Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Lentwood

comparing martinez to maguire
Go to bed now mate you’re having a mare
Its not about comparing, its just funny how when this forum likes a player, an excuse is a reason, and when they don't, a reason is an excuse.

I've said time and time again I like Martinez, but he's been rubbish this season and I'm not convinced about the Martinez/Varane partnership. I feel he needs genuine pace and power next to him. He'd still be the first name on the teamsheet for me at CB but he's not beyond criticism

SirScholes

Its not about comparing, its just funny how when this forum likes a player, an excuse is a reason, and when they don't, a reason is an excuse.

I've said time and time again I like Martinez, but he's been rubbish this season and I'm not convinced about the Martinez/Varane partnership. I feel he needs genuine pace and power next to him. He'd still be the first name on the teamsheet for me at CB but he's not beyond criticism
He’s been rubbish this season hahaha

he was fine today, and it’s game two, seriously mate leave it be

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This place...
He was fine today, obviously screwed up his clearance for the of but I think Davies got a slight touch so it's not the worst thing to happen.

Shaw's performances at CB seem to be getting overrated massively, he's also been caught out so many times positionally in the 1st 2 games.

Oranges038

Was he bad today? Even the OG I don't see how you can let the ball run there, you gotta do something.
He was fine, he did some great work covering up for Shaw in the first half. I liked the bit where he left two spurs players sprawled in the box. He didn't do a whole pile wrong.

On the og, he was wrong sided because he doesn't expect Dalot to get megged on a cross, then tries to swipe at it and just misses it and goes in. Shit happens, but that goal started on the half way line with a shite attempt at pressing the ball.

DarkXaero

He was fine, he did some great work covering up for Shaw in the first half. I liked the bit where he left two spurs players sprawled in the box. He didn't do a whole pile wrong.

On the og, he was wrong sided because he doesn't expect Dalot to get megged on a cross, then tries to swipe at it and just misses it and goes in. Shit happens, but that goal started on the half way line with a shite attempt at pressing the ball.
In fairness, like someone else here pointed out, Davies does get a touch on the ball, which likely threw Martinez off.

Lentwood

you can give an opinion but Christ you can’t just make stuff up
He's slow and he's not physically dominant. That's not made up. I'd say both are objectively true.

As I say, you're making out like I'm some kind of big Martinez critic - I'm not really, he's our best CB - but I feel it's right to criticise his start to the season and I feel its right to question his partnership with Varane.

BlahRules

I think Todibo would've played well with him.

SirScholes

He's slow and he's not physically dominant. That's not made up. I'd say both are objectively true.

As I say, you're making out like I'm some kind of big Martinez critic - I'm not really, he's our best CB - but I feel it's right to criticise his start to the season and I feel its right to question his partnership with Varane.
It’s right if they were at fault today. And they weren’t

Lentwood

It’s right if they were at fault today. And they weren’t
I don't care about the two goals specifically, we kept a clean sheet against Wolves on Monday - I still though he was poor. His problem is when spaces open up and he's exposed. He really is very, very slow - so he has to be in a compact unit and on the front foot to be effective.

criticalanalysis

I don't care about the two goals specifically, we kept a clean sheet against Wolves on Monday - I still though he was poor. His problem is when spaces open up and he's exposed. He really is very, very slow - so he has to be in a compact unit and on the front foot to be effective.
You've ignored my two posts. In the Wolves game, that's fair but in today's? Care to highlight some examples?

I wouldn't consider him fast but he's not slow.

Revan

Assumptionman
He has not looked the same since his injury last season.
Nah, just the honeymoon is over and he gets judged on merit, instead of getting overrated like most signings do.

The weaknesses were always there: 50% aerial duel win rate, slow, easy to dribble. Of course he has many good things: decent positioning, fighter spirit and awesome passing. But he is definitely not a total package, and the laughable ‘world class’s ‘best CB in the league’ he got attributed from Caf last season were, well, typical of Caf.

TsuWave

Messed up the clearance but didn't think he was bad - I don't ever think he's bad - his floor is that high

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
People highlighted the lack of midfield protection for Lindelof and Maguire, yet they weren't allowed to use that excuse
The lack of midfield protection didn’t make Maguire and Lindelof play badly as individuals. And I don’t know why you mention Lindelof. His individual performances were fine last season. Martinez was poor against Wolves but ok today. That’s what you discuss in performance thread. Individual performances. Not weird conspiracies about other players who apparently aren’t responsible for their own performance level.

OldTrevil

His game was alright, apart from that wild swing for an own goal but that can happen to the best of players.

jesperjaap

Completely disagree regarding his performances this season. Feels to me judged on a terrible foulo for the ebooking and mistake or unfortunate moment today.

He has been good on the ball both games and today if it wasnt for him we woul dhave conceded a few goals in the first half. The number of times e covered for Shaw bei gcaught out of position or not trackign runners was ridiculous. One of Shaws wort games in a United shirt for some tiem both defensively and offensively.....yet Bissaka I see gettign vriticised for not trackig nrunners when he has arguably been our best player so far this season?

I think the partnership is a good one, the only concern I do have is though neither are slow, there isnt super pace in either of them...but he has been rubbish this season I just have to say for me is a big statement and also an absurd one

Blood Mage

Doesn't look to have bounced back from his injury at all yet. A shadow of the player he was last season.

Chief123

People highlighted the lack of midfield protection for Lindelof and Maguire, yet they weren't allowed to use that excuse
You have this weird obsession of trying to bring Martinez down to Maguire’s level. It’s amazing that even at this point you’re struggling to accept Maguire is shite. It’s got nothing to do with protection. Maguire isn’t and never was good enough. Martinez can have 10 bad games in a row and he’ll still be miles better than Maguire.

gregwar

Two league matches in after a long lay off. Not great, but no concerns yet.

A-man

He’s not fast but wouldn’t say he’s extremely slow either, it is more that he is unaware of the space behind him. He likes to push and attack the player in front of him rather than keep track of runners behind him. We saw this last season as well.

Lentwood

You have this weird obsession of trying to bring Martinez down to Maguire’s level. It’s amazing that even at this point you’re struggling to accept Maguire is shite. It’s got nothing to do with protection. Maguire isn’t and never was good enough. Martinez can have 10 bad games in a row and he’ll still be miles better than Maguire.
I think your last sentence is everything I am highlighting with my criticism of Martinez.

The fact that he is not Maguire (or to a lesser extent Lindelof) means he can do no wrong in the eyes of United fans. Your post makes it clear that you're not judging him on performances, you've just decided that because he's not Maguire, you're going to back him to the hilt.

All I am asking for is objectivity. At times last season he was very good...but there were also games like City away and Anfield away were I feel that were he not riding this wave of goodwill from the fans, serious questions would have been asked.

For the record, I have already said several times above that I think he is our best CB, but I'm not convinced that Varane is the right partner. I feel Martinez needs a real powerhouse beside him. Someone with pace and strength like prime Ferdinand, Ramos or van Dijk.

The way we want to play this season is going to leave us exposed at times. I worry there's not enough pace between Casemiro, Martinez and Varane to plug the gaps.

ScholesyTheWise

Oh come on, he's a very very good CB. Started the season badly, this much is clear.
But to start comparing him to dross like Maguire or Lindelof... nah.

I don't know whether he's fully fit,

But I suspect that as a team we're going to have a very wobbly start to the season and a number of players who are generally good enough won't look like it, and they'll get blamed for being shit and needing upgrading upon. Martinez, Casemiro, Shaw, Rashford...

They all have their faults, but they're the least of our problems.

Man-United

Time for Lindelof-Varane partnership imo, he was useless yesterday and had a very poor start to the season.

Dan_F

Exposed by Shaw multiple times yesterday. I’m not really sure he did much wrong until the own goal, certainly wasn’t as bad as the Wolves game.

Bobski

Putting him in just off a serious injury was always going to lead to something of a regression. I wouldn't be dropping him for Lindelof, we know what Lindelof has and it isn't enough, have to let Lisandro work his way through this period.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Thought he was poor again and a different ref could have given the pen, got a big decision in his favour. Needs to sharpen up asap, otherwise can see Lindelof replacing him.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The lack of midfield protection didn’t make Maguire and Lindelof play badly as individuals. And I don’t know why you mention Lindelof. His individual performances were fine last season. Martinez was poor against Wolves but ok today. That’s what you discuss in performance thread. Individual performances. Not weird conspiracies about other players who apparently aren’t responsible for their own performance level.
Eh…you were in Bruno’s blaming Casemiro on Monday.

Dannn411

Exposed by Shaw multiple times yesterday. I’m not really sure he did much wrong until the own goal, certainly wasn’t as bad as the Wolves game.
This. Shaw and Casemiro and Mount left him and Varane badly exposed for 80% of the game yesterday. And I still maintain he is a defensive midfielder and not a CB. I will die on that hill. He just plays CB because he has good physicality but that size, and lack of speed to cover ground quickly will always expose us to vulnerabilities at CB and shows me he should be playing DM instead. At DM he wouldn't need to cover as much ground and his passing and tempo control abilities would be put to so much better use.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Ridiculous comments in here…Maguire is very very slow. Martinez isn’t. Rewatch the first half of the game and watch the amount of times he saved our arse covering for Shaw. He’s a class act. Needs to get up to speed but the same will be true for many players in the league…nevermind almost all our players.

criticalanalysis

I think your last sentence is everything I am highlighting with my criticism of Martinez.

The fact that he is not Maguire (or to a lesser extent Lindelof) means he can do no wrong in the eyes of United fans. Your post makes it clear that you're not judging him on performances, you've just decided that because he's not Maguire, you're going to back him to the hilt.

All I am asking for is objectivity. At times last season he was very good...but there were also games like City away and Anfield away were I feel that were he not riding this wave of goodwill from the fans, serious questions would have been asked.

For the record, I have already said several times above that I think he is our best CB, but I'm not convinced that Varane is the right partner. I feel Martinez needs a real powerhouse beside him. Someone with pace and strength like prime Ferdinand, Ramos or van Dijk.

The way we want to play this season is going to leave us exposed at times. I worry there's not enough pace between Casemiro, Martinez and Varane to plug the gaps.
I quoted you a third time for some examples in the Spurs game and you still can't explain exactly where he played poorly. Yet here you are asking for objectivity as if anything else is somehow bias. You've said several times now that he was poor in the thrashings last season like he was the sole or major reason (clue: he wasn't) and that he couldn't displace a City centre back has been for Argentina. Seems like you've got this idea fixed in your head and are ignoring the reality. Don't take my word for it, look at the other posts. Pretty 50/50.

I think both Varane and Martinez have their cons but as a pair, they are more than good enough. It's the players in front of them and the tactics from ETH that is the major issue atm. If you're expecting those two to be some giant defensive wall and to block out all opponent attacks, then you're wishing for the impossible; teams defend and attack as a team now. Yes a prime Rio and Vidic would be better but the underlying issues still exist and they would also be exposed.