Madeleine McCann

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Assuming their version of events is true they must be absolutely crushed with guilt and will remain so for the rest of their lives. Stands to reason that sense of guilt and shame will be tangible when they're interviewed.
Imagine one decision wich, at that time, seemed safe for them, ruins a whole family and no one knows if she's dead or alive. I think they feel very guilty.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
She was born eleven years ago.

When that gets to sixteen, does the story die?
Are you counting down the days?
Sky News was a disgrace for the way they put Brenda Leyland on the spot - it was irresponsible reporting that verged on vigilantism. As others have said, she was a poor target because her Twitter comments sat on the lame end of the spectrum, by many accounts.

What's worse is that in the aftermath of her apparent suicide, Sky have chosen to push the story right to the periphery of their news agenda, focusing on the "no foul play" angle when they do cover it so as to absolve themselves of any blame. What a shitty, self serving way to run a news channel.

If she did have mental issues, is it any wonder she topped herself in the face of mainstream humiliation and the threat of police action? A new low for the media.
Not sure you can blame Sky for her death really. Tbh, I've just got back from a long weekend in Tuscany and only heard that she died today. From what I gather, yep she wasn't trolling the McCanns directly, given they are not on Twitter, and yes it appears that she believed genuinely her conspiracy theories, but hell, no-one could anticipate her resorting to suicide. Obviously a sad outcome, but one suggests that she had serious issues.
When trolls who've targeted teen suicide victims' Facebook memorial pages etc... have been exposed, people have generally supported the news agency behind it, mainly cos most of them have been fat mid-20s weirdos. For it to be an older middle class woman seems to have thrown people, but harsh as it may seem, I find it hard to feel sorry for her. Put that stuff in the public domain and reap the consequences.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
A) It wasn't Sky who brought her to the attention of the police, was it? Genuine question, I don't know who did.

B) If she posted thousands of tweets on the subject and was being investigated by Scotland Yard then I think she's as valid a subject as anyone else, even if her tweets weren't among the most abusive.

C) Sky couldn't have known she was going to react by committing suicide. I don't think it's a particularly nice or nuanced form of journalism but if that's the way they choose to approach things then there's always going to be the slight risk of someone reacting badly, it comes with the territory. Plus, as you indicated, the threat of police action may have played as much or more of a role in how she reacted and that had nothing to do with Sky (as far as I know).
If she was the subject of a police investigation, then Sky or any other media outlet had no business getting involved to such an extent. This outcome is a great example of why the media needs more controls to stop it running amok - if I was hounded in such a fashion by Sky News, I imagine it would create a lot of stress for me and my loved ones, same as it would impact many other posters on the Caf. Being arbitrarily outed in the media was an an unnecessarily insensitive way to go about it, especially if the police were in the process of investigating - whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Not sure you can blame Sky for her death really. Tbh, I've just got back from a long weekend in Tuscany and only heard that she died today. From what I gather, yep she wasn't trolling the McCanns directly, given they are not on Twitter, and yes it appears that she believed genuinely her conspiracy theories, but hell, no-one could anticipate her resorting to suicide. Obviously a sad outcome, but one suggests that she had serious issues.
When trolls who've targeted teen suicide victims' Facebook memorial pages etc... have been exposed, people have generally supported the news agency behind it, mainly cos most of them have been fat mid-20s weirdos. For it to be an older middle class woman seems to have thrown people, but harsh as it may seem, I find it hard to feel sorry for her. Put that stuff in the public domain and reap the consequences.
See my reply to sullydnl, post 1,323.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It was more an intrigued question than a desire. I don't really understand why it's still a story, so was wondering what it would take for it not to be one. That sprung to mind as something which could lessen the desire to 'keep her in the public mind' somewhat, in the hope of her being found alive.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
It was more an intrigued question than a desire. I don't really understand why it's still a story, so was wondering what it would take for it not to be one. That sprung to mind as something which could lessen the desire to 'keep her in the public mind' somewhat, in the hope of her being found alive.
It probably never really goes away at this point or at least not in the short-term. If it remains unsolved there will always be periodic updates. Or years down the road it will show up from time to time on "unsolved mystery" type shows.

EricaNo7

It's because they didn't cry enough on television.

That and the great British public being such judgemental arseholes.
I don't think it helped that the McCanns said leaving the children in the apartment was the same as leaving them in their bedrooms while the parents dined at the bottom of the garden . Maybe If they had showed a little contrition the public might have felt more for them

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't think it helped that the McCanns said leaving the children in the apartment was the same as leaving them in their bedrooms while the parents dined at the bottom of the garden . Maybe If they had showed a little contrition the public might have felt more for them
How much contrition are we talking? Sack cloth and ashes? At the very least a good old cry, right?

From the pictures I've seen their point about eating at the bottom of the garden was fair enough. At worst, it was an attempt to rationalise away some of the unbearable guilt they must have been feeling. Seems incredibly harsh to use something like that a basis for feeling less sympathetic for their plight.

Last edited:

EricaNo7

How much contrition are we talking? Sack cloth and ashes? At the very least a good old cry, right?

From the pictures I've seen their point about eating at the bottom of the garden was fair enough. At worst, it was an attempt to rationalise away some of the unbearable guilt they must have been feeling. Seems incredibly harsh to use something like that a basis for feeling less sympathetic for their plight.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-474428/In-pictures-120-metre-route-check-Madeleine.html

Quoted from your favourite newspaper ☺

EricaNo7

So what? Did you read my whole post?
Yes I've learned to read whole sentences at last. ☺
I don't know if you read the article but apparently the bottom of the garden comparison was a little dubious . In fact it would have been more like next door's garden with no view of the bedroom.
As to contrition, and I'm not talking about Maddy's mum as she looked like she was dying inside , Gerry , like his sister Philomena, just came over as quite arrogant and unpleasant. Hence that's why I said MAYBE that was why a lot of people seemed to take against them .
Regardless , it's a tragedy

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes I've learned to read whole sentences at last. ☺
I don't know if you read the article but apparently the bottom of the garden comparison was a little dubious . In fact it would have been more like next door's garden with no view of the bedroom.
As to contrition, and I'm not talking about Maddy's mum as she looked like she was dying inside , Gerry , like his sister Philomena, just came over as quite arrogant and unpleasant. Hence that's why I said MAYBE that was why a lot of people seemed to take against them .
Regardless , it's a tragedy
Which is why I added the sentence beginning "at worst..."

Re the rest of your post, I just find all the assumptions made about their personality and character really strange. These aren't work colleagues people are going out for a pint with. They're a pair of complete strangers going through a horrendous ordeal with the only access that any of us have to them as individuals is through interviews in the press. That's no way to get any sense of the real person behind the facade they put on in front of the media.

It is, of course, possible that they're not very nice people. Can't rule that out. Of course that's irrelevant in the bigger picture that they're enduring the kind of personal hell that wouldn't feature in our worst nightmares. In that scenario, I would have thought the default response is one of compassion and sympathy. It reflects very badly on the public in general that so many people seem to instead be focussing on character assasssination and conspiracy theories because of how they come across in interviews on the TV. Awful things happen to people whose company you might enjoy and people whose company you might not enjoy. In both scenarios, they deserve our compassion regardless.

EricaNo7

Which is why I added the sentence beginning "at worst..."

Re the rest of your post, I just find all the assumptions made about their personality and character really strange. These aren't work colleagues people are going out for a pint with. They're a pair of complete strangers going through a horrendous ordeal with the only access that any of us have to them as individuals is through interviews in the press. That's no way to get any sense of the real person behind the facade they put on in front of the media.

It is, of course, possible that they're not very nice people. Can't rule that out. Of course that's irrelevant in the bigger picture that they're enduring the kind of personal hell that wouldn't feature in our worst nightmares. In that scenario, I would have thought the default response is one of compassion and sympathy. It reflects very badly on the public in general that so many people seem to instead be focussing on character assasssination and conspiracy theories because of how they come across in interviews on the TV. Awful things happen to people whose company you might enjoy and people whose company you might not enjoy. In both scenarios, they deserve our compassion regardless.
And both have my compassion , regardless of my thoughts about the father. Just because I'm not very keen on him doesn't mean I don't feel terribly sorry for the hideous nightmare they've both had to live through

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
"There is absolutely no evidence at this point in time that the child is Madeleine McCann … to suggest something like that at this point in time would purely be speculating to get attention".

Sounds about right.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
"There is absolutely no evidence at this point in time that the child is Madeleine McCann … to suggest something like that at this point in time would purely be speculating to get attention".

Sounds about right.
Yes, sadly there is more than one unexplained small child disappearance in the world.

April 2017

TheReligion

Abusive
So the Met say there IS a critical piece of investigation to complete before closure of this case.

I'm wondering what that is. Would be nice to find her body and finally try and piece together what happened to the girl.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Grumble grumble missing white girl syndrome.

Grumble grumble money that could've saved many lives in foreign aid projects.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
The critical piece of information the crack team need to investigate is how sunny Portugal is in the spring.

Big Andy

Bloke
Are they still both practicing doctors? Or have they retired now that they've used the generosity of the British public to pay off their mortgage?

Can you imagine needing critical surgery, and its Gerry McCann doing it? Half way through he'd feck off for a few hours to eat Tapas and get pissed...

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Well they've both been ruled out as suspects. That makes everything they did after her disappearance, the desperate attempts of parents looking for their daughter.

Castia

I'd love to know what happened to her one day, though I highly doubt we will even know after all these years :(

Drifter

American
Why does this stand out more than the many young children that are abducted .

rcoobc

Why does this stand out more than the many young children that are abducted .
1) They were white, well off, and on holiday.
2) It had a mystery element to it, and still does.
3) They traveled around raising publicity to "help" find her.

I think just from those three things it was always going to make headlines. Look at MH370. It's a mystery, so people speculate. Rather than the kid being abducted by someone known to the family (which is the vast majority of abductions)

Of course the media should have moved on 9 years ago.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
The McCanns aren't likeable. But the fact is, it could have happened to any of the children at that complex - maybe other complexes too - because the McCanns weren't the only ones leaving their children at night. As other people have pointed out, it wasn't much different to the way numerous parents in the 70s and 80s, left their kids in chalets at Butlins, and relied on 'Baby crying in Chalet No.....'. For a while, it was perfectly acceptable, though obviously to everyone now, totally wrong. Pre-Madeleine, it was easy for parents to feel lulled into a false sense of security, and believe their kids were perfectly safe. Most of the time they were, at least safe from predators, but not safe from fire, or vomiting, or other reasons why kids shouldn't be left alone, or at least out of earshot.

I don't think for one minute that the McCann's are guilty of anything other than 'unintentional neglect'. They have to live with that. It's hard to feel sorry for them, because a child is missing, possibly dead, but it must be bloody awful to suffer the loss of your little girl and also see yourself vilified around the world and to have to see all the accusations that they killed her.

Even master criminals struggle to conceal bodies - I'm not sure how the McCanns would have done it in such a short space of time, and so successfully. I also find it hard to believe that they would have fought to keep the case open for so long and risk being found out if they were guilty.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I cant begrudge the McCanns for the amount of publicity the case has received. The problem is the media and the public who for whatever reason does not show the same interest in other cases

Steven Seagull

The McCanns aren't likeable. But the fact is, it could have happened to any of the children at that complex - maybe other complexes too - because the McCanns weren't the only ones leaving their children at night. As other people have pointed out, it wasn't much different to the way numerous parents in the 70s and 80s, left their kids in chalets at Butlins, and relied on 'Baby crying in Chalet No.....'. For a while, it was perfectly acceptable, though obviously to everyone now, totally wrong.
Bloody hell!

SteveTheRed

I don't think we will ever find out what happened. Unless there is a confession from someone.

I can't see the media ever letting it go, because it sells papers still. A lot of people want to hate the McCanns because they see them as Middle Class, got away with it, taking a load a money off the public etc.

Personally I always see them as racked with guilt that they left the kids alone. I don't think they had any direct involvement with the abduction.

TheReligion

Abusive
The McCanns aren't likeable. But the fact is, it could have happened to any of the children at that complex - maybe other complexes too - because the McCanns weren't the only ones leaving their children at night. As other people have pointed out, it wasn't much different to the way numerous parents in the 70s and 80s, left their kids in chalets at Butlins, and relied on 'Baby crying in Chalet No.....'. For a while, it was perfectly acceptable, though obviously to everyone now, totally wrong. Pre-Madeleine, it was easy for parents to feel lulled into a false sense of security, and believe their kids were perfectly safe. Most of the time they were, at least safe from predators, but not safe from fire, or vomiting, or other reasons why kids shouldn't be left alone, or at least out of earshot.

I don't think for one minute that the McCann's are guilty of anything other than 'unintentional neglect'. They have to live with that. It's hard to feel sorry for them, because a child is missing, possibly dead, but it must be bloody awful to suffer the loss of your little girl and also see yourself vilified around the world and to have to see all the accusations that they killed her.

Even master criminals struggle to conceal bodies - I'm not sure how the McCanns would have done it in such a short space of time, and so successfully. I also find it hard to believe that they would have fought to keep the case open for so long and risk being found out if they were guilty.
I take issue with the McCann's because they are guilty of child neglect. No two ways about it. There's alot of things which were acceptable in days gone by but this was completely negligent, and for people seemingly so clever utterly stupid.

I agree that despite their very strange behaviour and uncooperation with the Portuguese investigation it would seem odd by them to keep pushing the publicity and demand things continue if they were infact responsible. There is the possibility that one of Kate/Gerry was and the other doesn't know but again it is becoming far fetched.

What I do think though is this wasn't an opportunist. I'd suggest this was done by the parents regularly and whoever took the child knew this. I also think it's wrong to rule out she didn't leave the complex on her own and something has happened to her post that.

Either way she's dead.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Grumble grumble missing white girl syndrome.

Grumble grumble money that could've saved many lives in foreign aid projects.
I expect that if anyone from the West or at least the UK, of any colour, would've kicked up a fuss as big as they did as well as having so much controversy/conspiracy/mystery around it it would've gotten a decent amount of interest. Even if not, it doesn't mean they should stop because of it.

Let's not forget there's someone, likely connected to something bigger, who took her and should be found and arrested.

That they shouldn't carry on because it's suggested as racist or wasted money is ridiculous.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't think we will ever find out what happened. Unless there is a confession from someone.

I can't see the media ever letting it go, because it sells papers still. A lot of people want to hate the McCanns because they see them as Middle Class, got away with it, taking a load a money off the public etc.

Personally I always see them as racked with guilt that they left the kids alone. I don't think they had any direct involvement with the abduction.
It's possible that they will find a body one day when building work starts somewhere or the like although I guess it's possible (and incredibly grim) that they destroyed her body in one way or another. The whole thing is fecking awful whatever happened.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
That they shouldn't carry on because it's suggested as racist or wasted money is ridiculous.
This. It's a bizarre argument that crops up all the time. If you have an issue with biased reporting, then take up with the reporters that they need to be doing more, don't try and take away from the one that actually got reported. It doesn't lessen the severity of what happened to that individual, and it doesn't mean they're less worthy of the publicity. The issue is that they're not doing it for X, Y and Z not that they're doing it for A.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Kids as young as 5 were allowed to roam the streets with their brothers and their friends too. Probably. Think I saw that on Billy Elliot.
They still are. Had a 3/4yr old follow me as I walked to the vets with my cat. After I noticed her I kept telling her to go back but she didn't. Was so pushed for time that, as I couldn't leave her so far from home on a lonely path through the woods, I took her to the vets with me. Was gone about an hour and or so and tbh was a bit worried that when I got back I'd find a mass of people frantically searching for her, but seemingly no-one had even noticed her missing. Spoke to the parents but got nowhere.....the following day she was wandering aimlessly around again. Most summer days she could be seen either with her brothers and his friends or by herself, wandering around just wearing underwear and a nappy.

Mate of mine sometimes sets off early to work and regularly sees young kids (5 upwards) sat on a wall watching traffic go by...and that's at 4 in the morning. Kids in my town are out at ridiculously late times at night. Probably are in most towns but as people are inside their houses they won't see them.

rcoobc

They still are. Had a 3/4yr old follow me as I walked to the vets with my cat. After I noticed her I kept telling her to go back but she didn't. Was so pushed for time that, as I couldn't leave her so far from home on a lonely path through the woods, I took her to the vets with me. Was gone about an hour and or so and tbh was a bit worried that when I got back I'd find a mass of people frantically searching for her, but seemingly no-one had even noticed her missing. Spoke to the parents but got nowhere.....the following day she was wandering aimlessly around again. Most summer days she could be seen either with her brothers and his friends or by herself, wandering around just wearing underwear and a nappy.

Mate of mine sometimes sets off early to work and regularly sees young kids (5 upwards) sat on a wall watching traffic go by...and that's at 4 in the morning. Kids in my town are out at ridiculously late times at night. Probably are in most towns but as people are inside their houses they won't see them.
Now you've said this, I realise this happens where I live too... although the kid who is always hanging around isn't wearing a nappy.

Think he's 6 or 7.

TheReligion

Abusive
I expect that if anyone from the West or at least the UK, of any colour, would've kicked up a fuss as big as they did as well as having so much controversy/conspiracy/mystery around it it would've gotten a decent amount of interest. Even if not, it doesn't mean they should stop because of it.

Let's not forget there's someone, likely connected to something bigger, who took her and should be found and arrested.

This. It's a bizarre argument that crops up all the time. If you have an issue with biased reporting, then take up with the reporters that they need to be doing more, don't try and take away from the one that actually got reported. It doesn't lessen the severity of what happened to that individual, and it doesn't mean they're less worthy of the publicity. The issue is that they're not doing it for X, Y and Z not that they're doing it for A.
Agreed. It's just pure sensationalism. Much like the shit The Sun write.