Lionel Messi

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
even that game he was the best player on the pitch. scholes will have had nightmares if he never scored. you could feel the anxiety of the crowd when he starting dribbling at lightening speed.

One of the most I was the most nervous watching for real. I still remember so vividly how that midget used to scare me

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wow Argentina were truly dire tonight....don't think this new young defence is up to much as Venezuela's pace on the counter was really exposing them.

Think it's a mistake Messi has come back to this. Of course he's desperate to win a title with them but they've had the chances and it just hasn't happened.

No doubt he'll get all the blame when they crash out in quarters of Copa America.

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Messi is really running out of excuses if he doesn't win the Copa this year.
Why? This Argentina team are the 2nd worst in Conmebol. Both on paper and on the pitch. Most of their players wouldn't start for England's C team.

Hoof the ball

Messi is really running out of excuses if he doesn't win the Copa this year.
Why? if the national team is a continuously underperforming group of players as a collective whole, why is Messi required a reasonable excuse at all other than the obvious one, namely, football requires a team to collectively play well.

Scolari had it right when he said that it's incumbent that Argentina players all raise their game to meet Messi. He understands that it's not Messi's job to make other players pull their weight.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Why is Aguero not being called up? I can understand trying to cull the failed golden generation but Kun actually wasn't that bad in the WC considering he didn't start all the games.

When you see a mug like Benedetto upfront and also some MLS player I really don't understand what's going on.

izec

Neither the manager nor the team are good enough. Cant believe Scaloni is still their manager. Foyth is starting for them in defense and a a chap from Defensa y Justicia, a team the majority on here never heard of nevermind the player :lol:

Messi should retire from the NT, half of the team are a bunch of amateurs to what he/we are used to. The manager and FA of course too.

Last edited:

Aloysius's Back 3

Messi is highlighted because he only performs for Barcelona.

His best goals come mostly in the La liga.

The guy is a standard good player at international level & hardly requires defenders to keep him quiet.

Put him at Barca & he is at home again.

Schneckerl

Why? This Argentina team are the 2nd worst in Conmebol. Both on paper and on the pitch. Most of their players wouldn't start for England's C team.
The starting XI featured players from top teams like Inter, Ajax, Sevilla, PSG, River Plate, Spurs.... the supposed best footballer ever should be able to work with this terrific set of teammates

IFC 1905

The starting XI featured players from top teams like Inter, Ajax, Sevilla, PSG, River Plate, Spurs.... the supposed best footballer ever should be able to work with this terrific set of teammates

Actual fooball is not like FIFA dude, most of these guys are playing with Messi for the first time, and actually we don't even have decent coach.

Actually Messi had a good game, but if guys like P. Martinez, Benedetto, Blanco miss their passes and the defenders can't even stop a taxi, there's nothing Messi can do.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Foyth ain't ready yet, gave away another penalty and looks dodgy to me when players run at him. Mercado is 32, solid defender but not for the long term e.g. next World cup. Argentine league players getting slaughtered on one of the Argentine websites. It's a level below europe as we saw with some like Meza in the World cup.

Short term they need to bring back Aguero,Banega, Otamendi and Di Maria for Copa otherwise they're going to be massively embarrased in that competition. Also find a way to get Dybala into the 11 when Messi is around.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
What a moronic response

If you actually watched the match you’d see Messi was the best player for Argentina today by miles. What more do you expect him to do when he does this:

Instead of spewing out crap, actually watch the game. It’s a team featuring 9 players Messi has never played with before and he created tons of chances the team couldn’t finish.

Blaming Messi for an Argentina team featuring a completely different lineup is idiotic

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Why is Aguero not being called up? I can understand trying to cull the failed golden generation but Kun actually wasn't that bad in the WC considering he didn't start all the games.

When you see a mug like Benedetto upfront and also some MLS player I really don't understand what's going on.
Aguero fought with the current coach who was the assistant coach at the last World Cup so there’s a stupid rift there.

The AFA is a mess.

I imagine 2/3 of this lineup will different when the copa rolls around as they are experimenting a lot with the youth to see who can bring what to the table

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Messi is highlighted because he only performs for Barcelona.

His best goals come mostly in the La liga.

The guy is a standard good player at international level & hardly requires defenders to keep him quiet.

Put him at Barca & he is at home again.
Standard things

Juan Foyth, Lisandro Martinez, Gonzalo Martinez, Gonzalo Montiel, Domingo Blanco, Matias Suarez, Kannemann...

90% of the caf wouldn't know which teams those player play for.

Schneckerl

What a moronic response

If you actually watched the match you’d see Messi was the best player for Argentina today by miles. What more do you expect him to do when he does this:

Instead of spewing out crap, actually watch the game. It’s a team featuring 9 players Messi has never played with before and he created tons of chances the team couldn’t finish.

Blaming Messi for an Argentina team featuring a completely different lineup is idiotic
Do you get paid to post that?
I don't need to watch the game to know the mental midget didnt show up.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Standard things

Juan Foyth, Lisandro Martinez, Gonzalo Martinez, Gonzalo Montiel, Domingo Blanco, Matias Suarez, Kannemann...

90% of the caf wouldn't know which teams those player play for.
No goal no impact

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

I saw this and assumed it was Lamela, which I thought was weird since Argentina definitely have better attacking players.

But oh no it's way worse than that. Foyth is a disaster waiting to happen whenever he takes to the pitch. He has ability but he shouldn't be near any starting XI until he irons out his mistakes, let alone any top international side.

Charles Miller

They should never play Paredes and Lo Celso at same time. It could be good for clubs but you dont have time to make it work with the nt and they are not so good at defending.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara

The 5 time Balon d'Or winner, multiple CL winner(two against Man Utd, scoring in both finals) and countless La Liga title winner is a mental midget? :lol:

the_irish123

I mean Argentina gave continuity to Sampaoli's assistant with zero experience as a manager. Why would you give continuity to that mess I cannot understand. He actually started out his cycle conservative, but tonight the madness came out all at once. Sudden change to a back 3, with an improvised full back, Foyth who has 10 professional games and some random player for Defensa Y Justicia. The Venezuelans could have scored 5 goals. And now they hired 85 year old Menotti as sporting director, the guy is probably 30 years behind the modern game..

#00F

Supports
Barca
I think Messi should leave Argentina NT and get over it; he is tarnishing his legacy. Think he is a fool not to realize that.

Having said that, did Messi personally offend you in any way? Stole your lunch or when you were kids or something?

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I can't wait until Messi finally retires from NT football, so Argentina can finally struggle to even classify for the WC in generations to come.

Clueless, ungrateful tarts.

And don't start with that "Argentina struggled to classify for Russia 2018 with Messi" = Sampaoli's NT was a madhouse of incoherence and insecurities. They were in Russia thanks to Messi.

izec

Who the feck are these guys? I have no idea about most of them. Though I don't follow Argentina football at all, but it doesn't look like this team can win even a pillow a fight.

Can''t attach images.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2SPVeZXcAEH1OE.jpg
Most of them are from their league. I follow some games, but even the best players arent good enough for most European top teams. They are standard bottom to mid table La Liga players at best. And the ones who play in Europe and are talented, like Lautaro, Lo Celso, Tagliafico and Paredes are still not good enough to make an impact on the biggest stages. Most of them are just now starting and making their first real steps in Europe.

Foyth played some games for Spurs this season due to injuries to their other CBs, he looked so clumsy and nervous every time he played with mistakes all over the place. When he is starting as your CB, you know you are in trouble. No wonder they conceded 3 goals with a backline of Mercado, Foyth and Martinez. Add to that Scolari isnt good enough to be a manager for them.

As usual, far too unbalanced squad. Good attackers and finally some good midfielders, but their backline is horrendous, worse than before. Scaloni is also not helping with his testing of every player with Argentinian passport and being clueless in general on this level.

Last edited: