Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FujiVice

People giving Mourinho praise for Shaw's form is hilarious considering if Woodward opened the cheque book up in the summer, Shaw wouldnt be our first choice now. As he pretty much said for months when he talked about how City bought a new back four 18 months ago. If it really took 2 years of being a cnut to a player to improve, then that's shite man management. Solksjaer comes in and within a fortnight he's got Lindelof and Matic playing brilliantly. Two players who were in shocking form.

CM

I wouldn't blame Mourinho too much. Every manager Shaw has ever had has said he has fitness issues, it was getting to be last chance saloon with him. Mourinho had tried to be nice and got nowhere so tough love was called for, and it worked. He's playing better than ever now.
He was a kid recovering from a serious injury and instead of backing him the manager took every opportunity to add fuel to the fire by publicly chastising him. You only have to look at how Solskjaer handles the media now to see how ridiculously antiquated that approach was.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He was a kid recovering from a serious injury and instead of backing him the manager took every opportunity to add fuel to the fire by publicly chastising him. You only have to look at how Solskjaer handles the media now to see how ridiculously antiquated that approach was.
Finally looking like the talent we invested in.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Jesus not this shit again
Perhaps you can cover your ears playground style and it will make it not true. Nobody is saying JM should not have left and things didn’t go as planned, but people on the forum act like kids because they don’t like him, and speak as if we had David Brent in charge for 3 years.

Like it or not, accept it or not, he obviously knows a thing or two about football. He left Shaw out for a while, but he wasn’t rescued from the reserves by Solskjær - he was restored to the team under the former manager and given a new deal too.

Skills

Snitch
Perhaps you can cover your ears playground style and it will make it not true. Nobody is saying JM should not have left and things didn’t go as planned, but people on the forum act like kids because they don’t like him, and speak as if we had David Brent in charge for 3 years.

Like it or not, accept it or not, he obviously knows a thing or two about football. He left Shaw out for a while, but he wasn’t rescued from the reserves by Solskjær - he was restored to the team under the former manager and given a new deal too.
Over the last 5 years of managing he's shown himself to be a completely clueless feckwit in judging young talents (Salah, De Bruyne) and a toxic cnut in general in managing his dressing rooms.

And thankfully he didn't fully get his way for one reason or another, or else we would've seen Shaw and Martial end up with a similar fate.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Over the last 5 years of managing he's shown himself to be a completely clueless feckwit in judging young talents (Salah, De Bruyne) and a toxic cnut in general in managing his dressing rooms.

And thankfully he didn't fully get his way for one reason or another, or else we would've seen Shaw and Martial end up with a similar fate.
That’s all emotional though. The evidence suggests that he DID get his own way with Shaw, as he had already completed his recovery and been restored to the team with a new deal. Perhaps you feel getting a better performing Luke Shaw was never Jose’s intention, fair enough.

Skills

Snitch
That’s all emotional though. The evidence suggests that he DID get his own way with Shaw, as he had already completed his recovery and been restored to the team with a new deal. Perhaps you feel getting a better performing Luke Shaw was never Jose’s intention, fair enough.
His own way with Shaw would've been buying a new LB last summer (it was where all the Alex Sandro speculation stemmed from). The reason Shaw made it back in the team was that Young couldn't make it back in time for the start of the season, Valencia was injured and Blind made his way out. There was no choice left for Mourinho but to play Shaw.

The idea Mourinho somehow developed him (by you know not playing him) is complete bollocks. Shaw was a PFA Team of the Year Full back when he was 17 years old. He's just been wasted behind vastly inferior players for the last few years, because the manager was a complete idiot.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Shaw's attitude was a problem from his first day. Whether Mourinho’s method’s helped or hurt is anyone’s guess. He had opportunities to secure his place before this season and let himself down – Young was objectively the better player last season.

I’m still not even convinced he’s that good. Looked out of his depth in both PSG legs and still offers very little attacking threat beyond running into good areas.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Shaw's attitude was a problem from his first day. Whether Mourinho’s method’s helped or hurt is anyone’s guess. He had opportunities to secure his place before this season and let himself down – Young was objectively the better player last season.

I’m still not even convinced he’s that good. Looked out of his depth in both PSG legs and still offers very little attacking threat beyond running into good areas.
I've seen a few of your posts lately and you're either clueless or a WUM.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Excessive use of smilies

:houllier:

You must watch every match of football drunk as a skunk right?

Last edited by a moderator:

tonnas

You know NOTHING about football.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
He he. Irish Jet. Certainly wumming. Out to give the Irish a bad name. Also Jets.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Okay mates.

He was as bad as Young and Bailly in the first half, nearly allowed them to kill the tie when he miscontrolled a simple ball in the box. Was better in the second half but was horrid in the first 135 mins of the tie.

El-Manos

People giving Mourinho praise for Shaw's form is hilarious considering if Woodward opened the cheque book up in the summer, Shaw wouldnt be our first choice now. As he pretty much said for months when he talked about how City bought a new back four 18 months ago. If it really took 2 years of being a cnut to a player to improve, then that's shite man management. Solksjaer comes in and within a fortnight he's got Lindelof and Matic playing brilliantly. Two players who were in shocking form.
This is a myth, lindelof was already playing well since a while. Matic however has improved massively since Ole took over.

Raven

It wasn't my aim for the post to give a shoutout to every player who is having a good season, but to give recognition to Shaw by comparing him with De Gea (who has been Captain Reliable for several seasons now), and what you call average, is still fairly good to be honest. Lindelöf has without a doubt had his breakthrough season, so I guess I could have mentioned him too. Although Pogba is giving world class performances now, and since Ole, he had an abysmal first part of the season under José, and what|s more important in this discussion and this thread is that Luke stood out even in that period.
Whilst I agree Shaw has been excellent all season and is in contention for player of the season, there is no need to make things up.

Raven

Okay mates.

He was as bad as Young and Bailly in the first half, nearly allowed them to kill the tie when he miscontrolled a simple ball in the box. Was better in the second half but was horrid in the first 135 mins of the tie.
Absolute nonsense. You should invest more time in getting a clue, rather than putting it into posts like this.

Yagami

Good post resistant
His own way with Shaw would've been buying a new LB last summer (it was where all the Alex Sandro speculation stemmed from). The reason Shaw made it back in the team was that Young couldn't make it back in time for the start of the season, Valencia was injured and Blind made his way out. There was no choice left for Mourinho but to play Shaw.

The idea Mourinho somehow developed him (by you know not playing him) is complete bollocks. Shaw was a PFA Team of the Year Full back when he was 17 years old. He's just been wasted behind vastly inferior players for the last few years, because the manager was a complete idiot.
I don't know how anyone could see things differently.

Before this season, he was still putting good performances in but getting dropped because Mourinho didn't like him. Then, as you said, due to the lack of options at the beginning of the season, Mourinho was forced to give him a run in the team and Shaw did what we knew he was capable of doing.

How some still defend Mourinho's management of Shaw is beyond me.

FujiVice

This is a myth, lindelof was already playing well since a while. Matic however has improved massively since Ole took over.
Lindelof wouldnt even start early on in the season in games like Spurs. And he had a shocker in both the City and Liverpool games prior to the new year. He was an inconsistant mess, who'd occassionally show something good. Because he's a good player. But Solksjaer plays him every week, plays him to his strengths and man manages him better. Same with Rashford. Same with Martial. Same with most of the players. Not everyone was shite every week under Mourinho, but he his man management was dreadful.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
@GifLord There was a part towards the end of the 2nd half where we lost the ball and they punted it long, Shaw and a couple others raced to the ball. They had quite a head start but he absolutely flew passed them!. I'd like to see that again as he seemed to come from nowhere.
Before or after the pen?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I've seen a few of your posts lately and you're either clueless or a WUM.
He's not a WUM. He just doesn't like English players it seems like. His posts about Rashford are even more ridiculous.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I don't know how anyone could see things differently.

Before this season, he was still putting good performances in but getting dropped because Mourinho didn't like him. Then, as you said, due to the lack of options at the beginning of the season, Mourinho was forced to give him a run in the team and Shaw did what we knew he was capable of doing.

How some still defend Mourinho's management of Shaw is beyond me.
Write Mourinho's name in your death note imo.

Brightonian

He was probably the most comfortable player on the entire pitch.

It did show weakness of character when he let his leg get smashed to bits at the age of 18 though.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
He was probably the most comfortable player on the entire pitch.
Not even close.

Took an amazing Smalling tackle to save one of his early errors. Had that have been Young he'd be crucified. He recovered in the second half but was all over the place in the first.

Brightonian

Not even close.

Took an amazing Smalling tackle to save one of his early errors. Had that have been Young he'd be crucified. He recovered in the second half but was all over the place in the first.
Well, I dunno what you were watching but I'm gonna go with everyone else in the thread, and you stick to your guns. Even the commentators made a point to say that while Bailly and Young were getting scrambled like eggs by Di Maria and Bernat for the first half hour, Shaw and Rashford were keeping their side of the pitch completely locked down. That was in the first half, when you claim he was 'all over the place.'

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Well, I dunno what you were watching but I'm gonna go with everyone else in the thread, and you stick to your guns. Even the commentators made a point to say that while Bailly and Young were getting scrambled like eggs by Di Maria and Bernat for the first half hour, Shaw and Rashford were keeping their side of the pitch completely locked down. That was in the first half, when you claim he was 'all over the place.'
So I imagined the ball going right under his foot to Alves and then the ball getting squared to Mbappe only for Smalling to make an amazing block? I'm probably also imagining him passing the ball straight to Verratti and PSG breaking on us. The right side being a shambles doesn't improve Shaw's own performance. He locked down nothing.

Brightonian

So I imagined the ball going right under his foot to Alves and then the ball getting squared to Mbappe only for Smalling to make an amazing block? I'm probably also imagining him passing the ball straight to Verratti and PSG breaking on us. The right side being a shambles doesn't improve Shaw's own performance. He locked down nothing.
So you on your lonesome vs everyone else in the thread and the match day commentators. Also the Guardian, who said he 'ended the day as United's best defender', Sky, who gave him 8/10, the Telegraph, likewise... I could go on but you get the picture.

There may have been a misplaced pass or two - this was a day when everyone was making mistakes left right and centre. Verratti kept kicking the ball off the pitch. De Gea with that inexplicable punch at the end. But a misplaced pass or two doesn't undo the fact that he confidently and competently kept Mbappe (when he wasn't switching wings), Alves and eventually Meunier very quiet. All PSG's threat came down the other side or through the middle.

arthurka

I had given up on Shaw after an underwhelming 4 seasons here (with some mitigating circumstances) but he’s now looking like our long-term solution at leftback. United player. Well done to him for sticking at it.
Same here, was even going on getting Chilwell to replace him :houllier:.

Red_toad

Quite scary to think people here wanted to get rid for Danny Rose! :houllier::houllier:
Amazed at how many wanted him gone period.
Easy to see how good he can be. Once he’s focused he’s a magnificent player. Right manager with the right tactics and he’s on fire.

Red_toad

Let’s not forget Sandro was trying to get a better deal at Juve. Speculation isn’t always truthful.
Jose was a long time admirer of Shaw. You don’t agree with how he managed him fair do’s but it’s garbage to make out he wanted him to fail...

AR87

Just do the Caf a favor and delete your account.

SungSam7

What? Shaw was a good player before his injury, in fact, he looked the real deal! Mourinho did nothing to help Shaw, he chose Rojo for LB at one stage for god sake! He often criticized Shaw to the media and the reports coming from the camp about bullying going on, I am not even surprised. When Shaw started to show form, Mourinho basically took the credit saying he had to hold his hand during games.

To say Shaw looked out of his depth against PSG in the second legs of all matches, do yourself a favour and go watch baseball. While the midfield along with Young were losing any sense of composure, Luke installed some sort of calmness by rarely giving the ball away. He was trying to pick out smart short passes rather than kick the ball upfield.

Maybe you might have an idea of a better player we could replace him with (realistically).

yfoFC

What’s all this ‘and to think Jose wanted him gone :lol:‘ business about? He signed a new 5 year deal and got back into the team under Mourinho, not Solskjaer.

A five-year deal and salary that I seem to remember many of the caf esteemed questioning at the time and using as a means to attack both Jose and Woodward.
It's the same with Martial, would you give the manager the credit just because the French kid ended up forcing his way into the starting eleven at the end of Jose's reign and just discount all the nonsense he had been doing prior to that point?

If you don't give Jose the credit for Martial's turnaround then I don't see why you should do same for shaw

And people forget this point
Funny to read the first 10 pages of this thread and his thread for last season.. a lot of people writing him off.

Feel like there's been a lot of wasted time with Shaw. He had that period over Dec/Jan 2018 where he was very good, but Mourinho benched him as soon as Young came back.
Shaw did play well when called upon last season but wasn't given a fair chance and with that famous quote that Jose was providing the "brains" behind Shaw's performance. Maybe it's Ole's brain shaw is using now perhaps?

No matter how you slice or dice it, Jose was horrible in his treatment of shaw and no credit should go to him for his form (same as Martial's)

Status
Not open for further replies.