Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I have been watching this guy's full matches both live and replay since his Ajax days to analyze some of his performances and I always think he fits well in ETH's tactics. I've said many many times during July and August in this thread that he will be a protagonist of ETH's United. His passing skills both short and long are excellent level. He can develop in some departments to be an even better player in the future since I don't think this is his best version. He also fulfills something that former United’s backline lacked like aggression, intensity or ball-distribution from the back.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Man of the Match and yet we conceded 2 and could easily have been 3 against Nicosia? Rashford was MotM easily.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No question he's quality on the ball but we're conceding an awful lot of goals.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Man of the Match and yet we conceded 2 and could easily have been 3 against Nicosia? Rashford was MotM easily.
Both goals came from massive individual errors, neither of which were by Martínez.
Rashford is a good shout for motm though.

Irwin99

I wonder if any other club manager would look at his passing range and see him as an ideal DM? I don't think he's too slow, he's physically strong, and he passes the ball like Roy Keane at times, always into the forward's feet and he's always aware of the game around him.

MUnchies

Yes Rashford was good but do you actually watch football with your eyes or you watch stats and match of the day? First and second goal was solely on Malacia and Lindelof if you think other wise then you have a big agenda.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I wonder if any other club manager would look at his passing range and see him as an ideal DM? I don't think he's too slow, he's physically strong, and he passes the ball like Roy Keane at times, always into the forward's feet and he's always aware of the game around him.
Yeah, his passing through the lines this season has been better than all of our central midfielders. Which is a damning indictment of the rest of them but still fecking impressive.

A-man

His passing range was great tonight, but we haven’t really seen that in the PL, and I guess it’s because there is press on the CB in the PL. I think he could fit quite well as DM but doubt we’ll see him in that time anytime soon.

phelans shorts

Erik deemed him too slow for it in the Eredivisie. There’s no chance.

Vergo

He is a stud. I would however limit his time partnering Maguire or Lindelof, as Martinez performs best when he has a steady presence next to him, which allows him to focus on bringing the aggression when defending. It looks a little unstable when he is doing what he does best and then you have Maguire/Lindelof two steps behind which creates gaps.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
His passing range was great tonight, but we haven’t really seen that in the PL, and I guess it’s because there is press on the CB in the PL. I think he could fit quite well as DM but doubt we’ll see him in that time anytime soon.
We have though. He’s passed between the lines brilliantly in the PL. But it’s a completely different ball game playing those passes from defence, with the whole game ahead of you, and trying to do the same thing after receiving a pass on the half turn and needing to instantly have a picture of what was going on behind your back.

Tony Clifton

Still cant help but think we would be better off with him in midfield with his energy, aggression and passing ability.
Same here. Playing him in midfield would involve him more and we definitely need him to be more involved. He's a really good player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Erik deemed him too slow for it in the Eredivisie. There’s no chance.
If Jorginho can play it to a decent level, Martinez definitely can.

It's clear though his passing is just as effective at CB when given space.

The pass into Rashford for Martials goal was something we've lacked for ages.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I too would like to see him in midfield, he's lightyears ahead of everyone else bar Erkisen in passing the ball.

criticalanalysis

We have though. He’s passed between the lines brilliantly in the PL. But it’s a completely different ball game playing those passes from defence, with the whole game ahead of you, and trying to do the same thing after receiving a pass on the half turn and needing to instantly have a picture of what was going on behind your back.
Some people either have an agenda and stick with it or don't watch the games but will come here, passing off ridiculous comments like fact. It's as bad as Lindelof was tonight and that's saying something.

A-man

There have been some passes through the press but not many long balls to the forwards. This kind of pass is also harder in the PL compared to against Omonia who who fought in the relegation battle in the Cypriotic league last season and should be a step down from PL. They didn’t apply any press whatsoever.

Some people either have an agenda and stick with it or don't watch the games but will come here, passing off ridiculous comments like fact. It's as bad as Lindelof was tonight and that's saying something.
How is it a ridiculous comment to say Martinez haven’t had many long range passes in the PL? It is also be backed up by stats, as it is easily measured.

3KDré

Still cant help but think we would be better off with him in midfield with his energy, aggression and passing ability.
He's probably our best defender and organizer at the back. I don't see why we would change that when we've got Casemiro to come in too.

Abraxas

Brilliant passer for a centre back. Cut them apart. He's also shown that quality in the PL but of course PL teams recover a little better.

mu4c_20le

Been awhile since we had a proper hardman, used to love those Brown types where they go through people.

Mr PG

fecking he’ll this guys is good. Rested him against real sociedad .. Eric had to bring him on at half time.. insanely good for a cb. Waits till their forwards commit before passing the ball ….i understand why Ajax is so livid for losing him and Antony

criticalanalysis

How is it a ridiculous comment to say Martinez haven’t had many long range passes in the PL? It is also be backed up by stats, as it is easily measured.
Range doesn't necessarily only mean length but variation too. If you're talking about literal length of passes then sure he hasn't played vertical 20-30 metre passes as much as he did tonight but he 'hasn't really' also implies he's not done it at all or very 'little'. He's been our best passer in this regard from out the back/perhaps in general and if we're looking at opportunity-to-play-the-pass to actual execution no amount of stats can take into account, the pressure, difficulty and variety of it. In raw stats, has he played 4-5 vertical 20-30 metres passes in league games? No but based on opportunity and on the eye test (because there's no stats to show this as above) he's more than shown the range and capability.

This is why using literal stats and watching the game with no context so clinically is such an odd take and comment because the expectation/comparison already has a player on a net negative in one's mind. It's funny, we've been here before. Here is a post I wrote to you, which I don't believe you replied to from a month ago and almost word for word applies in the exact same scenario:

You think these passes happen out of thin air? No context of what kind of team he is playing in?

Let me ask you a simply question, do you think Martinez is categorically underperforming with his passing relative to what's in front of him in terms of midfielders, passing options, runners etc?

So with context, we have Rashford and/or Ronaldo up front, which we have seen means little hold up play or sustained intelligent running behind the opposition lines. Eriksen and McTominay as two midfielders, a new 'partnership', which is not dominating possession and bit of a mishmash stylistically. Bruno being Bruno, both hero ball and 100mph at everything. Elanga and Sancho both offering something and not really. Finally we have David 'I boot it long everytime' De Gea.

If your answer is 'yes I think, based on the options available to Martinez, his passing has not been anything special, I expect more and I think he's shown the same level as Maguire and Lindelof'. Then as you've admitted, you're just a fool with ridiculous expectations based on 'rumours' that you've imagined and heightened in your head. You've put him on a pedestal only to criticise him unfairly with backhanded comments.

Again, if you answer yes, then it is equally your choice to show examples of where you think he could have been better so we can understand your vague expectation, which many people are calling unrealistic.
If the comment and analysis is 'Martinez hasn't really shown the type of passing range he did today as he has in the league', the last sentence to show some proof or 'stat' still remains relevant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.