• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Players still clearly fighting

He never has lost them IMO

I hope the next man doesn't break up the trio of rash / martial / Lingard

Those 3 will be his legacy. For all the criticism Lingard gets I still thought he linked uo superbly with the other two at times
Players clearly fighting cause they want this cup! Rooney especially considering it is one he's never won. As for the bolded, why do we never see this fight in league matches? Yesterday confirmed to me he has lost them, because yesterday they went out and played for themselves/fans.

R'hllor

One thing I'll say is, whatever about anything else and whatever you may think of him, Mourinho does not lack balls
Yea but he lacks trusts in youth/young players,specially in those who were there before him,hell he doesnt trust anyone outside his first XI.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
If he wins FA Cup, it will be unfair to not allow him to finish his contract.
In the last 3 finals, teams have included Villa, Hull and Wigan all of which will be playing football outside of the PL next season (unless Hull make it up via the playoffs). It's always great to win a trophy but the FA cup isn't what it was and certainly shouldn't be used as a barometer for success at a club like ours.

stevoc

Nah winning the cup would be a great send off for him, go out on a high.

Winning the cup is great but it shouldn't mask our league form.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I hope the next man doesn't break up the trio of rash / martial / Lingard
I'm not so sure about Lingard.
I'd like us to compete in CL Finals and I just don't see Lingard being at that level.

Imagine if we were going up against Barca - Neymar, Messi, Suarez.
Lingard will never be close to that level. Due to their age, Martial and Rashford may get close to that level.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Don't support the club then. Just pray we lose every match and support our rivals.
I don't mean to be insulting but there's no need to be petulant about it. It's very short sighted and a bit immature to only think win = yay best times eva. It also doesn't mean that I myself wasn't ecstatic at the win yesterday and woke up in a great mood today because of it.

I still think that if LVG stays we'll continue being the new Arsenal/Liverpool, because even on the rare occasions we play well, we're still miles off competing with the best - team sheet and tactics alike.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
On matchwinner Anthony Martial
He could have scored in the first half when he was in the same situation, so I told him at half-time to shoot low into the corner – and he did that! It was a fantastic finish. I think he can do much better [in the future] because I see a lot of things that he can still improve and he shall improve. Only by training and by playing can you improve. Also, when you are playing at a higher level then you improve. When you are older you know all the things shall happen again. Then you have experience and you can decide much better in the same situation as before.

From http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...niteds-fa-cup-semi-final-against-everton.aspx

I don't see a joke there.
Okay you might be right..

Kaos

Winning the FA Cup would only soften the blow for what's been a tumescent season. We shouldn't use it as grounds to reward him with another season, especially not if we miss out on top 4.

Dante

Average bang
To think, we've only scored 42 goals in the league this season. A couple of years ago, Chelsea and Arsenal both netted more than 100.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I don't mean to be insulting but there's no need to be petulant about it. It's very short sighted and a bit immature to only think win = yay best times eva. It also doesn't mean that I myself wasn't ecstatic at the win yesterday and woke up in a great mood today because of it.

I still think that if LVG stays we'll continue being the new Arsenal/Liverpool, because even on the rare occasions we play well, we're still miles off competing with the best - team sheet and tactics alike.
I agree with this. So many people on here think you're the devils bollock if you don't have that simplistic mindset.

peridigm

To think, we've only scored 42 goals in the league this season. A couple of years ago, Chelsea and Arsenal both netted more than 100.
As did Liverpool at 102 and would have won the league if it weren't for, ahem, the slip.

We need an rvn

well said

Orange

It's also shortsighted to still blame a manager for having one bad month in a whole competition. December is the only month that we have been really bad resultswise, the other months have been OK. Look at where we would have been now if that month would have been the same as the other months. We would have had 6-9 points more and would have been at least 3rd. With a team full of 18 year olds, that's not bad. Yes, at times the matches have been boring, but also Barcelona was not created in one day: these players have been playing in the exact same system from age 12 and had years and years of practice. The same thing you see with Rashford and Fosu-Mensah, they have played in LvG's system in the youth under Warren Joyce for almost 2 years and now slot very well. Schneiderlin, Darmian and all other summer buys just had 8 months.
In the end, we should always aim to return to title contenders, but we have had to do a massive rebuild. Now the dust clouds are fading, we can see a new team, built around Martial, Rashford etc. starting to form. Exciting times!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
As it stands, we still haven't hit what Ronaldo/Rooney managed alone in our 2007/08 season, with only four games to go.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

We've worryingly already started to become this, in many respects. There's been a lot of talk regarding our turnaround since Christmas and improvement in form when we haven't won more than two consecutive league games, and not long ago had our arses handed to us by a far better Spurs team. We've largely become a team who get incredibly excited at winning a couple of games consecutively because it's a rarity, as opposed to the norm. Obviously it's still great to be in an FA Cup final and to have done very well yesterday, but it's easy to see that standards have really been lowered as we've become used to finish 4th or lower since Fergie left.

Minimalist

Winning the FA Cup and (unlikely) sneaking the 4th position would be happy send off for him. There's still no way in hell it can be justified that he deserves to stay because of that.

He was supposed to challenge for the title. He failed. We've been shite all season bar a performance here or there.
Out of the League Cup by Championship opposition.
Out of a mediocre CL group. Dicked by our fiercest rivals in the EL, after having a scare against some side none of us had ever heard of.

We just about got through the FA Cup at all stages and now we're delighted to be in the final.

It's not good enough and there's very little evidence from the past two years that LVG as a coach can produce what we need. He has to go and winning the FA Cup would be a good send off for him.

eggwithsideburns

Winning the fa cup and finishing above Chelsea, Liverpool and possibly one of city or Arsenal whilst bringing through young players wouldn't be all that bad, obviously nowhere near good enough for a club with our ambitions but acceptable still. Were in transition and have a promising young team so hopefully its the beginning of something, add a trophy to that and LVG's time here can be remembered in a positive light. We are all very happy with the young players coming through, we cant have it all our way and expect to be challenging for the title with young players, not in this super competitive era. I think its the emergence of the young players that has been the one big positive of the season. I really hope we can finish in the top 4 and win the fa cup, we would be happy and LVG can leave with his head held semi high.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Van Gaal insists he's done the best he can with the players he's got

“I have said everything in advance. We need quick, creative players. I’ve said that, also in the transfer period.

“That’s a tricky remark of me because I have to manage players whose quality is not always what I want. But still we are here, still we are fighting for the fourth place, also we are in the final of the FA Cup.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ball-news/man-utd-van-gaal-transfers-11233215

Brophs

The One and Only
Van Gaal insists he's done the best he can with the players he's got

“I have said everything in advance. We need quick, creative players. I’ve said that, also in the transfer period.

“That’s a tricky remark of me because I have to manage players whose quality is not always what I want.
But still we are here, still we are fighting for the fourth place, also we are in the final of the FA Cup.”

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ball-news/man-utd-van-gaal-transfers-11233215
I mean, I'm racking my brain for ways he could have avoided that. Nothing comes to mind, though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's also shortsighted to still blame a manager for having one bad month in a whole competition. December is the only month that we have been really bad resultswise, the other months have been OK. Look at where we would have been now if that month would have been the same as the other months. We would have had 6-9 points more and would have been at least 3rd. With a team full of 18 year olds, that's not bad. Yes, at times the matches have been boring, but also Barcelona was not created in one day: these players have been playing in the exact same system from age 12 and had years and years of practice. The same thing you see with Rashford and Fosu-Mensah, they have played in LvG's system in the youth under Warren Joyce for almost 2 years and now slot very well. Schneiderlin, Darmian and all other summer buys just had 8 months.
In the end, we should always aim to return to title contenders, but we have had to do a massive rebuild. Now the dust clouds are fading, we can see a new team, built around Martial, Rashford etc. starting to form. Exciting times!
The past two years have been a massive mound of shit with a few sprinkles of glitter thrown in.
You can't be serious saying that we've only been bad for one month?

We've worryingly already started to become this, in many respects. There's been a lot of talk regarding our turnaround since Christmas and improvement in form when we haven't won more than two consecutive league games, and not long ago had our arses handed to us by a far better Spurs team. We've largely become a team who get incredibly excited at winning a couple of games consecutively because it's a rarity, as opposed to the norm. Obviously it's still great to be in an FA Cup final and to have done very well yesterday, but it's easy to see that standards have really been lowered as we've become used to finish 4th or lower since Fergie left.
I can already feel that people are preparing themselves to say 'ha! look, LVG did it, look how wrong you all were', when in reality we've still struggled for 4th and potentially won a cup, that while great n all, was always seen as secondary (because it is). We're supposed to be competing with the top teams in Europe, but our team sheet is laughable compared to theirs and I can't see it getting much better with someone like LVG in charge. Some players will have to make way to improve those positions on the pitch, and it's probably gonna be one or two favourites/youngsters. I can deal with that personally, because it's better than being Liverpool. Some seem adamant that it will be terrible if this was to happen. Hope they're happy being the second tier team we currently are.

Orange

The past two years have been a massive mound of shit with a few sprinkles of glitter thrown in.
You can't be serious saying that we've only been bad for one month?
You can discuss about how enjoyable the matches were, but other than December that results have been okay considering the team we have. From Fergie's 12/13 squad, a lot of players retired or weren't/are no longer good enough to play in the first team of United. Only Rooney, DDG and Smalling (Carrick if I'm stretching it) were good enough to still make an impact today. That means we had to bring in at least 7 new first squad players, not even counting the mediocre players that we had on the bench. If we would have been really lucky and had a season without injuries, we could have challenged for the title, but at this point in time quality-wise we have the fourth squad in the league (after Arsenal, Chelsea and City). The potential for our team is sky high though, so with some good additions in the summer we may be able to make the next step next year.

Tyrion

Their videos have been the main highight of LVG's time here.

I can already feel that people are preparing themselves to say 'ha! look, LVG did it, look how wrong you all were', when in reality we've still struggled for 4th and potentially won a cup, that while great n all, was always seen as secondary (because it is). We're supposed to be competing with the top teams in Europe, but our team sheet is laughable compared to theirs and I can't see it getting much better with someone like LVG in charge. Some players will have to make way to improve those positions on the pitch, and it's probably gonna be one or two favourites/youngsters. I can deal with that personally, because it's better than being Liverpool. Some seem adamant that it will be terrible if this was to happen. Hope they're happy being the second tier team we currently are.
It's bizarre. The poll results had 'Sack him now' at over 72% for weeks now. It's just gone under. A lot of people have really low expectations for us for some reason; as long as we're 'bringing through young players' (i.e. giving them a handful of games), results are irrelevant. I am starting to think he's done more damage than Moyes now given how far he's driven down expectations.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It's bizarre. The poll results had 'Sack him now' at over 72% for weeks now. It's just gone under. A lot of people have really low expectations for us for some reason; as long as we're 'bringing through young players' (i.e. giving them a handful of games), results are irrelevant. I am starting to think he's done more damage than Moyes now given how far he's driven down expectations.
And our last three wins were against Aston Villa the worst PL side since Derby County 07-08, Crystal Palace who have had Aston Villa type form since January and Everton whose defensive organization is non existent.

Tyrion

The potential for our team is sky high though, so with some good additions in the summer we may be able to make the next step next year.
How is the potential high? I can't see Lingard, Darmian or Jones ever being good enough for a top European side and Memphis and Martial are no better than when they first came here. The team's level has been dragged down enough that kids can come in, without any coaching from him and outshine the players we have.

He's given out a few games to young players but anyone can do that. I don't see any improvement in them to justify the appalling performances we've put in.

LouisDanGaal

I am still in the sack him now camp but I wouldn't be surprised if people moved over to the evaluate him at the end of the season camp. A pretty definite way to disrupt a squad is to sack the manager and to the person saying the teams we have beaten are palace villa and everton, palace is also the team we face in the final, so I think its pretty fine if LVG has a way to beat them again.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You can discuss about how enjoyable the matches were, but other than December that results have been okay considering the team we have. From Fergie's 12/13 squad, a lot of players retired or weren't/are no longer good enough to play in the first team of United. Only Rooney, DDG and Smalling (Carrick if I'm stretching it) were good enough to still make an impact today. That means we had to bring in at least 7 new first squad players, not even counting the mediocre players that we had on the bench. If we would have been really lucky and had a season without injuries, we could have challenged for the title, but at this point in time quality-wise we have the fourth squad in the league (after Arsenal, Chelsea and City). The potential for our team is sky high though, so with some good additions in the summer we may be able to make the next step next year.
Have the results been ok? Because I still see us struggling for 4th place after decent amount of spending.
And we've barely scraped a good percentage of our points.

How high is the potential with LVG? Because he's already essentially been given as good as unlimited resources and our team is still weak. And he hasn't managed to get the best from a lot of players.
What top tier players will want to play for a team struggling to get in Europe? If can't attract them then we can only bring more of the same in, further cementing us as a second rate team.

I would say that the potential is sky high if we bring a decent manager in, who will give a reason for better players to come and won't think twice about dropping someone to replace with better. Keep the youth but they shouldn't all be 1st choice imo.

peridigm

We've scored 1 goal or less in 23 league games this season. We scored zero in 10 of those 23, 10! I agree, he is worse than Moyes, by a long shot. Moyes did not have a chance to build his squad. Moyes inherited a champion team that half of them felt they were bigger than what he was capable of doing with them. Rightly so I'm sure, but given the fact that LVG has been here longer, spent more, and put players in his desired position for that player, he is a failure.

Sereques

The way people talk here, you do think they've been to the future and can confirm the next manager will be successful. What if the next one is also a failure? We continue to fire managers until we get lucky?

Sereques

How exactly has he done more damage than Moyes? Even if we finish 5th, we still have Europa League, it beneath us but it's still something. Did people forget that Moyes finished 7th?

He has not done better than Moyes though.

Marcus

I have changed my vote. Not because we qualified for a final, but that he finally has the team playing in a way which brings excitement to my veins. If he keeps this style of play till the end of the season, I can be persuaded.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What if the next one is also a failure? We continue to fire managers until we get lucky?
If he's a failure, then sure - what else can we do? You evaluate the performance and go from there. Not winning anything - to make the most obvious example - isn't necessary a failure, though. I'm pretty sure the majority of the people who want LVG gone aren't of that opinion simply because he has failed in terms of results (nevermind the sort of results we used to see under Fergie): It's the conviction (or strong belief anyway) that he isn't the right man to take us any further - which is largely based on what we've served up on the pitch during his two seasons in charge.

Mal donaghy

Yea but he lacks trusts in youth/young players,specially in those who were there before him,hell he doesnt trust anyone outside his first XI.
This lacks youth analogy, is just what everyone has been brainwashed too think by the media, surely we can only comment on this once he has spent time managing us , then we can form our own opinion, not one conceived by past disgruntled players our the media.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I have changed my vote. Not because we qualified for a final, but that he finally has the team playing in a way which brings excitement to my veins. If he keeps this style of play till the end of the season, I can be persuaded.
The diabolical showing on Saturday was exciting alright. However the Idiot been talking about control, possesion since he joined

Shiva87

Now that's the 4th corner we have turned this season. So we are back where we started.
The 42 goals in 34 games stat is really damning of LVG. There is nothing he can say or do which justifies that. I liked watching us over the last month/ 6 weeks (bar 20 mins in the tottenham game) - including the hard fought victories when we haven't been playing well. But, if we keep him around after summer he is going to revert to his 2 DM line-up, and we'll be back to boring, slow, labouring football.

R'hllor

This lacks youth analogy, is just what everyone has been brainwashed too think by the media, surely we can only comment on this once he has spent time managing us , then we can form our own opinion, not one conceived by past disgruntled players our the media.
Nonsense,nobody is brainwashed by the media.Examples in the past are there,most recent ones are at the start of this season,so we can comment on it way before join us,no need to wait and see what he will do here. If he changes his way,it would probably enforced by people above him.

Status
Not open for further replies.