Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

Got his can't-be-arsed-chasing yellow again.

Some players have a trademark pass, touch, skill, finish. This lazy bastard has a trademark booking.
I think this is a strange criticism. If the likes of Fred and McTominay had used the few brain cells they can scrub together to do a bit more of this then we’d have conceded fewer goals this season.

Shaw getting caught the wrong side is a bigger issue than the cynical fouling. If it stops a goal then I’m all for it, frankly.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
He had a stick up his arse last season about proving Mourinho wrong. This was evident in that he wouldn't stop banging on about it.

This season, he really looks like he can't be arsed.
In that first half, there were two or three times his man had already got past him before he even turned to look.

I'm tired of us having footballers that don't care.

Telles barely touches Shaw in terms of talent but gives his absolute everything when he plays.

Rather him than Shaw for the time being.
Spot on, it's sad the lack of ambition.

PoTMS

8 bookings already. Sooner rather than later, he'll be banned for a couple of league games and we'll get to see Telles again.

Bobade

Poor tonight. Lazy. Sloppy passing. His classic foul. It's weird because when he turns it on he is actually rapid. Just sometimes seems like he can't be bothered that much, and today was one of those days.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
Can't stand the sight of him playing. He's probably a sound fella but he's not for me as a player.
Incredibly limited full back.
His one footed approach in the modern game is outrageous
Yeah, what is up with his left-foot-only approach? I did not see him use his right foot for even a single touch from the 54th minute (when I started watching) to the end of the game. It's almost unnatural.

Jackal981

He had a stick up his arse last season about proving Mourinho wrong. This was evident in that he wouldn't stop banging on about it.

This season, he really looks like he can't be arsed.
In that first half, there were two or three times his man had already got past him before he even turned to look.

I'm tired of us having footballers that don't care.

Telles barely touches Shaw in terms of talent but gives his absolute everything when he plays.

Rather him than Shaw for the time being.
Should we pay Mou to talk shit about him again in the press ? His performance downfall is absurd. He looked like the best LB in the league last year and now he wouldnt even start for the top 6.

Raven

I love the way people complain that we don't use tactical fouling but when our players actually do it they're berated.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Was like both he and Dalot were told not to overlap last night.

simmee

I think this is a strange criticism. If the likes of Fred and McTominay had used the few brain cells they can scrub together to do a bit more of this then we’d have conceded fewer goals this season.

Shaw getting caught the wrong side is a bigger issue than the cynical fouling. If it stops a goal then I’m all for it, frankly.
Completely agree. McT got done so the midfield was completely open for the Brighton player and Shaw was never going to catch him without fouling. Smart yellow.

Oranges038

I love the way people complain that we don't use tactical fouling but when our players actually do it they're berated.
Nowt wrong with when it's clipping someone on the break.

But it's not always tactical fouls with him though. 90% of the time it's because he sells himself and gives away a foul because he's too lazy and or in the wrong position to make a proper effort to tackle in the first place.

Bwuk

His lack of professionalism and poor attitude is inexcusable.

NoPace

He'll be 27 in July so best years still ahead, so switch on or just give up place to inevitable replacement.

Ole gave him massive mental boost, but looks like he took a massive shit on it.
I think we have 4-5 bigger problems than letting Telles and Shaw compete at left back next year. Telles is 29, so we can buy a proper LB in 2 years once we've gotten a midfield, 9, RB and CB in.

Mac1997

Telles needs to start every game he is fit for.

Shaw is just a fat mess, embarrassing seeing him lumber up the pitch.

How can a professional athlete be in such poor physical shape, why does the club allow it?

Same old story with him pretty much every season he has been here. Would be the first out the door come the summer for me.

I wanted to throw something at the TV when he just stopped running for Fred's layoff in the first few minutes. Set the tone for his whole game.

Danny

Was like both he and Dalot were told not to overlap last night.
Probably true and sensible too- needed to concentrate on keeping a clean sheet surely, stay as compact as possible.

Elcabron

:lol: So are we back to Shaw being shit now? The same Shaw who was one of our absoloute best players last season?

Come on fellas. Hes been poor this season like a lot of other players, but hes twice the player Telles is
He is twice the player Telles is when he is playing well but not when he plays like he did last night. He has been poor this season.

Drizzle

Sadly there's an art to it. Fabinho or Rodri can do snide body checks and ankle clips all game long without a yellow. McTominay, Shaw et al are doing rugby tackles and smashing into players from behind and picking up yellows.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Probably true and sensible too- needed to concentrate on keeping a clean sheet surely, stay as compact as possible.
I dont think it kept us compact tbh. Instead they both held this weird position in no man's land. Neither useful in attack nor giving protection against the counter.

Really odd performance all over the pitch last night, but from both full backs in particular.

Raven

Sadly there's an art to it. Fabinho or Rodri can do snide body checks and ankle clips all game long without a yellow. McTominay, Shaw et al are doing rugby tackles and smashing into players from behind and picking up yellows.
Last night, Lamptey was absolutely gone, there was no catching him, Shaw had no choice but to foul him in the manner he did.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
:lol: So are we back to Shaw being shit now? The same Shaw who was one of our absoloute best players last season?

Come on fellas. Hes been poor this season like a lot of other players, but hes twice the player Telles is
Denis Irwin being a brilliant left back in 1997 is about as relevant as Shaw being brilliant last year.

It's now that matters and he's appalling now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

No one cares how good he was last season. He's poor this season. Other players who have been shit have had a lot of criticism too. Shaw is more frustrating though because he's been here 8 years and barely shows 8 months of form.

padzilla

Hipster
He has been absolute crap in 7 of the 8 years he has been here - plays well as part of a back seven for England so people call him Shawberto Carlos.

If he's the level of player who is nailed on as a first team starter then we have to accept we are winning nothing anytime soon. He also appears to have an attitude problem which is hilarious given his performances.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I think we have 4-5 bigger problems than letting Telles and Shaw compete at left back next year. Telles is 29, so we can buy a proper LB in 2 years once we've gotten a midfield, 9, RB and CB in.
True that. Prioritising is what needs to be done.

Still silently hoping we'll scout ahead and at least try to find good deal on the market while creating solid midfield with striker on top of that.

romufc

Is it just me or has anyone noticed him constantly ignoring Sancho? he gets the ball, there is an early pass to Sancho, he holds it and passes it to Maguire... Why dos he keep doing this?

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Denis Irwin being a brilliant left back in 1997 is about as relevant as Shaw being brilliant last year.

It's now that matters and he's appalling now.
No one cares how good he was last season. He's poor this season. Other players who have been shit have had a lot of criticism too. Shaw is more frustrating though because he's been here 8 years and barely shows 8 months of form.
Thats my point...hes been shit this season. That does not mean hes a shit player and despite being with us forever hes still only 26

Imo, hes not even been that bad. there have been plenty of games he and Sancho have created plenty of trouble down the left

Irwin99

Thats my point...hes been shit this season. That does not mean hes a shit player and despite being with us forever hes still only 26

Imo, hes not even been that bad. there have been plenty of games he and Sancho have created plenty of trouble down the left
I think my problem with Shaw is that he's very high maintenance in the sense that everything seems to have to be right for him to put in a good sustained run of form. He's been an extremely patchy player in the past 8 years or so (but then again who hasn't?!).

There's the fitness issues, the constant pulling back of oppo players shirts that, just when you think he's got it removed from his game he goes on another shirt pulling spree, the lack of communication with Maguire that I've noticed for a few seasons now. It's frustrating from a fans perspective. He's not a world class full back in my opinion.

He's a frustrating player because the talent is there though. Always thought Pep would make a great player of him.

flameinthesun

Is it just me or has anyone noticed him constantly ignoring Sancho? he gets the ball, there is an early pass to Sancho, he holds it and passes it to Maguire... Why dos he keep doing this?
Both Shaw and Maguire do that, its very noticeable. For example when Varane plays next to maguire the difference is visible. Varane gets the ball and instantly moves it on. Both Maguire and Shaw I guess are looking to make more penetrative passes but end up just holding on to the ball too long slowing things down.

On Shaw specifically he loves jogging with the ball upfield when he could have passed to his winger a couple seconds earlier. But then that would require him to then bust a gut to overlap his winger.....so yeah. Both contribute to the slow transition from back to front

Glorio

I wanted to throw something at the TV when he just stopped running for Fred's layoff in the first few minutes. Set the tone for his whole game.
And then Fred got castigated for a bad pass. To be honest, Fred made enough terrible passes to be criticised for a year but that one was on Shaw.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Hes chronically underperformed for one reason or another for the best part of 8 years now.

Being talented with ability is one thing. Consistency is another. No good player is ever that inconsistent.

Danny

I dont think it kept us compact tbh. Instead they both held this weird position in no man's land. Neither useful in attack nor giving protection against the counter.

Really odd performance all over the pitch last night, but from both full backs in particular.
Yeah they were kind of both in no man’s land where like you say didn’t fully commit to attacking phases.

I’d put that down to nervousness and perhaps tactical plays too but there’s much to improve on in that department

romufc

Both Shaw and Maguire do that, its very noticeable. For example when Varane plays next to maguire the difference is visible. Varane gets the ball and instantly moves it on. Both Maguire and Shaw I guess are looking to make more penetrative passes but end up just holding on to the ball too long slowing things down.

On Shaw specifically he loves jogging with the ball upfield when he could have passed to his winger a couple seconds earlier. But then that would require him to then bust a gut to overlap his winger.....so yeah. Both contribute to the slow transition from back to front
Its so frustrating... I sit there saying pass the effing ball. Like you can easily pass then sprint, instead he jogs waits for the defender to get close to Sancho, passes to him and then what do you expect Sancho to do? He has one option that is pass it back. At least if you pass the ball early he can turn.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

He might have the odd good match. Never outstanding. Never consistently good. His time all told is very underwhelming at United. He's never convinced me he was that player so to speak

Do you agree if this team has aspirations of winning the PL the LB needs upgrade?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is perfect smaller club player. He would look great at Spurs, Everton, West Ham, etc., and everyone would want to sign him but he is not the player you win trophies with, or even improve as a team. At his age he should be a leader and he still has young player mentality.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Telles isn't great and that's when the realisation kicks in.

Two average left backs = average left back play
Shaw is not average, he's bloody solid even on his average days, obviously not one of his howler days, but every slip and criticism grow over the top for some players like him Maguire, Pogba, Fred...

Alex telles on the contrary is just a classic example of an average player, he's got that one skill - his crossing which he overuses and unfortunately was brought only as a squad player, instead of us aiming to upgrade Shawwe brought in an average palyer who will take time to get rid of now. Player who struggle to defend in almost every game, offers no speed, no dribbling and often hollywood crossing with very little success rate. Nothing against the player, just a fair evaluation.

Shaw on the other hand after absolute amazing last season suffers like HM from the Euros and being overplayed and growing criticism of the overal MU, Unfortunately he's not one of the leaders to say I will come back stronger and make this team to play better on his own but his form will show if the form of team is low. Still a great youngish player with good ability and least of our worries now.

Caesar2290

I always wondered if Shaw had some kind of disease? The fan base always bashes him as being lazy and unprofessional, but so far we've had players like Rooney who would get hammered over the weekends have a much better career.

As someone who works out, counts calories religiously, I always had an issue with losing those "extra" pounds and being lethargic. Recently I found out that I have non-alcholic fatty liver disease and metabolic syndome aka insulin resistance.

The side effects usually range from inability to lose weight, to rapidly gaining weight and always feeling lethargic and low energy, especially after a carb heavy meal.

I always wondered if some of footballers might have these syndromes and not be aware of them. I actually think Lukaku and Anderson might be other football players suffering from this.

Varun1

Doesn't mean much tbh, it's a pretty low bar. Same with RB, both options at RB are fairly average in my opinion. It really frustrates me that we spent £50m on a player with so many weaknesses (AWB).
In fact, thinking about it, we've spent in the region of £110m on 4 average full backs.

Shaw and AWB are really disappointing though. Both had the tools to become really good players, it may be a mixture of the shite coaching or poor attitude, but AWB especially, hasn't progressed. And Shaw has regressed from last season, and gone back to his pre 2020-2021 form.

Bobcat

He might have the odd good match. Never outstanding. Never consistently good. His time all told is very underwhelming at United. He's never convinced me he was that player so to speak

Do you agree if this team has aspirations of winning the PL the LB needs upgrade?
No. 2020/21 he was consisitently good all season and if RR can coax out that Shaw hes imo one of the best LB's in the world.

There are a lot more pressing issues we need to adress than LB

Bobcat

I think my problem with Shaw is that he's very high maintenance in the sense that everything seems to have to be right for him to put in a good sustained run of form. He's been an extremely patchy player in the past 8 years or so (but then again who hasn't?!).

There's the fitness issues, the constant pulling back of oppo players shirts that, just when you think he's got it removed from his game he goes on another shirt pulling spree, the lack of communication with Maguire that I've noticed for a few seasons now. It's frustrating from a fans perspective. He's not a world class full back in my opinion.

He's a frustrating player because the talent is there though. Always thought Pep would make a great player of him.
He like everyone else had to adapt to a new manager and a new system. The mediocre performances have been across the entire squad and imo Shaw has not even been the biggest culprit.

Considering he went from complete shite under Jose to class under Ole, i suspect he thrived under the latters man managment, so losing him might have set him back a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.