Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobski

Did he actually lose any physical duels? I know he slipped on the line for the third but I don't remember it happening despite the commentators saying it was going to happen at any moment for the entire first half.
Winning the duel is part of the issue, the other is the stream of second balls that are created from targeting him, he might win the initial challenge but he is not clearing the ball with authority, teams will see a tactical advantage in doing this.

IFC 1905

------------------DDG-------------------------

Dalot - Maguire - Martinez - Shaw

I don't understand how anyone can say Martinez is the one to get hooked from the lot. It's no logical given the circumstances.

I understand the height issued, but for fecks sake, the first goal De Gea letting the ball get in. The second goal it's a terrible pass by DDG. The third goal Eriksen looses his man and De Gea goes away for the cross and never ever comes back, and then Martinez gets unfortunate as he slips away which can happen even to VVD. The fourth goal honestly it's a good goal with a surprisingly good technique and speed.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
A club already weak on crosses sign a midget CB for defence. Brilliant.

The United

You don’t know for a fact what ETH has asked the club for is the point. What the club do is another story
Well, singing this CB tells you that the club is doing what ETH wants as much as possible. Anyone in CAF can tell you that we don't need a 50M CB like him at this point.

There were stories of how the club wanted to sign Torres instead.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
57 million on him while varane + Bailey + lindalof sits on the bench.

What a complete waste of money.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His ground duels were pretty good if I remember correctly. But playing him in this team is really a disadvantage for us at this moment especially if we want to play highline. Tactically, it is suicidal to play slow CBs if we also want to put FBs too high and no proper defensive midfielder to help out ahead of them.
I think that you are right but to me it's due to a complete lack of synergy.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Poor performance again.

If he was Maguire he would be absolutely roasted by now.

Hopefully he can pull it through, as he is very good on the ball.

twitter thread suggester
He is going to get at least two red cards this season and commit 3 penalties.

The United

I think that you are right but to me it's due to a complete lack of synergy.
That's why it is more mystery for me that ETH played these players in these formations in the first two games unless we had other CBs injured. I would play fitter players first before introducing the new guys gradually IF they are good enough to take over.

Bobski

His attributes suggest he would be an immense midfielder
Possibly but Ten Hag eventually thought he lacked the recovery pace for that role in the Dutch league, that is only going to be more pronouced in the PL.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Varane completely dominated any aerial duels as soon as he came on in the second half. If what I was reading on here is correct and we are going to be playing a high line. Surely it will not work with Martinez playing as a central defender with his height and pace. He could easily be bypassed with a ball over his head. I just can't see this working in the Premiership.

Cloudface

Winning the duel is part of the issue, the other is the stream of second balls that are created from targeting him, he might win the initial challenge but he is not clearing the ball with authority, teams will see a tactical advantage in doing this.
I don't think he was particularly weak in the tackle either. Maybe I am being a bit blind, but I feel this height weakness is going to be the promoted narrative rather than something actually seen.

saik

Whether people like it or not he will be bullied and targeted every game because of his height and physicality. I don't think he is cut out to play CB in the Prem. Move to LB or DM. We will be having the same discussion every game in regards to his height.

Ekeke

Whether people like it or not he will be bullied and targeted every game because of his height and physicality. I don't think he is cut out to play CB in the Prem. Move to LB or DM. We will be having the same discussion every game in regards to his height.
We already had that with Lindelof playing. Theres nothing new

Tony247

Not his fault being in the wrong league. I like him but boy he will be targeted in every game, in every set piece.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Back the manager and buy quality eh!?

Who's fault is this?

He looks out of his depth massively, don't want to dismiss his potential straight away but he needs a very big turn around to make it happen .

Looks lost so far

saik

We already had that with Lindelof playing. Theres nothing new
We went and spent 60m to bring in another guy with the same issues. If Martinez fails it will be on ETH and not the board for me. I feel like he underestimated Prem.

saik

Neville and Redknapp saying that Martinez isn't going to make it at CB
It certainly looks like it and I've said as much. He may well improve but I don't think he will shine at CB in the Prem.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Aside from the 3rd goal, where he made a mistake. He wasn’t the reason we conceded today. Smacks of an agenda going on

Andersons Dietician

Needs taken out of CB position for now and either played in a 3 or put in midfield so he can look at the league a bit more as right now he looks like he might have all his confidence destroyed before he even gets a chance to get going.

GMoore23

Based on Ajax Blind is no stronger and if anything Martinez is the more aggressive stronger competitor. He's just new to the league and settling in. Blind was playing midfield when he was doing that
Blind had severe heart issues. I'd take pre heart problems Blind any day over Martinez. He was a class act.

city-puma

Don’t write him off too quickly. ETH made mistake today in midfield setup so that we have no sufficient tall players to defend set pieces. But, the reason we lost game is purely on DDG. Only the mentally toughest team can overcome the situation like this after two quick giveaways.

lex talionis

His attributes suggest he would be an immense midfielder
I’m thinking the same thing. After today we can forget about Frenkie. Bring in Rabiot and play Martínez in midfield. Eriksen over Bruno but that discussion belongs in another thread.

R'hllor

People acting like he took a spot of someone like Vidic, we have Lindelof who ducks ffs.

Castia

People acting like he took a spot of someone like Vidic, we have Lindelof who ducks ffs.
Varane? I’ll tell you what Lindelof and Varane are much stronger than what we have available on the bench in midfield and attack.

Strelok

Playing a high line with the slowest CB I’ve seen at United and his partner being the shortest CB I’ve ever seen at United? It’s masochism.
The worst part is you must think the short one must have tons of pace to cover for the slow one. He does not.

R'hllor

Varane? I’ll tell you what Lindelof and Varane are much stronger than what we have available on the bench in midfield and attack.
Not gonna lie, i see only red at the moment, didnt register Varene at all, guess thought he was injured.

saik

Even though our midfield was priority this summer I can sort of understand our defence needed work but I don't think Martinez is the profile of player we should target for CB. LB or DM maybe. Arsenal wanted him so that they can play him at LB not at CB.

Maybe I am overstating issues with his physicality but he will be targeted literally every game due to that.

saivet

A section of our fanbase have blinkers on to the extent they are unable to think rationally.

People were mocked for talking about his height when it was clearly going to be an issue. We should open up hos transfer thread just to expose the dumb posts that were making fun of the posters who questioned his fit for the league.
Bonkers really, a completely valid reason for fans to be a bit pessimistic on signing a new CB. I hope he can prove me wrong but to me it seems to have such a short CB you need to be a top side otherwise he'll be targeted.

R'hllor

Even though our midfield was priority this summer I can sort of understand our defence needed work but I don't think Martinez is the profile of player we should target for CB. LB or DM maybe. Arsenal wanted him so that they can play him at LB not at CB.

Maybe I am overstating issues with his physicality but he will be targeted literally every game due to that.
Dunno maybe but didnt we have decent CB partnership between Smalling and Blind, dunno anymore, not in state to remember everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.