Luka Modric

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
To be fair Glaston, you don't have any idea what United can afford and what they can't.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
To be fair Glaston, you don't have any idea what United can afford and what they can't.
With the FFP regulations coming into play I could make a pretty good guess that it's less than what Levy would demand in the circumstances I outlined.

Unless of course you sell off some players and get a pretty penny in return ...

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Spurs will not sell him in january. Pretty naive to expect otherwise. Next summer is the earliest you could hope for to land him.
I never said they would, however if we want him then we shouldn't wait.

KM

With the FFP regulations coming into play I could make a pretty good guess that it's less than what Levy would demand in the circumstances I outlined.

United are well suited to meet the FFP regulations, however Modric might be a bridge too far

Btw, it might interest you but an ITK on RI who is always right(has some kind of job at Carrington) posted that Levy offered Modric to Us for 45-50m Pounds(few days after Champions League) as he would rather do the deal with us than Chelsea, but obviously we denied.

The Neviller

You're a clueless gimp Glaston, it's widely acknowledged that United are one of, if not the, best placed English club when FFP does come into place. If United want him, view him worth £40 mil, Spurs see fit to accept that amount, and he wants to come here, then United can quite easily afford him.

For £40 mil, as far as i'm concerned, you can keep him though. He isn't worth that much.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
"The chairman stood firm over Luka," he told Sky Sports News. "I think £40million was apparently offered yesterday. Whether that is true or not, it is what I heard."

This is what I called Redknapp's ramblings earlier. The man is a fecking buffoon who talks nonsense half the time. Like I said, there was never a confirmed 40m bid for Modric.

Have you ever considered the distinct possibility that Chelsea may finish outside the top 4 this season? If they do, I doubt Modric will renew his interest in moving across town.

And if Spurs finish in the top 4, can you imagine how much money it'd take to persuade Levy to sell Modric next summer? The answer is more than Man. Utd could afford.

Btw, official or not, the 40m figure comes from many sources.
Of course, if Chelsea don't finish in the top four, the chances of getting Modric would get even slimmer. However, they could still offer him bettter wages and the club will probably invest in bringing other top talent in the summer.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
... Btw, it might interest you but an ITK on RI who is always right(has some kind of job at Carrington) posted that Levy offered Modric to Us for 45-50m Pounds(few days after Champions League) as he would rather do the deal with us than Chelsea, but obviously we denied.
I highly doubt that's true.

You only have to read the line-in-the-sand statement that Levy made about Modric in the summer to realise that he wasn't going to be sold come hell or high water. Levy has never before put his neck on the line like that ... and he was never going to reel it in.

You have to appreciate the sheer level of anger felt by Levy over Modric's summer antics, especially with the ink not long dry on a 6 year contract: he wasn't about to let Modric go anywhere, not to anyone, no way, no how.

KM

Fair enough, but he hasn't been wrong about United till now.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
... it's widely acknowledged that United are one of, if not the, best placed English club when FFP does come into place. If United want him, view him worth £40 mil, Spurs see fit to accept that amount, and he wants to come here, then United can quite easily afford him.

For £40 mil, as far as i'm concerned, you can keep him though. He isn't worth that much.
All very well, but 40m would not be the figure in question in the circumstances outlined. Think much higher.

The Neviller

All very well, but 40m would not be the figure in question in the circumstances outlined. Think much higher.
How much higher are you talking here Glaston, because unless you're getting into world record signing figures then FFP will have feck all bearing on whether United can or will buy a player. They make enough in revenue and sponsorship for FFP to have little to no bearing on their decision making in regards to transfers.

You might be right in that what Spurs/Levy demand in respect to any prospective Modric transfer might be above what United would be willing to pay, but it won't be because FFP means they can't afford it. You are talking bollocks if that's the point you're making.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
How much higher cause 40 is too already
Well, and as I've said before, it's not about how much Modric is or isn't worth.

Spurs turned down 40m in the summer, with no CL in prospect. If we qualify for the CL this time around it's reasonable to assume that (a) Modric's desire to leave will be less; and (b) Spurs would be even more reluctant to sell and thus would demand considerably more than they turned down from Chelski.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
How much higher are you talking here Glaston, because unless you're getting into world record signing figures then FFP will have feck all bearing on whether United can or will buy a player. They make enough in revenue and sponsorship for FFP to have little to no bearing on their decision making in regards to transfers.

You might be right in that what Spurs/Levy demand in respect to any prospective Modric transfer might be above what United would be willing to pay, but it won't be because FFP means they can't afford it. You are talking bollocks if that's the point you're making.
I don't believe the (bolded) statement above is true.

If the FFP rules have any teeth - and I accept that this remains to be seen - then they will have an impact on the transfer decisions of all clubs, even if some clubs are affected more than others.

I don't want to get further caught up in hypothetical figures for Modric's possible sale beyond what I've said already. Suffice it to say that Spurs don't wish to sell, don't need to sell and, if we finish in the top 4, almost certainly won't sell.

The Neviller

Well, and as I've said before, it's not about how much Modric is or isn't worth.

Spurs turned down 40m in the summer, with no CL in prospect. If we qualify for the CL this time around it's reasonable to assume that (a) Modric's desire to leave will be less; and (b) Spurs would be even more reluctant to sell and thus would demand considerably more than they turned down from Chelski.
You keep bandying around this £40 million figure, it was never official, nobody ever admitted making or rejecting a bid, 'Arry just said it's what he heard. Who did he hear it from? He never said "Daniel Levy told me we've just turned down £40 million." It's been said in this thread before that 'Arry talks bollocks a lot of the time, which is true. Where did he hear they'd rejected a bid? The only weight that story has is that it came from Redknapp, which automatically makes it impossible to take as fact. He most likely heard it through his car window whilst shouting through it to a sky camera.

The Neviller

If the FFP rules have any teeth - and I accept that this remains to be seen - then they will have an impact on the transfer decisions of all clubs, even if some clubs are affected more than others.

I don't want to get further caught up in hypothetical figures for Modric's possible sale beyond what I've said already. Suffice it to say that Spurs don't wish to sell, don't need to sell and, if we finish in the top 4, almost certainly won't sell.
I've never said they will sell, or that United will bid, or that they'd get him if they tried. Spurs may well not sell, United may well not want him, but it would take an astronomical figure for United to be able to not afford it because of FFP. They may not be able to afford it due to the Glazers not doling out the funds, but not because of FFP.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
"The chairman stood firm over Luka," he told Sky Sports News. "I think £40million was apparently offered yesterday. Whether that is true or not, it is what I heard."

This is what I called Redknapp's ramblings earlier. The man is a fecking buffoon who talks nonsense half the time. Like I said, there was never a confirmed 40m bid for Modric.
It wasn't reported in the media, as the figure originated solely from him. Where do you think he'll have heard it from exactly, the tea-lady?

KM, I'm a little confused about your post. We offered out Modric for 50 million a few days after the champions league started? So after the season had already started after September, we offered him out?

I don't think Glaston is right in saying FPP is the reason that you are not able/willing to spend 40 million+ on Modric but he is hardly saying anything different to what a huge number of you will have likely said after the Glazers took over. The money is not there in the same way it has been previously and such huge sums won't be spent on a single player, especially one with a hugely reduced resale value at the end of the contract.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No he right; slimmer. Being outside of CL never stopped the City players (Yaya Toure, Silva etc) to join them. You are grossly underestimating the power of money.
Man. City were an exceptional case: a team that were clearly on the rise, with unlimited amounts of money being invested and thus several top class players joining them, one after the other, in quick succession.

Besides, several of the players - e.g. Nasri, Aguero - joined this summer, after Man. City had qualified for the CL.

Chelski, in contrast, are in decline and now entering an era where the FFP rules come into play.

If Spurs finish in the top 4 and Chelski don't, there'd be zero chance that Modric is going to join them ... even if he still wanted to.

BaldwinLegend

Modric will go though - he's maybe got 5-6 years left of being really, really top flight and Spurs will struggle to establish themselves as a Champion's League club in that time, let alone bona fide title contenders in the Premier League.

It's sad, but the way of the world - should Madrid or United really come in for him he'll leave eventually.

The Neviller

It wasn't reported in the media, as the figure originated solely from him. Where do you think he'll have heard it from exactly, the tea-lady?

KM, I'm a little confused about your post. We offered out Modric for 50 million a few days after the champions league started? So after the season had already started after September, we offered him out?

I don't think Glaston is right in saying FPP is the reason that you are not able/willing to spend 40 million+ on Modric but he is hardly saying anything different to what a huge number of you will have likely said after the Glazers took over. The money is not there in the same way it has been previously and such huge sums won't be spent on a single player, especially one with a hugely reduced resale value at the end of the contract.

He isn't, he's very wrong, and talking bollocks as usual. I've said United may well not be willing to spend the amount required, but it won't be because of FFP.

KM

My apologies, I meant the Champions League final.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Modric will go though - he's maybe got 5-6 years left of being really, really top flight and Spurs will struggle to establish themselves as a Champion's League club in that time ....
Maybe, maybe not. Nothing is written in stone and it wouldn't be the first time that Spurs have done better than many predicted.

BaldwinLegend

Maybe, maybe not. Nothing is written in stone and it wouldn't be the first time that Spurs have done better than many predicted.
Even then, would you stay at a 'maybe, maybe not' Champion's League club if you could play out your career at a club which totally expected to be in the CL every year? It's a no brainer for me, and Levy's price hikes aside I suspect it will be for Modric too.

I think I'm one of the less biased posters on here and I'm happy to admit Spurs are looking good at the moment but if I was Modric I'd be worried the house of cards all looks a bit flimsy: Redknapp could be gone in the summer to succeed Capello, Adebayor is only a loan signing and other than him you lack quality strikers, and if age catches up with Friedel you'd be in trouble. Next season could be very different to this year, especially if this season is indeed Redknapp's swan song.

Thinking about it, I can well imagine a deal was struck with Modric to stay for Redknapp's last year and to have a 'good go' with Harry to get Spurs into the CL before leaving next summer.

Skywarden

Man. City were an exceptional case: a team that were clearly on the rise, with unlimited amounts of money being invested and thus several top class players joining them, one after the other, in quick succession.

Besides, several of the players - e.g. Nasri, Aguero - joined this summer, after Man. City had qualified for the CL.

Chelski, in contrast, are in decline and now entering an era where the FFP rules come into play.

If Spurs finish in the top 4 and Chelski don't, there'd be zero chance that Modric is going to join them ... even if he still wanted to.
A case that set a precedence nevertheless. And yes, those players joined after City managed to qualify which is why I didn't include them. Still, they have prolific players who did join them before they qualified.

Furthermore, it's pretty bold stating they are in decline when they are playing CL this spring and you lot are not - nor are we or City. This season they've had a lots of ups and downs but let's be fair, transitioning like they've done is bound to be unstable for a season or two. They'll be as attractive as before when they've phased in their new talents. Looking back, I'm sure of that.

SATA

I highly suspect Modric will be a Chelsea or United player in the summer, and he certainly won't cost 40m. It's getting too apparent an inevitable transfer like the ones of Ronaldo and Fabregas

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Even then, would you stay at a 'maybe, maybe not' Champion's League club if you could play out your career at a club which totally expected to be in the CL every year? It's a no brainer for me, and Levy's price hikes aside I suspect it will be for Modric too.

I think I'm one of the less biased posters on here and I'm happy to admit Spurs are looking good at the moment but if I was Modric I'd be worried the house of cards all looks a bit flimsy: Redknapp could be gone in the summer to succeed Capello, Adebayor is only a loan signing and other than him you lack quality strikers, and if age catches up with Friedel you'd be in trouble. Next season could be very different to this year, especially if this season is indeed Redknapp's swan song.

Thinking about it, I can well imagine a deal was struck with Modric to stay for Redknapp's last year and to have a 'good go' with Harry to get Spurs into the CL before leaving next summer.
In the hypothetical context I've mentioned - namely where this season Spurs finish in the top 4 and Chelski don't - what price "totally expected to be in the CL every year"?

There are ifs and buts surrounding every club, not just Spurs. What if Fergie retires? What if Man. Utd don't win the league and Rooney kicks up rough again about wanting out? What if Van Persie doesn't sign a new contract for Arsenal and wants to go elsewhere?

I'm highly sceptical of your suggested imagined deal re. Modric - Levy doesn't operate on that basis and it's not as if Modric had a choice of staying or going, not with an angry Levy on the warpath and 5 years left on Modric's contract.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I highly suspect Modric will be a Chelsea or United player in the summer, and he certainly won't cost 40m. It's getting too apparent an inevitable transfer like the ones of Ronaldo and Fabregas
Out of interest, did you have this same feeling last summer as well?

The Neviller

When push comes to shove, in football principles only last so long. Levy did the right thing in the summer, he made a stand against a moody footballer looking out, who had recently signed a new deal, and he was exactly right to. I've every respect for how he dealt with that situation, and would hope those in charge of my club would take the same stand. How many summers can he do it though? If Modric hands in a transfer request this summer, demands a move and threatens to be difficult will Levy have the same resolve, or will he cash in on a player who doesn't want to be there any longer?

I'd suggest the second option would be the most sensible, and most likely. IF Modric wants out that is. He might not.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
You see, I'm not so sure if I'm being honest.

I don't see us going for him. He would be a good player, but very rarely will Fergie go out and spend an absurd amount of money on a player. Tottenham wanted at least £40m this season, so that's not going to change next year. In fact, if anything, Tottenham will want more because they're in an even better position now. I simply can't see it happening.

Whether Chelsea get him or not will all depend on whether they and Tottenham qualify for the Champions League or not. If Tottenham do and Chelsea don't, then money would be the only incentive. Even at that, Tottenham would probably be able to give him what he wants, as the Champions League would put them in an even better financial position. If they miss out, and Chelsea qualify though, then I can definitely see Modric making the move to Chelsea.

I certainly wouldn't say it's nailed on that he's going to leave at the moment, though.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
From Modric's perspective this summer will probably be the last time he has the chance to move to one of the biggest clubs in Europe, it would not surprise me if he has the same gentlemans agreement that we had with Ronaldo and Csec had with Arsenal i.e. give us one more year and we'll let you go next summer

I doubt he'll come to United though as we won't pay 30m+ for a near 27 year old midfielder

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's going to be very interesting at the end of the season if, as I expect, Spurs finish in 3rd. On the one hand they will be in the CL and have finished as the top club in London (which is where he wanted to stay). On the other, Modric might feel he's starting to get to the age now where he's got to make the move to one of the truly top clubs before it's too late. Also known as the 'Berbatov decision'. In which case, who does he go to?

If Chelsea really break open the bank and make a number of signings to get themselves back to the top, they'd probably be favourites. But if they don't do that, why would Modric push to join them when Spurs are arguably better (unless it's all about the money, which I don't think it is).

Which leaves us and City if he wants to stay in England. Unfortunately I can't see Levy dropping his asking price enough for us to get him. And City - well, who would they drop? Would Mancini go even more offensive and play Modric instead of Toure or Barry?

BaldwinLegend

From Modric's perspective this summer will probably be the last time he has the chance to move to one of the biggest clubs in Europe, it would not surprise me if he has the same gentlemans agreement that we had with Ronaldo and Csec had with Arsenal i.e. give us one more year and we'll let you go next summer

I doubt he'll come to United though as we won't pay 30m+ for a near 27 year old midfielder
You're right - didn't realise he was 26 and will turn 27 at the start of next year. I said the same a few posts ago about next summer - can easily believe he agreed to stay on for Harry's possible last season.

When does his contract run out? The only way I can see him going to United is if we do an Ashley Young style move in the last year of his contract.

No wonder he wanted out so badly last summer!

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
You're right - didn't realise he was 26 and will turn 27 at the start of next year.

When does his contract run out? The only way I can see him going to United is if we do an Ashley Young style move in the last year of his contract.

No wonder he wanted out so badly last summer!
It will have 4 more years to run after the end of this season.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Even though he's getting older, I don't think he has to immediately worry about going to one of the very top clubs just yet. He is a player who relies on his technique and ability, which means that he should still have another good 4-6 years at the top of his game. I think he would be able to give Tottenham a couple more years, before spending a few years at a bigger club. It'll all depend on what he wants to do, though.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Modric, if he has any sense, will be looking at Chelsea thinking that he's dodged a bullet. He's 26 now, so the next move, if it happens, needs to be right. It's conceivable Chelsea won't be winning anything for the next season or two. This surely gives us an edge, if we're interested.

All that said, I don't think we can glibly write Spurs off as a feeder club anymore. They've got the talent, they've got the London location. If they get in the CL and stage a title fight, maybe he'll buy into the idea of bing the fulcrum of an up and coming side.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think he would be able to give Tottenham a couple more years, before spending a few years at a bigger club.
Like I mentioned above, he's going to be in a very similar position as Berbatov was.

Both obviously liked being at the club and in a perfect world would prefer to stay there for another couple of seasons. But they also have to be thinking what if they miss their opportunity to play on the truly biggest stage and win the titles and medals that their talent deserves.

Spurs look like they'll be offering CL football next season though, which is an edge that they didn't have when Berbatov was making his decision.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
It'll be really hard for SAF to pay 30m at tops for a 27yr old... I don't think Modric is classified in the same bracket as worldclass for him to break the bank to buy, I mean, no doubt Modric is a wonderful player playing really well for Spurs and has been consistent for three years etc... But still, is he that type of player who'd definitely be up there with Barca's MF ? Modric still isn't on that level yet so I doubt we'd be spending that much money on him...

To be totally honest, Glaston/Africa have every right to speculate how much he should cost as like us, we had every right to ask for 80m for Ronaldo, they can ask for 40-50m for Modric with 4 years left in the contract...

I still don't think we will be any close in signing Modric, mostly it's speculation, I'm pretty sure SAF's transfer policy will always be buying the most hungry youngsters out there with a very strong mentality and also the best technique...

Not that I know who SAF is looking for now but with most of his signings, the players that have succeeded the most ala Rooney/Ronaldo were players who had a good self-belief in their abilities and would do whatever to be one of the best players in the world...

I can see him looking for a potential MF prospect like that and right now their are probably none out there that has satisfied him yet so I'm sure we'll have to keep our current crop until SAF risks again for a top talent youth player.

BaldwinLegend

It will have 4 more years to run after the end of this season.
Odd bit of advice, letting him sign that. That contract, together with Levy, will make it very hard for him to move up to a bigger club.

Things could get interesting if he starts making even louder noises about leaving than he did last summer - and if Redknapp goes I imagine he'll start making very loud noises indeed.