Lionel Messi - Performances

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Are you guys serious? At least I know Shammy is kidding around, but you two are acting as if he's done something amazing here.

I get the unplanned, off the cuff aspect, but its not anything difficult that he did there. I'm certain 99% of pros and the majority of us lot are able to curl a ball into a full sized goal from a similar starting position. Maybe not first time, but after a few goes.

I'm so pathetic that I'm actually tempted to go down to the park / goals this weekend and do it just to prove someone wrong on the Internet.
He's standing well behind the goals. It's hardly like he's at a similar angle to where the corner flag would be. It's like a basketball player shooting over the backboard. It's impressive. Nobody is saying he's the only guy that can do it or anything but it's impressive nonetheless.

There's some serious salt emerging in here, btw. Love it :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
There's some serious salt emerging in here, btw. Love it :lol:
Jesus, why does everything boil down to bitterness with these things?

Messi's the best in the world, has been for a while and may well be the best to have played the game, certainly up there, but that doesn't mean every single thing he does is worth getting wet over.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Low & behold, even Marca loved it...and spelled out 9 reasons why

1. What Leo Messi and Luis Suárez did was legitimate. It isn't against any rules in the book.
  2. The trick's uncommonness doesn't make it offensive. Rather, it means that Messi showed imagination.
  3. It is in football's best interests to embrace creativity wherever possible. That's how it has become the most popular spectacle of our age. If only the conventional were allowed, football would be more boring and less compelling.
  4. The incident represents a triumph of the unexpected, Transforming a run-of-the-mill Sunday into an unforgettable one. In the future, people will be saying, "I was there".
  5. It is ludicrous to celebrate the spectacular feats that go on in the NBA, courtesy of the likes of Stephen Curry and Michael Jordan, and fakes in the NFL, and not to do so in football.
  6. Football is fundamentally a game and guile is a pivotal part of every game.
  7. It is a trick requiring skill and precision, which should be applauded. Robert Pirès and Thierry Henry made a pig's ear of it for Arsenal against Manchester City.
  8. Football has always been fascinated by the unthinkable, from René Higuita's scorpion kick at Wembley to Guti's politically incorrect back-heel to set up Karim Benzema at the Riazor. They did not settle for doing the reasonable; they went for something magical and accepted the risk that comes with it.
  9. If there is one set of fans who love artistry it is the Celta faithful, who have relished watching their own artful dodgers -Nolito, Fabián Orellana and Iago Aspas- in recent times.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The technique and ball control from Messi, Neymar and Iniesta is just on a different level to most footballers. Amazing to watch.
If only I could play against Messi just to witness what the world's best defenders have witnessed.

IFC 1905

I'll traslate from 0:15

-The worst one of Messi, the worst one....we were loosing like 3-1 or 4-1 at home. He stood in midfield . Totally, literally frozen. I was like 7, 8 meters away from him and thought "he shat his pants" LOL. And I said "well, I'll go". DON'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DONE TOME. I DON'T KNOW. I went home back and my wife asked "what has he done to you?". I DONT KNOW, YOU TELL ME! YOU WATCHED IT ON TV".You know Everyone says he'll cut to the middle....but he didn't.

(After that the journalist says "He went past Mariano, the first back, the second back, and I don't know why he hit the bar")

Pernia: Thank god. I would be everywhere now.

You got one feeling there :D

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea

I'll traslate from 0:15

-The worst one of Messi, the worst one....we were loosing like 3-1 or 4-1 at home. He stood in midfield . Totally, literally frozen. I was like 7, 8 meters away from him and thought "he shat his pants" LOL. And I said "well, I'll go". DON'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DONE TOME. I DON'T KNOW. I went home back and my wife asked "what has he done to you?". I DONT KNOW, YOU TELL ME! YOU WATCHED IT ON TV".You know Everyone says he'll cut to the middle....but he didn't.

(After that the journalist says "He went past Mariano, the first back, the second back, and I don't know why he hit the bar")

Pernia: Thank god. I would be everywhere now.

You got one feeling there :D
What context is this?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
A higher power sent him to us to enjoy. I can't even get mad when he inevitably destorys us.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
In 2016:
17 games
22 goals
9 assists (would have been better if other players took their chances properly).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think he got annoyed that some people were starting to ask if Suarez was better now.

He's off the charts compared to anyone else.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Suarez is not on his level, neither is Neymar. His top level is the best I have seen. Can't comment on Maradone or Cruyff/Best etc.

IFC 1905

It's just that those two have to make something extraordinary or fight to be brillant.

Messi just does it so effortlessly it's mindblowing

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I think he got annoyed that some people were starting to ask if Suarez was better now.

He's off the charts compared to anyone else.
He's provided Suarez with a ton of chances in the last few games, it's Suarez who have been wasting them all.

Cait Sith

Some of his passing today was mental.
He is a real life cheat code.

Messi vs. Eibar:

It doesn't even make sense. Plays like a midfielder majority of the game and creates more chances than anyone else and still casually averages 1 goal per game. Great to see him getting back into form. Took a while after his injury but now he's definitely back.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
He's starting to enjoy himself, looks like he's fully fit now. No better sight in world football..Now time to get Suarez a rest for a match. Will get his sharpness back.

RedStarUnited

The off the ball running of those Barcelona players is great too. But its easier to be eager to make runs when you know Messi is on the ball.

Eddy_JukeZ

Looked explosive today coupled with his usual sensational passing. I think he's fully fit again. He is in a league of his own.

Theonas

Scout
I honestly can't understand how he even gets compared to Suarez, Neymar or Ronaldo. He very clearly exists on his own when he is at his best.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
To be renamed the Leo lob?

Funny how he is becoming more maradona like in recent years, just with added goals on top. The ball hooked over the defence with just the right amount of top spin was perfected by him.

I think Messi is not quite at his level on that just yet. He could curl a incredible amount of top spin in it and his ability to volley those kind of passes was and is unmatched by anyone.