Madeleine McCann

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
As a father of two boys aged 2 and 4, I certainly consider that neglect. There's not a chance I'd do that where I live, let alone a foreign country.

A hundred yards might as well be a hundred miles as soon as they are locked in a room out of sight. There's no chance I'd ever contemplate that, I can't fathom the thinking there

Drifter

American
What is this book going to tell anyone that we don't know already,the whole thing is distasteful.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Sedated in a hotel room, in a different country, while you go out to get pissed? How do you know they were only gonna be gone for a few hours?

I'll say this, if you can get away with leaving babies unattended, while you go out to get drunk, there is certainly something wrong with social services and maybe that's part of the reason so many kids suffer physical abuse etc. if the cps is so lax.
They were gone for an hour and a half, and they went out to a restaurant, not to get pissed.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Sedated in a hotel room, in a different country, while you go out to get pissed? How do you know they were only gonna be gone for a few hours?

I'll say this, if you can get away with leaving babies unattended, while you go out to get drunk, there is certainly something wrong with social services and maybe that's part of the reason so many kids suffer physical abuse etc. if the cps is so lax.

They had tapas- it doesn't mean they were necessarily were getting smashed. Point taken on there being babies there though.

Helder-Carvalho

Here in this country most people think the parents did it, I don't agree, if were the parent's fault then they wouldn't try to keep the case alive all these years. Either way, extremely bad parenting to leave minors alone.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Here in this country most people think the parents did it, I don't agree, if were the parent's fault then they wouldn't try to keep the case alive all these years. Either way, extremely bad parenting to leave minors alone.

You had that nutjob police inspector write a book about didn't you? That would probably have skewed many people's opinion.

Redlambs

They were gone for an hour and a half, and they went out to a restaurant, not to get pissed.
What difference does it make what they were doing? I get psychologically people would think going out to drink would be worse, but it's all the same result. They no doubt had a couple, or at least it's fair to assume they did, but does that make a difference?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Maybe a friend or someone who knew they left the kids alone. Someone who noticed the kids were not with them. It had to be someone familiar with the family maybe a guest. Close the the family not necessarily related but just someone who knows when the children were left alone.
Another guest would not be "close to the family". That phrase is not used for just anyone in the area, it implies a relationship with the family that is something more than just staying at the same resort.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
As a father of two boys aged 2 and 4, I certainly consider that neglect. There's not a chance I'd do that where I live, let alone a foreign country.

A hundred yards might as well be a hundred miles as soon as they are locked in a room out of sight. There's no chance I'd ever contemplate that, I can't fathom the thinking there
agree. unthinkable.

JustAFan

Yes it was not wise of the parents to leave her alone, but that does not change the fact that the person or persons who did the kidnapping are the ones who are the bad guys here and they are the ones who deserve our scorn.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Let's be honest, she got taken by someone - most probably a real human man - from a situation she should never have been in, and it is very very unlikely that she is still alive.

Her parents have kept the case in the public attention to (as well as obviously find her/her captor) compensate for their own guilt they most almost certainly feel from doing something really stupid (and if you want to be cynical, use books/tv etc. to divert attention away from their own shortcomings).

I would be amazed if the person who took her was ever found... falling short of a full confession with photographic evidence, surely their isn't enough evidence to convict anyone at this point? I won't watch the Crimewatch special tonight - I will however go see Prisoners at the cinema instead... as a sort of homage if you will.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
What difference does it make what they were doing? I get psychologically people would think going out to drink would be worse, but it's all the same result. They no doubt had a couple, or at least it's fair to assume they did, but does that make a difference?
I didn't say it made a difference, just correcting the time and what they were doing.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Yes it was not wise of the parents to leave her alone, but that does not change the fact that the person or persons who did the kidnapping are the ones who are the bad guys here and they are the ones who deserve our scorn.
I'm not having that, the parents certainly deserve scorn, directly responsible or not. Don't try and sugar coat what they did. It's horrendous. It's a pity their child had to suffer from their selfishness.

Redlambs

No, I don't completely agree with that. They are responsible for what happened, we just don't know to what level.

Of course the kidnappers/killers/whatever deserve the lion's share of the scorn, no one is suggesting the parents are at that level (if not directly responsible of course). But sedating their child and leaving her alone in a hotel room whilst they go have fun is beyond "not wise". Look at the end result.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
You don't know what they were doing. They could well have been drinking and probably were. Point is, does that really make a difference?

But I get why you posted that, so I'll leave it there.
Well, they went to a restaurant and returned within an hour an a half. I wouldn't describe that as going out to get pissed. Not that they didn't get drunk, or that wasn't their intention, but from what we know, I wouldn't fall on that assumption first.

The correction was more for the time, again that's not to say leaving a child unattended for an hour and a half is ever acceptable, especially in another country, but if you (tdon) are going to use the known details of the case to make a point, they might as well be accurate.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Well, they went to a restaurant and returned within an hour an a half. I wouldn't describe that as going out to get pissed. Not that they didn't get drunk, or that wasn't their intention, but from what we know, I wouldn't fall on that assumption first.

The correction was more for the time, again that's not to say leaving a child unattended for an hour and a half is ever acceptable, especially in another country, but if you (tdon) are going to use the known details of the case to make a point, they might as well be accurate.
Wasn't it that they went too the restaurant for the evening - but someone from the party would come and check on the kids every half hour,and it was around the 3rd check they realised she had gone? Like, there was a whole group of them doing the same thing with their children...

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman

It was Eyepopper that first suggested the were away for a few hours, not me. Just FYI, like.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Let's be honest, she got taken by someone

I hope the various investigators don't make assumptions like that. As it stands, only the guilty party/parties - and possibly their associate(s) - know what actually happened.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I hope the various investigators don't make assumptions like that. As it stands, only the guilty party/parties know what actually happened.
I should have said "In all liklihood" ... but yeah, I'd be amazed if it's anything else.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
That's another thing, if there were a group of them all leaving children, why the hell wasn't there a single responsible brain among them?
I doubt it's all that uncommon or at least before this case anyway - of course it's still ridiculously stupid and irresponsible. I'm in Malaga at the moment and saw some parents out with their kids at a fecking typical road bar with blaring music at around 11pm. It was a terrible atmosphere for what must of been a girl aged 6-7, and a boy 3-4 years old. They were ordering the drinks in as it was happy hour and seemed oblivious to the kids. I was amazed they thought it acceptable to take them there, and imagine there must be some families whose priorities are even more fecked and think it's alright to leave their kids at home while they go out.

JustAFan

No, I don't completely agree with that. They are responsible for what happened, we just don't know to what level.

Of course the kidnappers/killers/whatever deserve the lion's share of the scorn, no one is suggesting the parents are at that level (if not directly responsible of course). But sedating their child and leaving her alone in a hotel room whilst they go have fun is beyond "not wise". Look at the end result.
You just did.

JustAFan

I suppose it is natural that most of the negativity will fall upon the parents, who made a horrible decision to be sure, especially since the kidnapper(s) are at this point nameless and faceless so it is more difficult to aim anything at someone you can't even put a face on.

Of course to be honest part of my views right now may be tainted by this conversation I overheard at the local sports bar yesterday. An American Football player named Adrian Peterson, well his 2 year old son was beaten to death by the mothers new boyfriend. The mother had custody of the child, lived in some other city. The mother left the child alone with the new boyfriend who I have read had a history of domestic violence. Yet despite this all these numbskulls at the table next to me wanted to do was blame Adrian Peterson for the death. After all he was a rich NFL star who should have done something. they went on for 15 minutes coming up with all sorts of reasons AP was to blame, until finally the bartender told them to shut the feck up and watch the game.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
That's another thing, if there were a group of them all leaving children, why the hell wasn't there a single responsible brain among them?
Probably a "well if they're doing it must be a socially acceptable convention" sort of thing...

Also, people in general become hyper-relaxed when they go on holiday, and are liable to do things they wouldn't dream of doing in their own country.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Probably a "well if they're doing it must be a socially acceptable convention" sort of thing...

Also, people become in general become hyper-relaxed when they go on holiday, and are liable to do things they wouldn't dream of doing in their own country.
Indeed. I look at the freedom I was allowed on holiday as a kid, and contrast that with the freedoms I was allowed at home, even when just coming back from school or going to the local shop, the difference is absolutely huge. My parents were shit scared of me taking a train home or going anywhere by myself in England, but on holiday in Tenerife at a resort where we were with a group of friends and at a younger age I was able to roam pretty much to my hearts content. I wouldn't allow that same freedom mind, but the holiday mentality does exist and I think it was even worse back then.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

Also, people become in general become hyper-relaxed when they go on holiday, and are liable to do things they wouldn't dream of doing in their own country.
I am the exact opposite with my kids when abroad. Im far more relaxed at home with them, I still dont leave them unattended at home either at that age.

Redlambs

I suppose it is natural that most of the negativity will fall upon the parents, who made a horrible decision to be sure, especially since there the kidnapper(s) are at this point nameless and faceless so it is more difficult to aim anything at someone you can't even put a face on.
I said the opposite actually, but yeah you have a point here.

I doubt it's all that uncommon or at least before this case anyway - of course it's still ridiculously stupid and irresponsible. I'm in Malaga at the moment and saw some parents out with their kids at a fecking typical road bar with blaring music at around 11pm. It was a terrible atmosphere for what must of been a girl aged 6-7, and a boy 3-4 years old. They were ordering the drinks in as it was happy hour and seemed oblivious to the kids. I was amazed they thought it acceptable to take them there, and imagine there must be some families whose priorities are even more fecked and think it's alright to leave their kids at home while they go out.

Yeah, I suppose I know the answer. It just baffles me how one set of parents can be so tragically neglectful, let alone a number of them! Not to mention drugging your children first, but am I right in saying that's been denied by them?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006

Well considering none of that actually happened you can calm down.

Maybe part of the reason social services don't rush out and take kids off people is so emotional reactions to shaky facts are avoided.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
And so before our very eyes we see the police engaged in this game of hunting a needle in the haystack. And yet we say nothing. We have our ringside seats to the circus. And we will not be vacating them.

But there are some who don’t have seats to the show. They are the faces that stare out from the website Missing Kids. It currently features 123 children who are currently missing from home. The youngest is three years old. The most recent date of disappearance was Michelle Brewer, reported missing six days ago. The oldest, Mary Flanagan, reported missing on December 31st, 1959.

They will have no television appeals. No e-fits. No special police units established after direct intervention from the Prime Minister. Madeleine McCann is gone. But the circus rolls on.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...k-should-we-really-be-drawn-into-this-circus/

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Begs the question "why is there disproportionate interest in this case?".

From a quick glance at 'missing children' it would seem she is the only white child with a British surname, under the age of 16, on the list. There's also the fact the McCanns are middle class. Possibly an element of shock, due to it happening on holiday?

Of course, there is then the fact the McCanns were implicated but that was well after the media had gone into overdrive.