Liverpool 2020-21

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Minamino is never making it here. He's the physically easiest to dominate player I've ever seen in a red shirt.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Fabinho has signed a new contract. Seems like the club is more focused on renewing contracts of key players at the moment.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
We've just signed the best defensive midfielder in the world?!! :eek: What a summer! :D

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
We've just signed the best defensive midfielder in the world?!! :eek: What a summer! :D
What's that?

Now we've signed the best keeper in the world on a six year contract? Feck me I'm going to faint. :eek: :drool:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure about the Konate signing - his injury record for the last 2 years is terrible.
If they don't add at least 1 first choice box-box midfielder and 1 good backup striker, I can see them falling outside top-4 this season.
I don't know why but to me this season feels like Klopp's last season at Dortmund. No rational but my gut feeling.
As of today
1. City
2. United
3. Chelsea
4. Overperformer
On paper they're getting left behind this window

City - Kane and Grealish
Utd - Sancho and Varane
Chelsea - Lukaku

They've still got a squad that won the title and UCL a couple of years ago though and a good manager so will be interesting to see how far that takes them. I still feel last seasons top 4 will be the one this season as well, those 4 teams are just a cut above the rest

Irwin99

Are they not even linked to any more transfers this summer? Having their top centre backs available again will be a huge boost but I get the feeling they were becoming a bit stagnant in other areas of the pitch last year. Top 4 should be easy for them though (injuries permitting).

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
On paper they're getting left behind this window

City - Kane and Grealish
Utd - Sancho and Varane
Chelsea - Lukaku
Only if winning the league is determined by who had the best transfer window. I preferred the Utd team that signed a young Di Maria. Now that was a coup.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Only if winning the league is determined by who had the best transfer window. I preferred the Utd team that signed a young Di Maria. Now that was a coup.
I mean you even highlighted the line where I said on paper and yet you still seem to have ignored it :confused:

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I mean you even highlighted the line where I said on paper and yet you still seem to have ignored it :confused:
You're further diminishing the point of even having bothered to post that at all then. Stand by your convictions.

Giggsy13

You need a midfielder to replace Wijnaldum and another attacker to rotate with your front 3. You’re right in that the title isn’t won in the transfer window, but 3 of your biggest rivals are adding genuinely world class players in positions of need.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
You need a midfielder to replace Wijnaldum and another attacker to rotate with your front 3. You’re right in that the title isn’t won in the transfer window, but 3 of your biggest rivals are adding genuinely world class players in positions of need.
New world class players take a season to fit in to a new way of playing too. We could sign Messi on a free and I'm sure he'd be a bit shit in the first few months with Klopp's rock and roll football.

Imagine Kane and and Grealish, both huge fish in tiny ponds suddenly seeing the game differently with different expectations that they're not used to, i e. winning stuff.

Ps. Yes midfield worries me. Thiago is already injured again. :rolleyes:

PPS. Attacking wise we have two new players you didn't see last season. A (finally) well rested Mane and Diogo Jota. Who? Exactly. I forgot he existed too.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't expect much of them. I think it'll be a quiet uneventful season where they struggle, maybe win a domestic cup and then announce Klopp's departure.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
PPS. Attacking wise we have two new players you didn't see last season. A (finally) well rested Mane and Diogo Jota. Who? Exactly. I forgot he existed too.
But surely you need something more up front? Firmino hasn't been doing well for a while and Mané and Salah aren't getting any younger. Kota has been great of course, but for rotation purposes, some quality back-up seems important. Also, if a good player takes so long to bed in, all the more reason to get one or two right now, so they're available come crunch time, or at least next season, no?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I have us finishing 4th currently. I think City will win it again with Chelsea 2nd and United 3rd.

I don't think anyone else is breaking into that top four. We're not going to lose six in a row at home again and the chances of losing multiple CB's to long term injuries is also slim.

I don't think we've got enough to win the league though. Our midfield suddenly looks very patched together.

Henderson has an awkward contract situation.
Thiago is carrying an injury currently and may or may not settle (he did improve at the back end of last season).
Wijnaldum has gone
Keita will break down injured again
Chamberlain is made of glass and underwhelming.
Milner is old.
Jones is unproven.

Then you've only got Fabinho holding it all together.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
But surely you need something more up front? Firmino hasn't been doing well for a while and Mané and Salah aren't getting any younger. Kota has been great of course, but for rotation purposes, some quality back-up seems important. Also, if a good player takes so long to bed in, all the more reason to get one or two right now, so they're available come crunch time, or at least next season, no?
I think the club are looking for better value next summer. More players with shorter or zero contacts, etc. I'm just concerned about this season after witnessing the injury horror show last season.

Klopper has already mentioned need for a midfielder. I think we might get one before the window shuts.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I'm still hopeful we are working quietly in the shadows and land an additional midfielder and a forward.

Not replacing Wijnaldum would be incredibly disappointing, particularly considering you have already signed two world class players, City will likely get both Grealish and Kane, and Chelsea are bound to spend big on Lukaku or another striker.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I'm still hopeful we are working quietly in the shadows and land an additional midfielder and a forward.

Not replacing Wijnaldum would be incredibly disappointing, particularly considering you have already signed two world class players, City will likely get both Grealish and Kane, and Chelsea are bound to spend big on Lukaku or another striker.
It would be very unlike us to not be doing that. We always seem prepared and nearly always make the right purchases at the right time. The last five years has been like living through the eye of a shit storm. There's shit we've come through and there's shit we'll end up going through again but right now we're in this perfect moment (as Klopp would say).

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Minamino is never making it here. He's the physically easiest to dominate player I've ever seen in a red shirt.
Of the good players Leipzig/Salzburg produce, you seem to sign the duffers (Keita, Minamino). Should be third time lucky with Konate.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Of the good players Leipzig/Salzburg produce, you seem to sign the duffers (Keita, Minamino). Should be third time lucky with Konate.
Mane says hi...

Giggsy13

I have us finishing 4th currently. I think City will win it again with Chelsea 2nd and United 3rd.

I don't think anyone else is breaking into that top four. We're not going to lose six in a row at home again and the chances of losing multiple CB's to long term injuries is also slim.

I don't think we've got enough to win the league though. Our midfield suddenly looks very patched together.

Henderson has an awkward contract situation.
Thiago is carrying an injury currently and may or may not settle (he did improve at the back end of last season).
Wijnaldum has gone
Keita will break down injured again
Chamberlain is made of glass and underwhelming.
Milner is old.
Jones is unproven.

Then you've only got Fabinho holding it all together.
This is making McFred sound fairly decent! You could use Saul. Also if reports are true, Sabitzer being offered to Bayern at €15 to €18 million is an absolute steal.

Giggsy13

New world class players take a season to fit in to a new way of playing too. We could sign Messi on a free and I'm sure he'd be a bit shit in the first few months with Klopp's rock and roll football.

Imagine Kane and and Grealish, both huge fish in tiny ponds suddenly seeing the game differently with different expectations that they're not used to, i e. winning stuff.

Ps. Yes midfield worries me. Thiago is already injured again. :rolleyes:

VVD injury aside, the Jota injury had a big impact, as your front 3 needed that quality in rotation. Jota looked liked the real deal the games he played. Mane was unusually poor, don’t expect that type of season from him again.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Looks like Robertson will be out for few weeks.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah didn’t look good. He walked off but so did Van Dijk at Goodison.
I thought he broke his ankle, he is really lucky that he didn't. Looked awful in slow motion replays

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I did ankle ligaments, and the ankle just felt tight.
I even went on again for a minute, headed it, then came back off.

3months out of football.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
This has happened two days in a row now. Happened yesterday before the friendly against Bilbao.

Josh 76

This has happened two days in a row now. Happened yesterday before the friendly against Bilbao.

I read that Nigel Spackman had to apologise for something he said about the above situation?

Irwin99

Have heard they're interested in Renato Sanches. Thought he looked pretty decent for Portugal when I saw him at the Euros and he seems to be getting his career back on track?

Really not sure what to expect of them this season.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
We've had a decent preseason, all well structured and everyone getting game time but not too much. Some youngsters I never heard of showing a lot of promise alongside the seniors (Clarkson mainly).

Ox looked outstanding, obviously he's now due a year long injury but yesterday he was 'Pep's nightmare', as someone referred to him on another forum. :drool:

One injury to Robbo is manageable if Tsimikas stays fit and plays like he has so far. Outstanding left foot. In CB I couldn't choose my LFC FF CB as any one/two of Konate, Matip, VvD and Gomez deserve to start.

Midfield is a bit lighter until Fab, Hendo and Thiago gain some more fitness. Up front can you believe Firmino scored. And he scored twice!! Just shows what having Jota and Ox pouncing on that number 9 spot does to your motivations.

The gloom has somewhat subsided and the sun is beginning to shine. Commence the (real) football!

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
We've had a decent preseason, all well structured and everyone getting game time but not too much. Some youngsters I never heard of showing a lot of promise alongside the seniors (Clarkson mainly).

Ox looked outstanding, obviously he's now due a year long injury but yesterday he was 'Pep's nightmare', as someone referred to him on another forum. :drool:

One injury to Robbo is manageable if Tsimikas stays fit and plays like he has so far. Outstanding left foot. In CB I couldn't choose my LFC FF CB as any one/two of Konate, Matip, VvD and Gomez deserve to start.

Midfield is a bit lighter until Fab, Hendo and Thiago gain some more fitness. Up front can you believe Firmino scored. And he scored twice!! Just shows what having Jota and Ox pouncing on that number 9 spot does to your motivations.

The gloom has somewhat subsided and the sun is beginning to shine. Commence the (real) football!
This is going to come back and bite you my friend. I do expect us to be better than last season though, assuming we don't break down with injuries.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
This is going to come back and bite you my friend. I do expect us to be better than last season though, assuming we don't break down with injuries.
Not sure what I've said to come back and bite me. I've already got Ox down as being out for the season in 3..2..1...

One thing we have achieved is a real good preseason. All planned to how Klopp wanted it and not affected by covid outbreaks or unnecessary money making friendly games.