Lukaku or current/last seasons Zlatan - who is the better player?

Who is the better player? Lukaku or current/last season's Zlatan?

• Lukaku but Zlatan suits our style of play better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Adebesi

Such as?

Genuinely curious, not trolling or anything.
They can both do things the other cant do.

Ibra has that extraordinary deftness of touch and can do the little flicks very few other players can do, not just Lukaku. I dont want to get into that whole thing about Lukaku having no hold up play because I think that is exaggerated, but Ibra's is clearly much better that that. He can bring the ball under control regardless of how it comes to him.

Whereas Lukaku can run.

Greck

Zlatan was better as an individual but Lukaku is better for the team. Zlatan and Martial didn't work and as good as his link up with Pogba was, he wasnt finishing the easy chances Pogba made for him. Also killed our counters and dropped deep to get on the ball when we needed his goalscoring over his playmaking. He wasn't above ignoring teammates in better positions to go for glory when that kind of thimg is only justifiable when youre actually finishing those chances. Lukaku may be limited but he plays within himself and always makes the selfless pass while at the same time converting his chances. His assist tally is no fluke

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Hyperbole, but some of the goals and things Zlatan has done over his career are incredible. The touches, plucking the ball out of the sky, the volley back heal goals and so on. Obviously yeah sure Any proffesional footballer could have moments where they emulate that sort of skill and ability but on a consistent basis I just don’t see those things as part of Lukaku’s game.

Same as I don’t think I could picture Zlatan screaming away from the half way line having beaten a man and going solo past maybe 2 more which Lukaku has in his locker.

May I add I’m not even a Zlatan fan in his final years here but the man deserves respect for at times being a god damn magician with a football.

Oh throughout his career he's done some absurd things. But i'm just judging him on his United tenure and i don't really see anything he done last year that Lukaku also can't do. They're different players, obviously, but i just think Lukaku offers a lot more. I think it would be fair to say that i couldn't see Zlatan doing a lot of things Lukaku can do though.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I believe I'm correct in saying Zlatan got 28 goals in 41 appearances last season, Lukaku is currently on 23 in 37

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
They can both do things the other cant do.

Ibra has that extraordinary deftness of touch and can do the little flicks very few other players can do, not just Lukaku. I dont want to get into that whole thing about Lukaku having no hold up play because I think that is exaggerated, but Ibra's is clearly much better that that. He can bring the ball under control regardless of how it comes to him.

Whereas Lukaku can run.

I will concede that Lukaku's first touch can sometimes let him down, but like you said about his perceived lack of hold up play, i also think his "bad" first touch is exaggerated. I just think Lukaku is clearly a better all round-player for us than what Ibra was.

Adebesi

I will concede that Lukaku's first touch can sometimes let him down, but like you said about his perceived lack of hold up play, i also think his "bad" first touch is exaggerated. I just think Lukaku is clearly a better all round-player for us than what Ibra was.
Hey, I agree. I voted Lukaku. We got Zlatan well after his peak. I think Lukaku has been better for the team (whole team scoring more) but also just in himself. Not being as good as Ibra in that specific skill, his close control / first touch etc doesnt make Lukaku bad. Very few people are better than Ibra at that. But all round I would definitely take Lukaku.

tony54

Personally think there is no doubt in Lukaku being the better player. He is 24, entering his prime while Zlatan will be 36 soon. As it stands he is fitter, sharper and an all round better player than Ibrahimovic.

Again, this isn't about them in their peaks. Highly doubt Lukaku will be able to replicate the very impressive standards of Zlatan at his age either.

I think both are equally important for MU and both quality players. One has won all the accolades possible and the other has all the potential to do the same.
I wish we had Ibra some 6 years earlier because he is a leader and very inspirational, not sure about these qualities with Lukaku yet but he wins my vote for effort, speed, strength and most times skill.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
How anyone can say Zlatan is beyond me. Lukaku offers so much more, as lethal as Zlatan was at times he was frustrating and quite limited. Would be a very handy alternative to have now if fit, but Lukaku is really beginning to grow on me.

Stacks

Last Season, Zlatan played 28 PL games for United. Now, Lukaku has played 28 PL Games this Season. Here are their stats:

Zlatan: 28(1) PL Apps; 17 PL Goals; 0.61 Goals/Game; 5 PL Assists; Share of Team's Goals: 17/44*=39%; Share if Assists are included: 22/44=50%. Goals vs Big5: 2 in 6 Games = 0.33.
Lukaku: 28(0) PL Apps; 14 PL Goals; 0.50 Goals/Game; 6 PL Assists; Share of Team's Goals: 14/54*=26%; Share if Assists are included: 20/54=37%. Goals vs Big5: 1 in 7 Games = 0.14.

*When injured, United had scored 48 PL Goals. Of those, 4 came when Zlatan was suspended. Therefore, 44 Goals when in Action.
** Lukaku has missed one Game (Everton), where United scored twice. So 54 PL Goals when in Action, not 56.
Lukaku is a better player now than Zlatan was last season, obviously nothing on peak Zlatan, though. He also suits us better.
Not quite
For me the answer it's easily Lukaku. Not even close imo.

Lukaku just offers so much more. He has way more pace, gets the goals and also brings others into play. His hold you play is better and work rate is certainly better. Don't mean to shit on Zlatan here 'cause he did great for us last year in terms of goals, but i also think he hindered us a lot in attack. yes he scored all our goals, but that was partly due to the way we played in having him in the team. We were so restricted imo.

He was also supremely frustrating a lot of the time, and while Lukaku is far from perfect (he has a lot of room for improvement), he easily comes out on top for me.
evidently not

Looks like Zlatan comes out on top here.
It goes further

Zlatan - Forward passes: 550, pass completion:74%, key passes:42, chances created:47, assists:5, goals scored:17, goals outside box: 4, shots inside box: 80, shots outside the box: 35
Lukaku - Forward passes: 316 , pass completion:69%, key passes:21, chances created:27, assists:6, goals scored:14, goals outside box: 0, shots inside box: 67, shots outside the box: 10

If we were comparing 2 players playing for different clubs, you'd probably want the top one as he is far more productive and offers more. The fact that Zlatan scored 4 worldies shows he can make something out of nothing and is part of his world class ability that Lukaku has never shown. I would imagine a 35 year old Messi would also do some crazy stuff Lukaku can't because he had the talent in the 1st place. I feel we all (myself included) underappreciated Zlatan and how difficult it is in this team.

Stacks

How anyone can say Zlatan is beyond me. Lukaku offers so much more, as lethal as Zlatan was at times he was frustrating and quite limited. Would be a very handy alternative to have now if fit, but Lukaku is really beginning to grow on me.
what you are saying is impossible, Zlatan has created nearly double the chances, scored a greater type of goal (including long range), made more forward passes, so I wonder what Lukaku offers more other than pace?

Bwuk

Zlatan and comfortably. He carried our attack and our side at times.

I don’t remember half the forum ever debating Zlatans quality before his injury.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
what you are saying is impossible, Zlatan has created nearly double the chances, scored a greater type of goal (including long range), made more forward passes, so I wonder what Lukaku offers more other than pace?
Lukaku’s passing is much better, he can take his man on and run at defenders. Zlatan created more chances through his brilliant hold up play, but I think across the pitch Lukaku offers more.

Zlatan is definitely more refined, but that’s obvious - he’s over 10 years older.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Zlatan and comfortably. He carried our attack and our side at times.

I don’t remember half the forum ever debating Zlatans quality before his injury.
Agreed. Zlatan's contributions of 28 goals in 80% of a season are criminally underrated here. And it wasn't just the goals, it was the variety of goals - inside the box, outside the box, headers, free kick, audacious chips, opportunistic goals etc.

AR87

Because we played everythingt through Zlatan. If he was as good as he was in his peak the team's productivity would have been elevated along with his individual production, but it wasn't because his impact was diminished at this stage of his career. Zlatan himself had a great attacking season, but his performances and style of play did little to help the other attackers in the side.

It's not a coincidence Martial, Rashford, Lingard and even Pogba have had more productive attacking seasons with Lukaku spearheading the attack than they did last year.

There isn't a stat that can measure the value of Lukaku making runs out wide which create space through the middle for others to exploit and stretches defences. Zlatan making more forward passes means little if he was dropping deep into midfield to do so as he so often did which let the opposition CBs off the hook.

I also would like to see the chances which Zlatan created and judge their quality. His playmaking was one of the more disappointing aspects of his game last year for me. I also believe Zlatan was far more wasteful in promising positions than Lukaku has been generally.

I don't want to sound like I'm disparaging Zlatan. He was the best possible option for us last year given the dearth of quality strikers available and the various needs we had. I just think Lukaku is a more progressive option and his impact on those around him is better in ways that individual stats will not capture.

Andersons Dietician

Oh throughout his career he's done some absurd things. But i'm just judging him on his United tenure and i don't really see anything he done last year that Lukaku also can't do. They're different players, obviously, but i just think Lukaku offers a lot more. I think it would be fair to say that i couldn't see Zlatan doing a lot of things Lukaku can do though.
Oh yeah I was meaning broader picture than Just United career, because to be honest Zlatan didn’t really do that much that was Zlatanesque. Lukaku could just stand there and conserve energy like Zlatan did no problem at all, and run within the width of the box when he feels like it. Everything else he did for us yes I could see Lukaku doing that no bother at all.

Saying that the technique for that volley against City was beautiful even if it was in to an empty net.

Andersons Dietician

Agreed. Zlatan's contributions of 28 goals in 80% of a season are criminally underrated here. And it wasn't just the goals, it was the variety of goals - inside the box, outside the box, headers, free kick, audacious chips, opportunistic goals etc.
I think the difference between the two camps is that some feel his lack of movement, involvement affected the overall team performance. There were also many games where he was absolute dire and then he’d score 2. It just depends if you can write off the 89mins in the game where he was like a statue, dropped to deep, misplaced passes and for someone who’s control was at one point berbatovesque he gave the ball away quite a bit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think the difference between the two camps is that some feel his lack of movement, involvement affected the overall team performance. There were also many games where he was absolute dire and then he’d score 2. It just depends if you can write off the 89mins in the game where he was like a statue, dropped to deep, misplaced passes and for someone who’s control was at one point berbatovesque he gave the ball away quite a bit.
Yeah I can understand the argument that he wasted some chances and doesn't have Lukaku's pace or movement, but all things said, we are more or less the same in terms of our attack - other than the fact that Lingard has suddenly sprung to life with a lot more goals.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'd say Lukaku but because he suits our style of play better...Zlatan was excellent for us last season but spent a lot of time faffing around in the middle of the pitch where wee already had at times two or three other players doing the same thing. Lukaku is always in the ara of the pitch you want your striker to be.

Although saying that there have been games this season we;ve struggled in, where last season's Zlatan would have been very useful. Last season though there were countless games we couldn't score in despite being on top...hasn't happened once this season.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
evidently not
Huh? How is it evident. I know Zlatan got more goals, but it's the intangibles that you can't simply measure by stats that made me come to the conclusion that Lukaku is better for us. That's what the question was. Zlatan's goalscoring stats are impressive because he was the fulcrum of our attack. And if he wasn't scoring then, for the most part, nobody was. That had to do largely with how we were playing with Zlatan in the team. That's why i said i found that he hindered our attack a lot of the time. That's not to belittle what he done for us.

Lukaku fits better, imo. As an all-round player, he's better for us. We share the goals out now. Obviously that's not ALL down to Lukaku but it's more than merely a coincidence. We no longer have that player who we're overly reliant on (i.e. Zlatan) to get all our goals, so therefore we're far more fluid in attack and not as one dimensional. We still have problems, but that's a completely separate issue.

It's all opinion at the end of the day, so it's certainly not "evident".

Walters_19_MuFc

Zlatan to me, as a player, is better. More all rounded, and is a much better target man than Lukaku, who I guess is used as target man because of his height and strength.

Things that I feel Zlatan is better than Lukaku at:

Link play
Holding the ball
Passing
Timing of runs
Shooting (long range)
Aerially

Things I feel Lukaku is better at than Zlatan:

Running with ball
Crossing
Speed
Running into channels (stretching play)
Poaching (inside the box)

I guess it all depends on how we set up too, but in a 4231, I would prefer Lukaku. An attacking midfielder behind him to link/run in behind, with wingers putting crosses in. That, to me, is when you get the best out of Lukaku.

In a 433, it has to be Ibrahimovic. With wide forwards, it allows the striker to drop into the 10 role and create play, which Ibra does so well. Firmino does the same at Liverpool, with Mane and Salah flanking him.

JohnyBuckets

Lukaku all day. We were shit last season and it was so frustrating to watch Zlatan slow our play down and drop down to midfield. He had some games were he was so much shit. This is not to say that peak Zlatan wasn´t great and at time he showed how much quality he had but it didnt suit our style of play. Results speak for themselves. Not to say Lukaku is great. He has to improve so much to be what we need.

Dyslexic Untied

My recollection of Zlatan's "poorer" qualities last year is that he i) missed too many sitters in crucial games we ended up dropping points in and ii) at times dropped way too deep, seemingly to be more in touch with the ball. The former point I don't really hold against Lukaku this year, as I don't really think he has missed that many clear cut chances. On the contrary, the team has produced relatively few clear cut chances for him I feel. The latter point is not necessarily a negative, as the stats posted by someone above showed that he was progressive in his passing, and had a lot of key passes. It just felt annoying at times last year when he was deep in the build up play, and then not in the box when the ball eventually found its way to the wings.

All this is from memory, and may possibly not be in line with the stats (or reality) at all.

Stacks

Because we played everythingt through Zlatan. If he was as good as he was in his peak the team's productivity would have been elevated along with his individual production, but it wasn't because his impact was diminished at this stage of his career. Zlatan himself had a great attacking season, but his performances and style of play did little to help the other attackers in the side.

It's not a coincidence Martial, Rashford, Lingard and even Pogba have had more productive attacking seasons with Lukaku spearheading the attack than they did last year.

There isn't a stat that can measure the value of Lukaku making runs out wide which create space through the middle for others to exploit and stretches defences. Zlatan making more forward passes means little if he was dropping deep into midfield to do so as he so often did which let the opposition CBs off the hook.

I also would like to see the chances which Zlatan created and judge their quality. His playmaking was one of the more disappointing aspects of his game last year for me. I also believe Zlatan was far more wasteful in promising positions than Lukaku has been generally.

I don't want to sound like I'm disparaging Zlatan. He was the best possible option for us last year given the dearth of quality strikers available and the various needs we had. I just think Lukaku is a more progressive option and his impact on those around him is better in ways that individual stats will not capture.
Interesting.......We played through Zlatan because he has big shoulders and doesn't hide away like many weaker minded players do on occasion. He is always up for the fight so is like Cantona, a real leader who takes responsibility.

when you suggest he did little to help the attackers, as we have seen he created plenty opportunities but our players were finishing poorly. In fact we averaged nearly 2 chances per game more in 2017 than this season.
In addition our overall squad has improved with less reliance on slow players like Carrick, Rooney, Fellaini and we have Matic in there as well.

We are 8 points better off at this stage now than last, and that's factoring that we played Europa league then Sunday (which was a major complaint) and threw away so many points during that period when no one else chipped in with goals due to poor finishing

Zlatan's disappointing playmaking

Huh? How is it evident. I know Zlatan got more goals, but it's the intangibles that you can't simply measure by stats that made me come to the conclusion that Lukaku is better for us. That's what the question was. Zlatan's goalscoring stats are impressive because he was the fulcrum of our attack. And if he wasn't scoring then, for the most part, nobody was. That had to do largely with how we were playing with Zlatan in the team. That's why i said i found that he hindered our attack a lot of the time. That's not to belittle what he done for us.

Lukaku fits better, imo. As an all-round player, he's better for us. We share the goals out now. Obviously that's not ALL down to Lukaku but it's more than merely a coincidence. We no longer have that player who we're overly reliant on (i.e. Zlatan) to get all our goals, so therefore we're far more fluid in attack and not as one dimensional. We still have problems, but that's a completely separate issue.

It's all opinion at the end of the day, so it's certainly not "evident".
See above.

montpelier

Zlatan last season vs Lukaku this season - is quite an interesting question. I'd put them about level - I don't think RL does quite enough, I thought Z did slightly less than that even, but hit the net a lot & played a big part in winning 2 trophies.

I'm happier with where we are now than at the equivalent stage last year, it has more potential. This time last year I was pretty anti-Z owing to the lack of movement & any speed, which was not ever coming back. We exceeded any reasonable expectations last year, we might be under the bar this time. Funny old game.

Minimalist

I thought Zlatan did well with what he had. Lukaku's obviously more mobile and works a bit harder.

Zlatan definitely had that match-winner quality though. Not that Lukaku can't develop that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ibra at the start was much better then ibra after a few months in the league once he was fatigued. Sure he missed chances, but his play was good. That ibra was better then Lukaku, but he couldn't keep it up every week obviously because of age and fatigue. Lukaku overall obviously better though that's just cause Ibra was 35

LoneStar

Like most people have said, individually, Zlatan was better. But Lukaku’s pace and movement helps the team much more.

I would play both at some point. Zlatan central and Lukaku on the right. Lukaku can cross and take on defenders as well, so Zlatan would get plenty of service from him.

Andersons Dietician

Great post and I would just echo everything you’ve said. The point about the chances created my strongest memory from our team play is Valencia looping ball to Zlatan to header on.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ibra was the better player for me.

He was our best player last season IMO.

I think his season was criminally underrated and if Jose managed him better, I think he could have scored 40 for the season.

DarkXaero

I don't understand people making the point that Lukaku is a better fit for the team than Zlatan. The only thing Lukaku offers over Zlatan is pace. People point to our goal tally last season and partially blame our players underperforming on having to play through Zlatan. Why? It wasn't Ibra's fault that Martial was in poor form last season. Not to mention, that we're simply a better team this season, with or without Lukaku. Our players are more accustomed to Mourinho, players like Martial and Lingard are playing better (and it doesn't have to do with Lukaku), and having Matic helps us quite a bit. If anything, Lukaku doesn't get involved enough in our buildup play, and can be too static in his movement. Zlatan missed quite a few chances last season. So has Lukaku this season. Zlatan had his faults, but he was just a more capable player than Lukaku is.

SpyLuke10

Zlatan, while more prolific in his thirties, was definitely a better player in his late 20s imo, all around class act, seeing is believing. I do feel that Lukaku suits our system better even if he is a similar level, perhaps slightly worse, perhaps slightly better, in comparison to Zlatan last season. I do feel as though someone like Lukaku, with his mentality, work ethic and avid watching of the sport, will continue to improve and I would say that we are probably 3-4 years away from his peak seasons. In this season alone I have noticed that Lukaku's passing and hold up play has improved significantly, as well as his vision, he just needs to be a bit less clumsy on some occasions and finish a few more of the sitters he has missed. Overall I'm very happy we got Rom, in retrospect he was definitely the better player to get over Morata, hes physically stronger, but also much stronger mentally, a student of the game. (He also seems to have a wicked cross on him.)

I split Zlatan last season into two groups though, Zlatan first half of the season vs Zlatan second half of the season (after christmas), imo his performances declined significantly after about early January. Lukaku this season we will see but I can see him kicking on from here and having his best run of the season aside from the first ten games at least in the rest of the season.

Overall so far I still think Lukaku this season, this is reflected by the teams overall output, all the attacking players around him have been much more prolific, and I don't think that is a coincidence, I mean of course players improve but no doubt Lukaku being there instead of Ibra certainly changes up the dynamic of the team going forward. You can't discount Matic's impact either however.

prath92

I don't understand people making the point that Lukaku is a better fit for the team than Zlatan. The only thing Lukaku offers over Zlatan is pace. People point to our goal tally last season and partially blame our players underperforming on having to play through Zlatan. Why? It wasn't Ibra's fault that Martial was in poor form last season. Not to mention, that we're simply a better team this season, with or without Lukaku. Our players are more accustomed to Mourinho, players like Martial and Lingard are playing better (and it doesn't have to do with Lukaku), and having Matic helps us quite a bit. If anything, Lukaku doesn't get involved enough in our buildup play, and can be too static in his movement. Zlatan missed quite a few chances last season. So has Lukaku this season. Zlatan had his faults, but he was just a more capable player than Lukaku is.
Because Zlatan would take free kicks, penalties and take shots himself. Whereas lukaku is generally more selfless in his play. Against arsenal away for instance lukaku got no assists or goals but he was heavily involved in 2 of our 3 goals. Zlatan also couldn’t run the channels like lukaku seems to be doing for us.