Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicharito_

I think Mourinho has confirmed that's the end for Shaw, subbed at ht no injury because lack of personality, positioning etc

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Thought he had a good half and the fact our performance deteriorated when young came on for him in the second was no surprise.

Eddy_JukeZ

After what Jose just said re: Shaw, he'll be lucky to ever play again this season.

That's damning.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I’m not sure what it is that Valencia does that Shaw doesn’t. Young is our best full back for sure, but Valencia for me is really lacking too.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He’s nothing special going forward and rank bad in defence. I cannot understand the hate Jose is getting for the handling of him, we complain about lack of quality in the squad then demand Shaw plays. I know we WANT him to be good, but I just feel he’s not at this level.
Agree

Zoo

Their attacks were all coming down his side in the first half. He is done.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Shaw is the master of looking like doing something while doing nothing.

Young came on and outshone him.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Honestly, if he wasn't always viewed in the context of him vs Young, there's very little positive to be said about his development as a player. He is not better than his Southampton days. There's nothing that leads me to believe that he'll make significant progress in the future.

lsd

The Oracle
Seriously why are people defending him .He was on twitter during the games liking tweets slagging Jose off .

So while the game is on Shaw is sat searching his name on twitter sulking like a spoilt child ?

We will never get back to the top with players like Shaw with that attitude

There is no defending him he has had chances both with Jose and Van Gaal and has not taken them .

I don't know what people are looking at if they think Shaw has been better than Young . Young may not be the answer for left back but he is far above Shaw when he plays there

SNes

"I wanted to defend better. I wanted more personality in the team, because many, many times I felt Matic was an island. "He was surrounded by a lack of personality, a lack of class and a lack of desire." - Jose Mourinho on why he subbed Luke Shaw.

el3mel

After what Jose just said re: Shaw, he'll be lucky to ever play again this season.

That's damning.
He's gone in summer.

And I'm not going to shed a tear. He had potential during his Southampton days but never lived up to it.

Time to move on, for our benefit.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He’s nothing special going forward and rank bad in defence. I cannot understand the hate Jose is getting for the handling of him, we complain about lack of quality in the squad then demand Shaw plays. I know we WANT him to be good, but I just feel he’s not at this level.
That’s the caf all over. They see one glimmer every now and then and will give you any reason why they don’t get there consistently, other than it’s the player.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

That's damning.
Bloody hell. He is off for sure. Well to alaba thread then:wenger:

Edit: this is the worst thing that jose ever said for one player. As i remember

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Okay, so BT have shown the moment where Mourinho was ushering Shaw to go "forwards". Thats my issue with him, he never seems to want to go forward, in fact he doesnt do a whole lot throughout most games.

Ekeke

He's gone in summer.

And I'm not going to shed a tear. He had potential during his Southampton days but never lived up to it.

Time to move on, for our benefit.
Not true at all. Before his injury he was flying here for several games, of course 5 or so games isnt forever but to say he never looked like a top leftback here is simply incorrect. He was one of our best players for a short time.

el3mel

Not true at all. Before his injury he was flying here for several games, of course 5 or so games isnt forever but to say he never looked like a top leftback here is simply incorrect. He was one of our best players for a short time.
When did I say he never looked like a top left back ?

I said he had potential during his Southampton days but never lived up to it. Can you disagree with that ?

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Just not united quality and I’m glad this experiment is over.

Get a world class left back this summer and I’m sure our play will improve. It’s been glaringly obvious to me for months, even more so than signing a centre mid.

I have to commend Young though - great professionalism from him and he’s performed well.

Ekeke

When did I say he never looked like a top left back ?

I said he had potential during his Southampton days but never lived up to it. Can you disagree with that ?
Yes. He lived up to it for a short time before his injury. He's struggled since coming back from that and with us changing managers, never seeming to win the full confidence of the managers

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well, I'll leave it in Mourinho's hands, but I haven't seen anything from Shaw to make me think he's not good enough (but what do I know?)

All I will say tho is Young offers that little bit more.

Witchking

Jose is a pathetic guy. If he wasn't happy with shaw, he could have said it was a tactical decision and then behind closed doors giving a talking to shaw about islands and stuff.
Keeps doing this at every club. Really low grade.

rpitchfo

Jose hates him. So he's done.

I think he's just confused as to what Jose wants. When Shaw was flying before his injury he was one of the most attacking fullbacks I'd seen in a long time. He can't work out when to go forward and when to defend how Jose wants him to.

Thought he was ok today.

Ekeke

Also I find this thread quite strange

Young has had a good season going forward and for a while he was doing his defensive duties too, but over the past several months he's been extremely influencial in a lot of the goals we've conceeded. But I'm not sure I saw as much criticism for him (Smalling was usually blamed) as I see for Shaw.

Web of Bissaka

Strange... once he's off, Brighton gets back to the game, gaining more possession, and building their attack momentum, got clearer cut chances too.
Also, we fail to continue that possession frenzy of first half, in the second half.

Tend to be underrated, his attacking positioning and movement push back opponents and attract them back to their half. Means more space for us to play.
Alas... too adventurous for Jose's liking. :rolleyes:

Got an assist to an assist to Lukaku's goal, and offers balance in our attacks, particularly since Martial opt to cut in too much nowadays.
---Hold the ball and recycle possession well, instrumental in our 1st half possession fun exchange.
-------Downside, expose defensively.

Good just one half performance.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I feel a bit bad for Shaw but I still don't see him as being out first-choice left back in the long term. He's not particularly bad at anything but neither does he have many stand-out attributes. Somebody in the game thread mentioned how it's great that he gets to the byline and leaves all the work for the attackers. I can see the thinking behind it but in today's game top full backs are expected to do a lot more than just pass the pressure onto other players. He simply can't cross and that appears to be the main problem.

I don't think he'll make it at a top club. I'd keep him as a bench player but I think he wants more gametime.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Very disappointing development of the kid. I am sure he will be off soon and that means we desperately need a leftback.. maybe even worse that we will see Italian getting some gametime till the end of the season

Swift Football

Not a fan of Shaw, but I dont think he was that bad today that he had to subbed off in the half or did I miss something. He was not great but i have seen poorer defending from him in many matches. Conspiracy theorist in me thinking - Was it Jose's plan all along to sub Shaw in the half time and try to make an example out of him, trying to reassure who is the boss? ( regardless of his performance tonight)

Personally, I believe Young in the second half did much better than Shaw in the first half.

AndyJ1985

Shaw has been a disaster since he signed for us. He's not been very good at all. But as is the case with all young players, there will be a section of fans who over hype them forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.