Lingard signs new £100k 4 year contract (Sky) | Official: Option to extend for a further year

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Reading this forum over the years and noticed that one of the biggest complaints you guys have had is how your club keeps around so many average players. To give one of those average players £100k a week is strange. I could be wrong, but I'm not even sure some of our better players at Chelsea are on that much.

It would have been like us giving Mikel 100k a week.
According to reports RLC is on 60K, that makes 75K per week to Lingard not that high.

Chelsea have convinced Ruben Loftus-Cheek to commit his future to the club by doubling his salary and making the midfielder a series of promises over first-team opportunities.

Academy graduate Loftus-Cheek has signed a new five-year contract that could see the 20-year-old earn upwards of £60,000-a-week at Stamford Bridge.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Cheek-signs-five-year-contract-extension.html

wolvored

He won't (except China), that's true. It depends 100% on what Rooney himself wants. I think there might be a couple of interested clubs, but he'd have to lower his wage demands to the level of a player he is. As almost always when transferring to a smaller/less rich club, especially at that age/stage of career.
I think his missus will have something to say as well as she has 2 kids just started school/nursery

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think its fair to say that Chelsea and City compete financially with us. They lose, but they compete, and the wages they pay their players aren't completely different from ours. They're, at the very least, in a close enough ball park that the likes of Kante will go there even if Chelsea offer lower wages than us. I'm yet to see any suggestion that overpaying has led to a competitive advantage for us. To me, I think all it has done is foster a sense of complacency amongst the players.
Well there you go. So why did you say no other club would pay the sort of money that we do?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I think his missus will have something to say as well as she has 2 kids just started school/nursery
True. Will be interesting to see what happens. He's bold "I'll retire from int. football after WC 2018" as well... No matter what Southgate says, I think Rooney's England days are numbered, if there's no miraculous turn around of form at some club. But that's for another thread.

NinjaFletch

Well there you go. So why did you say no other club would pay the sort of money that we do?
Because they don't? They can and sometimes do (e.g. Hazard's new contract may well make him the highest paid player in the league), but they don't in every case.

For reference, Moses' new contract is reported to be around £75k a week. That's for a player who has come from a similar background to Lingard, but currently plays a much more important squad role for them. I can't see any argument to suggest why it's beneficial to pay more than that.

And I like Lingard and I'm happy to see him stay; I just don't think the approach of chucking money around like its going out of fashion is working for us.

prtk0811

Who would have thought this boy will sign such a big contract. Just look at his oversized shorts :lol:

prath92

a- if De Laurentiis and Galliani were making stupid points then so do I

b- He would start in most lower end EPL sides. However none of them will be ready to match his 120k a week. Young on the other hand would be stupid to take a pay cut to play for West Brom

c- As said Im referring to squad players like Lingard being paid 100k a week
They are making different points than you are. They made a point to say that they wanted the player but didn't get the player due to us refusing to sell or player being injured. Last summer I don't think we had any plans of letting Fellaini go. Milan tried and failed. It's wrong to say that he would have moved if he was paid 50k or so.

You specifically said Young was crap in your previous post and now you backtrack to say that he will start but he won't get this wage? That's not a big find. Pretty sure most players moving down the league would not get the same wage. He would still easily get close to 80k. Jonjo Shelvey gets that at Newcastle. Young is a more useful player

As said above the likes of park used to get high wages for being a squad player too.

MoskvaRed

Man United aren't struggling financially in the slightest. Since you pay footballers with money, we're all good.
They are struggling on the pitch, which is the part Lingard contributes to. The fact that the commercial dept rakes in millions on the back of the global behemoth Fergie built up allows us to indulge in such extravagance but it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
They are making different points than you are. They made a point to say that they wanted the player but didn't get the player due to us refusing to sell or player being injured. Last summer I don't think we had any plans of letting Fellaini go. Milan tried and failed. It's wrong to say that he would have moved if he was paid 50k or so.

You specifically said Young was crap in your previous post and now you backtrack to say that he will start but he won't get this wage? That's not a big find. Pretty sure most players moving down the league would not get the same wage. He would still easily get close to 80k. Jonjo Shelvey gets that at Newcastle. Young is a more useful player

As said above the likes of park used to get high wages for being a squad player too.
a- United refused selling on both counts and guess what? I agree with them. I don't rate Fellaini but we shouldn't handle him over for next to nothing especially since I am pretty sure he would have returned after the 1 year loan was over

b- He's crap for the salary he's been paid for. Happy now?

c- Park was 5 times the player Lingard is.

poleglass red

Seems a lot more money than he is worth. If we sold him tomorrow, what would we get and where would he go. Maybe one of our nursery teams such as Everton or West Brom, but we'd get maybe 20 million for him. It seems to be the way football is going these days, 100k per week for a squad player. He's a squad player in essentially a poor Utd team, what will he be next season when presumably we will have a stronger squad. In fairness to him, he does put in a shift in that he tries. I think if it wasn't for him having such a punchable face, we'd probably be fairly content. he's up there with Vardy , Sterling and Pardew is the smackable face dept.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Not enough people are paying attention to my shit opinions, so I'm going to write a very long post.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed at ante. Mauris eleifend, quam a vulputate dictum, massa quam dapibus leo, eget vulputate orci purus ut lorem. In fringilla mi in ligula. Pellentesque aliquam quam vel dolor. Nunc adipiscing. Sed quam odio, tempus ac, aliquam molestie, varius ac, tellus. Vestibulum ut nulla aliquam risus rutrum interdum. Pellentesque lorem. Curabitur sit amet erat quis risus feugiat viverra. Pellentesque augue justo, sagittis et, lacinia at, venenatis non, arcu. Nunc nec libero. In cursus dictum risus. Etiam tristique nisl a nulla. Ut a orci. Curabitur dolor nunc, egestas at, accumsan at, malesuada nec, magna.

Nulla facilisi. Nunc volutpat. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Ut sit amet orci vel mauris blandit vehicula. Nullam quis enim. Integer dignissim viverra velit. Curabitur in odio. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Ut consequat, tellus eu volutpat varius, justo orci elementum dolor, sed imperdiet nulla tellus ut diam. Vestibulum ipsum ante, malesuada quis, tempus ac, placerat sit amet, elit.

Sed eget turpis a pede tempor malesuada. Vivamus quis mi at leo pulvinar hendrerit. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Pellentesque aliquet lacus vitae pede. Nullam mollis dolor ac nisi. Phasellus sit amet urna. Praesent pellentesque sapien sed lacus. Donec lacinia odio in odio. In sit amet elit. Maecenas gravida interdum urna. Integer pretium, arcu vitae imperdiet facilisis, elit tellus tempor nisi, vel feugiat ante velit sit amet mauris. Vivamus arcu. Integer pharetra magna ac lacus. Aliquam vitae sapien in nibh vehicula auctor. Suspendisse leo mauris, pulvinar sed, tempor et, consequat ac, lacus. Proin velit. Nulla semper lobortis mauris. Duis urna erat, ornare et, imperdiet eu, suscipit sit amet, massa. Nulla nulla nisi, pellentesque at, egestas quis, fringilla eu, diam.

Donec semper, sem nec tristique tempus, justo neque commodo nisl, ut gravida sem tellus suscipit nunc. Aliquam erat volutpat. Ut tincidunt pretium elit. Aliquam pulvinar. Nulla cursus. Suspendisse potenti. Etiam condimentum hendrerit felis. Duis iaculis aliquam enim. Donec dignissim augue vitae orci. Curabitur luctus felis a metus. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. In varius neque at enim. Suspendisse massa nulla, viverra in, bibendum vitae, tempor quis, lorem. Fancius breakfastum doorstepio.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
a- United refused selling on both counts and guess what? I agree with them. I don't rate Fellaini but we shouldn't handle him over for next to nothing especially since I am pretty sure he would have returned after the 1 year loan was over

You don't half chat some complete rubbish.

OL29

@Akash

Really, who gives a feck whether he earns 100k or 200k or 50k?
As Jose rightly pointed out, people are just jealous. He deserves what the club thinks he deserves.
The club is in a far far better position to make that call than people on redcafe.

If Lingard does well then would people enjoy it more if he did it on 50k a week than 100k? No. Or if the answer is yes you're a fecking weirdo.
And how exactly do you figure this out?
Lingard signs new contract.

Redcafe is worried we wouldn't be able to shift him on. Classic.
:lol:

And now Trump and brexit compared to Lingard signing a new contract. Ffs
A truly dark day in the history of Manchester United, it must be said. I tossed and turned in my bed for the entire night unable to shake this off my mind. All I could see was Jesse garlanded with money while Pedro looked on enviously surrounded by his multiple champions league trophies with a sad expression on his face. I just don't see how I can continue cheering his goals knowing fully well that he fleeces the club on a weekly basis. Had he been earning only 60k a week I might have been convinced to get up from my armchair and wave my arms in elation.
Entirely untrue.
You don't half chat some complete rubbish.
At least he contributes to discussion rather than just patronising everyone who disagrees with him

Ixion

Rather than a culture of competitiveness and aspiration, it's a culture of high reward for low achievement, and before you know it, you're 6th.
This is precisely the problem. Reward players for getting us back to the top not missing out on the top 4 every year.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not enough people are paying attention to my shit opinions, so I'm going to write a very long post.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed at ante. Mauris eleifend, quam a vulputate dictum, massa quam dapibus leo, eget vulputate orci purus ut lorem. In fringilla mi in ligula. Pellentesque aliquam quam vel dolor. Nunc adipiscing. Sed quam odio, tempus ac, aliquam molestie, varius ac, tellus. Vestibulum ut nulla aliquam risus rutrum interdum. Pellentesque lorem. Curabitur sit amet erat quis risus feugiat viverra. Pellentesque augue justo, sagittis et, lacinia at, venenatis non, arcu. Nunc nec libero. In cursus dictum risus. Etiam tristique nisl a nulla. Ut a orci. Curabitur dolor nunc, egestas at, accumsan at, malesuada nec, magna.

Nulla facilisi. Nunc volutpat. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Ut sit amet orci vel mauris blandit vehicula. Nullam quis enim. Integer dignissim viverra velit. Curabitur in odio. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Ut consequat, tellus eu volutpat varius, justo orci elementum dolor, sed imperdiet nulla tellus ut diam. Vestibulum ipsum ante, malesuada quis, tempus ac, placerat sit amet, elit.

Sed eget turpis a pede tempor malesuada. Vivamus quis mi at leo pulvinar hendrerit. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis *** parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Pellentesque aliquet lacus vitae pede. Nullam mollis dolor ac nisi. Phasellus sit amet urna. Praesent pellentesque sapien sed lacus. Donec lacinia odio in odio. In sit amet elit. Maecenas gravida interdum urna. Integer pretium, arcu vitae imperdiet facilisis, elit tellus tempor nisi, vel feugiat ante velit sit amet mauris. Vivamus arcu. Integer pharetra magna ac lacus. Aliquam vitae sapien in nibh vehicula auctor. Suspendisse leo mauris, pulvinar sed, tempor et, consequat ac, lacus. Proin velit. Nulla semper lobortis mauris. Duis urna erat, ornare et, imperdiet eu, suscipit sit amet, massa. Nulla nulla nisi, pellentesque at, egestas quis, fringilla eu, diam.

Donec semper, sem nec tristique tempus, justo neque commodo nisl, ut gravida sem tellus suscipit nunc. Aliquam erat volutpat. Ut tincidunt pretium elit. Aliquam pulvinar. Nulla cursus. Suspendisse potenti. Etiam condimentum hendrerit felis. Duis iaculis aliquam enim. Donec dignissim augue vitae orci. Curabitur luctus felis a metus. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis *** parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. In varius neque at enim. Suspendisse massa nulla, viverra in, bibendum vitae, tempor quis, lorem. Fancius breakfastum doorstepio.
The bits in bold are complete nonsense. I swear you've been watching different games to me. Numpty.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The bits in bold are complete nonsense. I swear you've been watching different games to me. Numpty.
:lol: I've no idea what it all means, except the 'fancius breakfastum' bit, chief.

prath92

a- what you said earlier was that the reason they didn't buy was because the wages were too high for them. Nothing to suggest that we would have sold him even if they were willing to pay his full wage. So you're wrong there

Not really crap. But sure whatever you think I suppose

Park was doing a similar job for United that lingard is doing right now. Filling in for a forward player as rotational, mostly a defensive winger/ attacking midfielder. At times as a marking job. He was also a big game player. In his 6 years he scored 27 goals so his output wasn't that high either.

RedFish

Sed eget turpis a pede tempor malesuada. Vivamus quis mi at leo pulvinar hendrerit. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis *** parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Pellentesque aliquet lacus vitae pede. Nullam mollis dolor ac nisi. Phasellus sit amet urna. Praesent pellentesque sapien sed lacus. Donec lacinia odio in odio. In sit amet elit. Maecenas gravida interdum urna. Integer pretium, arcu vitae imperdiet facilisis, elit tellus tempor nisi, vel feugiat ante velit sit amet mauris. Vivamus arcu. Integer pharetra magna ac lacus. Aliquam vitae sapien in nibh vehicula auctor. Suspendisse leo mauris, pulvinar sed, tempor et, consequat ac, lacus. Proin velit. Nulla semper lobortis mauris. Duis urna erat, ornare et, imperdiet eu, suscipit sit amet, massa. Nulla nulla nisi, pellentesque at, egestas quis, fringilla eu, diam.

Donec semper, sem nec tristique tempus, justo neque commodo nisl, ut gravida sem tellus suscipit nunc. Aliquam erat volutpat. Ut tincidunt pretium elit. Aliquam pulvinar. Nulla cursus. Suspendisse potenti. Etiam condimentum hendrerit felis. Duis iaculis aliquam enim. Donec dignissim augue vitae orci. Curabitur luctus felis a metus. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis *** parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. In varius neque at enim. Suspendisse massa nulla, viverra in, bibendum vitae, tempor quis, lorem. Fancius breakfastum doorstepio.
Feck sake, my 3D glasses are shite.

attack attack

Another muppet
Hasn't he been on 25k/w for something like 6 years? Or something similar I thought I read?

I thought it was genuinely absurd that people who are so obsessed with wage parity that they weren't going into bat non stop for Lingard who was a first team player on such a paltry wage.
Now his wage is over the top. I guess nobody can win.

I'm happy for him that he signed a new deal and look forward to watching his future unfold.
Just the paltry 6 million in wages over those years.

I would have thought that pretty good for an honest but limited player with great movement and energy but little end product.

attack attack

Another muppet
So if the headline had been that we've just bought a young England international with PL experience and some matchwinning goals to his name, would people be so critical? Now if we added that his total cost, transfer fee + wages, would be £15m, rising to £20m with bonuses, we'd think it was a very reasonable option for the club.

Now throw in the fact we're low on club trained and homegrown players, the contract renewal makes sense, for us and him. It's a gamble, so are all signings and all contracts. We're making a commitment to him based on what the manager thinks he will do. That's what we do every time we sign a player.
But it was an unnecessary gamble, was he going to put in a transfer request if offered a double your money 50 k, with enhancements for goals/appearances?

attack attack

Another muppet
You keep mentioning that statistic. Here's another one. He creates chances at the second highest rate (every 36 minutes) of everyone in our squad. He is also the only player to score in both of our last two cup finals.
He hasn't played much, because when he has played he hasn't been much good.
Stats are misleading.....Rolling the ball to Pogba from 30 yrds to smack it high and handsome is a chance created and the same as beating 3 players and playing a killer pass. I have watched him play regularly, he moves alot ,has great high energy but with poor end product.
Happy that he would be a back up for league cup games and sadly for our Europa cup games next year also.

attack attack

Another muppet
We've been garbage at finishing chances. We've missed more "big chances" than any other team in the league. In terms of creating chances we're right up there. More chances created than City, Arsenal or Chelsea (with games in hand over the only teams ahead of us, Spurs and Liverpool) So if Lingard is creating chances more frequently than all but one of his team-mates he's clearly doing something right and he'd look a lot better, in terms of assists, if our attackers were a bit more capable of hitting a cow's arse with a banjo (and yes, he's guilty of missed chances himself).

Players ratings are biased nonsense. Any player who keeps another popular player out of the team always gets harshly treated. FWIW, Lingard has had some poor games this season. He's been inconsistent, like a lot of our attacking players. I also think he's been as good as any of them on his day and generally been a key player for us in almost all of our really impressive performances this season. With stats to back that opinion up.

He's also a local lad, loyal to the club, has come up through the ranks since he was in primary school and should be someone we're all delighted to see pull on the shirt. I just don't get why so many people feel so negative about him. This club will be a lot less connected to the match-going fans the day we start lining up without players like Jesse in our team, that's for damn sure.
I think those ratings are close to the mark, especially for the big fan favourite Pogba.

We want him to stay, and to even play occasionally from the bench if we ever get a 2 goal lead again.
We have now made him one of the top paid players in the whole league despite not being good enough to start over the last few years and without any real evidence of him becoming the quality of player to deserve that wage.

lsd

The Oracle
I'd rather we keep faith in players like Jesse than overspend on the likes of Rodriguez and Robben who only vote us as a final payday she would do nothing to get us back on top

clarkydaz

racist

AndyJ1985

So if the headline had been that we've just bought a young England international with PL experience and some matchwinning goals to his name, would people be so critical? Now if we added that his total cost, transfer fee + wages, would be £15m, rising to £20m with bonuses, we'd think it was a very reasonable option for the club.

Now throw in the fact we're low on club trained and homegrown players, the contract renewal makes sense, for us and him. It's a gamble, so are all signings and all contracts. We're making a commitment to him based on what the manager thinks he will do. That's what we do every time we sign a player.
If we bought an average 24 year old for £15m and gave him £100k per week I'd wonder what the hell we were doing. Same as when we bought Young for £20m and gave him £120k per week.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

I largely agree with this, Steve - apart from the bit about the Japanese being evil and plotting to take over everything. It's a possibility, as it's always been, but we simply do not have enough evidence to support such claims at the present time.

As for Lingard, he could be evil. But he could also be a pretty much ideal squad man for us in the future. The money will be stupid, can't help that, apparently. We overpay for everything. Replacing a pretty much ideal squad man could easily be just as expensive as giving him a contract people will react to at first glance.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I still don't understand the controversy over this. Our wage structure is set up in such a way that if Lingard were to inquire to the PFA and ask the going rate for a player of his status (squad) at comparable clubs (Chelsea, City), he'd receive a rough quote. The manager clearly thinks Lingard can do what he wants him to do, and is happy to tie him up to a four year deal. There's also the fact that should we decide to move him on in a year, we'll receive a higher premium.

It's a standard contract for a squad player at this club to receive. Ashley Young was on a comparable amount for years.

Ixion

It's a standard contract for a squad player at this club to receive. Ashley Young was on a comparable amount for years.
It's not standard at all, 100k would put him on more than Baily, Smalling, Carrick, Valencia, Rojo, Martial, Herrera, Blind, Rashford. All of them are more first-teamers than Lingard. This actually makes him one of our higher paid players.

And Ashley Young's salary was always ridiculous, no one thought that was standard (it was mostly because he was a free transfer so we saved money on a transfer fee)

AndyJ1985

I still don't understand the controversy over this. Our wage structure is set up in such a way that if Lingard were to inquire to the PFA and ask the going rate for a player of his status (squad) at comparable clubs (Chelsea, City), he'd receive a rough quote. The manager clearly thinks Lingard can do what he wants him to do, and is happy to tie him up to a four year deal. There's also the fact that should we decide to move him on in a year, we'll receive a higher premium.

It's a standard contract for a squad player at this club to receive.
It's not a standard contract for a squad player, hence why over half the squad are paid less.

If it were a standard wage for a squad player then we'd be run very poorly indeed. Far better teams than us in Europe pay far less for squad players. Not that you would understand the problem with that, apparently.

Ashley Young was on a comparable amount for years.
You've just used an example of one of our worst and most overpaid signings of the last decade, to try and prove that paying Lingard £100k is a good deal...

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
It's not standard at all, 100k would put him on more than Smalling, Carrick, Valencia, Rojo, Martial, Herrera, Blind, Rashford. All of them are more first-teamers than Lingard. This actually makes him one of our higher paid players.

And Ashley Young's salary was always ridiculous, no one thought that was standard (it was mostly because he was a free transfer so we saved money on a transfer fee)
Smalling could be out the door. Carrick will probably leave. Valencia is at an age where he isn't going to receive a lucrative contract. Rojo is on 70k a week, and that was negotiated years ago. His new contract would be worth over 100k, if and when he begins negotiations. Martial was 19, and Lingard has featured more under Jose. Herrera's contract was formulated under LvG, if he were to resign and Jose expressed his desire to keep him as a first team member, he'd receive more than Lingard.

Squad status, age, previous contract, all relative to existing wage structure (of both this club, and comparable clubs). I'll trust Woodward to make this decision, with obvious input from Jose.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
If it were a standard wage for a squad player then it shows how poorly run we are. Far better teams than us in Europe pay far less for squad players.
That's because the EPL is ahead on wages. QPR had a higher wage bill than Atletico Madrid in the season AM won La Liga. This is what chairmen take into account. The market sets the rate, not some idealized notion of what a player should deserve relative to leagues which are irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.