Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

abailey123

Absolutely love him! He’s so aggressive, commits his body and immense on the ball.

Varane around town

Absolutely outstanding.

I was at the game and when he clattered Salah in the first minutes you knew that he was up for it.

He was there to cover all the time and in addition to that his distribution was first class.

ddg01

Superb performance but more importantly showed passion and aggression. From the first minute on Salah where he pushed him away after fouling him. That’s more like a united player in a pool derby!

lex talionis

The man didn't come to play a game of football. He came to conquer all he surveyed -- and he did.

Lisandro even stopped us from scoring on ourselves.

CarbonStoolBites

I fecking love this guy, was an absolute colossal today, Vida would’ve been proud.
Never understood all that height drivel that took off from that reactionary over emotional man-child Neville, who by the way wrote De Gea off few months into his debut season.

Lisandro is a true warrior and a baller.

Can we coin the term “Martinez’d” for him as a homage to “Brown’d” when he ends up sending opposition players into the air?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He was fecking fantastic today. Encapsulates everything you want from a Center half of any era.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Absolutely fecking love him already (and to be honest, already did just looking at the way he played the game from highlights before we signed him).

Maybe it'd be best to wheel Maguire out when we come up against Kieffer fecking Moore, but who the feck cares. What a player. :drool:

criticalanalysis

Outstanding!
I hope Bruno bought him a few beers after the game.
That moment at the minute mark was clutch from Martinez. He didn't flinch or turn his back otherwise it would have been a spectacular own goal from Bruno.

He was quick to react and go to the goal line after the first header, which is not a coincidence since he did it in the Brentford game (the one where he dallied/slipped and they scored to make it 3-0). I think he has good instincts in the box defensively.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If he keeps it up it might just usher a new age of midget center back sweepers , I've no doubts that if someone like passarella was playing today he'd still be one of the very best around so cant see why he couldn't be so aswell .

MalaysianRed7

Thing with Martinez is that he was one of our best players against Brighton (penalty for the Welbeck barge was 50/50) and mostly dominant against Brentford, aside from the fact that he came up against a tank in Ben Mee in a direct duel where the bigger man invariably wins. Because of that, I was blinded into thinking that a 5’8 defender really might not be able to play Premier League football, but as the week went by, I realised how ridiculous that school of thought was.

Then last night. Absolutely sensational. He set the tone in the first few seconds by clattering into Salah and giving him a little nudge. If your teammate does that, you inevitably follow his tempo. Proper leadership. Also, funnily enough, this much heralded goal line clearance from Bruno’s volley was also simply as a result of his excellent awareness leading him to do the same thing he did last week when he also the only one clever enough to get back on the line before getting beat by Mee.

I’m very confident with him. He’s a clever, tough player, and I haven’t even mentioned his passing range yet. That helps so much in build up play. Liverpool’s entire attacking plan, be it when they were good or now (:D), starts with Van Dijk spraying long passes out to the full backs or wingers. If Martinez can continue doing likewise for us, our football will become so much quicker and more fluid simply due to how these passes can open up the pitch.

Last edited:

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
What a performance! Really enjoyed seeing his fighting spirit. I still think he can do a job in midfield, running around breaking up play and smashing into people. Love it

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Thing with Martinez is that he was one of our best players against Brighton (penalty for the Welbeck barge was 50/50) and mostly dominant against Brentford, aside from the fact that he came up against a tank in Ben Mee in a direct duel where the bigger man invariably wins. Because of that, I was blinded into thinking that a 5’8 defender really might not be able to play Premier League football, but as the week went by, I realised how ridiculous that school of thought was.

Then last night. Absolutely sensational. He set the tone in the first few seconds by clattering into Salah and giving him a little nudge. If your teammate does that, you inevitably follow his tempo. Proper leadership. Also, funnily enough, this much heralded goal line clearance from Bruno’s volley was also simply as a result of his excellent awareness leading him to do the same thing he did last week when he also the only one clever enough to get back on the line before getting beat by Mee.

I’m very confident with him. He’s a clever, tough player, and I haven’t even mentioned his passing range yet. That helps so much in build up play. Liverpool’s entire attacking plan, be it when they were good or now (:D), starts with Van Dijk spraying long passes out to the full backs or wingers. If Martinez can continue doing likewise for us, our football with become so much quicker and more fluid simply due to how these passes can open up the pitch.
Good spot. Really loved that moment. We've need a warrier figure like him.

And his passing is quality. He makes simple passes our other centre backs wouldn't and would take too many touches instead. Like the pass before the first goal. Nothing special just quick snappy and keeps the move rolling.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

I’m very confident with him. He’s a clever, tough player, and I haven’t even mentioned his passing range yet. That helps so much in build up play. Liverpool’s entire attacking plan, be it when they were good or now (:D), starts with Van Dijk spraying long passes out to the full backs or wingers. If Martinez can continue doing likewise for us, our football with become so much quicker and more fluid simply due to how these passes can open up the pitch.
If only he was another 4-6inches taller. He would be the best in the world.

;)

kumoli

Supports
Ajax
Don't know why people are so obsessed with hight.
Carles Puyol at Barcelona for example was not tallest s well, rest is history. Actually, he was going to be sent off from there but Lvg want it to keep him.

Martinez is just the right defender for MU.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't know why people are so obsessed with hight.
Carles Puyol at Barcelona for example was not tallest s well, rest is history. Actually, he was going to be sent off from there but Lvg want it to keep him.

Martinez is just the right defender for MU.
Agree. Although I thought Timber looked more interesting based on clips, while it's early days, Martinez seems more like the tonic this team needs.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Great to have the left footed CB I always wanted finally at the club.

Wezzaldo

Loved when he shouldered Salah when walking back in the first few minutes. Showed he was ready for a scrap. Love our little shithouse

Real Name

Haha yes, that nudge on Salah was brilliant. Trolling Milner after a challenge behind the goal was great. Tackled him and while they were getting up he slightly stepped on him and touch him on the head. :D
And you're right about his passing, it was sublime.

Kostov

I loved the way he rilled up the opponents. In a way to make them know he is there. He was good, assured and strong, even commanding which was great to see after 3 weeks at the club. Long may it continue.

NoPace

Rewatching the first half, and he really is the perfect fit to play against a false 9. Great anticipation and aggression and tackling. I do think he'd have had more trouble if it was Nunez than Firmino.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agree. Although I thought Timber looked more interesting based on clips, while it's early days, Martinez seems more like the tonic this team needs.
you can see why ETH keeps mentioning his character. Needing a leader and a warrior.

He just plays the game like it matters. We’ve been sorely missing that for a couple of years

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Who knew his height isn't a deal breaker when he isn't forced to take an aerial duel last minute with Ronaldo's direct opponent (which shouldve been picked up by Rashford)?

meamth

Reminded me of Vidic's shithousery.

Like I said earlier in the thread, agile defenders are the most frightening archetype.

Red Rash

Very impressive performance. Loves to get stuck in and it's really great to have a CB who is so comfortable on the ball and is able to play his way out of trouble even when under pressure.

Seems to work a lot better with Varane and they compliment each other very well. He also has good leadership qualities which is something we need in this team and something Casemiro should also bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.