Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

prath92

Terrible terrible man management by Mourinho again. Substituting Shaw at half time did nothing but humiliate the lad.

Young was in no way shape or form better when he came on, so why wasn’t he substituted as well?
Young put in a good ball for the second which I really doubt Shaw would have

el3mel

Terrible terrible man management by Mourinho again. Substituting Shaw at half time did nothing but humiliate the lad.

Young was in no way shape or form better when he came on, so why wasn’t he substituted as well?
It did assisted our second goal..

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
What? Some of you just make some utterly ridiculous comments.
Shaw did not deserve to be hauled off at half time. Ashley Young was no better when he came on. The only ridiculous thing is what your hero Mourinho did to the lad to humiliate him.

Ace of Spades

He needs to move to a club where he will get game time and with less pressure, so that he can get his career back on track. Kinda like Falcao did at Monaco, hope he can find his mojo again.

The comments by Jose were needlessly harsh, he was no worse than the other players and did not deserve to get singled out like that.

Garethw

It did assisted our second goal..
And for all we know Shaw may have offered even more in the second half. Maybe he would have got an assist or two himself?

Valencia was equally poor, so why wasn’t he substituted at half time too?

Shaw did not deserve to be hauled off at half time. Ashley Young was no better when he came on. The only ridiculous thing is what your hero Mourinho did to the lad to humiliate him.
Shaw was going through the motions.

Look, I desperately wanted Shaw to succeed here and have defended him time and time again, arguing often that he might just need 3 years after breaking his leg literally in half.
That said, the evidence is right there for all to see, he looks completely uninterested. Young looked miles better, and I can't stand seeing Ashley bloody Young as Manchester United's left back.

haram

And for all we know Shaw may have offered even more in the second half. Maybe he would have got an assist or two himself?

Maybe you should read what Mourinho said about both fullbacks after the game.

The Irish Connection

Players like Shaw need to either put the head down and improve on the pitch or move on. Mourinho is using a hard edged approach to managing us. We have improved, but could be a lot better. Either the players knuckle down and it galvanises us more as a group or the whole thing will implode like happened at Chelsea. The way modern footballers are, I can see the latter happening. But the best thing we could do as fans is get behind the team and manager like old Trafford did yesterday and try to help in galvanising.
Mourinho can be fully judged next season after he gets the last 3 or 4 players we need and ships out the under performers, if it doesn't implode before then.

el3mel

You're basing your whole argument on Shaw "may" have offered more than Young assisting the second goal ? :lol:

Garethw

Shaw was going through the motions.

Look, I desperately wanted Shaw to succeed here and have defended him time and time again, arguing often that he might just need 3 years after breaking his leg literally in half.
That said, the evidence is right there for all to see, he looks completely uninterested. Young looked miles better, and I can't stand seeing Ashley bloody Young as Manchester United's left back.
Young is deservedly the undisputed first choice left back at the moment. But the treatment of Shaw yesterday was completely unnecessary.

The lad hasn’t played for weeks and was feeling his way back into the game. He didn’t deserve that treatment at all.

el3mel

The funny thing is, Pep is so demanding that there's no chance he would've given Shaw this many chances, no chance at all.
Shaw would have been out of the club by now if Pep had got the job last year. No chance Pep would have entered the season with this list of fullbacks.

el3mel

Valencia yes, very dependable but Shaw no!
Valencia is dependable, but his lack of buildup from the back would have irritated Pep IMO. He hoofs a lot and to no target quite few times each game.

Anyway better to concentrate on Shaw in this thread.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Young is deservedly the undisputed first choice left back at the moment. But the treatment of Shaw yesterday was completely unnecessary.

The lad hasn’t played for weeks and was feeling his way back into the game. He didn’t deserve that treatment at all.
That's bollocks, he wasn't feeling his way back...he was completely out played by the Brighton right on more than one occasion. They pinpointed that and we were lucky

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Valencia is dependable, but his lack of buildup from the back would have irritated Pep IMO. He hoofs a lot and to no target quite few times each game.

Anyway better to concentrate on Shaw in this thread.
Was thinking about how good he is as a defender

Garethw

You're basing your whole argument on Shaw "may" have offered more than Young assisting the second goal ? :lol:
I’m not basing my argument on anything. My point was that Young was very average (outside of the assist) and no better than Shaw.

I don’t know if you’ve ever played football for a team, but if you have then you will know that it takes time to re-adjust to the team after not playing for weeks. Shaw looked to be finding his feet in that first half after being out of the side for so long and I expected him to play a key role in offering balance on the left in the second half.

Shaw was not Patrice Evra on his debut bad, or anything like that. He didn’t deserve to be humiliated like that. His performance (albeit tepid) did not justify being hauled off.

His career here is finished under a Mourinho, so there is no point in even discussing him. He’ll be kicked out of the club as soon as the transfer window opens.

el3mel

I’m not basing my argument on anything. My point was that Young was very average (outside of the assist) and no better than Shaw.

I don’t know if you’ve ever played football for a team, but if you have then you will know that it takes time to re-adjust to the team after not playing for weeks. Shaw looked to be finding his feet in that first half after being out of the side for so long and I expected him to play a key role in offering balance on the left in the second half.

Shaw was not Patrice Evra on his debut bad, or anything like that. He didn’t deserve to be humiliated like that. His performance (albeit tepid) did not justify being hauled off.

His career here is finished under a Mourinho, so there is no point in even discussing him. He’ll be kicked out of the club as soon as the transfer window opens.
Young wasn't great but he assisted our second goal, something Shaw wouldn't have made and I'm pretty sure of that. Here's the brutal fact: Shaw had only 3 assists in premier league since he emerged on the scene. He has never been a good crosses or creator. He's more of a dribbler.

You can't keep playing player that offers nothing and at the same time kept getting targeted on his flank waiting for him to improve second half. It doesn't make any sense tbh.

The sake of the team is more important than any player.

manunited1919

When he is sold, we need to attach a Sold As-Is rider to his Sales papers, and a few Handle with Care stickers on him. A disclaimer that what you see on the pitch may not be the same as what you see in training might also be appropriate.

But I am sure he will be a great player once he gets a coach who gives him the TLC he seems to need.

Djemba-Djemba

Yet 99.9% of PL footballers are lean and in shape. Aesthetics aside, you can see he isn’t fit by his efforts on the pitch. Constantly arriving late on the scene, at both ends of the pitch. Full-backs arguably need to be the fittest player on the team. A description that will not have been used once about Shaw in his United career.
To prove your point, the one time he put in extra effort to get fit in the Summer of 2015 he started the season brilliantly and looked like the left back we all hoped he'd be. The horror injury ended his season, and he's never got close to that level of fitness since or that level of performance.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So, if a player is playing badly, you think our manager should just keep quiet and keep playing him, because we don't want to hurt the player's feelings?
Is this a serious post?

Jose said that both our full backs were not attacking and that Shaw was getting skinned in the LB area of the pitch. He couldn't take off both full backs, so opted for the worst full back (ie. Shaw).

Shaw needs to lose a lot of weight and needs to show Jose that he is prepared to work hard.
Even P.Scholes stated that Shaw does not live the life of an athlete and looking at Shaw, it's obvious that he doesn't resemble an athlete.

Jose loves a hard worker, even if that player has a poor game. It doesn't take a genius to work this out. Instead, what Shaw does, is put in average performances and get fatter. What manager would be happy with this?

Kostur

海尔的老板
I absolutely love how people come up with some mind boggling ridiculous shit in this thread to defend him. He's out of shape because he doesn't play, he doesn't have a single assist this season yet he's better attacking fullback than Young.

PepsiCola

Just few weeks back when Young was suspended, he was forced to give Shaw game time and he did well. So much so that Jose himself praised him and said he'd get a new contract. What happened as soon as Young served his suspension? Shaw was dropped right off the bat.
His faith in youngsters is all lip service.

marktan

I absolutely love how people come up with some mind boggling ridiculous shit in this thread to defend him. He's out of shape because he doesn't play, he doesn't have a single assist this season yet he's better attacking fullback than Young.
You're the exact same but in slating him though, if you look back through this thread you'll find at least one post by you on every page slating him.

marktan

I'm not making up shit to defend him though, that's the difference.
That's incredibly subjective, you're posting the same sort of bs you're criticising others for. E.g. saying he has no assists vs Young, that's deliberately overlooking 1) He's played in about 6-8 full games all season and 2) That he brings other things to the attack that Young doesn't (e.g. the ability to drive to the byline / provide width, and not be another player that needs to cut in. E.g. Lukaku's goal yesterday - he drove to the byline, taking the defender away, which gave Matic a lot of space). You can say people make up stuff to defend him, but you're the other extreme in that you can do nothing but criticise him.

Seanus

It's a well known fact he has not made 1 goal at United, not 1 in 3 seasons so two in 45 mins is a bit optimistic to say the least. He has had plenty of chances and done nothing of note-perhaps Jose giving him a game yesterday was part of his plan to shut up the Shaw fans (or at least those leaning towards that) by showing them that he brings little to the game.

Kostur

海尔的老板
That's incredibly subjective, you're posting the same sort of bs you're criticising others for. E.g. saying he has no assists vs Young, that's deliberately overlooking 1) He's played in about 6-8 full games all season and 2) That he brings other things to the attack that Young doesn't (e.g. the ability to drive to the byline / provide width, and not be another player that needs to cut in. E.g. Lukaku's goal yesterday - he drove to the byline, taking the defender away, which gave Matic a lot of space). You can say people make up stuff to defend him, but you're the other extreme in that you can do nothing but criticise him.
I'm actually mostly criticising the type of drivel spouted as the bolded part. Young doesn't need to cut in either, he's switching to his better foot most of the time, it's a lot of silly stuff made up just because there's, surprise surprise, nothing to praise Shaw for, unless him losing his tits is something we're going to praise players for nowadays.

Funnily enough, Shaw amassed amazing 4 assists during his United career. But yet people will try to do disservice to Young by claiming some hilarious shit like Shaw being a better attacking fullback.

Loublaze

ATLien
If crosses were the only thing you based the quality of an attacker on, then Young is also better than any of our wingers. Also, I cant remember the last time Young took a defender on. He is as bad at it as Valencia.
We're comparing Young and Shaw, and Young offers way more in attacking buildup and end product than Shaw does. Also, Young has taken on defenders several times this season, you haven't been watching him closely.

arnoldS

He deserved to come off yesterday. I really like this lad but it's simply not good enough. Surely he will be off in the summer now there is no way he will turn this around now.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Whatever about the right and wrongs of the situation, cast your minds back to the Watford game towards the start of Mourinho’s first season, where he called out Shaw for not closing down their winger:

Fast forward well over 18 months and he’s saying:

To his mind, he’s still making the same mistakes and has the same weaknesses. Weaknesses which particularly seem to irk Mourinho.
This response might be a tad random, but the same applies to Pogba so it's probably not even that Mourinho just hasn't got it in for Shaw in particular or something.

Sadly the videos seem to be removed and google isn't helping, but I remember a post match press conference back from 2016 where Mourinho, after praising Pogba for his obvious qualities, mentions he should keep certain things more simple. Throughout last year and the beginning of this season there was more of the same, mentioning how Pogba could be the best in the world if he would do the simple things right, or praising him for certain things but also adding a 'but'...

Obviously this went down until somewhere around the Stoke City match. This was the headline:

Manchester United 3 Stoke City 0: Paul Pogba masterclass brings swagger back

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...stoke-city-premier-league-live-score-updates/

And while it was true, Pogba did indeed give two assists, anyone who's watched that match would also remember the bald cnuty Stephen Ireland.

In the first half he was causing mayhem, getting in behind our midfield and making very dangerous runs into our box. We won that match 3-0 but my suspicion is that Mourinho watched it back and realised we'd be 2-0 down against a better opponent than Stoke with Pogba playing like that, completely unaware defensively and always looking for the difficult solution on the ball. Obviously shortly after Pogba was starting to get benched...

As for Shaw, it's a shame to see him like this because he's clearly very talented. At the same time you could argue that having the right mentality is as much a 'talent' as having the right physical and footballing skills, so maybe instead of calling him 'talented' it's just as fair to say he seems to be lacking actual talent in certain areas.

roseguy64

If Mourinho is fine with his fitness then why do fans keep bringing up how he looks? Considering how harsh he was yesterday he could have easily made that comment too if it was true. Shaw's fitness isn't in question by Mourinho or he'd not have even started. Get off how he looks.

Stubble

Some arguments on here seem to be Shaw needs to play regularly to stay fit and so it's somehow the managers fault. That's crazy -every squad player should be 100 % fit and at optimum weight ready to take their opportunity if it comes along. 4 managers have made comments in relation to his fitness and application levels so this looks like ingrained personality/lifestyle traits now. It's a shame for Shaw but the guy is paid shedloads a week to be 100% fit and ready to play for us - no excuses. I don't think the manager needs to mention his weight it's obvious for all to see there's an issue and those crucifying the manager over his post match comments would take it to the next level if Shaw was 'fat shamed'. The press would have had a field day. It would now be better for Shaw and the club if he moved on - I was a big defender of the guy but how many chances should someone get ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.