Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

gza the genius

He showed at times this season that the potential is still there, for whatever reason though Jose was dead set on starting Young no matter what. If we buy a left back this summer my only hope is that it means Jose is going to trust Shaw much more than he did last season.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He showed at times this season that the potential is still there, for whatever reason though Jose was dead set on starting Young no matter what. If we buy a left back this summer my only hope is that it means Jose is going to trust Shaw much more than he did last season.
Young even out of form can at least cross the ball. Shaw is pretty pointless when in crossing positions.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Doubt that very much, its now been 2 seasons of not being trusted

red4ever 79

That kid is more a left wing, than a left back.
Can play both which is even better. Last season in the championship he played more than 20 games at LB. Swap him with Shaw. It's a win win. We get a very talented young English player, Shaw gets to move back down south. We save some budget in the staff canteen

Mindhunter

What??

Lukaku scored 21 goals with his head out of 101 premier league goals.

20% of goals scored on his head and not really a header of the ball? Really
We are talking about his style (not stats). He has scored headed goals, but he is primarily a different type of a striker than others who need looped crosses into the box from wide players. Lukaku thrives on through balls or balls played to his feet.

Also, 80% of the goals are non-headed. You want to ignore that or continue to torture the data till is does your bidding?

gza the genius

Young even out of form can at least cross the ball. Shaw is pretty pointless when in crossing positions.
Even then, he at least provides some width simply by being left footed. All of our left winger options are right footed forwards who are only ever going to cut inside, Young doing the same thing from behind them leaves us extremely narrow. Even if Shaw's crossing isn't great he'll still hold some width and give the winger some room to work with.

AlexUTD

We are talking about his style (not stats). He has scored headed goals, but he is primarily a different type of a striker than others who need looped crosses into the box from wide players. Lukaku thrives on through balls or balls played to his feet.

Also, 80% of the goals are non-headed. You want to ignore that or continue to torture the data till is does your bidding?
20% is a fair amount scored on the head for a striker, so your point is not valid.

If he had more and better crosses into the box he would score even more on the head.

He is actually one of the better header of the ball in the league.

AlexUTD

Can play both which is even better. Last season in the championship he played more than 20 games at LB. Swap him with Shaw. It's a win win. We get a very talented young English player, Shaw gets to move back down south. We save some budget in the staff canteen
Yeah he can play both but his defensive play is not good enough in my opinion and we know Mourinho's preference.

Mindhunter

20% is a fair amount scored on the head for a striker, so your point is not valid.

If he had more and better crosses into the box he would score even more on the head.

He is actually one of the better header of the ball in the league.
Do you even know what's my point? Or do you want your post to look cool by contradicting something?

Lukaku's primary instincts are to run into space, or get the ball at his feet and shoot. It is not heading the ball into the net. Therefore, we need an LB who can make intelligent runs and creates opportunities from out wide.

AlexUTD

Do you even know what's my point? Or do you want your post to look cool by contradicting something?

Lukaku's primary instincts are to run into space, or get the ball at his feet and shoot. It is not heading the ball into the net. Therefore, we need an LB who can make intelligent runs and creates opportunities from out wide.
Yes i am only contradicting you to look cool.

Lets just agree on disagreeing.

You only go into defensive mode if anyone disagrees. Have a nice summer.

Cliche Guevara

If we’re not going to sell Shaw then we should probably give him a run of games from the start of the season. If not he’s going to find it very difficult to work his way into the side, one way or another.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If we’re not going to sell Shaw then we should probably give him a run of games from the start of the season. If not he’s going to find it very difficult to work his way into the side, one way or another.
Yes. We have done the tough love thing, and it hasn't worked. Either we sell and replace him this window, or we tell him the spot is his and he only have to work hard to keep it and do his best. Give him some confidence and start him, or replace with a player capable of that. Tired of not having a clear choice at lb.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's an incredibly difficult player to sell, for many reasons.
  • Likely doesn't want to leave, will move to a lesser club
  • Will likely be on a big wage
  • Past managers said he's unfit, looks very chunky most the time.
Based on these reasons I doubt he'll go anywhere.
I feel for him a bit, he's extra thick but that just means he needs to work harder than everyone else to stay fit, past seasons suggest he doesn't have it in him though.

criticalanalysis

He's easily the player with the most amount of public criticism from fans and manager with the least amount of playing time.

He's not really had a chance for fans to really say 'he was bad and deserves criticism' unless you count playing one game a month.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's easily the player with the most amount of public criticism from fans and manager with the least amount of playing time.

He's not really had a chance for fans to really say 'he was bad and deserves criticism' unless you count playing one game a month.
In terms of criticism not much more needs to be said than he can't keep himself physically fit. If you're not fit you don't play, that's the bare minimum of being a footballer.

criticalanalysis

In terms of criticism not much more needs to be said than he can't keep himself physically fit. If you're not fit you don't play, that's the bare minimum of being a footballer.
That might be true but we've had plenty of players stink it up on the pitch gaining fitness or starting games for no reason (Fellani against Sevilla) after returning from injury.

Young get suspended, Shaw plays a few decent/even promising games, gets hailed as awesome left back by manager publicly, disappears from the team for months...then get criticised for not being fit and other reasons when he's not on the pitch months down the line.

Andersons Dietician

Pretty sure that just this week I saw he had put holiday pics of him in NY with his girlfriend up. Are the MEN maybe just not confused and he was just working out normally to keep some sort of fitness. When he had that flying start he and Januzaj took one of the United PT’s fitness coaches on holiday. Maybe he has done the same this holiday.

He really should be aiming to hit pre season in top physical condition as that will be his chance and if England go far in the WC he should have a much bigger chance.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Pretty sure that just this week I saw he had put holiday pics of him in NY with his girlfriend up. Are the MEN maybe just not confused and he was just working out normally to keep some sort of fitness. When he had that flying start he and Januzaj took one of the United PT’s fitness coaches on holiday. Maybe he has done the same this holiday.

He really should be aiming to hit pre season in top physical condition as that will be his chance and if England go far in the WC he should have a much bigger chance.
:lol: All the comments on his posts wanting him to 'come to Fenerbahce'

Alabaster Codify7

Yeah, yeah. Bollocks. He'll show up on the bench on August 11th about 3stone overweight and we'll have lost our window of opportunity to sell him for a reasonable price. I hope Jose just cuts the cord, here.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
I'm sure the exact same thing was said this time last year about Shaw working harder to improve his fitness. It doesn't look good that 12 months later he seems to have made no progress whatsoever.

luke511

I'm sure the exact same thing was said this time last year about Shaw working harder to improve his fitness. It doesn't look good that 12 months later he seems to have made no progress whatsoever.
He was on crutches for pre season last year. The last time he had a proper pre season was the season he looked a great player for us.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
He was on crutches for pre season last year. The last time he had a proper pre season was the season he looked a great player for us.
Yeah, I forgot he came back from a long-term injury. So he has made some progress at least! Still, in about 6-8 months (?) from recovering from injury to the end of the season, I don't think he's played more than 2 games back-to-back. Whether that's down to performance or fitness, we don't know. But he still has to improve a lot to have any chance here, and I'm not optimistic.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
That’s the one :lol: what the hell is that all about? Has there been some rumour linking him with moving there.
All the gold and blue hearts as well.
Not to my knowledge. It is weird but on the social media of a lot of footballers who are out of favour you tend to see comments like 'come to Fenerbahce/Galatasaray/Bursaspor'. Same with Zouma, though he was linked with them for some reason.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not to my knowledge. It is weird but on the social media of a lot of footballers who are out of favour you tend to see comments like 'come to Fenerbahce/Galatasaray/Bursaspor'. Same with Zouma, though he was linked with them for some reason.
It's become a Meme nowadays

Devil81

I sure hope he's not gone all inclusive in Greece!!

Imagine how many Gyros the fat lad's got through!!!

R'hllor

He doesnt have a choice, he must in good shape regardless of final outcome at the end of season. Otherwise he wont be able to sell him self high enough.

roseguy64

Yeah, I forgot he came back from a long-term injury. So he has made some progress at least! Still, in about 6-8 months (?) from recovering from injury to the end of the season, I don't think he's played more than 2 games back-to-back. Whether that's down to performance or fitness, we don't know. But he still has to improve a lot to have any chance here, and I'm not optimistic.
He played like 5 or 6 games back to back in a busy period for us last season. All in about 2-3 weeks FFS.

kundalini

He was fit for pre-season during Mourinho's first season at the club. His first appearance came in mid July, four weeks before the new season began (see his 2016/7 performance thread for evidence). He then started the first 5 PL games of the season before being dropped for poor performances against City and Watford.

If you read the Manchester Evening News story carefully, it has been planted by either Shaw's agent or one of his mates. The journalist hasn't actually witnessed him training. There have been numerous similar stories since he joined United.

Last edited:

JohnnyLaw

He was fit for pre-season during Mourinho's first season at the club. His first appearance came in mid July, four weeks before the new season began (see his 2016/7 performance thread for evidence). He then started the first 5 PL games of the season before being dropped for poor performances against City and Watford.

If you read the Manchester Evening News story carefully, it has been planted by either Shaw's agent or one of his mates. The journalist hasn't actually witnessed him training. There have been numerous similar stories since he joined United.
Your entitled to your opinion, as is the manager but it should be pointed out that there's definitely a division of opinions on those performances against City and Watford last season. Quite a few posters were even having him as their MoTM against Watford and he was receiving a decent amount of praise for his performance against City and in general on the caf around that time.

Similarly to this season where he had a good period, receiving much praise on here but Mourinho continually seems to find fault with his performances where fans aren't.

kundalini

Your entitled to your opinion, as is the manager but it should be pointed out that there's definitely a division of opinions on those performances against City and Watford last season. Quite a few posters were even having him as their MoTM against Watford and he was receiving a decent amount of praise for his performance against City and in general on the caf around that time.

Similarly to this season where he had a good period, receiving much praise on here but Mourinho continually seems to find fault with his performances where fans aren't.
That's fair enough. On first viewing I thought he was ok against Watford, though Mourinho's criticism would be fair if Shaw wasn't following the instructions, as he seemed to imply. First half against City Shaw was destroyed, better 2nd half.

Worth noting once again, that Mourinho began his United managerial career with Luke Shaw as his first choice left-back. For whatever reason, he then lost faith in Shaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.