Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This is sound in theory. However, in practice Shaw was far too passive and didn't engage in any sort of baiting Saka to go either side or attempt to 'get tight'. Getting tight doesn't need to mean getting close enough and possibly getting turned, it can mean at least trying to shield them away or make them hesitate to come forward.

Yes he didn't have much 2nd help and perhaps Martinez was a bit deeper than usual but conceding territory like that so easily doesn't sound like a tactic to me.
If you're in close enough proximity to get burned, that's tight enough and Saka would more than welcome it and fancy his chances. Going out to such a tricky wide-man by yourself and then leaving space behind you with willing runners eager to breach it doesn't seem prudent in a game where your midfield is nowhere to be seen - Shaw would've been stuck between a rock and a hard place then, and subsequently blamed if anything was played in behind him.

When you say shield them away, that's usually because options on the inside are limited otherwise an attacker who has anything about him will actively invite that contest because the absolute worse that can happen is them being dispossessed, whilst for the defender, there's a number of pitfalls (beaten all ends up; cards; played in behind; taken completely out of a play with a simple lay off) that aren't prudent unless the rest of the team are ready and waiting in cover to sweep up.

Conceding territory isn't great, but the alternatives are far worse, at the very least, Saka then has to make and execute the right pass/play, rather than having free reign in open space to then probe the CB and have the easiest of lay offs to onrushing attackers with the fullback barely able to interject should he be behind his man.

CloneMC16

I've never seen Shaw that scared of an opponent. He didn't want to put a tackle in all game. Saka is a great player, but you have to make a challenge at some point. At the very least, I don't think Shaw let Saka cut inside. The two times Saka did cut inside, Eriksen was defending against him. Rashford also did not help. A poor performance, but up against one of the toughest opponents you could play against at the moment.

Lee565

Either shaw had a real off day or maybe we have underestimated just how good saka really is at this point

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Either shaw had a real off day or maybe we have underestimated just how good saka really is at this point
Saka is really a top top player. Shaw was poor today though

criticalanalysis

If you're in close enough proximity to get burned, that's tight enough and Saka would more than welcome it and fancy his chances. Going out to such a tricky wide-man by yourself and then leaving space behind you with willing runners eager to breach it doesn't seem prudent in a game where your midfield is nowhere to be seen - Shaw would've been stuck between a rock and a hard place then, and subsequently blamed if anything was played in behind him.

When you say shield them away, that's usually because options on the inside are limited otherwise an attacker who has anything about him will actively invite that contest because the absolute worse that can happen is them being dispossessed, whilst for the defender, there's a number of pitfalls (beaten all ends up; cards; played in behind; taken completely out of a play with a simple lay off) that aren't prudent unless the rest of the team are ready and waiting in cover to sweep up.

Conceding territory isn't great, but the alternatives are far worse, at the very least, Saka then has to make and execute the right pass/play, rather than having free reign in open space to then probe the CB and have the easiest of lay offs to onrushing attackers with the fullback barely able to interject should he be behind his man.
I don't want to be dismissive because you've written quite eloquently but again this is still a 'theoretical threat' where Saka was made to look like prime Messi with the amount of backing off Shaw gave him. We are not talking about Lindelof here.

For me Shaw simply has to 'engage' and get busy; that can mean getting tighter on touch (of the ball) or when in the second phase of the one-on-one i.e when Saka has full control and is facing you up. A strong arm, baiting him to go on the outside where at best Saka could have dugged a deep cross (where you would think or hope at least Varane and Martinez could read with the one aerial threat they had in the box) or make him fake it etc, all to delay and get 2nd help. Literally backtracking 5-15 yards into your own penalty box whilst giving him 2 yards of space is not the lesser of the two evils imo.

Tactic or not, the execution was poor and passive from Shaw (and possibly from 2nd help i.e Rashford/Martinez but those are separate posts).

Edit: I should add Saka is a top player and of course he's not easy to stop but you don't give a top player space and time on the ball. Sometimes you need to mix in controlled chaos (intensity, tackling, jumping in with your body to get shoulder to shoulder, etc) to stop and delay.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't want to be dismissive because you've written quite eloquently but again this is still a 'theoretical threat' where Saka was made to look like prime Messi with the amount of backing off Shaw gave him. We are not talking about Lindelof here.

For me Shaw simply has to 'engage' and get busy; that can mean getting tighter on touch (of the ball) or when in the second phase of the one-on-one i.e when Saka has full control and is facing you up. A strong arm, baiting him to go on the outside where at best Saka could have dugged a deep cross (where you would think or hope at least Varane and Martinez could read with the one aerial threat they had in the box) or make him fake it etc, all to delay and get 2nd help. Literally backtracking 5-15 yards into your own penalty box whilst giving him 2 yards of space is not the lesser of the two evils imo.

Tactic or not, the execution was poor and passive from Shaw (and possibly from 2nd help i.e Rashford/Martinez but those are separate posts).
I'm fine with your stance; the issues for me is that what I expect from the fullback is to be selective in his interactions and only be bold about it when he knows he has cover in behind to sweep up anything that gets by him, without it, there's a point where it's seriously bad decision making to go out and meet the attacker and that's where we were at in this game for Shaw.

Theoretically, he goes out there, meets the threat and wards it off, equally, he can go out there and sell himself for little reason because he's then made the attackers job far easier by isolating himself. It's not often you'll see Shaw so wary, and even outside of the paucity of cover, he'd have a real challenge on his hands in a pure 1:1 contest. The bolded, I think it is, for the reasons I stated - at least Saka then has to work and execute, otherwise, he's beaten his man all hands down and we're in a considerably worse state with him bearing down on the CB's with a FB who is unable to challenge for the ball because he's behind him.

I don't want my FB to go out to face such a strong threat by himself with the backline in disarray due to the lack of cover from midfield and ripe for the taking should an easy ball split them from the breach Shaw then leaves should he be beaten.

criticalanalysis

I'm fine with your stance; the issues for me is that what I expect from the fullback is to be selective in his interactions and only be bold about it when he knows he has cover in behind to sweep up anything that gets by him, without it, there's a point where it's seriously bad decision making to go out and meet the attacker and that's where we were at in this game for Shaw.

Theoretically, he goes out there, meets the threat and wards it off, equally, he can go out there and sell himself for little reason because he's then made the attackers job far easier by isolating himself. It's not often you'll see Shaw so wary, and even outside of the paucity of cover, he'd have a real challenge on his hands in a pure 1:1 contest. The bolded, I think it is, for the reasons I stated - at least Saka then has to work and execute, otherwise, he's beaten his man all hands down and we're in a considerably worse state with him bearing down on the CB's with a FB who is unable to challenge for the ball because he's behind him.

I don't want my FB to go out to face such a strong threat by himself with the backline in disarray due to the lack of cover from midfield and ripe for the taking should an easy ball split them from the breach Shaw then leaves should he be beaten.
I was watching a patchy stream and wasn't able to catch the whole game in full flow (due to buffering) so I may concede my viewing wasn't perfect and maybe we'll have to agree to disagree...but I saw what I saw. The space Shaw gave Saka and his back peddling was glaring; it's not a smart reading of the situation and a reflection of his own individual ability and performance.

Meeting Saka closer to the touchline means Saka then has to reassess his own options. Does he take Shaw 1 on 1? Does he go on the outside for a deep cross (with one aerial threat in the box against Varane)? Does he try to dribble and attack the box? All of which gives great opportunities but also means he may lose the ball and let us go on a counter attack. That alone gives him food for thought and in likelihood may make him go back and recycle the ball, which gives us time to regroup. It's a very basic form of pressing from Shaw, which he didn't really try and instead we conceded dangerous territory almost every time. Separately, you would hope that once he goes outside, his teammates would increase their intensity to box out and close the space.

I'm not going to watch the game again but maybe we'll have some Saka touch compilation highlights soon so we can reassess again. My recollection of the times he had the ball wasn't really in break away situations. We had a deep line and Saka received the ball in space but not in defensive disarrayed situations. I agree with your overall points about choosing the situations and being selective (because we can look at Malacia on that side of the spectrum where he's almost always gungho for all situations) but I don't think it applies here; Shaw's approach was wrong, overly cautious and ineffective.

As for the bolded, actually I think Shaw has a defensive weakness when it comes to closing down players on his side of the pitch as a left back. I even responded to someone last week regarding this after the City game where he played CB.

Yes, Shaw is great physically. Very strong, fast, good leap, but please, let’s not write a narrative far removed from the truth. He often fails to stop crosses because he struggles on the first five-ten yards, and his positioning as a fullback can be suspect - not so as a centre back, thus far.
In response:

Only thing I disagree there. I think it's more to do with his lackadaisical attitude to getting tight down that left channel; he seems to be constantly in a relaxed jogging posture rather than alert and low centre of gravity. It's bloody infuriating because you know no one can breeze past him if he really wanted to try. It's probably a fear of getting done (PTSD from the Mourinho days :smirk: ) so he'd rather let them send a deep cross.

Perhaps I was giving him benefit of the doubt because he's so physically built but now I may have to correct myself and call it a weakness. It was the same in mid-week against Olise (who himself is a very tricky winger). He's almost refuses to engage in those 1 on 1 duels on the wing against anyone who looks threatening/has dribbling ability, where he then gives up space and initiative. Anywhere else in the pitch and he's more game, which is frustrating. I understand the intention behind it but like Lindelof, I won't praise it as 'reading of the game', it's pure passiveness/inability/poor execution/whatever you want to call it.

Last edited:

NoPace

Saka is a great 1 on 1 player, but Shaw was more scared of him than a peak Salah. Wonder if he's not fully fit.

AFC NimbleThumb

Was playing Saka like he was young Messi, the jockeying back into the box stuff was infuriating. I honestly think Malacia would have done better today.

JohnnyLaw

Was playing Saka like he was young Messi, the jockeying back into the box stuff was infuriating. I honestly think Malacia would have done better today.
To be fair, Malacia too had massive problems defending against Saka when we played them at Old Trafford.

AFC NimbleThumb

To be fair, Malacia too had massive problems defending against Saka when we played them at Old Trafford.
No worse than yesterday’s display I’d attest. Maybe it’s a tactical issue but we played him like he’s Messi twice this year. Shaw is good enough to have wingers thinking the other way.

SAFMUTD

Disappointing performance from him, he's in top form so I expected he'd get Saka in his pocket. Saka is a great player and in fantastic form currently but Shaw is an experienced player he played with too much respect for him. Gave him a lot of space to receive and turn around when he should've been breathing on the back of his neck suffocating him.

Lebo

Shaw struggled midweek. I personally wanted Malacia over him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I was watching a patchy stream and wasn't able to catch the whole game in full flow (due to buffering) so I may concede my viewing wasn't perfect and maybe we'll have to agree to disagree...but I saw what I saw. The space Shaw gave Saka and his back peddling was glaring; it's not a smart reading of the situation and a reflection of his own individual ability and performance.

Meeting Saka closer to the touchline means Saka then has to reassess his own options. Does he take Shaw 1 on 1? Does he go on the outside for a deep cross (with one aerial threat in the box against Varane)? Does he try to dribble and attack the box? All of which gives great opportunities but also means he may lose the ball and let us go on a counter attack. That alone gives him food for thought and in likelihood may make him go back and recycle the ball, which gives us time to regroup. It's a very basic form of pressing from Shaw, which he didn't really try and instead we conceded dangerous territory almost every time. Separately, you would hope that once he goes outside, his teammates would increase their intensity to box out and close the space.

I'm not going to watch the game again but maybe we'll have some Saka touch compilation highlights soon so we can reassess again. My recollection of the times he had the ball wasn't really in break away situations. We had a deep line and Saka received the ball in space but not in defensive disarrayed situations. I agree with your overall points about choosing the situations and being selective (because we can look at Malacia on that side of the spectrum where he's almost always gungho for all situations) but I don't think it applies here; Shaw's approach was wrong, overly cautious and ineffective.
I'm not refuting there's an element of fear in there. The acknowledgement of Saka from Shaw also indicates he's a player who needs to be doubled up on, as is a prerequisite against any higher class winger.

The issue here is even Maldini himself would ensure he's covered on the inside before meeting a threat, otherwise tucking is the economical route. In an ideal world, Shaw has an all-game one on one battle with Saka with complete focus on that task and full commitment to the tenets of taking such a winger to task, but in this game, Shaw had no cover inside from Eriksen; no doubling up from Rashford - incidentally, the reality is supposed to be the flanking attacker pressing the opposing flank attacker into the waiting arms of the fb; a CB with hands full because of the holes been sprung all across the defensive midfield line because of Eriksen and McTominay... it's a lot of suboptimal conditions before Shaw's possible fear factor or perceived flaw is factored in.

I'll reiterate: any good winger desperately wants the engagements and the sooner they can get their FB carded, the better. I'll also say I'm not entirely sure Shaw can deal with Saka 1:1, so again the cover is imperative before going out to meet the threat.

As for the bolded, actually I think Shaw has a defensive weakness when it comes to closing down players on his side of the pitch as a left back. I even responded to someone last week regarding this after the City game where he played CB.

In response:

Perhaps I was giving him benefit of the doubt because he's so physically built but now I may have to correct myself and call it a weakness. It was the same in mid-week against Olise (who himself is a very tricky winger). He's almost refuses to engage in those 1 on 1 duels on the wing against anyone who looks threatening/has dribbling ability, where he then gives up space and initiative. Anywhere else in the pitch and he's more game, which is frustrating. I understand the intention behind it but like Lindelof, I won't praise it as 'reading of the game', it's pure passiveness/inability/poor execution/whatever you want to call it.
We'll get another glimpse into this vs Dembele. You might be right; there's a derth of top quality RW's, so it's not something we're able to analyse often, and probably the same for Shaw - a shock to the system in and of itself. But again, Dembele requires doubling up on - it's really not a smart move on the FB's behalf to throw caution to the wind with him without contingencies in place beforehand.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Might be reading into this a bit too much, but did Saka being his mate not really help things? I believe they're pretty chummy on England camps... which might be why Shaw didn't really lay one on him (I can definitely imagine Shaw in other games putting in a meaty challenge early on).

But then also Saka is brilliant.

He did ok i thought, considering Rashford was not helping in front and Eriksen was nowhere on the inside. In that situation you give your winger a bit of space and jockey him instead of go flying in to tackles; that's a recipe to getting skinned repeatedly.

It wasn't too bad either. He was happy to hold Saka off all the way into box where he didn't do much damage overall. The goal was nothing to do with Shaw, it was Eriksen's weak defending and some shoddy goalkeeping.

Himannv

Saka is the best RW in the league at the moment IMO. I still think Shaw should have got closer to him, particularly at the end of the second half when they were pushing hard for the winner. Fred coming in to help was the right move as I think Eriksen was struggling to deal with him as well.

Olecurls99

Shaw was left on his own far foo often. It's crazy that we're up against the best attacking team in the league with the best RW, and from early on in the game Shaw was left up against Saka without any support from a winger or midfielder.

criticalanalysis

I'm not refuting there's an element of fear in there. The acknowledgement of Saka from Shaw also indicates he's a player who needs to be doubled up on, as is a prerequisite against any higher class winger.

The issue here is even Maldini himself would ensure he's covered on the inside before meeting a threat, otherwise tucking is the economical route. In an ideal world, Shaw has an all-game one on one battle with Saka with complete focus on that task and full commitment to the tenets of taking such a winger to task, but in this game, Shaw had no cover inside from Eriksen; no doubling up from Rashford - incidentally, the reality is supposed to be the flanking attacker pressing the opposing flank attacker into the waiting arms of the fb; a CB with hands full because of the holes been sprung all across the defensive midfield line because of Eriksen and McTominay... it's a lot of suboptimal conditions before Shaw's possible fear factor or perceived flaw is factored in.

I'll reiterate: any good winger desperately wants the engagements and the sooner they can get their FB carded, the better. I'll also say I'm not entirely sure Shaw can deal with Saka 1:1, so again the cover is imperative before going out to meet the threat.

We'll get another glimpse into this vs Dembele. You might be right; there's a derth of top quality RW's, so it's not something we're able to analyse often, and probably the same for Shaw - a shock to the system in and of itself. But again, Dembele requires doubling up on - it's really not a smart move on the FB's behalf to throw caution to the wind with him without contingencies in place beforehand.
I think when it comes down to it, this is my simple take:

1) Did Shaw play to instructions and tactics to not get too tight? Debatable but let's say yes.
2) Was the intention to not get tight and instead almost lead him to our penalty box? I highly doubt that was ETH's intentions.
3) Did Shaw execute the tactics and did he perform to his own capability? Debatable but let's say yes for the former and the latter absolutely not.

Those 'suboptimal conditions' are all true but it almost completely dissolves Shaw's own performance. He wasn't left hung out to dry or in a really disadvantageous situation. Saka is top quality but we're not talking about Rashford vs Trent or Messi vs Azpilicueta. When I say engage, I don't mean go flying in or making it a battle of 1 vs 1, it's about putting enough pressure and doubt to make Saka take another touch, go back on himself, wait for his teammates and/or make another pass. That can be simply as just meeting him in closer proximity and not backing off 5-10 yards.

As for Dembele, that I can understand because it's a combination of reasons. Firstly, I believe Dembele has truly elite dribbling and athletic ability. Secondly, we have massive issues against Spanish teams because they are very good at pressing and if history repeats itself, we will find ourselves in really uncomfortable positions around the pitch. Lastly Barcelona and the massive pitch of Camp Nou, will probably be creating a lot space for a player like Dembele if we aren't smart with our covering and defending. Absolutely, I will not expect Shaw to contain or pressure him the same way I had expected him to at the Emirates.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think when it comes down to it, this is my simple take:

1) Did Shaw play to instructions and tactics to not get too tight? Debatable but let's say yes.
2) Was the intention to not get tight and instead almost lead him to our penalty box? I highly doubt that was ETH's intentions.
3) Did Shaw execute the tactics and did he perform to his own capability? Debatable but let's say yes for the former and the latter absolutely not.

Those 'suboptimal conditions' are all true but it almost completely dissolves Shaw's own performance. He wasn't left hung out to dry or in a really disadvantageous situation.
I'm not absolving Shaw, but I am reasoning as to why he did what he did; instruction, logical deduction and a good dollop of outright fear. Saka's greatest strength is the intelligence in his play; Shaw is not ignorant to that - if you ask me, they both know and understand the situation and that's why one is actively inviting it whilst the other is doing his utmost not to be drawn in.

I don't have objection to Shaw being timid in the situation by tucking in too much, but the bolded is definitely off. He had no support on his inside as Eriksen could not keep up with the pace of the game and couldn't provide the cover that is essential before true engagement; Rashford, whether instructed or not, was absolutely nowhere to be seen and Martinez was too preoccupied with multiple threats running into the acres of space being left in front of the CB's to be assured cover following in beside Shaw. The kind of 1on1 FB for that exact scenario is AWB; he doesn't look around for cover because he doesn't need it, but the vast majority of FB's do and even if it's not the only way for them to approach, they will still assess the pros and cons and opt out of the 1-on-1.
Saka is top quality but we're not talking about Rashford vs Trent or Messi vs Azpilicueta. When I say engage, I don't mean go flying in or making it a battle of 1 vs 1, it's about putting enough pressure and doubt to make Saka take another touch, go back on himself, wait for his teammates and/or make another pass. That can be simply as just meeting him in closer proximity and not backing off 5-10 yards.
I think Saka is better than a lot of us knew or realised - he clearly carries a fear factor that permeates both his side and the opposition. His teammates are assured in their runs off him and flood the spaces he breaches and their is enough doubt placed in FB's minds to not be sure what they should do with him.
As for Dembele, that I can understand because it's a combination of reasons. Firstly, I believe Dembele has truly elite dribbling and athletic ability. Secondly, we have massive issues against Spanish teams because they are very good at pressing and if history repeats itself, we will find ourselves in really uncomfortable positions around the pitch. Lastly Barcelona and the massive pitch of Camp Nou, will probably be creating a lot space for a player like Dembele if we aren't smart with our covering and defending. Absolutely, I will not expect Shaw to contain or pressure him the same way I had expected him to at the Emirates.
I think Fred might start that game. It'd make a huge difference for the LB and CB around Shaw if he does. If Shaw is the same hesitant then, it'll be more on him than what happened on Sunday.

Rossa

Shaw was terrible against Saka, and he showed his defensive play can be quite careless and lazy from time to time. The way he let Saka stroll towards him, backing off, backing off until way inside his own penalty box where committing to a challenge is that much more difficult and risky was both cowardly and dangerous. Saka didn't even dribble past Shaw, but he just strolled towards him creating heaps of space for others on the wing. I don't think Shaw could have done much worse to be honest. On top of that, his distribution was abysmal. Yes, DDG was terrible in that regard, but Shaw is normally very good on the ball, but he was downright horrible at progressing the ball forwards. His lackadaisical approach to defending is a concern. He lacks intensity to his game, and that can seriously harm us from time to time. Malacia makes mistakes, but at least he does something. "All it takes for Arsenal to prevail is for a few good men to do nothing" - and Shaw did nothing.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
At the end of the day, Shaw was left way too exposed. You can’t allow a winger as dangerous as Saka create that many 1v1 situations against his fullback. That’s suicide. The combination of Rashford’s usual lack of defensive effort and McT’s cluelessness about where he is needed most ended up with Shaw completely hung out to dry.

criticalanalysis

I'm not absolving Shaw, but I am reasoning as to why he did what he did; instruction, logical deduction and a good dollop of outright fear. Saka's greatest strength is the intelligence in his play; Shaw is not ignorant to that - if you ask me, they both know and understand the situation and that's why one is actively inviting it whilst the other is doing his utmost not to be drawn in.

I don't have objection to Shaw being timid in the situation by tucking in too much, but the bolded is definitely off. He had no support on his inside as Eriksen could not keep up with the pace of the game and couldn't provide the cover that is essential before true engagement; Rashford, whether instructed or not, was absolutely nowhere to be seen and Martinez was too preoccupied with multiple threats running into the acres of space being left in front of the CB's to be assured cover following in beside Shaw. The kind of 1on1 FB for that exact scenario is AWB; he doesn't look around for cover because he doesn't need it, but the vast majority of FB's do and even if it's not the only way for them to approach, they will still assess the pros and cons and opt out of the 1-on-1.
I think Saka is better than a lot of us knew or realised - he clearly carries a fear factor that permeates both his side and the opposition. His teammates are assured in their runs off him and flood the spaces he breaches and their is enough doubt placed in FB's minds to not be sure what they should do with him.
I think Fred might start that game. It'd make a huge difference for the LB and CB around Shaw if he does. If Shaw is the same hesitant then, it'll be more on him than what happened on Sunday.
Good discussion mate but we'll have to agree to disagree.

He was disadvantaged sure, in the sense that they dominated the ball in attacking areas, were playing at home, were well rested and are a team massively in form playing under a manager for 3 years. I'm not oblivious to all of that and I understand completely he wasn't given much help but the bottom line for me is that he still performed his own individual duties poorly. I fully appreciate the reasoning and his fear but that doesn't justify his choices, which as I said previously was overly cautious and ineffective. Therefore, it is my deduction that his reasoning were unfounded and a reflection of his poor handling and reading of the game. Deep down Shaw will know he was below par even if it was against the league's in form winger.

I always think of a player's game in two loose areas 1) did he do well in his own 'duels' (defensive, offensive, on and off the ball etc) and 2) how did he perform relative to the in game situations and the synergy with his team mates? I can give benefit of the doubt for the latter and not give a low rating because of all the disadvantaged conditions but Shaw scores quite poorly on the former for me in this particular game for me.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Good discussion mate but we'll have to agree to disagree.
Amicably enough :)
He was disadvantaged sure, in the sense that they dominated the ball in attacking areas, were playing at home, were well rested and are a team massively in form playing under a manager for 3 years. I'm not oblivious to all of that and I understand completely he wasn't given much help but the bottom line for me is that he still performed his own individual duties poorly. I fully appreciate the reasoning and his fear but that doesn't justify his choices, which as I said previously was overly cautious and ineffective. Therefore, it is my deduction that his reasoning were unfounded and a reflection of his poor handling and reading of the game. Deep down Shaw will know he was below par even if it was against the league's in form winger.
The crux of the discussion for me is that Shaw wasn't supported in a contest that most will soon agree is a prerequisite to contain Saka. If his trajectory is true, he'll be regarded as one of, if not the best RW in the league soon enough, and he'll be double-teamed by everyone; it should rarely be a case that the FB (no matter how good) is isolated against him because the best wingers are always defended against by pairs or even trios, and the fullback is never looked down upon for that. In fact, most have it drummed into them how important it is that either the offensive flanker on that side comes back, or the midfielder on the inside covers the space and frees up the FB to go to task on his man or at least try and corral him into preferable positions.

If Shaw wasn't instructed to tuck, the perspective is very different to if he was; there's also the matter Shaw can bring to the table if Rashford wasn't instructed to stay high for possible counters and of the midfield in not being anywhere to be seen for the majority of the time Saka was on the ball.

With regard to his own accountability and duties, I will have to agree to disagree there because my thinking is: Shaw goes out, is beaten or played around (due to the massive support allowed to build up on the inside channel) and is then roasted by fans for doing so because of how much space that would have given Saka to work in - it shouldn't go unnoted that there was a chasm in that defensive midfield area for everything but the first 20mins - it was an easy inlet throughout the remainder of the game. I'd point fingers at the support and then ask how much I'd like Shaw to venture out without compromising the shape of the backline itself; remember, without the midfield making a solid bank, you've a really incomplete defensive unit - if the frequency with which the RW has the ball is off the charts, something has gone very wrong further up the pitch.

It may sound like a cop out for Shaw, but there's no difference between a rock and a hard place, for me.
I always think of a player's game in two loose areas 1) did he do well in his own 'duels' (defensive, offensive, on and off the ball etc) and 2) how did he perform relative to the in game situations and the synergy with his team mates? I can give benefit of the doubt for the latter and not give a low rating because of all the disadvantaged conditions but Shaw scores quite poorly on the former for me in this particular game for me.
As above. I'm inclined to point fingers at other before Shaw in this instance.

Nice discussion, perhaps revisited after the Barcelona game.

Man Utd 2:0 Nottingham Forest

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Never been in better shape, it shows in his face how trim he is right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.