Madeleine McCann

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I can’t fathom leaving any of my kids (aged 9, 4 and 2) alone and regularly checking in on them whilst going for dinner. I just came back from Italy with them, we had a nice restaurant located right next to us and I wouldn’t contemplate going there and leaving them.

It’s not just the fear of abduction, but what if they woke up due to a nightmare or threw up, choked etc.
But this was maybe normal for them.
Weren't they both GPs or something similar?
So a lot of work and maybe they often relied on others nannying their children.

I too have said that I would have never done that. But, I have a certain character and my kids frequently woke up in that age.

At the end of the day the criminals should be blamed.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
But this was maybe normal for them.
Weren't they both GPs or something similar?
So a lot of work and maybe they often relied on others nannying their children.

I too have said that I would have never done that. But, I have a certain character and my kids frequently woke up in that age.

At the end of the day the criminals should be blamed.
@Lay

My daughters are 5 and 2 and haven't even been left alone overnight with family yet, never mind in a hotel room in a foreign country... I totally, totally, get needing time away from them for sanity's sake but it's just not something I'd ever feel comfortable doing at all.

The parents are victims as much as the child and I suppose they have to live with the guilt of not being there to protect their daughter, which is punishment enough I'd say.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
@Lay

My daughters are 5 and 2 and haven't even been left alone overnight with family yet, never mind in a hotel room in a foreign country... I totally, totally, get needing time away from them for sanity's sake but it's just not something I'd ever feel comfortable doing at all.

The parents are victims as much as the child and I suppose they have to live with the guilt of not being there to protect their daughter, which is punishment enough I'd say.
There’s needing time away from them and then there’s abandoning them. You just wouldn’t do it. Especially in a foreign country. If you go out without them then you make sure you have another family member looking after them.

That'sHernandez

There’s needing time away from them and then there’s abandoning them. You just wouldn’t do it. Especially in a foreign country. If you go out without them then you make sure you have another family member looking after them.
No argument here mate, I went to see Stewart Lee with my wife last Monday and didn't even feel comfortable making a night of it knowing my Mum was looking after my two daughters.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Ultimately no, but it would have been a hell of a twist to the story. The girl seemed earnest, even if it felt a million to one shot.
She sounds like she wanted a way out of her current life. Maybe she was hoping that she could somehow escape and I don't think she will be okay after all this. If there was a history of abuse in her life and now she has confirmation that it's the only life she'll have, she won't be in a good place.

Sara125

Some stuff was found in a reservoir that could be of substance. It’s being sent in for testing last I checked.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I can’t fathom leaving any of my kids (aged 9, 4 and 2) alone and regularly checking in on them whilst going for dinner. I just came back from Italy with them, we had a nice restaurant located right next to us and I wouldn’t contemplate going there and leaving them.

It’s not just the fear of abduction, but what if they woke up due to a nightmare or threw up, choked etc.
And I am sure that there is not a minute when they don't regret that action.

Toblerone92

No argument here mate, I went to see Stewart Lee with my wife last Monday and didn't even feel comfortable making a night of it knowing my Mum was looking after my two daughters.
So your mother, who I assume raised you, isn’t capable of looking after your children? Worried she’ll be giving them ice lollies and pear cider?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So your mother, who I assume raised you, isn’t capable of looking after your children? Worried she’ll be giving them ice lollies and pear cider?
I don’t want to answer for TH but my dad raised me. He’s now 74 with alzheimer's on setting and there’s no way in hell he will be baby sitting my son. It’s almost like people in their 60/70/80s might not be as capable as people in their 20/30/40s

That'sHernandez

No, more that my daughters aren't used to not having myself or my wife if they wake up at night. It's nothing to do with my mother and everything to do with the needs of my children.

That'sHernandez

I don’t want to answer for TH but my dad raised me. He’s now 74 with alzheimer's on setting and there’s no way in hell he will be baby sitting my son. It’s almost like people in their 60/70/80s might not be as capable as people in their 20/30/40s
My mum does look after my two year old daughter three days a week. It can be really frustrating hearing her struggle with her from time to time because she's not as mobile as she once was, and just the way she parented is different to the way I parent now because the way to parent has changed in the last 25-30 years... But as I say in my post above it's not about not trusting my mum, it's about what happens if my daughters wake up and need me or my wife and we aren't there to comfort them.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Is it a generational thing though? I feel like younger parents are less inclined to leave their kids alone at all but it was a lot more acceptable (and more necessary) in years gone by.

I dunno, I feel like people are unnecessarily harsh on them. It's a big price to pay for going out for a dinner, for having one break. I find it a little inhumane not to give a little slack there - no parent is watching their child 100% of the time and everyone makes mistakes along the way. Sure in Denmark they leave babies in their cots, outside of supermarkets.

This is assuming they didn't murder her or something. Then I wouldn't give them any slack personally.

Hope the new clue is something substantial and not just a means of justifying the additional expense.

UpWithRivers

What I found dodgy was the mother went into the room, saw she was missing and immediately ran out screaming that she was kidnapped. This seems dodgey as fk to me. Firstly why would that be your first thought? You surely would think that she got up and walked out or is hiding somewhere, or some other parent moved her to another bed maybe? Your immediate thought wouldn't be kidnapped would it? Secondly if she thought she was kidnapped why leave the babies in the fkn room unguarded and go to get the father? Thats another fkin stupid thing to do. You would guard the fk out of your other kids and start screaming? No? And thirdly they didn't help with the search. Why? Id be banging down doors and going fkn mental at anyone that looked half dodgy.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
What I found dodgy was the mother went into the room, saw she was missing and immediately ran out screaming that she was kidnapped. This seems dodgey as fk to me. Firstly why would that be your first thought? You surely would think that she got up and walked out or is hiding somewhere, or some other parent moved her to another bed maybe? Your immediate thought wouldn't be kidnapped would it? Secondly if she thought she was kidnapped why leave the babies in the fkn room unguarded and go to get the father? Thats another fkin stupid thing to do. You would guard the fk out of your other kids and start screaming? No? And thirdly they didn't help with the search. Why? Id be banging down doors and going fkn mental at anyone that looked half dodgy.
It's almost as if people don't act rationally when they find out one of their children is missing and might be in danger.

Conor

It is but if I don’t think they are ready and I get peace of mind, what’s the issue? They’re my kids
Yeah, I mean do whatever you think is best, but it sounds like it's limiting you from enjoying some needed time with no kids. They usually get over that phase pretty quickly.

That'sHernandez

Yeah, I mean do whatever you think is best, but it sounds like it's limiting you from enjoying some needed time with no kids. They usually get over that phase pretty quickly.
It’s probably a me thing more than anything to be fair, my wife seems comfortable with the idea and she gets more anxious about them than I do usually. It’s the little one I’m more concerned about because the older one sleeps through these days