Madeleine McCann

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There are usually children's groups during the day but part of a holiday with your children is to play in the sea or mini golf yourself I would have thought. The McCanns kids were in the children's groups all day every day from what I.have read
I suspect that's just more of the tabloid demonisation that a lot of people in this thread seem to be regurgitating.

I've been to a fair few resorts with childcare facilities and not one of them is able to take kids as young as the McCanns all day, every day. Like I said, at most they'll take them for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the afternoon. Bearing in mind the kids are usually awake for 12 hours/day, that's more than two thirds of their waking hours spent with their parents (at the very least).

QuackQuack

Handy with candles and exhausts
There are usually children's groups during the day but part of a holiday with your children is to play in the sea or mini golf yourself I would have thought. The McCanns kids were in the children's groups all day every day from what I.have read
And even in the aftermath of the disappearance. A child has gone missing, anyone could have been culpable of it. I know I wouldn't trust anyone in the area and I certainly wouldn't have safe leaving the twins.

EricaNo7

I suspect that's just more of the tabloid demonisation that a lot of people in this thread seem to be regurgitating.

I've been to a fair few resorts with childcare facilities and not one of them is able to take kids as young as the McCanns all day, every day. Like I said, at most they'll take them for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the afternoon. Bearing in mind the kids are usually awake for 12 hours/day, that's more than two thirds of their waking hours spent with their parents (at the very least).
I'm nosy ( or sad ) enough to have looked this up before and on some site or other they published each days creche lists with their names on it. Some of the theories over the poor child's disappearance beggar belief

Pogue Mahone

I'm nosy ( or sad ) enough to have looked this up before and on some site or other they published each days creche lists with their names on it. Some of the theories over the poor child's disappearance beggar belief
Once the conspiracy theory internet gimps get their teeth into any case the truth gets lost in a deluge of misinformation, half-baked theories and finger pointing. I don't know why anyone bothers wading through all the crap that's been posted about this case. It's incredibly sad and I don't think anyone will ever find out what happened. You'll certainly never find the truth online.

The most likely explanation is that two loving parents made a terrible error of judgement, a wee girl wasn't adequately monitored in her room at night, wandered off somewhere dangerous (river? sea? building site?) and won't ever be found again.

I find the character assasination of her parents incredibly distasteful. They're real people. This isn't the same thing as speculating about whether or not the lunar landings actually happened. You're posting malicious rumours online about named individuals, who have suffered a horrific bereavement. Which is really not a very nice thing to do.

EricaNo7

Once the conspiracy theory internet gimps get their teeth into any case the truth gets lost in a deluge of misinformation, half-baked theories and finger pointing. I don't know why anyone bothers wading through all the crap that's been posted about this case. It's incredibly sad and I don't think anyone will ever find out what happened. You'll certainly never find the truth online.

The most likely explanation is that two loving parents made a terrible error of judgement, a wee girl wasn't adequately monitored in her room at night, wandered off somewhere dangerous (river? sea? building site?) and won't ever be found again.

I find the character assasination of her parents incredibly distasteful. They're real people. This isn't the same thing as speculating about whether or not the lunar landings actually happened. You're posting malicious rumours online about named individuals, who have suffered a horrific bereavement. Which is really not a very nice thing to do.
I've not read through the whole thread so I have no idea what else has come up but I just find it so sad that this poor little girl isn't still with her family through what would appear to be selfishness. Of course they have to live with it for the rest of their lives and you wouldn't wish their grief on their worst enemy but there's something so dislikeable about the father. It must

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

I agree although I think (quess) her being taken in some way is probably more likely. But who knows?

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout

I don't think anyone has ever put it better.

Plugsy

Yes lets stop all the internet speculation and assume what Pogue has imagined happened on an online messageboard is true. That works.

I don't understand why people wish to sweep everything under a 'nothing to see here' carpet. Child vanishes in mysterious circumstances. Why the assumption that people sure that nothing untoward happened as far as the parents are concerned, is correct? We all know as little as each other so for anyone to get on their high horse and pontificate that their presumed outcome of what happened that evening is somehow morally superior to anyone else's is rubbish.It seems if you just decide by yourself anything untoward is "tabloid rubbish" you're allowed to speculate on whatever you like and assume the high-ground because of it.

Livvie

Scout
Yes lets stop all the internet speculation and assume what Pogue has imagined happened on an online messageboard is true. That works.

I don't understand why people wish to sweep everything under a 'nothing to see here' carpet. Child vanishes in mysterious circumstances. Why the assumption that people sure that nothing untoward happened as far as the parents are concerned, is correct?
Is it logical that the McCanns would have done everything possible to make sure Maddie's disappearance stayed high-profile, even to the extent of pushing for the Met. to get involved, if they had anything to do with it.

If they had been involved, they'd have just let it fade into oblivion.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is it logical that the McCanns would have done everything possible to make sure Maddie's disappearance stayed high-profile, even to the extent of pushing for the Met. to get involved, if they had anything to do with it.

If they had been involved, they'd have just let it fade into oblivion.
Because it wouldn't be the first time a parent or parents have killed their child, or indeed been complicit in the disappearance of their child, and then run to the media and the police.

Livvie

Scout
Because it wouldn't be the first time a parent or parents have killed their child, or indeed been complicit in the disappearance of their child, and then run to the media and the police.
Yes, in the immediate aftermath - like the mother of Shannon Matthews for example - but not when it's all died down, all but forgotten. There's a world of difference between acting a part to convince people you weren't involved, and then actively pushing for the case to remain open.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Yes, in the immediate aftermath - like the mother of Shannon Matthews for example - but not when it's all died down, all but forgotten. There's a world of difference between acting a part to convince people you weren't involved, and then actively pushing for the case to remain open.
They're making a lot of money by keeping the case open......

Not sure what I believe though in all honesty.

Livvie

Scout
I think that money is well monitored and being used for the search for Madeleine (and I think other children too, though I may be wrong about that). Any kind of fraud would have been picked up on because there are enough people just waiting to get something on the McCanns.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Don't bother Livvie. No point trying to convince people with no empathy or common sense that tabloid garbage isn't the truth.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thing is, the McCanns were the most clear, obvious and identifiable potential suspects anyone investigating the case had to work with. You can bet they've been the subject of more scrutiny and investigation than anyone else involved. So it's not quite true to suggest that this speculation is as likely as any other scenario, it has already been investigated to death with no results.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers

I don't understand why people wish to sweep everything under a 'nothing to see here' carpet. Child vanishes in mysterious circumstances. Why the assumption that people sure that nothing untoward happened as far as the parents are concerned, is correct? We all know as little as each other so for anyone to get on their high horse and pontificate that their presumed outcome of what happened that evening is somehow morally superior to anyone else's is rubbish.It seems if you just decide by yourself anything untoward is "tabloid rubbish" you're allowed to speculate on whatever you like and assume the high-ground because of it.
Totally agree.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
Don't bother Livvie. No point trying to convince people with no empathy or common sense that tabloid garbage isn't the truth.
Exactly what Plugsy just said - so because some people don't agree with your view on what happened, you have determined that they lack any empathy or common sense.

All you have done is thread is deride anyone who has a different opinion to the hypothesis that she was abducted and branded them as people who swallow anything the tabloids say.

The fact is that the majority of tabloids have followed the 'official' hypothesis that the McCanns themselves put forward - because otherwise they find themselves getting sued by the McCanns.

Every time someone has a different opinion to you, you climb back on your high horse and pontificate.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Exactly what Plugsy just said - so because some people don't agree with your view on what happened, you have determined that they lack any empathy or common sense.

All you have done is thread is deride anyone who has a different opinion to the hypothesis that she was abducted and branded them as people who swallow anything the tabloids say.

The fact is that the majority of tabloids have followed the 'official' hypothesis that the McCanns themselves put forward - because otherwise they find themselves getting sued by the McCanns.

Every time someone has a different opinion to you, you climb back on your high horse and pontificate.
No. I think the lack of empathy is demonstrated by the complete lack of empathy and the preference for conspiracy theory and/or feelings of moral superiority by blaming the parents. You see this behaviour all the time. Kids going missing make people scared. If you can blame bad parenting then good parents (or people who presume that they would be good parents) have nothing to worry about. It isn't even necessarily a conscious thing.

Anyone who believes anything the tabloids say (or even reads them most likely) is an idiot as they make stuff up all the time. All they care about is selling newspapers. They don't care if they get sued as they have already made more money that it would cost.

Of course the police are going to investigate the parents. They would be foolish not to, even ones as seemingly incompetent as the Portuguese police who "investigated" the McCanns, but since there was no evidence of them being involved and since everything else that has happened since makes it virtually inconceivable that they had anything to do with it I can't see why you would want to cling to "the parents did it" theory? Apart from anything else they would have to be clinically insane to keep pushing it all these years later if they were involved.

There are many possibilities but parental involvement is only slightly more likely than alien abduction.

Last edited:

Ducklegs

No. I think the lack of empathy is demonstrated by the complete lack of empathy and the preference for conspiracy theory and/or feelings of moral superiority by blaming the parents. You see this behaviour all the time. Kids going missing make people scared. If you can blame bad parenting then good parents (or people who presume that they would be good parents) have nothing to worry about. It isn't even necessarily a conscious thing.

Anyone who believes anything the tabloids say (or even reads them most likely) is an idiot as they make stuff up all the time. All they care about is selling newspapers. They don't care if they get sued as they have already made more money that it would cost.

Of course the police are going to investigate the parents. They would be foolish not to, even ones as seemingly incompetent as the Portuguese police who "investigated" the McCanns, but since there was no evidence of them being involved and since everything else that has happened since makes it virtually inconceivable that they had anything to do with it I can't see why you would want to cling to "the parents did it" theory? Apart from anything else they would have to be clinically insane to keep pushing it all these years later if they were involved.

There are many possibilities but parental involvement is only slightly more likely than alien abduction.
So even the tabloids that report the story that you are inclined to believe are lying as well?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
So even the tabloids that report the story that you are inclined to believe are lying as well?
If the Mail or Sun told me it was sunny I'd take an umbrella. If I ever agree with an opinion in one of these rags I seriously examine my opinion again. Of course The Mail is the worst as they will flip flop as long as it sells papers.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
They are in the business of selling papers, not telling the truth.
I think his point was that the majority of tabloids are all actually subscribing to the abduction hypothesis and therefore aligned to your own thoughts and beliefs on what happened.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I think his point was that the majority of tabloids are all actually subscribing to the abduction hypothesis and therefore aligned to your own thoughts and beliefs on what happened.
I don't really care what the tabloids think. You know who else subscribes to the abduction theory? The police.

afrocentricity

I don't really care what the tabloids think. You know who else subscribes to the abduction theory? The police.
Have they said that?

I figured they are just doing their jobs and exploring all avenues...

Plugsy

the thing that was so surprising is that the theory the parents were involved should have been initially thoroughly investigated if only to serve to rule them out. It seems strange that there was such a desperation from British police/officials to, if not obstruct, then strong-arm the Portuguese police away from this line. It seems as if even before there was reason to be sure of their innocence it was some kind of diplomatic incident to treat them as suspects. Which was all quite odd.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
the thing that was so surprising is that the theory the parents were involved should have been initially thoroughly investigated if only to serve to rule them out. It seems strange that there was such a desperation from British police/officials to, if not obstruct, then strong-arm the Portuguese police away from this line. It seems as if even before there was reason to be sure of their innocence it was some kind of diplomatic incident to treat them as suspects. Which was all quite odd.
Possibly not so much the fact the Portuguese police were investigating the parents but the the way they went about it.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Sorry to sound ignorant but I have not really kept up to date with this case. Is there a specific reason to why this case is being pursued years after it happened as opposed to other cases which go on a 'backburner' after a while...?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Sorry to sound ignorant but I have not really kept up to date with this case. Is there a specific reason to why this case is being pursued years after it happened as opposed to other cases which go on a 'backburner' after a while...?
To be brutally honest, because she is a beautiful young white girl. As horrible as that sounds its what the media and people pay attention to

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
McCann 'Twitter troll' found dead in hotel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-29501646

New low for Sky News.
Don't be ridiculous. Blaming sky news.

Their reporters found out that she was one of the ones posting vile stuff about the McCanns and their surviving children, found her and asked her some pretty mild questions.

She then disappeared and has now apparently killed herself, perhaps faced with the fact that her disgusting words weren't as anonymous as she thought.

Sky News haven't done anything wrong here, unless you call exposing someone's darkest, most evil secrets as "wrong".

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pretty much agree with Pexbo. If you decide to publish something on twitter then you should be prepared to stand over it in real life. If you can't handle being called out on the abuse you post then don't post abuse. I don't see why Sky wouldn't be entitled to question her about it.

Pogue Mahone

Don't be ridiculous. Blaming sky news.

Their reporters found out that she was one of the ones posting vile stuff about the McCanns and their surviving children, found her and asked her some pretty mild questions.

She then disappeared and has now apparently killed herself, perhaps faced with the fact that her disgusting words weren't as anonymous as she thought.

Sky News haven't done anything wrong here, unless you call exposing someone's darkest, most evil secrets as "wrong".
From the very few tweets I've seen in articles about her, what she posted was fairly tame. She seemed very angry with the parents, presumably on the basis she thought they were somehow responsible for Madeleine's death. It wasn't the kind of really repulsive trolling you see from the type of low-lives who specialise in that sort of thing though. Came across more as someone who was just a bit thick, rather than anything more malignant.

I agree that that nobody should post stuff on social media anonymously that they wouldn't do in person but I don't really understand why this woman ended up getting door-stepped when there are so many other examples of genuinely unpleasant trolls for them to pick on. Unless I there are really bad tweets that didn't get mentioned in the press?