Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxbatt

he did put in a few good crosses but was poor in the first half especially. He will not go forward into the space and that holds up our attack.

The United

he did put in a few good crosses but was poor in the first half especially. He will not go forward into the space and that holds up our attack.
Because he didn't need to. Pogba and Martial were playing ahead. No need to commit forward when we were comfortable and the game plan was just to contain them.

Ekeke

Our big ball winner on the night and covered 2nd largest distance in the team after Fred. Bet the people who call him "fat" and complain he doesnt run enough couldnt run that much in a match

Handré1990

So, Shaw can cross, he just chooses not to, for some reason :lol: Excellent game from him. Ran all day. Can’t ask for much more really.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He seemed really sharp like the rest of the team. He was fired up out there. He has a lot of attributes but in my opinion, defensively out wide he has left a lot to be desired at times which makes little sense because when he is sharp like this, he is supposed to be unbeatable 1vs1 with his pace and power. He has lost a bit of that grit honestly but it came back today. Hopefully it's back for good.

klayton88

So, Shaw can cross, he just chooses not to, for some reason :lol: Excellent game from him. Ran all day. Can’t ask for much more really.
It's funny how he starts crossing the ball when we just signed a player for his position that can cross a ball. It's a direct result of signing Telles. No doubt in my mind. Competition for places is a real motivator. I'm glad he's crossed a few but also pissed off with how cowardly he's been with the ball for most of his career here.

Handré1990

It's funny how he starts crossing the ball when we just signed a player for his position that can cross a ball. It's a direct result of signing Telles. No doubt in my mind. Competition for places is a real motivator. I'm glad he's crossed a few but also pissed off with how cowardly he's been with the ball for most of his career here.
Yeah, I had the same thought. There was good curl on some of those as well!

MattofManchester

It seems I'm in the minority, but given how good the team was, he stood out as the weak link in the team, most definitely in the first and early into the second, before really stepping his game up later.

In my opinion, he had a lot of the blame in the first for our failure to build from the back because of how much he was dallting and slowing down the game in the first and forcing others to come to him before passing into the crowd, especially regarding Pogba and Maguire. It was rinse and repeat for that entire half from him.

On the other hand, after the 60th minute in the second half shows what he can do, but he did have a lot of time to put those crosses in, if we're being fair, but defensively he became more aware and started intercepting balls that he wasn't doing in the first half.

It does however, show how very good our team can be with a quality left back.

We also saw why our gamenplan doesnt involve crossing, when four of our players managed to completely miss a single ball.

crossy1686

career ending
I just don't understand why Shaw can't be more consistent? Or most of the team for that matter. Is his and their confidence that fragile after years of abuse?

Aint gota Kalou

I just don't understand why Shaw can't be more consistent? Or most of the team for that matter. Is his and their confidence that fragile after years of abuse?
It's really frustrating because he has the talent to be a really top left back. His touch, passing, ability to dribble from deep can all be quality. It must be a mentality issue as sometimes he's just not all there.

arnie_ni

It seems I'm in the minority, but given how good the team was, he stood out as the weak link in the team, most definitely in the first and early into the second, before really stepping his game up later.

In my opinion, he had a lot of the blame in the first for our failure to build from the back because of how much he was dallting and slowing down the game in the first and forcing others to come to him before passing into the crowd, especially regarding Pogba and Maguire. It was rinse and repeat for that entire half from him.

On the other hand, after the 60th minute in the second half shows what he can do, but he did have a lot of time to put those crosses in, if we're being fair, but defensively he became more aware and started intercepting balls that he wasn't doing in the first half.

It does however, show how very good our team can be with a quality left back.
Thats because hes the out ball. When maguire lindeloff matic and fred are in trouble they just pass to shaw because he's so comfortable on the ball. He can take it under pressure with attackers on top of him.

Andersons Dietician

You can tell he, Martial and Pogba like playing together. Some of the quick one two stuff in tight spaces was pretty good. Trust each other and know they can find the pass, the space, under pressure.

It was almost like that first set play where he found Maguire kind of gave him confidence to start whipping balls in. Seen previously he can deliver good crosses he just for whatever reason doesn’t cross that often and prefers to look for cutbacks or passes. However tonight there were a few decent balls he put in.

That shot he took trying to bend in the top corner that was travelling. He also handled that Nkuku was it like he was nothing.

Idxomer

I'm surprised people aren't more sympathetic towards him, he got his leg broken at 20 and it took him a while after that to get over his injuries and fitness issues while having a manager who publicly humiliated him on more than one occasion.

For the last 2 seasons, he's been consistently one of our most reliable performers but every time he has a subpar game, he receives abuse that doesn't really correlate much with what he usually has to offer the team. He's also still only 25.

croadyman

Yeah will give him credit for some quality balls into the box,must have been watching Alex in training pre covid and rubbed off on him

Grande

I'm surprised people aren't more sympathetic towards him, he got his leg broken at 20 and it took him a while after that to get over his injuries and fitness issues while having a manager who publicly humiliated him on more than one occasion.

For the last 2 seasons, he's been consistently one of our most reliable performers but every time he has a subpar game, he receives abuse that doesn't really correlate much with what he usually has to offer the team. He's also still only 25.
Good summary.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

People see him as "fat" Luke Shaw and since then he's become a joke - similarly like Chris Smalling. Once you get a public reputation it seems very hard to come back from that, even if you play to a good level.

I think it can be a little frustrating that he is somethings only playing to 75% of his abilities also. He doesn't seem to like running with the ball and would rather pass backwards at times, but when he does run with it he's almost impossible to stop. Maybe he gets a bit worried about his leg after what happened last time.

Devil may care

One of the better players in red today, defended fine and passed it well enough in his channel.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He played very well. It’s interesting the way he takes so many dead balls. Thought we were heading for another “Phil Jones on corners” meme but Shaw’s delivery has been surprisingly good.
Shaw has taken them a few times before, I think usually when he’s the only left footer out there. Started 2 years ago under Mourinho, played in a couple good corners against Valencia I believe.

He was quite good again today.

Andersons Dietician

Again put in some tasty crosses and not just the deliveries from set plays. Fave moment might have been where he smashed Bellerin then just stood over him like “whaaaat?” Some good bits of defending as well. Spent most the game having to leave William to get out to stop Bellerin but I do think he should have done better to stop that ball through from William for the penalty.

Just seems to be the way defending is down now, more about showing people down the line and just making it hard for the ball to go in to force the attacker to try and take you on. No one really seems to be that aggressive anymore.

Mickson

He played very well. It’s interesting the way he takes so many dead balls. Thought we were heading for another “Phil Jones on corners” meme but Shaw’s delivery has been surprisingly good.
He barely was on Arsenal's half and he is a left-back for Manchester United. No point as usual. Standards.

3KDré

It’s strange to see that he can put a quality cross in when it’s from a set piece but rarely does it from open play, which makes me think there’s a lack of bodies in the box to receive it. I do remember Ole acknowledging were not a team that crosses much but surely you should try to add many types of goals to our repertoire as possible?

Mickson

Average position in line with Mason Greenwood and stats say the most progressive passer in the side.

Made up shit as usual. Standards.
Okay, he made passes that crossed the half-line. My point still stands, he is way too poor for being a left-back for Manchester United. Just look at his stats for goals and assists. Shocking. But what's more shocking is that we accept that standard.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Okay, he made passes that crossed the half-line. My point still stands, he is way too poor for being a left-back for Manchester United. Just look at his stats for goals and assists. Shocking. But what's more shocking is that we accept that standard.
Your point doesn’t stand for anything. You claimed he barely went into their half when his average position was in their half in line with our forwards. So your points stands to be completely wrong.

You’ve now had to switch your moaning to something else because your first post was proven to be made up bullshit.

What’s shocking is how you can blatantly make shit up and show you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about or what happened in a match and then still somehow think you’re right. Standards.

Raven

Your point doesn’t stand for anything. You claimed he barely went into their half when his average position was in their half in line with our forwards. So your points stands to be completely wrong.

You’ve now had to switch your moaning to something else because your first post was proven to be made up bullshit.

What’s shocking is how you can blatantly make shit up and show you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about or what happened in a match and then still somehow think you’re right. Standards.
God dayum!

OhGee

Don’t you hate these agendas that some so called fans have against our players. I’ll bet a lot of Luke Shaw haters will continue to criticize him yet they saw far up the likes of Mctominay and Maguires backs that they can’t smell the coffee...

mewnew11

Standout player tonight. Pleased to see him get an assist.
One assist in a season. He just doesn't have the tools going forward. I can't wait for telles to take his spot. Simply keeps crossing balls or playing them back to midfield. We have both full back who are a liability against low block teams.
Shaw's defensive game use to be ace but even that is lacking these days

Oldyella

Compared to what was going on around him I thought he did ok. Hes no lung busting full back but hes very good at receiving and recycling the ball under pressure which no on else in our back 4 can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.