Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Thought he was decent, then he was very good, then he was poor. Pretty good overall performance, should be his standard game this.

el3mel

Yeah he was decent today. Not good going forward but defended well. Previously he was poor on both sides of the pitch so today was better.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yes, he offers hardly anything going forward, but I don't think he was really asked to contribute much in the final third today. His job seemed to be to keep Traore quiet and he largely did. I think he got done once for pace (which is understandable). His positioning was uncharacteristically good today, he helped others out when out of position and he generally played a clever game. I was pleased with what I saw. And I am one who thinks his time here is pretty much done. If he'd perform at this level consistently, I'd be happy. He'd be similar to AWB, great defensively, hardly anything going forward. A great tactical option, but maybe not for every occasion.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Very good! He coped with Adama very well. Better than AWB that time Adama played on the left against us.

Beyond the half way line, he’s absolutely dog shit. He’s woefully slow, takes too many touches and has no idea about positioning
He's got a poor final ball, granted, but he's one of our only players who can pass forwards in the build-up and can play in tight spaces. He also probably created our only decent chance of the game with that cutback to Bruno in the 1st half.

Kostov

Solid game, but the issue with him like most of the time is that he can do more, but looks like he plays with 60% focus which will cost him long term.

el3mel

Maybe he finally discovered his favorite position. Looks a potentially good CB.

marktan

He's chunky lump that's very good on the ball. He may have been good as a LB at Southampton, but now he's too stocky and too reluctant to run at full pace to really be an attacking full back for us.

Maybe a CB since he is a good defender? But then a bit of a waste of his ball playing ability. I reckon SAF would've given him a go at midfield.

LCB does suit him, but we only really play that way when we have 50 injuries.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Brilliant.

As a lot of us said, he'd make a fine CB because of his qualities.

Zlatan Ibrahomovic

Like Van Gaal said, one of the best players in the team. Great first touch, toughness, speed, ability to read the game (apart from the one brainfart). One of the reasons to tune into a United game when he plays like this.

arthurka

Looked excellent today.
Do you think so? If Giroud didn't have size 20 boots they would have scored due to Shaw's absolute lack of defensive awareness. Please look at him going forward to a covered area and then loosing his man and like always never stopping a cross into the box. He is a less of a liability as a CB than a fullback I will give him that.

izec

He played as a LCB, and has 2 CBs and a LWB to help him out and hide his weaknesses a bit.

The issue is, he isnt good enough as a CB (in a back four) and isnt good enough as a LB/LWB offensively.

Raven

Do you think so? If Giroud didn't have size 20 boots they would have scored due to Shaw's absolute lack of defensive awareness. Please look at him going forward to a covered area and then loosing his man and like always never stopping a cross into the box. He is a less of a liability as a CB than a fullback I will give him that.
One chance conceded against a team who are 3 points ahead of us? Is that what makes a bad player these days? The number of good things he did today yet your calling him out for one moment.

arthurka

One chance conceded against a team who are 3 points ahead of us? Is that what makes a bad player these days? The number of good things he did today yet your calling him out for one moment.
Come on he did defend in a back 5 with a deep cm in there as well. Like I said he did ok but this mistake wasn't anything new from Shaw.. But this isn't based on this one mistake it's based on him doing something like this almost every game he plays.

Nick7

He made a single mistake that didn’t get punished. That doesn’t outweigh everything else he did.

thepolice123

Showed his class today. Great first touch under pressure, always looking to play the ball out of defence and decision making is spot on.

youngrell

I like him in this position/formation. He presses aggressively out of defence when he plays in a 3 and weirdly seems to have more intensity in his forward runs. His good first touch is also an asset when he intercepts and can then pick out a pass quickly.

Raven

Come on he did defend in a back 5 with a deep cm in there as well. Like I said he did ok but this mistake wasn't anything new from Shaw.. But this isn't based on this one mistake it's based on him doing something like this almost every game he plays.
I suggest you try watching other teams a bit more regularly, most "top" players have moments like that fairly regularly. It's what happens at the most competitive level.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s still got quality, good at LCB and is still our best LB too.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Very good tonight. His performances have steadily been improving. A Luke Shaw at his best will be a huge boon for us.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he's going to be a LCB then he needs to muscle up like Lukaku because he has the pace.

Andersons Dietician

Is it just me or was he generally better than Williams when he actually went forward. Went beyond Williams a good few times and made good runs. Had that one mighty way word final ball when trying to pick out James.

Made one tiny mistake where he went out with William and wasn’t in a great position to get back at Mount was it. Made however way more great defensive actions than that one fault. That diving header where he put himself in harms way to get it out. Good interceptions, tackles and passing. Solid performance. Do England still play with a back 3?

lRed

Impressed by his performances at LCB with 3 defenders at the back.
He was that good at Anfield recently, maybe Solskjaer is on something there.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I think the left of a back 3 is the position he can excel in. I have said as much since he was brought in, I don't know if he would have it in him too fill in as a pure CDM as well but it wouldn't surprise me if he could. He is a very good footballer but as someone stated above, unless we committ 100% too this back 3 schtick then we won't see the absolute best out of him.

sherrinford

You need to look at that moment again - he didn’t move into a covered area and he didn’t lose his man. It was Matic’s error, clearly.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fair fecks to him he looked fit as ever today. Really looked like an athlete that can still provide sparks at the 90th minute. Good engine on him today and that rarely gets said about him this season.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Not sure he's ever going to be the answer, but he definitely has the second best first touch at our club (Mata). It's simply ridiculous how easily he brings the ball down.

Raven

Not sure he's ever going to be the answer, but he definitely has the second best first touch at our club (Mata). It's simply ridiculous how easily he brings the ball down.
Yeah, his technical ability is a joy to watch.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
When I'm watching him play, sometimes he does something that is good good technically, that I'm left thinking, is this guy really only a LB? I remember when he plucked the ball out of the air against Pool at Anfield lately effortlessly, a la Bergkamp.

But then sometimes his positional awareness is so poor again I'm left thinking to myself is this guy really a top level LB?

I think technically and in terms of pure ability, he's probably one of the best in our squad, but some of his mental and physical attributes really don't allow him to be as good as he should have been. I don't think he'll ever end up a world class player for us, but he seems to have found a position that masks his deficiencies and highlight his strengths as a LCB and he could do a decent job for us in big games when we play this formation. He was very good last night, as he was against Pool and City in the league, so it seems he turns up for the big games.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's been good in 2020 so far, I'd argue it's probably about time we switched back to a back 4 and put him back at LB, give him a chance to win his place back.

romufc

He's been good in 2020 so far, I'd argue it's probably about time we switched back to a back 4 and put him back at LB, give him a chance to win his place back.
We only play a back 5 against the top teams because of the lack of numbers in midfield and upfront.

Fans always have a go at him, he is a player who loves the club and will do everything he can.

He has been injured on /off, he needs regular game time and we will see the best of him.

Competition for his place will also make him a better player.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We only play a back 5 against the top teams because of the lack of numbers in midfield and upfront.

Fans always have a go at him, he is a player who loves the club and will do everything he can.

He has been injured on /off, he needs regular game time and we will see the best of him.

Competition for his place will also make him a better player.
We've got no evidence he loves the club and I find his effort to be often lacking, probably my biggest criticism of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.