Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

Funny you mention a victimisation complex whilst acting like you’re being victimised. I’m calling you out on the double standard, Pogba was an example as I checked your recent posts & you’d been in his thread criticising him post match with rather stupid claims then got precious because our prized left back was being called out.

Back to Shaw though, would you agree that the best play levels above his pace? As I’ve seen this claim elsewhere tonight but think it could be used on multiple current squad members.
All this....mental.

All I said was that Shaw isn't a terrible footballer. That's the most praise I gave him.

Mainoldo

I've just heavily criticised Shaw. I just called him "a joke." Have a look.

But you think I'm being touchy about others criticising him?

I just don't think he's a terrible footballer and does have talent. But that's minimal praise.

I swear Pogba is destroying some of your minds. :lol:
I would disagree and say it’s Bruno but that’s another story :lol:

I hope they all left tbh so we could end some obvious divides.

tomaldinho1

I said this & had some poster bashing at their keyboard swearing he’d played well for multiple seasons. When you consider the outlay & expectancy he’s bested by only Maguire for me in terms of how underwhelming they have been.
Just remember there were genuinely people on here saying he is better than Robertson. He’s not been helped by his injury, Mou then hated him and Ole hardly improved anyone so I have some sympathy but it doesn’t change how average a player he is when you look at his United career.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Has anyone ever taken so long to take throw-ins in the history of football as Luke Shaw does? Players have to get free 4 times with him. It sums him up at the moment - everything takes two seconds longer than it should. Plays in his own timezone.
That's it right there. Where's the urgency? And it spreads like a virus. I think at his best he's a vastly superior option to Telles but Christ, why can't he bring it every day, from the start like Robertson or Tierney or whoever?

AFC NimbleThumb

I think the form leading up to his injury was really good, long time ago now! He was good last season and he does have ability, jsut think back to how good he looked at SOUthampton (again long ago).

I have backed him in his time here, think he got overly criticised a lot during his time here and peopl eonly warmed to him last year....

But, yes sporadic form, been average at best this season and showed no guts or imagination going forward.

My biggest criticism of him personally is his positioning though. Bissaka constantly gets slaughtered for his.....Shaws is worse, he tucks inside too much so so much and leaves acres of space for wide players to run into and often gets caught doing so when other move forwad plaign people onside. He has never improved that in all his time here. Mourinho was slaughtering him for it and that was one part of the criticism/bullying that was justified.

He did have a horrific injury but after last seasons godo form, simply no excuses for him now.

I thoguht he was shockign tonight, slow to react and absolutely gutless on the ball. One of his poorest performances for us and liek a coupel of others he absolutely deserves to be dropped to th ebench come the weekend
Sums it up perfectly for me. He looked good years ago then had a purple patch last season but in the totality of his time at United it’s been underwhelming, his injury didn’t help but around that how good has he really been for us.

You point it out, I don’t see a particularly good defender there nor do I see a particularly productive attacking player. I just see someone going through the motions a lot of the time.

Tarrou

felt he was more at fault than Maguire for the goal

just left his man and didn't give Maguire a shout

Oranges038

Another standard Luke Shaw performance.

He's just awful, one half decent season in 8 now. Time for him to go.

Grande

Sums it up perfectly for me. He looked good years ago then had a purple patch last season but in the totality of his time at United it’s been underwhelming, his injury didn’t help but around that how good has he really been for us.

You point it out, I don’t see a particularly good defender there nor do I see a particularly productive attacking player. I just see someone going through the motions a lot of the time.
I agree on the totality verdict, he’s been too up and down and his career on total is underwhelming compared to someone like Robertson.

I think the specificity dimension is also important though. Like how he looked very good as a teenager at So’ton under Poch. How he began slow but started looking for LVG before the horror injury. How he looked unfit (in his movements, not his general looks) under Mou at first, and even when his physical form improved, he drove Mourinho mad. How he was one of the first players to raise his level under Solskjær, and was generally acclaimed as the lost Shaw reapoeared for a long time. How he faded, but then raised his levels after Ole brought Telles in his place for a while. How he was generally acclaimed as maybe the best LB in the league and the EUropean championship last season, how he’s dropped off a cliff formwise after that summer, and how he is the player doing the most defensive judgement errors since Rangnik came.

All this sums up to me as such: His physical capacity is fantastic when well trained (strength and speed), his technical level is top notch in control and strike of the ball. When utilized to the max, this is better than Robertson and anyone else.

His inner drive is weak - he must be motivated from the outside continuosly by challenges from coaches and competition. His confidence is vulnerable - he must be supported with care and empathy,or he’ll regress.
His mind is slow, he must be put into a predictable system with clear tasks that can be easily understood or taught.

I think he, like Maguire and Rashford, didn’t take too well to losing two finals on penalties at the end of a marathon season, and then get too much free time and too little preseason after that. In addition, he and Rashford, who are not the fastest learners, struggle to grasp how to play under Ragnik.

Wich is to say his top level is real, and not just some fluke of form. Then again, he os vulnerable to a lot of circumstances with those weaknesses. Is he worth it? I’d say yes. If he gets time, understanding and competitiion, under a systematic manager like Rangnik or ten Hag he will come understand eventually, under a motivator like Poch he’ll be at his best, and he also work with coaches like Ole and Southgate who are good at making things simple for their players (an undervalued feat).

He needs good cover. He has now, with Telles, and at a club like United, that should be a prerequisite to have anyway. To big caveats - we keep changing managerial styles (what are the chances of that …) and he loses interest in footbll altogether.

Vernon Philander

I've noticed a change in his attitude. He seems actually sulky at times. His lack of concentration has also cost us goals this season. I dunno what's up with him. Maybe all the attention with England in the Euros got to his head? In any case, not feeling secure with him this season.
Not for the first time, Mourinho was right.

The Viper

He has been going downhill for a while now. This just makes it look like his last season was just one off. His constant grabbing of players when they run past him is so annoying to watch.

AshRK

Don't know if it is true or now but I won't be surprised with this. He puts in 5/10 performance every game. Average footballer who like some of our other players believes in his own hype.

Stacks

Just remember there were genuinely people on here saying he is better than Robertson. He’s not been helped by his injury, Mou then hated him and Ole hardly improved anyone so I have some sympathy but it doesn’t change how average a player he is when you look at his United career.
He has had 1.5 acceptable seasons. Even when he won POTY he was mid level LB in the league

AshRK

Robertson? People were comparing him to Roberto Carlos :lol:

Not going to say he is a bad player or anything but I am sure we can do better than him. Average player who would do a decent job for a midtable club. He should be our squad player at most.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Even though he’s more gifted the same post could be written word for word about Pogba. unfortunately. Shaw has played a lot more than PP over the last few years and he was our most consistent player last year. Not been great this year at all but I can be objective and I am about all of our players as I really just want the club to succeed. I like players who at least keep working hard when things aren’t coming off. Major annoyance towards Rashford and Martial. Shaw and Maguire this year. Pogba on and off the whole time. It’s all fluctuating levels of form and desire which is simply well below the required level at a top club.

AFC NimbleThumb

Even though he’s more gifted the same post could be written word for word about Pogba. unfortunately. Shaw has played a lot more than PP over the last few years and he was our most consistent player last year. Not been great this year at all but I can be objective and I am about all of our players as I really just want the club to succeed. I like players who at least keep working hard when things aren’t coming off. Major annoyance towards Rashford and Martial. Shaw and Maguire this year. Pogba on and off the whole time. It’s all fluctuating levels of form and desire which is simply well below the required level at a top club.
I’m not sure how to unpack this I’m kind of past going back & forth with posters who claim Shaw & Maguire have only been an issue ‘this year’, I’ve discussed my views on Shaw’s United career elsewhere in this thread. He’s been here going on 8 years, I he’s been a poor signing [injury/recovery taken in mind]. There was/is a groundswell for him to do well, I’d have loved for him to but his lowest level is in the basement & I genuinely don’t think he’s particularly stand out as a player when in his best form.

I’d agree though, we have a number of players who seem to be going through the motions from game to game. I’d sell lots of them.

Sylar

Seems like he only played good to ensure he would play in the Euros team with it being home country.
(Obviously not the case)
But one good season for as long as hes been with us is a shame.

Kag

Shaw’s issues are mental, I’m convinced of that. It’s no surprise that his best ever form for the club coincided with a period in which supporters weren’t in the stadium.

He was running matches from full back last season; constantly making powerful runs up and down the left wing. His crossing improved, too.

He’s playing within himself at the moment and it’s been the case all season now.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Embarrassing, Wan-Bissaka had more energy than him with ninety minutes of running in his legs.

pascell

Lazy, lazy, lazy player. Came on for 20 minutes and looked gassed after one overlap.

He's absolutely killing our attack down the left because of his lack of work ethic in over/under lapping. He's hanging Sancho out to dry, our most threatening player when 1v1. If I was Rangnick I'd be dropping him until he can show he's got the right fitness levels.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Thought he was great last season but at the end of the day you can't be a top LB for a top side if you play as if you're Dimitar fecking Berbatov. Came on when we were desperate for a win and strolled around like he was too cool for his shit. What a player.

izec

If Shaw and McTominay are fighters, we are in deep trouble. I didn't see much from McTominay yesterday. Shaw would lose some weight and get fit if he had the ambition to actually improve.

Bwuk

Only thing Shaw is fighting about is whether to order McDonalds or KFC

Polar

Not very difficult to argue McT and Shaw (and sometimes Bruno) stand out most talking about United and fighting spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.