Television Mad Men | SPOILERS

Iron Stove

I used to quite like Betty when they were together, but now she's annoying as hell.

twitter thread suggester
I used to find her quite appealing and chamring in the first couple of seasons, but now she has gotten so annoying that it's even ruining her attractiveness.

Hitchcocker

Since when is Betty annoying and why? I have yet to watch Season 3 and 4 but as of now, I sympathize with her.

Bear Attack

I stopped in the middle of the fourth episode of the first season. Does it get better because I have yet to get into it. Granted, my expectations for television at the moment is off the charts as I just finished Breaking Bad.

Maybe I should watch The Wire instead.

Cina

Mad Men starts very slow, but by the 7th or 8th episode of the first season I started to love it, so I'd watch a few more before giving up if I were you. It's far more of a character driven show than a plot driven show (though the plot lines are strong and intricate).

The Wire starts off slow too anyway, it's only by the 8th episode of series 1 that everything comes together there as well. It's a better show than Mad Men though, obviously.

Plan M

I just bought Season 1, Tesco are currently doing it for £10. Can't wait to start it...

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Bump after all my criticism of the first season, the show really hooked me in by the bollocks after season 2, just finished season 4 and....

I hope Don stays with his fiancé, she's a cracker...but you just know by the way they ended the episode that he will get with Betty again, and that's dissapointing as she has to be the most insufferable character on television.

Hitchcocker

I don't get the criticism towards Betty. I mean the whole reason for her meltdown is because Don is a pig and cheated on her making her think she's crazy in the first place.

Giggzinho

Punjabi dude
excellent show, i too thought it was a very slow start but just got better and better.

to back up hitchcocker i dont think betty is that bad, to be fair,

don has cheated on her enough times, i think she deserves to be a bit vexed, henry seems like a cool character and don's new bird that he's marrying has some strange lookin smile

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I don't get the criticism towards Betty. I mean the whole reason for her meltdown is because Don is a pig and cheated on her making her think she's crazy in the first place.
All she did in season 4 was scold her daughter and rant about Don. She really is a pointless character.

surf

The "slow" start didn't bother me. The acting is very good, as are the opening credits and the music. The stories are too soap-opera or cliched sometimes, but the dialogue is good.
It needs more outdoor location shots. Relying on sets nearly all the time doesn't convey the New York setting. Using stories and references about real products works well.
I'm at the end of series 2. What was Don's lotus-eating AWOL spell in Palm Springs all about?

Diabo_Sam

Best series I've ever watched, and here some interesting news.

Nothing this summer :( we have to wait until March 2012

UPDATE: AMC Officially Greenlights Season 5 Of ‘Mad Men’ For March 2012 Premiere – Deadline.com

AMC being greedy bastards, hope the show will still be as good.

Mad Men season 5 finally gets the green light but will all the stars make the cut? | Mail Online

Hope Jon is much creative as Don ;)

Jon Hamm to direct season 5 'Mad Men' premiere - 05/28/2011 | Entertainment News from OnTheRedCarpet.com

Salvation

Damnation
Just got into this. Currently in Season II and the verdict until now is its a show that combines the good and boring in equal measure. Wish they'd pump up the characters' personal stories (aside from Peggy and Don's past), it's just a lot of jabberwork. Like many, I most look forward to their campaign pitches.

Those who are up to date - does the personal stories of those characters get better or does the show continue to keep the above-mentioned excellent/dire balance?

Cina

Mad Men is the best show on TV, but it's not for everyone Sal. It continues have a quite slow tempo, but the characters are very complex, and brilliantly portrayed and because of that it gets better throughout as you get to see them more.

I don't understand how you could say they don't have enough 'personal issues' though, that's what the show is all about really because the main plots generally move pretty slow.

Characters like Don, Peggy, Peter and Roger are all brilliant right from the get go.

Salvation

Damnation
Ah, good to know that it does get better. It wasn't about not having personal issues, but the pace at which they're tackled or sometimes even portrayed (find the dialogs quite dire) is too slow.

Probably cos the last show I saw was Californication which was polar opposite in terms of pace and I loved it.

Plan M

I am half way through Season 3 now. Absolutely loving it so far.

Can we please not have any spoilers? I read somewhere above about Don being married which has baffled me as he's already married to Betty at the moment.

surf

Roger should be on screen more as he has the wit. January Jones is brilliant in a 60's stepford wife role, but there is too much of Don's family and not enough about advertising.

Salvation

Damnation
Update*

Post Season 2, it does get better. Good to see them going ahead with Don and Betty's divorce and buck the "Happily Ever After" trend. Personal stories of each character does improve...sort of, but still quite dire. Aside from Ad Campaign pitches, feel they had two other things going: Draper's history and his special relationship with the original DD's ex. They do not do enough of the former and the latter they killed off...which is quite pointless. The writers still can't seem to give his ex-wife a different dimension - she remains a stubborn and naive dame. Also, her dynamic with the kids ranges from 'Go watch TV' to 'Go to bed'. Speaking of their kids, the show's anthropological outlook does fall short while characterizing the two child artists who're just there...and barely do anything. Finally, they should feature more of Roger Sterling.

Will not go all out and say this is the best thing of TV as many seem to bill it. Still, a good and gripping show.

*Contains spoilers

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
New season starts Sunday.

The Walking Dead themed trailers were pretty funny last night for those who saw them last night.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If this show was called Mad Women and Don was Donna etc you wouldn't tell if this thread is women discussing a women's show or not.

Guy Incognito

I have just acquired the 4 seasons of this (:nervous:).
Is it worth watching?
Yes. You have some iffy episodes but on the whole, I found it enjoyable. Bit annoyed that it's not on BBC Four anymore and Murdoch's goons have snatched it. Still, if ratings have anything to go by, Sky will suffer and more will just download it online.