Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

He's obviously happy with Valencia. Young I'm not so sure he entered the seasons with that belief considering we started the season as Blind being our main LB. He tried all of them through the season and seem to have reached conclusion (from his perspective) that Young is the best of the lot. Don't think he was planning to depend on him as a starter at all from the preseason. Blind was our main LB in the whole preseason iirc.

What he will do in summer will tell us more.
Yeah fair point, Blind was the starter but when Young had hit form a while ago he had come in and been the starter. Then he dipped and we didnt see much of him. So maybe it was a belief that if Blind doesn't work out, Young would be fine.

Devil81

Because your manager does not appear to rate him at all?
Who are we to argue with a multiple trophy winning manager?

LVG highlighted Luke's issues during his time and I'm pretty certain even Pochitino criticised his fitness levels during his time with Southampton.

Ekeke

Whatever about the right and wrongs of the situation, cast your minds back to the Watford game towards the start of Mourinho’s first season, where he called out Shaw for not closing down their winger:

Fast forward well over 18 months and he’s saying:

To his mind, he’s still making the same mistakes and has the same weaknesses. Weaknesses which particularly seem to irk Mourinho.
The strange thing about it is Young and Valencia let in too many crosses too. I can't say Shaw never lets someone gets a cross in but he's no more liable than our other fullbacks. And at his best he's the best defender of the lot of them

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Who are we to argue with a multiple trophy winning manager?

LVG highlighted Luke's issues during his time and I'm pretty certain even Pochitino criticised his fitness levels during his time with Southampton.
I agree - there is clearly a major problem with him - perhaps it's his motivation, perhaps it's just lack of confidence following injuries, who knows - BUT it is also clear that Jose does not rate him at all - so yes the player needs to take responsibility and perform better but also it appears that the bridge is burnt at Utd and he does need to move. None of the bigger clubs will want him though.

Devil81

I agree - there is clearly a major problem with him - perhaps it's his motivation, perhaps it's just lack of confidence following injuries, who knows - BUT it is also clear that Jose does not rate him at all - so yes the player needs to take responsibility and perform better but also it appears that the bridge is burnt at Utd and he does need to move. None of the bigger clubs will want him though.
In that case he's finished then, because if he can't motivate himself to wear the red shirt of United, he's not gonna motivate himself to play for someone like West Ham or Everton.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In that case he's finished then, because if he can't motivate himself to wear the red shirt of United, he's not gonna motivate himself to play for someone like West Ham or Everton.
I've thought his career at the highest level has been over for some time tbh. He will end up at somewhere like Everton and will probably do nothing there for the rest of his career - like Walcott.

Dinghy

He was no worse than Valencia and Young on the day. He's just an easy target for our cowardly manager. When Jose's favourites have multiple shit games in a row, we never hear one bad word about it.

yardieUnited

im disgusted with Mourinho and of his treatment of shaw. Ashley young is not a good defender, one could see that yesterday when Brighton suddenly started to make Ashley Youngs side their route to start attacks. wasn't like that with shaw.
also I find it funny how someone asked why bother with shaw just because Ashley young had a good game against Liverpool, you forgot the game against spurs where young could have caught up to dele ali but decided not too. or the palace game where he got so torn apart by Andros TOWNSEND that he got substituted, or the chelsea game in which Willian destroyed him. yet he gets chances after chances. shaw even though with his injury history always go 100 procent into a challenge while Ashley young sticks a leg in or just avoid it completely. yet Jose wants to complain about Lukes mentality

when shaw got injured last season against Swansea(?) Jose basically got angry and mocked shaw, acting like it wasn't serious but it ended being serious.
Jose is obviously still mad about shaw turning him down when he was at Chelsea.
Jose can go..

also even though this isn't valencia thread I will say this about valencia, he is a negative player, to much back passing

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
If he couldn't do the basics against Brighton and seemingly couldn't be bothered, then he's done here. However it's a question of how he responds over the next couple of games. If he wants a future here then let's see the response or go to club like Bournemouth...personally I'd swap him for Ake

torrent

The only trouble for Shaw is Mourinho. It's like he destroyed Mata in Chelsea, who was good enough for them. Shaw is better in every way than Young, like Martial is better than Sanchez, Mctominay and Pogba miles better than Fellaini, only one man in the world would be deluded enough to bench Shaw, Pogba, Martial, Mata, Mctominay and play with worse players. Sadly, he's Man Utd coach.

Everyone says we play better than with Moyes and LVG, but do you think Moyes who played with cleverley alike players would show worse football than we do now, having so much talent on the team? For me, there is better sitting in 3-4 on EPL with good looking football, than in second with terrible football. Mourinho is destroying an opportunity to enjoy football as Man Utd fan.

AlwaysRed66

If people were treated like this in the workplace they would take Mourinho & Man Utd to an employment tribunal. Disgusting bullying from a bully who would never dare say anything to someone's face in the street, as he would get a good smacking.

Ekeke

Whats with all the body shaming in here? Why is that acceptable?

Mourinho didn't even complain about fitness. So it wasnt a reason he was taken off. But we have posters who want to insult our own players, calling them fat, etc?

Its dissappointing to see our fans being so toxic.

lewwoo

Mourinho didn't even complain about fitness. So it wasnt a reason he was taken off. But we have posters who want to insult our own players, calling them fat, etc?

Probably because he is a professional athelite being paid very well to stay in shape. If he was some guy working the check out at the local supermarket or a plumber then yes it would be uncalled for to call his size and fitness in to question.

Ekeke

Probably because he is a professional athelite being paid very well to stay in shape. If he was some guy working the check out at the local supermarket or a plumber then yes it would be uncalled for to call his size and fitness in to question.
Size and body shape don't reflect athletic ability. There are plenty of people who dont look lean and in shape who are far more athletic than you or I.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I like how people think the problem with Shaw is that the Manager doesn't rate him, and not a 30-something right winger playing at left back.

Ashley Young is just better than him. Luke Shaw is strong and fast, but that's about it. Young is far better going forward, and has shown defensive performances that Shaw could only dream of (even though I think Shaw is generally good defensively).

spiriticon

Size and body shape don't reflect athletic ability. There are plenty of people who dont look lean and in shape who are far more athletic than you or I.
Yeah but he's not very athletic for a professional footballer either. Several managers have called him out on that, not just Jose.

Arguably, the fullbacks have got to be the fittest people on the pitch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yet 99.9% of PL footballers are lean and in shape. Aesthetics aside, you can see he isn’t fit by his efforts on the pitch. Constantly arriving late on the scene, at both ends of the pitch. Full-backs arguably need to be the fittest player on the team. A description that will not have been used once about Shaw in his United career.

Ekeke

Yeah but he's not very athletic for a professional footballer either. Several managers have called him out on that, not just Jose.

Arguably, the fullbacks have got to be the fittest people on the pitch.
I dont think thats true, they've talked about his fitness not his athleticism havent they? As an athlete hes one of our fastest players. Whether he can keep that up for 90 mins every game is another question but we have a squad of players for a reason. We dont play only 11 players. So theres no reason to think that a player has to be ready to go in every single game. Shaw will be fine if he can play half the games and someone else plays the other set of matches.

spiriticon

I dont think thats true, they've talked about his fitness not his athleticism havent they? As an athlete hes one of our fastest players. Whether he can keep that up for 90 mins every game is another question but we have a squad of players for a reason. We dont play only 11 players. So theres no reason to think that a player has to be ready to go in every single game. Shaw will be fine if he can play half the games and someone else plays the other set of matches.
Ehhhhh no.

Flipping hell play half the games and rest the other half ? No sir. That's not what a top athlete at Manchester United should aspire to is it? Rest between games is something you give to the 30 year olds. He is 22 ffs.

dogwithabone

Writing is on the wall. He is never going to succeed here under current manager. Part unlucky with injuries, lack of professionalism at times it seems with his basic fitness and a case of his face just not fitting.

GreenHeron

But can you deny that Shaw has been poor though?

I want neither Young or Shaw starting for us next season. We need better quality.
We've now won 11 out of the last 13 games that Shaw has started in, he also came on at 1-2 v Palace and we ended up winning 3-2.

I don't recall him being one of our weaker players in any of those games.

So yes, I am denying it.

Litch

See you later Shaw. What have you done to deserve to wear the shirt than half the LB in the prem could have done. You like some of the other 'potential' is never going to happen in the timescales that we need.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He was no worse than Valencia and Young on the day. He's just an easy target for our cowardly manager. When Jose's favourites have multiple shit games in a row, we never hear one bad word about it.
This.

He was also doing well when Young was out, only to be benched once Young came back, and apart from Liverpool, hasn't given better performances than Luke. As someone has said, the manager is bullying the lad. Cannot believe no one at the club is not realising this. Jose just wants to clog up the club with old players on huge wages who will be hell to get rid of once the next manager comes in, instead of recognising talent and helping the young lads to develop properly and show them some trust. I don't care much for Poch, but I have no doubt he'd get this kid firing.

Roughseas

:lol:

The overrating of Shaw is ridiculous. He can make a pretty darting run, but he offers nothing in attack in terms of incisive passes, crosses or assists. His defending is worse than Young's, and Young himself is not adequate for us.

He hasn't shown anything that suggests he should start over Young though. That being said, I appreciate he has tried of late.
Your analysis is completely incorrect. He offers more in attack than young or valencia. His runs with pace drags opposition players out of position, giving space to the winger. He can cut in or stay wide. He is the only fullback in the team that does the critical inside forward (diagonal) pass, that a FB needs to do in order for the play to advance and catch the opposition wih their pants down. With the other fullbacks the ball just goes back to the centerbacks. This forward diagonal pass is so important, only Shaw and Darmian pull them off. I dont know if its mourinhos instructions to not perform this pass, but its exactly how the team played under LVG.
His defensive play is also so much better than Youngs, its not even funny. Shaws pace allows him to close in quickly on defenders. He is also a natural defender, he smells danger and acts on it quickly. Young lets opposition players cross at will. Brighton almost scored a number of times bc of this. Young is a joke in defense.

The problem with Shaw is he doesnt give full effort in every game. Idk whats wrong with his mentality, but based on talent, he is probably the 5th best player in the team.
I hope he doesnt get sold, maybe just loaned until mourinho gets shown the door.

POF

I really thought he had turned it around earlier in the season but this looks like the end for him. I don't think it is necessarily his ability but Jose doesn't seem to like his character.

I think he could have a really good career at a smaller club and it is time for him to move on now.

United's attack plays so narrow that they really need full backs who can get up and down all game. Valencia looks like his legs are starting to go too, so I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 new full backs this summer.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Your analysis is completely incorrect. He offers more in attack than young or valencia. His runs with pace drags opposition players out of position, giving space to the winger. He can cut in or stay wide. He is the only fullback in the team that does the critical inside forward (diagonal) pass, that a FB needs to do in order for the play to advance and catch the opposition wih their pants down. With the other fullbacks the ball just goes back to the centerbacks. This forward diagonal pass is so important, only Shaw and Darmian pull them off. I dont know if its mourinhos instructions to not perform this pass, but its exactly how the team played under LVG.
His defensive play is also so much better than Youngs, its not even funny. Shaws pace allows him to close in quickly on defenders. He is also a natural defender, he smells danger and acts on it quickly. Young lets opposition players cross at will. Brighton almost scored a number of times bc of this. Young is a joke in defense.

The problem with Shaw is he doesnt give full effort in every game. Idk whats wrong with his mentality, but based on talent, he is probably the 5th best player in the team.
I hope he doesnt get sold, maybe just loaned until mourinho gets shown the door.
Agree. He should be patient if he wants to stay here as Mourinho will be leaving sooner rather than later.

Loublaze

ATLien
The only trouble for Shaw is Mourinho. It's like he destroyed Mata in Chelsea, who was good enough for them. Shaw is better in every way than Young, like Martial is better than Sanchez, Mctominay and Pogba miles better than Fellaini, only one man in the world would be deluded enough to bench Shaw, Pogba, Martial, Mata, Mctominay and play with worse players. Sadly, he's Man Utd coach.

Everyone says we play better than with Moyes and LVG, but do you think Moyes who played with cleverley alike players would show worse football than we do now, having so much talent on the team? For me, there is better sitting in 3-4 on EPL with good looking football, than in second with terrible football. Mourinho is destroying an opportunity to enjoy football as Man Utd fan.
Whoa there! Young is a much better attacker than Shaw and that comes as no surprise. His crosses are much better than Shaw who is terrible at crosses, and Young can take on players and cause havoc. Defensively Shaw is better but its not even a glaring difference. Martial is definitely not better than Sanchez.

Balljy

I like how people think the problem with Shaw is that the Manager doesn't rate him, and not a 30-something right winger playing at left back.

Ashley Young is just better than him. Luke Shaw is strong and fast, but that's about it. Young is far better going forward, and has shown defensive performances that Shaw could only dream of (even though I think Shaw is generally good defensively).
The bit that does not sit well with me in the comments made by Mourinho yesterday is where he was claiming that they had worked on aggressive movements and to be further up the pitch to support the attack before the match. Then when talking about bringing Shaw off says basically that he was too far up the pitch and let crosses go into the box.

Either he wants his full backs to be aggressive in certain matches which would need other players like Matic to cover when they are out of position or he wants them to sit back with the central defenders. To blame Shaw for not being aggressive enough but then taking him off for not being defensive enough suggests that the actual calls going onto the pitch of how he should play were not what we were told in the press conference...

Roughseas

Whoa there! Young is a much better attacker than Shaw and that comes as no surprise. His crosses are much better than Shaw who is terrible at crosses, and Young can take on players and cause havoc. Defensively Shaw is better but its not even a glaring difference. Martial is definitely not better than Sanchez.
If crosses were the only thing you based the quality of an attacker on, then Young is also better than any of our wingers. Also, I cant remember the last time Young took a defender on. He is as bad at it as Valencia.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The bit that does not sit well with me in the comments made by Mourinho yesterday is where he was claiming that they had worked on aggressive movements and to be further up the pitch to support the attack before the match. Then when talking about bringing Shaw off says basically that he was too far up the pitch and let crosses go into the box.

Either he wants his full backs to be aggressive in certain matches which would need other players like Matic to cover when they are out of position or he wants them to sit back with the central defenders. To blame Shaw for not being aggressive enough but then taking him off for not being defensive enough suggests that the actual calls going onto the pitch of how he should play were not what we were told in the press conference...
That's not what he said...he said Shaw was poor both offensively and defensively. Whereas Valencia was at least good defensively.

During the game he was telling Shaw to go up the pitch to push their fullbacks back.

Mourinho expects his fullbacks to support the team in attack and defence. You have to be able to make the right decisions, of when to push up and when to sit back.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

To be fair to Jose, Shaws positioning is erratic and he does get caught a hell off a lot in his distances up and down the park. He’s also not great holding the defensive line yes this all comes with experience but if we already have a left back who is experienced and playing well then why play Shaw when there are already a few players struggling in the team with form. So is this really Jose failing I don’t think so but we are all desperate for a young guy especially home grown to become part of our core for the next decade but that young player needs to step up quite a bit first imo.

Loublaze

ATLien

This. I saw a lot of this in the match day thread and called them out.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
not a fan of Mourinho at all and dislike his way of treating players.
If he doesn't rate them then don't play them , no need to publicly flog them.

As for Shaw I have never seen anything about him since he turned up at OT to suggest he will make it at the club.
Fact is Young is much more energetic and is the better option.

SATA

Very harsh on Luke. I will be seeking out a move immediately with my agent if i was him and hearing my manager's comments like that. Why not just said it to him in private in the dressing room like he did with Scott?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's pretty obvious all the fans that don't actually know football.

They're just sticking by what the manager says and takes it as gospel. He clearly has an agenda against Shaw, when Young was injured Shaw was impeccable and getting better with every game, he didn't let us down and played about 5 games in 2 weeks, he proved his body was OK.

Then he just dumped him without 2nd thought. That's no way to keep a players faith, no wonder Shaw is disheartened and doesn't want to work hard for Jose.

Last night he singled him out unfairly, yes he could have made a few more forward runs at certain times but it wasn't as bad as he's making out. When he did get forward he kept the width well and supported the attack, he created the room for Matic to swing in the cross.

I feel Mourinho is throwing him under the bus as a martyr, valencia was 10x worse but he didn't take him off.

He actually defended fine as well so I dunno what Jose is on about. Shaw will leave this summer and have a great career elsewhere i'm sure of that.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Terrible terrible man management by Mourinho again. Substituting Shaw at half time did nothing but humiliate the lad.

Young was in no way shape or form better when he came on, so why wasn’t he substituted as well?

spiriticon

When you have FOUR. FOUR previous managers questioning his mentality and fitness at various points in his career, I'm more inclined to believe that it is true. You don't have four managers trying to throw you under a bus at the same time.

I can't believe people keep overlooking that. :houllier:

Sure he had some talent at 18, but so did Ravel Morrison.

SSSSnake

Can’t help but feel sorry for him but at the same time if you aren’t playing to the standard what do you expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.