Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GledTheRed

Thought he was decent, lovely touch and crisp passing.

You guys wanna hate then get in the Dan James thread where it's fully deserved.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He is 25 and still hasn't got a clue how to move.
Not just attacking wise(which is quite obvious), there was one Chelsea attack where he decided he is defensive midfielder who wandered almost to the right back position and completely left left side unmarked, but luckily Lindelof saved him.
To be fair the reason he moved into that position is that he was the only one in position to chase and put pressure on the ball carrier. If he'd just let the ball carrier (I can't remember who it was) go and moved back to the fullback spot he'd be getting blamed for letting the guy run into completely open space in front of our defence. Once he got into that position he and Lindelof had it under control, but for some reason Maguire also moved closer to them instead of covering the player coming in on the back post.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I thought that was very interesting, he was expecting the run but he stood there and didnt move. I wonder if that's him being lazy or our players being told to defend first and not gamble (appreciate that incident was not a huge gamble btw...)
My impression is that he felt it was too late to make that run as he was too far away to get there before Bruno had to get rid of it because of the defenders. As such he may as well at least make himself useful as a passing option by staying where he was. Of course he should have been making that run earlier before Bruno told him...

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
To be fair the reason he moved into that position is that he was the only one in position to chase and put pressure on the ball carrier. If he'd just let the ball carrier (I can't remember who it was) go and moved back to the fullback spot he'd be getting blamed for letting the guy run into completely open space in front of our defence. Once he got into that position he and Lindelof had it under control, but for some reason Maguire also moved closer to them instead of covering the player coming in on the back post.
Yeah, I don't mind that he followed that player when he had the ball, but marking just that player for entire attack was bizzare because Chelsea player passed the ball to their left after that, and he stayed there in no mans land. Maguire's positioning was wrong too, I agree, it's nice that you remember the attack.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
My impression is that he felt it was too late to make that run as he was too far away to get there before Bruno had to get rid of it because of the defenders. As such he may as well at least make himself useful as a passing option by staying where he was. Of course he should have been making that run earlier before Bruno told him...
There was a moment when Greenwood was attacking from out wide, it seemed like he was waiting for AWB overlap which never came.

I think full backs were just instructed to stay back. What makes sense if you have quality up front, not much sense with James and Mata.

Great in midweek but poor today, especially on the ball.
My sentiments too. Not brave enough on the ball to spot runs down the left from Bruno, Rashford or James. Not brave enough to consistently show for the overlap. Was brilliant as a LCB against Paris but I feel Telles is a better choice for when we are at home.

yamo123x

Laziest full back ive seen, strolls about, passes back mostly and offers zero forward play, just glad we got telles

izec

Laziest full back ive seen, strolls about, passes back mostly and offers zero forward play, just glad we got telles
Ole has to play him, having him in the squad is not enough. I am curious to see how long it will take for Ole to drop Shaw and play Telles in an important game (PL, CL) when we play a back 4.

Andersons Dietician

Sorry but what game were people watching? Was basically the only one putting any attacking intent in to our play in the first half even if Dan James is where every move goes to die.
The one mistake he did make was when he got the wrong side of Reece James and pulled him back. Other than that again covered for Maguire when he got himself in a mess and somehow managed to deal with two attackers on his side by himself as Rashford and James weren’t much help there.
Bruno asking for the run at the end when Shaw was the last line of defence, simply a bit stupid by Bruno and the right choice by Shaw.

KennyBurner

Sorry but what game were people watching? Was basically the only one putting any attacking intent in to our play in the first half even if Dan James is where every move goes to die.
The one mistake he did make was when he got the wrong side of Reece James and pulled him back. Other than that again covered for Maguire when he got himself in a mess and somehow managed to deal with two attackers on his side by himself as Rashford and James weren’t much help there.
Bruno asking for the run at the end when Shaw was the last line of defence, simply a bit stupid by Bruno and the right choice by Shaw.
What about the other time when Rashford asked? he is a lazy player and his days are numbered.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Thought he was rubbish. Hope to see Telles starting next tim.

youmeletsfly

What about the other time when Rashford asked? he is a lazy player and his days are numbered.
He was right not to overlap there. If the pass doesn't hit the whole left flank till the keeper is left open, jesus.

Irwin99

The yellow card was a case of old habits (pulling opponent's shirt after being done). Was ok otherwise. Still don't think he's ever going to be a world class left back.

spiriticon

Even if Shaw overlapped he can't fecking cross it in to save his life anyway, so he made the right decision considering his limitations.

Based Adnan

Can't wait till hes no longer first choice left back. Can't do the basics required of a left back at a big club. Multiple times he should have overlapped but just chose to stay in position for the pass back.

Based Adnan

He was right not to overlap there. If the pass doesn't hit the whole left flank till the keeper is left open, jesus.
You do realize just because he overlaps it doesn't mean he has to be given the ball right...? By him overlapping it takes away 1 of the 2 men doubling up on Bruno.

youmeletsfly

You do realize just because he overlaps it doesn't mean he has to be given the ball right...? By him overlapping it takes away 1 of the 2 men doubling up on Bruno.
Him overlapping leaves 1 defender alone in case of a counter.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's genuinely good on the left of a back 3. As a left back in a 4.... well you really need a quality left winger that holds width so you don't need to use him offensively, because he's useless. Getting pretty slow too.

arthurka

Thought he was decent, lovely touch and crisp passing.

You guys wanna hate then get in the Dan James thread where it's fully deserved.
The amount of stick AWB gets for his attacking game is amazing but this guy has been hovering around here for 6 years and there has always been an excuse ready for him. He offers nothing forward and is a liability defensively and finally people have realized this. In 161 appearances in the PL he has 7 assists and 1 goal.. AWB has the same in just 81 games. He is such a fraud of a player and is never fit he is always out of breath around the 75th minute.

Will Singh

I’ve hold back from criticising him ever since he broke he’s leg as it was a nightmare tackle and he was young and was doing well. I just can’t feel sorry for him any longer the guy is just absolutely useless. Every time he get the ball he just looks for the easy pass back, he can’t cross the ball to save he’s life. The sooner we get rid the better or he will be Phill Jones 2.0

OrcaFat

He played well yesterday. But I did feel he took the safe option a little too often. He is capable of a lot more going forward but does seem reluctant to take risks positionally. Perhaps he’s not comfortable with the cover in behind him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Even if Shaw overlapped he can't fecking cross it in to save his life anyway, so he made the right decision considering his limitations.
Yeah but him overlapping drags one defender out of position and opens up space for whoever is playing on that side. If he stands still, James and Azpi find it easier to defend against one player.

Kag

Just popping in to say that anybody who thinks that overlap was on is off their bloody rocker. Take up tiddlywinks.

For those unaware, this is in reference to the video circulating on Twitter surrounding Shaw’s lack of an overlap for Bruno.

Shaw must do more going forward; that’s obvious. But that particular video is a terrible example to use.

432JuanMata

The best thing about improving our squad in the summer it seems to give certain players a kick. Shaw looked good tonight also Degea looking like him old self. So Henderson and Telles are making the other players better.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Surprised with the praise, I thought he was pretty much the same as in previous games. Solid defensively, doing very little offensively, giving the ball away a couple of times.

His crossing is definitely NOT good though.

Surprised with the praise, I thought he was pretty much the same as in previous games. Solid defensively, doing very little offensively, giving the ball away a couple of times.

he put in some decent balls tonight. The most important thing is that he is crossing, which he hasn't been doing previously.

thepolice123

Tbf he is a pretty good crosser. There’s a reason why he takes free kicks when its on the left flank.

Nick7

He put in some very good balls today. He just usually doesn’t cross at all.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Some good quality crosses today. Must have learnt few things in training from Telles.

Status
Not open for further replies.