Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

There comes a point where you say enough is enough. Alot of our players we think are better than they are.

If we have ambitions of winning big trophies, Shaw needs to be replaced, simple as that. I do not think he has the mentality to be a top player.

He has 6 months of form then 2 years to live of that 6 months of good form.

red4ever 79

There comes a point where you say enough is enough. Alot of our players we think are better than they are.

If we have ambitions of winning big trophies, Shaw needs to be replaced, simple as that. I do not think he has the mentality to be a top player.

He has 6 months of form then 2 years to live of that 6 months of good form.
Agree I am in the we need to replace Luke Shaw side of the fanbase now. If we want to get back to winning titles then we need a better LB. 6 years here and maybe you could scrape together 1 year of top form. Not enough and not consistent enough

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Luke Shaw this season has been a massive culprit to us conceding goals this season, really thought the guy turned a corner during the Euros. He's been at fault for so many goals, I still think he's been pretty decent on the ball but off-the-ball the same questions still remain. Sometimes he's just nowhere to be seen when we're being counter-attacked. Just doesn't seem like he has it in him to run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes the way Evra used to. I feel this is a problem position, that needs to be addressed right after the central midfield. It's really hard to understand how his form has fell of a cliff so much, at one point people were talking about him with Robertson.

el3mel

That lad thought he had done it all thanks to all the praise last summer. He thought that he had proved Mourinho wrong so he has nothing else to prove. All tis got into his head.

Someone needs to slap him and reminds him he has done feck all in his career, that he's 26 years old and probably played only 2 good seasons in his whole career.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah he's been pretty woeful. It's lower on the pecking order and a position where you can at least hope he gets back to form that he showed in the past though. I'd guess order of priority in the squad would be:
  1. DM
  2. Striker
  3. CM
  4. RW (competition or starter, replacing Greenwood essentially)
  5. RB
  6. LB
  7. GK
  8. CB
  9. CAM
  10. LW
Basically the top 4 positions after the expected summer transactions we will just have nobody (as starter or as depth), while the bottom 6 at least we have 2 players per position at a decent level or a clear and settled starter.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sigh, so now we need a new left back.

Meaning this summer we need a Defensive mid, a striker, a centre back, a left back, a right back, a ..etc etc etc...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Sigh, so now we need a new left back.

Meaning this summer we need a Defensive mid, a striker, a centre back, a left back, a right back, a ..etc etc etc...
Not necessarily, maybe the answer is coaching, the system or motivation but I don't think it should be ignored that he can get away with some of the performances he's given, we should be expecting more from him. Brandon Williams has been doing good on loan recently I've heard, so that's something to consider.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not necessarily, maybe the answer is coaching, the system or motivation but I don't think it should be ignored that he can get away with some of the performances he's given, we should be expecting more from him. Brandon Williams has been doing good on loan recently I've heard, so that's something to consider.
Williams is right footed and should never have been on the left. He's no Irwin.

Maybe simply bring Telles in if Shaw makes mistakes.

talking robot

I agree he hasn't been good enough this season or over the past few seasons. We probably need an upgrade, but I doubt it will be this summer as there are more pressing issues. Wan Bissaka will probably be sold before Shaw.

Judas

Open to offers
Truth be told he's had small pockets of great form in his Utd career, but overall he's been a let down more often than not. Every time you think he's turned a corner and this is going to be the new normal for him, he sinks back into being pretty simply put very average.

sherrinford

The last two goals are a result of Varane bizarrely deciding to abandon his man and confront an opponent in a less threatening position. On the back foot, with an opposition player in possession with time and space, you do not step up/ hold the line and try to play offside, you drop in, track runner and delay the attack. If anything, Shaw is the only defender who did not make an error for these goals.

Salah was left in acres because as a team we were being tore to shreds and he was drawn infield as player after player ahead of the defence were bypassed and taken out of the game. A perfectly natural thing to do.

He started the season terribly, but his performances - while still not close to his best - have stabilised. There's no need to blame him for goals that weren't his fault.

city-puma

He and Maguire were burned out after euro. The mistakes he did can be corrected. The coaches need to work it out with the team. He has been getting better gradually. Let’s see for the rest of the season.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
He and Maguire were burned out after euro. The mistakes he did can be corrected. The coaches need to work it out with the team. He has been getting better gradually. Let’s see for the rest of the season.
He was also injured with a broken rib and other things and had to play as Telles was out

Irwin99

He's always been a patchy player who seems to have a good period of form and then falls off a cliff when things aren't going right. Fitness and loss of concentration seem to be his two biggest problems ...

...and that shirt pulling he does that's resulted in a billion yellow cards down the years is really annoying. In an age where people are cruelly mocked with YouTube videos of their worst moments i'm actually shocked no one's done a video on it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The last two goals are a result of Varane bizarrely deciding to abandon his man and confront an opponent in a less threatening position. On the back foot, with an opposition player in possession with time and space, you do not step up/ hold the line and try to play offside, you drop in, track runner and delay the attack. If anything, Shaw is the only defender who did not make an error for these goals.

Salah was left in acres because as a team we were being tore to shreds and he was drawn infield as player after player ahead of the defence were bypassed and taken out of the game. A perfectly natural thing to do.

He started the season terribly, but his performances - while still not close to his best - have stabilised. There's no need to blame him for goals that weren't his fault.
When you’re the only player dropping in and end up playing someone onside…..it’s not the other players. It’s a regular issue that Shaw has.

izec

The state his body is in tells me everything i need to know. We don't have to talk about form or injuries, he is just not professional in terms of diet and training. I dont see the hunger and mentality, but then again, we have no standards these days. As a LB to be in the state he is in nowadays, we are not in the 90's anymore.

Lentwood

You're right but I wouldn't bother trying to explain it to people on this forum. You're wasting your time. The level of tactical understanding and football nous basically amounts to blaming every goal we concede on Shaw or Maguire.

crossy1686

career ending
I've never really thought Shaw was anything more than an okay left back during his time at United. He has pockets of great form and is decent going forward but he leaves a lot to be desired, and his positional play is poor.

He had a good season last season but I think it was mainly due to Maguire covering him when he was caught short and also telling him when to go and when to stay. I don't think there's any coincidence they're both bang out of form at the same time.

We need an upgrade in his position for sure, but we have bigger issues in the squad right now. It doesn't matter how good or bad the defence is if we can't hold the ball in the middle of the park.

Red_toad

The state his body is in tells me everything i need to know. We don't have to talk about form or injuries, he is just not professional in terms of diet and training. I dont see the hunger and mentality, but then again, we have no standards these days. As a LB to be in the state he is in nowadays, we are not in the 90's anymore.
Some of the best left backs that have ever played were plying their trade in the 90’s. Piss poor point you have there, as Shaw is in no way comparable with them, Shaw is very good when he’s focused, but thus far in his career hasn’t really maintained that focus.

Marwood

Why do so many think footballers in the 90's were fat layabouts? :lol:

Irwin, Parker, Neville's, they could run all day.

Classical Mechanic

Why do so many think footballers in the 90's were fat layabouts? :lol:

Irwin, Parker, Neville's, they could run all day.
In Lee Sharpe’s autobiography he detailed a typical drinks order for the United team when they went out. It went something like this

Palister - pint of bitter
Giggs - bottle of Becks
Sharpe - bottle of Becks
Cantona - Champagne
The Neville brothers - Diet Coke

sherrinford

When you’re the only player dropping in and end up playing someone onside…..it’s not the other players. It’s a regular issue that Shaw has.
That's just rubbish I'm afraid. If you're the only player defending properly then you're not at fault.

You're right but I wouldn't bother trying to explain it to people on this forum. You're wasting your time. The level of tactical understanding and football nous basically amounts to blaming every goal we concede on Shaw or Maguire.
There are days where an abundance of posters have the same very strange takes when analysing match situations here and it can be baffling. There's always a few voices of reason though.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
That's just rubbish I'm afraid. If you're the only player defending properly then you're not at fault.

There are days where an abundance of posters have the same very strange takes when analysing match situations here and it can be baffling. There's always a few voices of reason though.
:lol: Back fours are a unit. When you are regularly the one player deeper than the other three. Literally if he was in line with the other players.....

sherrinford

:lol: Back fours are a unit. When you are regularly the one player deeper than the other three. Literally if he was in line with the other players.....
Show me where the line involving the rest of this unit is supposed to be...

It's like you haven't actually seen the passages of play and are going off still images like those given in the OP. Against Burnley, Shaw is in line with Varane until he, wrongly, goes chasing the ball. Against Southampton, he is in line with Maguire before Varane once again takes himself out the game and Maguire out of desperation tries to step up at the last second. In both instances Shaw is backtracking in line with his centre half and other defenders make errors of judgement.

TheReligion

Abusive
You do realise Shaw was one of the best players at the Euros right?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
For whatever reason Shaw has been average this season but it's not because he isn't a good player which is the big difference between him and someone like AWB, McT or Fred. I agree he needs to up his game but the LB position should be and will be one the the last positions we need to be concentrating on.

OrcaFat

that says more about the team than Shaw being decent
No. We created a lot of chances and he has been very productive in that part. He is a brilliant player. His form is a little patchy this season but he’s still contributing and has been our best player more than once. In the context of a team in disarray I think he’s done alright.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
No. We created a lot of chances and he has been very productive in that part. He is a brilliant player. His form is a little patchy this season but he’s still contributing and has been our best player more than once. In the context of a team in disarray I think he’s done alright.
Id agree with parts of your point but in the overall scheme of things I think a title winning team needs a better player than Shaw.
I think he is limited and negative and his low ebb is very very bad

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Id agree with parts of your point but in the overall scheme of things I think a title winning team needs a better player than Shaw.
Put Shaw in a functioning team ready to fight for titles and he wouldn't be out of place. It's no coincidence that every single player in our squad, bar DDG and maybe Sancho are all playing subpar. Something obviously isn't right. Cliques within the team, underwhelming training regimes, who knows? It's affecting everyone and if the next manager can sort it out then I fully expect to see Shaw hitting the form we've seen so often when he was POTY 2 seasons running.

sherrinford

Even if this was true - and I certainly don't agree - it is irrelevant really. If Shaw isn't good enough and we should be looking for a replacement, then that would mean that we need to be looking to replace ten of our starting eleven!

Since Solskjaer took over and actually started playing him, Shaw has been the best player at this club by a mile. So even if you don't believe he is good enough for where you want us to be, we are so far away from that that it isn't worth thinking about at all at this moment in time. We should concentrate on improving the weaker areas of the team.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Again his player scores a goal. How many goals has he been at blame in this season?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Shaw's positional sense is awful. For their second goal he went completely to sleep. All he had to do was stay with the man. Something we've said about him time and time again.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
He's dropped so far this season, it's sad to see, Telles isn't much better but still has legs and is better offensively at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.