Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It's incredible how true that is, he operates on a level so different from any other player we have in the squad.
Every Player performance thread has these hyperbolic statements after a good performance. I agree Martinez has probably been our most consistent performer so far this season and I'd say overall the best but these over the top claims makes it hard to take some posts seriously.

We've had good performers this season in the likes of Casemiro who has also been consistent since his integration to the starting line up then you have Varane, Dalot who have performed well. There isn't anyone performing on any different level from everyone else. Statements like these are a disservices to other good performers.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I've never seen such a mismatch aerially than tonight.

A 6'5 striker, a 5'9 defender.... and Martinez didn't lose a header :lol: ridiculous.

He is so so good. Really unlucky with the yellow.

Add to being a great defender, his passing is absolutely elite.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Areas where his numbers are top 10 in the league

Is that a good thing? Obviously he is completing these things but look at the list of teams in blocks and clearances. Nothing elite there. You don't want your centre backs working that hard. If they are, you're doing something wrong.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sooooooo. He misses our next European game after getting a yellow card for being nearly killed by a reckless challenge by a Sociedad player. Having previously had a penalty awarded against him in one of the worst decisions ever. A penalty that cost us first place in the table. Referees in the Europa this season. Honest to God…
It’s actually really infuriating, I’m still pissed about it.

Ekeke

Is that a good thing? Obviously he is completing these things but look at the list of teams in blocks and clearances. Nothing elite there. You don't want your centre backs working that hard. If they are, you're doing something wrong.
I think you'd have a point if he was a top of all these things. Really it just shows his consistent level across a variety of areas you'd want from an aggressive defender. He likes to make challenges so he's going to make more challenges than our other CBs. He'll take the initiative and go for a ball that could 50/50 or even 40/60 be suited to the other CBs position and take care of it. Because he enjoys defending and he'll love that he's in lists like these.

Casemiro is another example. Apparently he's checking his ball winning stats after each match to make sure they're looking good.

Theres plenty of players who will appear in one stat or list, and not be present in others. Thats why its important to look at a range of stats and not just cherry pick a single one. And Lisandro appears in a bunch of the lists for defending across all players in the premier league (not just other CBs) so that shows his work ethic and we know he hasnt made many bad mistakes despite all of this defensive action

Edit -

Dalot and Cancelo are both joint 9th for the most tackles made in the league this season with 20 each. So despite City dominating teams and being a distance ahead of us, they can still have players who will do plenty of defending. I'm not sure its concerning for City, more of a good thing that they know Cancelo will get stuck in and make tackles and isnt just a luxury offensive player.

There's also Arsenal players on these lists and they're top of the league so...

Also Vidic used to be high on the clearances and aerials stats, despite being next to Rio and us considering them the best defensive pair in the world. So yeah

Last edited:

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Sooooooo. He misses our next European game after getting a yellow card for being nearly killed by a reckless challenge by a Sociedad player. Having previously had a penalty awarded against him in one of the worst decisions ever. A penalty that cost us first place in the table. Referees in the Europa this season. Honest to God…
Just to add that I think he actually got booked for the handball in that worst award of a penalty of all time too

JustinC00

Funny how his last 2 yellows were terrible ref decisions against a Spanish side. If that was a club from France or Germany the cards never happen.

Can't change my mind that UEFA assigns refs that are clued in on how to call it for Spanish sides.

Nordmore

I was like :eek::confused::houllier: and still have no idea why he got a yellow.

Tony247

This guy is immense. Unbelievable defender. Low centre of gravity makes him even more lethal.

And what the feck about that yellow card?? ^#<~£*^ can't get over it.

Chief123

It’s frightening to think he nearly ended up at Arsenal. That would have burnt badly.

Marcus

Started out the butt of short jokes. Who knew he would actually be a colossus on the field? His former boss.

Anustart89

Not wanting to derail the thread but there were loads of pundits saying it probably wasn’t a pen. It definitely wouldn’t have been a pen under the laws in previous seasons either. It wasn’t “clear”.
Pundits don't know the laws of the game though because their analysis never extends further than "In my day that's not a pen" and "I don't understand what's a handball/foul/red card these days!!". They had just changed the rule to say that an unnatural silhouette means it's a penalty and turning 180 degrees, and defending a shot in a reverse SIUUU movement is not a natural silhouette or a natural way to defend a shot, so if you're following the laws of the game as they were written at the time of the incident there's absolutely nothing wrong with the pen, and it's definitely not dodgy by any definition just because some moron pundits said they're unsure about it.

Anustart89

Martinez is so good that he's been totally vindicated in his player preferences for me. Can we just trust EtH to know a good player when he sees one and not act like stuck-up idiots because we don't like one of his transfer targets? If he wants Timber next to him then fecking go for it!

Dan_F

Pundits don't know the laws of the game though because their analysis never extends further than "In my day that's not a pen" and "I don't understand what's a handball/foul/red card these days!!". They had just changed the rule to say that an unnatural silhouette means it's a penalty and turning 180 degrees, and defending a shot in a reverse SIUUU movement is not a natural silhouette or a natural way to defend a shot, so if you're following the laws of the game as they were written at the time of the incident there's absolutely nothing wrong with the pen, and it's definitely not dodgy by any definition just because some moron pundits said they're unsure about it.
I did put in my previous post that it wouldn’t have been a pen in previous seasons. I’m well aware the rule changed that season.

Im still of the opinion it’s harsh after watching it back now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Started out the butt of short jokes. Who knew he would actually be a colossus on the field? His former boss.
It's almost like they poked the bear and now every performance he's out there making them eat their words.

Neville and Carragher must be pretty confused watching him. I can see why he had such good aerial stats in the Eredivisie now.

Timing, leap and aggression beats height every time.

Godfather

How the feck did he get a yellow card for that challenge on him? The refs in the PL and in Europe are getting worse by the year.

Real Name

Still dont have a clue what was the yellow about. Do we have a video?
Guy landed on him and he then got a yellow. Bizarre.

Dan_F

How though? His arm was massively outstretched away from his body and there was a huge distance between him and where the shot was taken from. Clear as day in my opinion.
His right arm is almost vertical when the ball hits it. I don’t see it as outstretched at point of impact at all.

I don’t like the handball rule at all, so maybe I’m biased. The fact that defenders are forced to defend 1v1 with their hands behind their back is insane.

Aston Villa 3:1 Man Utd

Ram1fy

He was bound to have a couple of bad moments, but what a player! Although, someone needs to talk to him about that elbow, wasn't needed.

JeffFromHK

his worst performance on united shirt, the 2nd goal and 3rd goals both from his loss of possession.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
If we had another defender like him to partner him we'll be far better off.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Comfortably his worst game for us so far. Oh well, it happens.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Had to do his job and that of Lindelof with a very quick attack. Was always going to be too much of an ask.
Lindelof cost us that goal and showed how soft as shit we are with allowing Watkins to pull away and pretty much leave a gaping hole. Villa started quick and we just watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.