Madeleine McCann

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
How was he to know your wife is Brazilian? I certainly didn't before this post.
My apologies I overreacted. Though this is the sort of racist stuff my wife has week in week out living in the UK, people assume she's doing certain jobs.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I knew it'd be a Sun story before I saw the link. Sheesh.

SteveJ

Scout
'Ban this sick filth' indeed...

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I’ve said from day one that Kate and Gerry McCann are behind it.

Their behaviour, particularly in the aftermath after Madeline went missing, was odd to say the least. (Now I’m not saying that there is a correct way to behave after a tragic event such as a disappearance of your child, but there’s been something about Kate and Gerry McCann’s behaviour from the off that doesn’t sit right with me.). Then there’s the fact that there’s absolutely no evidence of Madeline’s disappearance; in a day & age of CCTV’s and what have you that’s more or less impossible. Considering Kate and Gerry McCann’s professions they would have knowledge of forensics. Finally, we know Madeline was a very difficult child and that could provide the motive or explanation for what happened (medication that went wrong for example?).

I hope I’m wrong and I feel guilty about judging people I know very little about, but I can’t help thinking what I think.
Nah, the window in which they would have had to act was way too short for them to be able to do everything so perfectly. I think it was one of their friends who went on a walk to look after the children at one point so they would have had to get them involved too.

What I find strange is that they immediately assumed that she had been taken when they returned and saw her missing. When a 4-year old is left at home alone, with the door wide open, initial assumption would be that she wandered off somewhere rather than kidnapping. Also, the frequency with which they were supposed to look at kids was weird too, I mean they were not afraid to leave them home alone (multiple families) but were careful enough to be looking after them every 10 minutes? These are the only two things that could suggest that it was somehow planned but also do not provide any evidence of it and could be purely coincidential.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
feck off with your first comment, pathetic to say the least, and racist. Why would you presume my wife is a cook or a maid because she is Brazilian, absolutely abhorrent. You are proving my comment right with your racist comments.

Yes some bad apples in all parties, I did say brazilians have an axe to grind, read the fecking thread.

@mods, can this person be banned?
Here in riverside NJ all the Brazilian women I know are maids and the men are construction workers. You must have a problem with women working as maids because the first Portuguese generation here was the same and they worked as maids and in factories but now the second and third generation have several different jobs.

Last edited:

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
My apologies I overreacted. Though this is the sort of racist stuff my wife has week in week out living in the UK, people assume she's doing certain jobs.
Here in the states they assume I'm Hispanic all the time and I don't give a shit even when they try to speak Spanish to me - happens constantly because I work in a school district and only the Hispanic teachers - born outside US, know Portugal is across the pound (ok a few teachers can show where Portugal is in a map):lol:

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Here in riverside NJ all the Brazilian women I know are maids and the men are construction workers. You must have a problem with women working as maids because the first Portuguese generation here was the same and they worked as maids and in factories but now the second and third generation have several different jobs.
No the problem I have is they assume she is working here illegally.

Sarni

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a cook or a maid. Both jobs are very hard, very needed and completely fair.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
You are 100 % right. I wouldn't describe that as xaenophobia though.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a cook or a maid. Both jobs are very hard, very needed and completely fair.
I don't think that anyone in the thread has said that. I said some Brazilians get pissed off with Portuguese assuming that they are cooks and maids, and talk down to them. The issue for my wife in the UK is that some people assume she is here illegally, and that she is engaged in a range of jobs from waitress to prostitute. It's the stereotyping and racism I have a problem with, not what someone's occupation is.

Sarni

I don't think that anyone in the thread has said that. I said some Brazilians get pissed off with Portuguese assuming that they are cooks and maids, and talk down to them. The issue for my wife in the UK is that some people assume she is here illegally, and that she is engaged in a range of jobs from waitress to prostitute. It's the stereotyping and racism I have a problem with, not what someone's occupation is.
Stereotyping does happen everywhere though, it's not exclusive to certain countries. I wouldn't count Portugal or UK as particularly xenophobic, they'd probably be close to the lower end of the list actually. I get where you are coming from though, I remember how hard I had to argue back in 2012 before Euro in Poland that we were not racist idiots.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Stereotyping does happen everywhere though, it's not exclusive to certain countries. I wouldn't count Portugal or UK as particularly xenophobic, they'd probably be close to the lower end of the list actually. I get where you are coming from though, I remember how hard I had to argue back in 2012 before Euro in Poland that we were not racist idiots.
It does, my comment that sparked this was just that Brazilians may have a different opinion of Portuguese than the one put forward. Racism, and stereotyping exists everywhere, consciously, and subconsciously.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It does, my comment that sparked this was just that Brazilians may have a different opinion of Portuguese than the one put forward. Racism, and stereotyping exists everywhere, consciously, and subconsciously.
You're 100 % right about the stereotyping, I'm dating a Brazilian woman myself and quite often when I tell that to friends I get a joke or a tacky reply. Maid/cook is lucky enough, more commonly it will be stripper/prostitute.

That said, I don't think that classifies as xenophobia, as it doesn't reflect hatred or anything like that. Just bad taste in jokes or ignorant stereotypes. By saying we're one of the least xenophobic countries in Europe I was alluring to the fact that in over 40 years of democracy never a right-winger FN sort (or even UKIP equivalents, etc) was elected as a representative on our parliament, nor we have any history at all of harm committed against foreigners motivated by racism, etc.

Scotland Yard say they need more money | August 2017

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

This is a disgrace, so much money spent chasing dead links. There's loads of children need help here at home that should be prioritised instead of helping out these 2 idiots further.

They should end this case and arrest the 2 parents for child neglect and be done with it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It never made sense to me why they weren't charged with that. If you leave your kids alone in the house while you go for a night out, and they go missing, can you really go without blame?

I'm sure they beat themselves up every day, but it's ultimately their fault.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Whatever.

This must be the cushiest job on the force, sat on your fecking arse for years at a time, and the only effort or skill required is writing the budget requirements for the next couple of years.

Because they certainly are not doing anything else because there is NOTHING else for them to do with this case.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
It never made sense to me why they weren't charged with that. If you leave your kids alone in the house while you go for a night out, and they go missing, can you really go without blame?

Like others have mentioned on that tweet it's likely because they are both doctors and have money.

Guaranteed if it was a typical working class family this happened to then they wouldn't have received any funding at all and the investigators would've ended this case years ago, social services would've taken the remaining kids from their care plus the parents would have been locked up for child neglect, somehow these have managed to escape from all that.

2 man midfield

Like others have mentioned on that tweet it's likely because they are both doctors and have money.

Guaranteed if it was a typical working class family this happened to then they wouldn't have received any funding at all and the investigators would've ended this case years ago plus the parents would have been locked up for child neglect, somehow these have managed to escape from that.
I did think this nearer the time. There are countless children that go missing every year but for some reason Maddie was thrust into the spotlight. It has to be money.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
11m in 6 years! It's incredible. Just think how that money could have been better used.

Guaranteed if it was a typical working class family this happened to then they wouldn't have received any funding at all and the investigators would've ended this case years ago, social services would've taken the remaining kids from their care plus the parents would have been locked up for child neglect, somehow these have managed to escape from all that.
2+2=5.

They thrust themselves and everything about the case into the spotlight and kept it there. It made it impossible for any objectivity in the case.

Assuming they weren't done because they have money smells of envy.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
The Ben Needham case in Kos (which now seems to have been finally resolved, sadly) is very similar. Little English child abroad, mysterious disappearance, years of searching and false leads.

Ben Needham disappeared in 1991, and the police only last month found evidence strongly suggesting that the child was killed in a digger accident on the day he went missing. So, I don't think we can say that the Madeleine case is unique, in respect of the length of time that the investigation's continued.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
The Ben Needham case in Kos (which now seems to have been finally resolved, sadly) is very similar. Little English child abroad, mysterious disappearance, years of searching and false leads.

Ben Needham disappeared in 1991, and the police only last month found evidence strongly suggesting that the child was killed in a digger accident on the day he went missing. So, I don't think we can say that the Madeleine case is unique, in respect of the length of time that the investigation's continued.
Yeah its exactly the same, remember it well. False sightings, how he may look now, all dead ends.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

If the kid was abducted and killed then it's ultimately whoever abducted and killed her's fault.

I would imagine the reason they haven't been charged with neglect is that it wasn't actually deemed possible to convict them of neglect as there's bound to be a big "I wouldn't do it but it isn't technically criminally actionable" grey area the prosecution would have to prove they went beyond?

Plus, as I mentioned above, the possibility of a third party actively attempting to harm Madeline probably complicated the level of blame the prosecution could direct towards the McCanns. Have any other people in the McCann's situation ever been convicted of neglect in the UK?

Last edited:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Plus, as I mentioned above, the possibility of a third party actively attempting to harm Madeline probably complicated the level of blame the prosecution could direct towards the McCanns. Have any other people in the McCann's situation ever been convicted of neglect in the UK?
I don't believe so, but at the risk of sounding inflammatory it was not uncommon for parents to do what the McCanns did at the time. A lot of this seems to be selective faux outrage at the notion of a parent leaving a child alone for a short time while they were nearby. It was certainly common amongst me, my friends and many other people I've spoken to for a parent to nip out somewhere and leave the child alone. In fact if we're going to be completely fair, I'm not sure anybody could successfully argue that leaving a child in a locked building alone while you ate nearby was more dangerous than letting them play outside on their own in the open air and out of reach where any random stranger has immediate access to them without having to break in but yet that's something that's considered normal. It seems that because they got hit by a tragedy, the scrutiny that normally wouldn't be applied to another parent got directed at them at a much more exaggerated rate.

If you let your child play in the garden while you do chores and they get snatched can you also be blamed? Because I'd wager the majority of parents in the country do this on a regular basis. At least they certainly did when I was young, you saw it everywhere. That's also an even more likely scenario than what happened here which was locking them in a more secure place that then got broken into.

2 man midfield

I don't believe so, but at the risk of sounding inflammatory it was not uncommon for parents to do what the McCanns did at the time. A lot of this seems to be selective faux outrage at the notion of a parent leaving a child alone for a short time while they were nearby. It was certainly common amongst me, my friends and many other people I've spoken to for a parent to nip out somewhere and leave the child alone. In fact if we're going to be completely fair, I'm not sure anybody could successfully argue that leaving a child in a locked building alone while you ate nearby was more dangerous than letting them play outside on their own in the open air and out of reach where any random stranger has immediate access to them without having to break in but yet that's something that's considered normal. It seems that because they got hit by a tragedy, the scrutiny that normally wouldn't be applied to another parent got directed at them at a much more exaggerated rate.

If you let your child play in the garden while you do chores and they get snatched can you also be blamed? Because I'd wager the majority of parents in the country do this on a regular basis. At least they certainly did when I was young, you saw it everywhere. That's also an even more likely scenario than what happened here which was locking them in a more secure place that then got broken into.
It's one thing letting them play in the garden while you're home, it's another to leave them in the house while you go out for dinner. What if the place went up in flames?

I've never heard of anyone doing this. Leaving your 3 year old kids home alone is a daft thing to do at anytime, and definitely not common where I'm from.

Zarlak

It's one thing letting them play in the garden while you're home, it's another to leave them in the house while you go out for dinner. What if the place went up in flames?

I've never heard of anyone doing this. Leaving your 3 year old kids home alone is a daft thing to do at anytime, and definitely not common where I'm from.
It's not really that much different. If anything what they did is safer. Let's take away stigma and bias and look at it objectively. In one situation they're left out in the open and out of sight (common practice and considered normal) and in the other situation they're locked away somewhere that is inherently more secure and still out of sight (seen as the worst parenting thing you could do and you should have your kids taken away). Whether you're home or not is irrelevant, they're out of sight and so the risk factor is the same. If you can't see them but you're 20 feet away and still completely unaware then that's not any safer.

The one that's considered normal is objectively more dangerous. Yet it's commonplace, because people don't generally go around stealing children. Because of this unfortunate tragedy, a lot more is being made of it than otherwise would. It's further complicated by the age of internet outrage and 20/20 hindsight decision making with the immediate casting of blame/ostracisation of people for making mistakes that other people make regularly.

SteveJ

Scout
Zar mate, this must be one of very few occasions that I disagree with you (regarding Caf topics) - you can't claim objectivity then load your post with assumptions and biases.

Zarlak

Zar mate, this must be one of very few occasions that I disagree with you (regarding Caf topics) - you can't claim objectivity then load your post with assumptions and biases.
I'm happy to acknowledge the assumptions of biases if you point them out, it made sense to me what I said in my head but if it's wrong it's wrong.

SteveJ

Scout
* The straining to give the benefit of the doubt - 'truth is, most decent parents simply wouldn't have left the children in the apartment.

* The assumption that the faux-outrage factor explains away genuine emotion: people are always going to react strongly when it comes to children's welfare, regardless of whipped-up sentiment from outside.