Madeleine McCann

ciderman9000000

Nobody knows how, why or by whom she was kidnapped, so it's impossible to say one way or another whether she's still alive.

LARulz

Does anyone believe this wee girl is still alive?
Not really but I think its just for closure purposes. You do get cases of people just reappearing a fair few years later so who knows. Its the not knowing one way or another which makes everything worse I assume.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
She could be alive but the odds must be tiny. You do hear about those cases with people being found years and years later but they are so rare. Would be hard to give her more than 10% odds (to give a random guess with little or no basis behind it).

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sadly, if she was alive when the it started to get worldwide attention, I doubt it was for very long considering how famous she became.

You hope that the unlikely happens and he is found safe but it's more likely he remains are found a long time from now.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Don't be ridiculous. Lets not start this sort of bollocks again. The idea that the family had anything to do with her disappearance was ludicrous at the time and hasn't got any more sensible since.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'd love her to have been kidnapped for adoption purposes but you do fear that if she is alive her fate since has been somewhat less pleasant. In fact even thinking about what may have happened to this poor little girl is too upsetting to consider for very long.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Sadly, if she was alive when the it started to get worldwide attention, I doubt it was for very long considering how famous she became.

You hope that the unlikely happens and he is found safe but it's more likely he remains are found a long time from now.
He? Has she had a sex change as a disguise?

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Based on what?
I'm not saying they killed her but leaving your young children in a room alone in a foreign country just seems a bit irresponsible. I know weren't that far away but we're talking about little babies in a strange place, a lot can go wrong.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm not saying they killed her but leaving your young children in a room alone in a foreign country just seems a bit irresponsible. I know weren't that far away but we're talking about little babies in a strange place, a lot can go wrong.
So nothing, then?

Brophs

The One and Only
They contributed because they created the situation and their irresponsibility made it possible for someone to abduct or possibly murder their child.
So to go back to my original question, you have no basis for saying "someone close to the family knows something"?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

If she was killed then statistically it probably happened within a few hours of her disappearance, way before it gained worldwide attention. Something like 75% of kids who are killed in these situations are dead within the first three hours.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
So to go back to my original question, you have no basis for saying "someone close to the family knows something"?
Maybe a friend or someone who knew they left the kids alone. Someone who noticed the kids were not with them. It had to be someone familiar with the family maybe a guest. Close the the family not necessarily related but just someone who knows when the children were left alone.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Any time I see people suggest that either the parents or their friends were involved I'm reminded of the Jeanbenet Ramsey case. The parents in that case were under constant and widespread suspicion of having killed their child until DNA evidence eventually corroborated their version of events. Just goes to show how pointless speculation is when you have zero proof or insight into the situation.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Yeah that is true but you can't eliminate suspects unless you have proof. The DNA evidence cleared the Ramseys but until the have solid proof they have to keep everyone under the radar.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24513267

Is it me or do the e-fits from the witnesses of supposedly same man look absolutely nothing alike? Coupled with this description:

The witnesses said the man was white, 20 to 40 years old and of medium build. He had short brown hair, was clean-shaven and of medium height, they added.
It's hardly anything to go on is it? E-fits where neither one looks like the other, and a description that fits millions of people. It really seems to be beyond clutching at straws, this whole reopening the investigation.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
What i don't understand is why that actaul feck would you leave the three year old girl on her own? In this country or any other, why would you leave a three year old by herself?

I genuinely hope that Maddie was kidnapped and sold to a family that couldn't have children and have showed her nothing but love and kindness, sadly as the weeks, months and years go by I fear that this isn't the case and I fear what has happened to that poor little girl if she is alive.

I also hate the fact her mother has published a book, It might sound harsh but quite frankley, if my irresponsible parenting had led to a disappearence of my daughter (god forbid) I would never give up until she was found, but the furthest thing from my mind would be to cash in on the whole affair.

zing

Zingle balls
What i don't understand is why that actaul feck would you leave the three year old girl on her own? In this country or any other, why would you leave a three year old by herself?

I genuinely hope that Maddie was kidnapped and sold to a family that couldn't have children and have showed her nothing but love and kindness, sadly as the weeks, months and years go by I fear that this isn't the case and I fear what has happened to that poor little girl if she is alive.

I also hate the fact her mother has published a book, It might sound harsh but quite frankley, if my irresponsible parenting had led to a disappearence of my daughter (god forbid) I would never give up until she was found, but the furthest thing from my mind would be to cash in on the whole affair.
Completely baffled that there's a book out about it by her own mum. fecking hell.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Why wouldn't the mother publish a book if it led to funding and publicity for their attempts to keep the case in the public consciousness? Cases like this happen regularly and are usually forgotten quite quickly, the McCanns have done an excellent job keeping the public constantly aware for this long.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Why wouldn't the mother publish a book if it led to funding and publicity for their attempts to keep the case in the public consciousness? Cases like this happen regularly and are usually forgotten quite quickly, the McCanns have done an excellent job keeping the public constantly aware for this long.
Because in most cases, the disappearence isn't a direct result of awful parenting.

Admittadly, funding their own investigation was needed, but to write an in depth book about their missing daughter just goes against the grain for me.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Any time I see people suggest that either the parents or their friends were involved I'm reminded of the Jeanbenet Ramsey case. The parents in that case were under constant and widespread suspicion of having killed their child until DNA evidence eventually corroborated their version of events. Just goes to show how pointless speculation is when you have zero proof or insight into the situation.
If you're asked to discuss it, you can only be truthful and say what you really feel. If you're right or wrong it doesn't matter, it's not like your personal opinion would hold any sway.

I personally have a gut feeling that the parents were involved. I think they sedated the child and left her alone so they could go out. I think they accidently overdosed her, panicked and hid her body. In the absence of any proof together with claims of a cover up by Portuguese authorities, it's actually hard for me to look elsewhere, tbh. I'd love to be proven wrong and for her to be found, alive, after being kidnapped for adoption or whatever but that isn't my gut feeling.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
They have made a fortune out of her disappearance. If they ever do find out what happened they will make even more from the movie and the sequels (Maddie The Return etc...)

I don’t for a moment suspect the parents, but they were totally irresponsible and failed in protecting their child and have milked the whole thing ever since. Their appearance on Oprah took the biscuit.

How come I have never heard of any of these kids -

http://www.missingkids.co.uk/

Scrumpet

There are no words
Is it really? Doesn't sound too detailed to me. They accidently killed her and covered it up, whats detailed about that?
The sedation, overdose angle was a splurge of detail I wasn't expecting. These theories don't normally extend beyond "they look like they did it".