Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade

He showed signs of this performance the last 2 games but the narrative was too loud it blinded people. Maguire pissing off helps massively. I think the first game Maguire did something silly early on and you could see a shift in Martinez body language. His confidence in his partner was lost.

Last edited:

CM

Great performance and I'm really glad for him too. He was unfairly hammered for what went on at Brentford and played like he had a point to prove.

Zoo

Even walking off the pitch he looks mean and determined.

Just Hope

Great game.

Made some mistakes I wish we won't have to see against better opposition, but ball distribution was on point and he opened up the pitch when we were without options.

Lets just pray Varane remains fit.

Reactions: Cheimoon

eire-red

It's not the performance on It's own, but off the back of what he took after Brentford, and getting hooked at HT.

Shows real mental strength along with all the rest on show. A proper body on the line performance. On the edge, but always looked in control too.

Nick7

It's not the performance on It's own, but off the back of what he took after Brentford, and getting hooked at HT.

Shows real mental strength along with all the rest on show. A proper body on the line performance. On the edge, but always looked in control too.
I was impressed by his reading of the game. Rojo was a similar front foot defender, diving in and being impressive but was never really smart about it. Martinez seemed to always step up at the right time, read the Liverpool forward play well and got stuck in.

DevTheRed

Seems a right b*stard.. I love it :devil:

Something we’ve sorely missed since Vidic left.. we’re far too nice. With him and Casemiro coming in that’ll definitely change.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
He’s genuinely better on the ball than most of our midfielders. So sharp. It’s inevitable he’ll be targeted by teams with target men up top. But hardly any teams in the PL play that way any more so who cares? He’s got the attitude we desperately needed in this team.
That first time pass down the left wing in the build up to our first goal was low-key gorgeous. Just a brilliant performance overall. MOTM for me.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
That first time pass down the left wing in the build up to our first goal was low-key gorgeous. Just a brilliant performance overall. MOTM for me.
Yeah he loves those early balls! So easy to take for granted, you kind of expect centre backs to just slow it down before moving it on, he’s looking for the pass before he’s even won the ball back! I get why he makes people nervous but I’m loving the direction he signals. Proactive football with no fuss. Sweet.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
MOTM for me. Exactly the kind of thing we've been missing for ages. Aggression with a bit of control and game intelligence thrown in.

Even silly little things like him and Varane conveniently both getting cramp just when we needed to slow down and break up the game.

Also the first game in feck knows how long where just putting us unfer pressure wasn't a guarantee of our defence handing out chances to score

eire-red

I was impressed by his reading of the game. Rojo was a similar front foot defender, diving in and being impressive but was never really smart about it. Martinez seemed to always step up at the right time, read the Liverpool forward play well and got stuck in.
Yeah, he's seems a lot more level headed and street smart, and has the ability on the ball that Rojo never had. So he can actually distribute when recovering possession.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s a class act. He’s been good in both previous games despite the narrative and sky were clearly reluctant to acknowledge his performance tonight. He reads the game well is aggressive and quality on the ball. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him win our player of the year award.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Yeah he loves those early balls! So easy to take for granted, you kind of expect centre backs to just slow it down before moving it on, he’s looking for the pass before he’s even won the ball back! I get why he makes people nervous but I’m loving the direction he signals. Proactive football with no fuss. Sweet.
Aye, I think its fair to assume that any of our other recent CBs would have took a touch there, and probably passed it infield to the other CB. It's exciting to have a real ball player in there now.

Alemar

Excellent performance, although he also should thank de Gea: it would be a disaster to score an own goal in this game with this performance, but David made a good save.

With an attitude Martinez is showing, Maguire is bound to be benched (or maybe even kept of the match day squad when Lindelof is fit). MotM performance today

Longshanks

Excellent tonight, but not overly surprised game suited him. His test and realitive weakness will be exploited by teams with big physical strikers who like playing long.

But thats for another day, outstanding tonight really set the aggressive intense tone that we needed.

Holocene

One touch passing from the centre backs, love to see it. It instantly creates a sense of urgency in our play.

kundalini

Very impressive apart from when he almost scored a crazy own goal from a cross, that required De Gea to make a super save.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I think Martinez is a great player, I have no doubts about him. He will thrive in a few months people are quick to kneejerk especially pundits.
Pretty much this, technically great, composed. His height is people bandwagoning he will be a key player for united.

Dutch league boys have been our best players.

klayton88

Let's assume Gomez isn't an idiot and starts for Liverpool tonight. He gets targeted with long balls/set pieces

Fabio Rochemback

Sky didn't really seem to make much of the clever first-time pass in the build up to our first goal. He's been brought in for that sort of thing just as much as his defensive work, if he can do that regularly it'll be well worth it, even if he does sometimes lose aerial duels that a 6'2" CB wouldn't... you know full well which of the two scenarios will be highlighted by pundits though!

Great goal line clearance too :wenger:

Chief123

That ball in the build up to the first goal. So so good.
This! It’s things like this that go unnoticed. But he fired it in quick and crisp. These are the vital moments which allow the forward to get a yard on the defender. It allowed Elanga to do a quick one two.

His passing is going to be a huge asset.

Chief123

He was absolutely immense today. He is obviously a very good player. Calm on the ball, aggressive as feck in his defending. Interested to see how he will play against City and Haaland. Those absolute physical monsters are what I'm worried about.
To be fair players like Haaland would cause problems to any defender including the likes of VVD.

Phil Osophy

I was going to write something similar after watching the highlights video. The man looks like a mixture of Rojo and Daley Blind. He has that tenacity but also the composure to decide, and the ability to distribute from the back. I find his profile really interesting.

VivaRonaldo85

Outstanding. Aggression, agility, pace, passing, nastiness, game reading. Basically everything we’ve been missing. Him and Varane have great potential as a pair if we can keep them both fit

Dominos

Excellent tonight.

Definitely his sort of game, no physical or aerial threat on the pitch from Liverpool other than VVD on set pieces.

Chief123

He’s one player I’m going to look forward to seeing in the World Cup if he starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.