View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

SER19

disaster. everything about him is what we need in a player- but if you cant stay fit forget it.

spiriticon

Is this guy serious? Injured?

Get the F out seriously. Phil Jones is probably more reliable.

Lu Tze

I wonder what they've looked into behind the scenes about our injuries. The ground composition of the pitches at Carrington, the medical/fitness staff, the equipment available. There must be quite the inquisition going on.

Telsim

Doesn't really matter how good you are if you are not available. Don't bother playing him until next season, so he can fully recover. But it's becoming clear he can't be relied upon.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What's your take on this stuff? The medical staff or something else?
A combination of over-training/training regime intensity and what appears to be an archaic medical staff (i.e. man's game, play through the pain, etc).

Probably not helped by a lack of depth in certain areas, either.

That said each player should be judged on a case by case basis but the number of muscle injuries across the squad this season suggests the first part to me (training and medical staff).

RORY65

His reputation has somewhat grown to the point that I think he's become a bit overrated while he's been out but there's no doubt that at his best he's clearly better than the other options for that role. Every time he has played in the last year though he hasn't looked right, either just because he's rusty or because he's been brought back from injury too soon, in a way I'd rather we just focus on getting him right for next season rather than trying to bring him back again because we don't need him looking miles off the pace (his cameo at the weekend was really poor).

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
He doesn't have a history of injuries.

On the other hand we have a history of being run by idiots.

Footyislife

EPL is the most physical league on the planet. This is why you don't overpay for players in less intense leagues. And especially why you get a proper football structure so you don't play the player every week and not let them transition to adapt to the league. Heck we all do it when we play football manager.

It's squarely because we have no pedigree at DOF level and only have a manager who has no idea how to build sustainable squad but plays his best players no matter the long term impact as if he doesn't he won't be here anyways.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
A combination of over-training/training regime intensity and what appears to be an archaic medical staff (i.e. man's game, play through the pain, etc).

That said each player should be judged on a case by case basis but the number of muscle injuries across the squad this season suggests the first part to me (training and medical staff).
Cheers. 'Luck' does not appear to be a factor by now; you can set your watch by the frequency of our injuries.

Zoo

Can’t wait to rush him back and see him get injured at the start of May.

Delano

Why can't we have anything nice? Write him off for the season and see him breakdown in the Copa America... Its ridiculous now.

Telsim

Assuming Ten Hag hasn't significantly altered the regime intensity from his time at Ajax, Martinez should be one of the players that is more used to it. That doesn't make him immune to it, of course, but you get the point. And besides, injury crises are not new to us, which gives more credence to your point about the state of the medical department. I think it's becoming more and more obvious we are very far behind the curve in that aspect. Which is something else that's not new.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
ETH likes very intense training. Perhaps he needs to dial it down after Christmas.

wolvored

When I mentioned him being injury prone here at the start of his last layoff, some called me out for it, but its becoming obvious that we cant rely on him and should seriously be trying to move him on before he becomes a weight around our neck like Jones was. A good player yes, but if he can only play a few games a season, whats the point?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
When I mentioned him being injury prone here at the start of his last layoff, some called me out for it, but its becoming obvious that we cant rely on him and should seriously be trying to move him on before he becomes a weight around our neck like Jones was. A good player yes, but if he can only play a few games a season, whats the point?
His injury record suggests he isn’t injury prone

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Funny I thought anyone who keeps getting injured regularly is injury prone.
He wasn't before. Most players aren't until we get our hands on them. There is something really wrong with this club. The injuries haven't just materialised this season. Just let him get fit and stop trying to rush him back.

wolvored

He wasn't before. Most players aren't until we get our hands on them. There is something really wrong with this club. The injuries haven't just materialised this season. Just let him get fit and stop trying to rush him back.
I'm on about here at Utd. I never followed him before so wouldnt know, but at Utd he has had loads of time out.

Steve Bruce

ETH likes very intense training. Perhaps he needs to dial it down after Christmas.
Do you think Liverpool, arsenal, city etc dial down their intensity in training?

You listen to Keane, neville etc and they trained every day with the intensity of a competitive match.

I think this 'training too hard' is a cop out and a sorry excuse for our players not to put in the effort and the injuries situation, we've had bad injuries hit seasons under sir alex.

The medical/physio department needs overhauled

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Assuming Ten Hag hasn't significantly altered the regime intensity from his time at Ajax, Martinez should be one of the players that is more used to it
EPL is totally different level to Dutch League. But he was completely fine last year, until we started rushing him back from injuries this year.

Resonance

He had 12 games missed since he started his professional career, for both club and country. He has now missed 44 games for United and counting. I wouldn't say the problem is with him.
Exactly, people are quick to label players as injury prone but ignore the system of incompetence and neglect which is clearly behind our ridiculous list of injuries.

Irwin99

He looked really off the pace in the early season, came back and looked like the Martinez of old, got injured in a freak accident and it seems we rushed him back again.

Him and Shaw have played a combined total of 25 games this season :mad:. This season is fecked.

wolvored

The first one was unfortunate, then I think we rushed him back, then Coufal did for him, then maybe again we have rushed him back.
Yes I'm not going on the actual injuries, just the fact that he cant stay fit/uninjured. Not his fault, same as Jones, but he seems as jinxed as him.