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's based on us believing we invented football, so it's coming back to where it belongs.
So while the Skinner/Baddiel thing is jokey and wishful in tone it does have a bit of an undercurrent about it.

I can't imagine we'd take too kindly to some team that have won 1 trophy in 100 years claiming it's coming home for them either :)

The Hilton

Not once have I tried to justify my dislike of England by using the 3 lions song. I haven’t even got a dislike of England, I just didn’t want them to win and think some of their fans acted like absolute arseholes and didn’t deserve the glory of winning a tournament.

I think the it’s coming home words being banded about by ex players, government, fans, people who don’t even watch football are now separate to the original meaning of that song. That was my difference of opinion. I tried and tried explaining it to you Untill I got bored, hence the bore off When you was still missing it. I’ll apologise for that too.

im sorry you’ve come into a thread called let’s laugh at England and got proper ate up at something, accusing me of hate.

now I sound all too serious so I’ll finish by having a good laugh at it all and England not winning.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
forza azzuri
By all means laugh, I haven't said you shouldn't, I'd be doing the same for Liverpool.

However, those words are of people joining in on the joke, and that's what you fail to grasp. I haven't "got proper ate up at something", I simply explained why using use of the song to accuse England fans of being arrogance is doing so based on a false premise. There are plenty of other perfectly good reasons to root against England to choose instead.

Anyway this is going round in circles now, multiple English fans have given you explanations about our humour that you've rejected in favour of your own interpretation of our humour, so lets accept that nothing I say will impact your opinion and leave it at that.

R'hllor

Some really dont have shame, the moment tables turned, weirdos turned into confused victims, just own it up ffs.

sully07

You aren't getting hate. You're getting ridicule.

I didn't realise and am a little relieved, am always up for a good bit of ridicule for coming second. Out of interest, in what part of Italy do you live?

The Hilton

It's based on us believing we invented football, so it's coming back to where it belongs.
So while the Skinner/Baddiel thing is jokey and wishful in tone it does have a bit of an undercurrent about it.

I can't imagine we'd take too kindly to some team that have won 1 trophy in 100 years claiming it's coming home for them either :)
If they were doing so in a tongue in cheek way, based on wishful thinking in the face of constant failure, then I imagine we'd hopefully see it for the self deprecating joke it is.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Redcafe vs Redcafe. Have never seen anything like it. Going to check Mayan calendar to see if doomsday is coming soon.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I'm not. The two things overlap here. ABEs mistake joy/hope/excitement for arrogance, which is why there's value in questioning what the ABEs believe justifies their schadenfreude.
It's not arrogance, though. It's taking delight in their misfortune.

Also, when basically every other nation looks at England in the context of football and sees arrogance, there's something to it. The only people who don't see it are English. Also, we're obviously talking about generalisations here. It's not to say that every single english fan is an arrogant thug. Becuase that's obviously not the case.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If they were doing so in a tongue in cheek way, based on wishful thinking in the face of constant failure, then I imagine we'd hopefully see it for the self deprecating joke it is.
It's also interesting the use of the word" failure" in fairness.

Failure as in meaning not winning the trophy is a bit harsh.
Especially with our single win in history.

Getting to the final this year, and the semi in 2018 were actually brilliant results beyond all bar exceptional optimist's ideas.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'm not. The two things overlap here. ABEs mistake joy/hope/excitement for arrogance, which is why there's value in questioning what the ABEs believe justifies their schadenfreude.
Fine margins between

Stage 1: joy/hope/excitement
Stage 2: delusion and
Stage 3: arrogance.

I'd say the progression was between 1 and 2 and the shadenfraude/relief comes from people bracing themselves in anticipation of a very extended stage 3, until the next World Cup at least.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
And you don't think this vitriolic "banter" on every platform and social media won't affect the England players, 5 of which are United lads? You don't think their hypothetical success could have spurred them on in their careers and made our club even stronger in the process?

Maybe I misjudged some of you for being too toxic, it could be that you are too short-sighted and would rather cut your nose off to spite your face.
Someone has to lose? What’s the flip side of that particular argument? It cancels itself out. Now Chiesa is a bigger star than he was. He deserves the praise. Fair play to the Italian players, they bettered England for 100 minutes. Their tactics were more positive. Their midfield was great on the ball. The penos were cocky but I’m not going to lay into Rashford over that today, it’s a penalty, not a big deal.

What I will say I would personally rather he didn’t win everything after one of the most confusing seasons of football I can ever remember seeing at United from a regular starter. I hope he gets fit and gets back to his best because he’s currently way off it. What if he’d won it and kept up the same sleepwalking style stuff next season? He needed a shake up or at least to come to the realisation that’s he’s no good to anyone when he’s half fit. England will be back as will Rashford and Sancho. I hope they work hard and don’t buy into the hype. They still have it all to prove on the pitch. I’d rather they came back with a point to prove than on the back of a victory they played very little part in. Yes I can’t help but feel bad for Harry and Luke.

DoomSlayer

It's not arrogance, though. It's taking delight in their misfortune.

Also, when basically every other nation looks at England in the context of football and sees arrogance, there's something to it. The only people who don't see it are English. Also, we're obviously talking about generalisations here. It's not to say that every single english fan is an arrogant thug. Becuase that's obviously not the case.
Just like us, Manchester United fans. But yet I'm sure you dislike the way our club and fanbase is portrayed in the media or talked about by other football fans. :lol: ABU is a very common phrase used on the Caf, after all.

redmanx

I don't think it was a joke, it seemed more of a devine right for England to win the tournament.
Unfortunately, far too many people believe that is the case, that because "we" allegedly invented the game its our right to be the best and win. Regarding the origins of football the only thing "we" can lay any valid claim to is the beginning of and organization of the professional game.

DoomSlayer

Someone has to lose? What’s the flip side of that particular argument? It cancels itself out. Now Chiesa is a bigger star than he was. He deserves the praise. Fair play to the Italian players, they bettered England for 100 minutes. Their tactics were more positive. Their midfield was great on the ball. The penos were cocky but I’m not going to lay into Rashford over that today, it’s a penalty, not a big deal.

What I will say I would personally rather he didn’t win everything after one of the most confusing seasons of football I can ever remember seeing at United from a regular starter. I hope he gets fit and gets back to his best because he’s currently way off it. What if he’d won it and kept up the same sleepwalking style stuff next season? He needed a shake up or at least to come to the realisation that’s he’s no good to anyone when he’s half fit. England will be back as will Rashford and Sancho. I hope they work hard and don’t buy into the hype. They still have it all to prove on the pitch.
What? Why would I give a feck about Chiesa, who is a Juventus player? And why are you talking about Rashford only, when we also have Sancho, Shaw, Maguire and Henderson in the squad? I know you are obsessed with Marcus, but give it a rest.

It's like people here forget the players are English as well. I'd like to know if you think it would be alright to spout so much toxicity, knowing 5 of our very own players are involved and may get affected by it. I expected a lot more sympathy for that reason alone, it was the least our fanbase could do.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Just like us, Manchester United fans. But yet I'm sure you dislike the way our club and fanbase is portrayed in the media or talked about by other football fans. :lol: ABU is a very common phrase used on the Caf, after all.
And is it used by me? No

Also, i completly understand why we're portartyed (United fans that is) the way we are. That's what happens when you win all the time (or used to, anway) and make sure everyone knows about it. The difference is, as a United fan, i don't give a shite. It doesn't bother me, in fact.

Rooney1987

Redcafe vs Redcafe. Have never seen anything like it. Going to check Mayan calendar to see if doomsday is coming soon.
Like this at every major tournament. I guess this might feel worse because first time England actually had a chance to win so both sides are probably going over the top but generally it's always like this.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
What? Why would I give a feck about Chiesa, who is a Juventus player? And why are you talking about Rashford only, when we also have Sancho, Shaw, Maguire and Henderson in the squad? I know you are obsessed with Marcus, but give it a rest.

It's like people here forget the players are English as well. I'd like to know if you think it would be alright to spout so much toxicity, knowing 5 of our very own players are involved and may get affected by it. I expected a lot more sympathy for that reason alone, it was the least our fanbase could do.
Thats the only reason I was watching the team and wishing them well. The England fans put me off by the semi final. They killed my semi if you will

DoomSlayer

And is it used by me? No

Also, i completly understand why we're portartyed (United fans that is) the way we are. That's what happens when you win all the time (or used to, anway) and make sure everyone knows about it. The difference is, as a United fan, i don't give a shite. It doesn't bother me, in fact.
So it's acceptable to be arrogant if you are winning? Because it seems you are blaming a different set of fans for essentially what you are as well, but the difference is the team you support is more successful. Talk about taking the moral high ground.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I explained it here from the perspective of a foreigner that lived a fair share of his adult life in England:

I get the joke and its self-deprecating nature. The song is originally from before the 1996 Euros as well and you had just not even qualified for the World Cup, so clearly not a hint of arrogance in its origin.

What rubs people the wrong way is the Home reference, not the winning part. Strictly correct yeah, it's probably one of the greatest positive contributions from the Empire that it spread the sport far and wide but the reactions it elicits are:

1) It isn't yours any more, sorry, it's global, it's everyone's, now go piss off with that Home shit.

2) Much like the FA chastised United for joining the EC, they actively avoided the World Cup until 1950 as if it were a lesser competition for football neanderthals/nobodies. Then they show up and get beaten at soccer by the USofA :lol:

3) I don't have an empire chip on my shoulder, but I would hazard a guess that claiming something as yours (regardless of intent, that's how it comes across) over a century later doesn't sit well with anyone who does.

Can you see how people from other cultures/nationalities could quite easily interpret it that way?

Of course 2 isn't England's fault but that of a certain type (FA authorities) which continue to piss people off to this day, foreign or English. Three is a very specific scenario, doesn't explain the Italians taking issue with it. #1 is universal though.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Threads great, got English people starting it and laughing at England and people who are not English defending England :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.