Maguire | he stays!

RedMistyDevil

I think we as a society must have moved on from here. It is now widespread that you have to be more fair in your communication towards all social groups, but it is as if it is still okay to bully sportsmen. And I actually think Maguire was bullied in both the media and by fans. It went too far and was beyond ordinary fun from e.g. fans

It's a little old-fashioned to just conclude that it's up to Maguire to stick with it.
I agree that the abuse that Maguire (and other Man Utd players) suffered is uncalled for, and I agree that people should be fair in their critique. But that's not what I see on social media, and also not on TV, because what matters most to them is to get things viral and trending to draw in audiences. United has one of, if not the biggest fan base in the world, and him being United's captain meant that he was an easy target.

It should not be a fine line between holding Maguire to the standards of being a United captain and media abuse, but somehow we're just not there.

I didn't mean that Maguire should've had to stick with the abuse. Him managing the pressures could've been, but not limited to, working with the sports psychologists at the club, tuning out or quitting social media (where I see the worst abuse hurled at our players), and perhaps not giving a few of the interviews he did which ended up drawing in more scrutiny.

I sincerely wish him the best at West Ham.

davidmichael

More and More,
West Ham, we want more and more
Thirty Five Million
That's what we're asking for

Freed from Maguire
The Caf's no longer terrified
Freed from Maguire
Freed from Maguire
Freed from Maguire

Onana na na na na na na na na na na
Class :lol::lol::lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
If we have to pay 10m then let him rot here. This madness needs to stop. If he cant agree lower salary then dont pay out his salary and take the financial hit by keeping him here. This paying off players to leave needs to stop and can only happen if we take a financial hit and let player play reserves football if he is surplus to requirements.
Naa, that's not an option as he will do more harm than good. He has been literally appalling in the last 18 months or so.

Let him be someone else's meme for a change.

On the other hand there were so many good memories of him (gif worthy I mean) :drool:

Probably my two very favorites..
The second touch is a tackle:

or when he pulled down Shaw against Spurs:

RedMistyDevil

And do you care? Should any of us care?
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post, but it was made in response to how experts on TV went after Maguire for the slightest mistake, and I said that to highlight that fact that the media will always talk about United in some ways to get audience engagement.

I wouldn't care if he scored against us, but it might hurt a little if it was their winning goal. Still, I trust ten Hag's tactical ability in getting us the wins.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I believe maguire suffered from low confidence. Even with high confidence, I don't believe he is worth the amount we payed for him. 30m sounds about right and if west ham can instill his confidence back, they have a decent player in their defense.

RuudTom83

Part of me would love it, just to see the meltdown on the Cafe, if Harry released a tweet saying he is going fight for his place at United.

Baxquux

Part of me would love it, just to see the meltdown on the Cafe, if Harry released a tweet saying he is going fight for his place at United.
Regardless of people's opinions on it, he knows the abuse and general ordure he'd get for pulling out at this stage, particularly since it would stop us signing players the fanbase have indicated they see as much better options...

OverratedOpinion

Let him rot on the bench if he asks for £10M. May as well keep him as the 5th choice CB if that is the case.
You do understand that would still probably make the difference between having Maguire as a back up defender or having Pavard?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Yeah who would see the sense in paying 10m to get 30m? I mean makes much more sense to pay 20m in wages over the next 2 years so he can warm the bench

I know 20m gained over 20m lost seems a no brainer.. oh wait it is but then a 40m swing nah mate there are principles at stake
We are the only team that pays off players to move on. Players know they can take us for a ride. Setting the record straight would mean players understand that they risk their career if they don’t accept moving on. Maybe we lose 20m right now, but it will streamline the process of moving out players.

If we continue to pay off contracts and accept lower transfer fees, we will be stuck in this cycle forever.

Withnail

We are the only team that pays off players to move on. Players know they can take us for a ride. Setting the record straight would mean players understand that they risk their career if they don’t accept moving on. Maybe we lose 20m right now, but it will streamline the process of moving out players.

If we continue to pay off contracts and accept lower transfer fees, we will be stuck in this cycle forever.
Are you sure about that?

Cheers Harry. You were good in 19/20, very good in 20/21. Last two seasons have been a disaster and you have fallen off a cliff form and confidence wise, I’m sorry for the treatment you’ve been getting. Good luck.

Marcelinho87

You'd be surprised, I'd be willing to bet it happens in most cases of players going down in stature.

Also clubs pay out loyalty bonus too which is only forfeit if a transfer request goes in so he'll be due that too.

Irwin99

Cheers Harry. You were good in 19/20, very good in 20/21. Last two seasons have been a disaster and you have fallen off a cliff form and confidence wise, I’m sorry for the treatment you’ve been getting. Good luck.
I don't believe that was the case at all. Our defence were getting criticized all the time, the difference was it was Lindelof getting blamed most often-sometimes correctly- but Maguire was often just as poor.

Vanrouge

Merely pointing out that in my opinion it's a ridiculous statement. You're entitled to agree with the poster and I'm more than happy to disagree.

I certainly will agree with my version, to think Maguire of all people is our best signed player is bat shit insanity.
Wait. You thought they were talking about Maguire?

RC89

I don't believe that was the case at all. Our defence were getting criticized all the time, the difference was it was Lindelof getting blamed most often-sometimes correctly- but Maguire was often just as poor.
Maguire being very good is when he's not looking outright terrible, a true steady Eddie in peak form.

Abraxas

No point getting frustrated by Maguire. Anybody with a head on their shoulders would be doing the exact same thing in his shoes. We gave him a fantastic deal, too much for his ability and it was completely our doing.

We don't know the details. He may be willing to take a compromise, it just might not be the one that is what WHU are willing to pay him as a base salary. So hopefully something is worked out to satisfy all parties. But I definitely can't hold it against Maguire to be out to retain as much of his salary as possible.

JediSith

It’s interesting to see the contrast between Maguire & Pogba.

Both are players who came with huge fees and huge expectations. Both are players that failed and both arguably mishandled their PR.

Maguire hounded and persecuted online. Has become a meme but defended by the media and pundits. Has a small section of fans who defend him and are outraged by the “abuse” he’s received in the form of booing and becoming a meme.

Pogba was persecuted by the pundits and media but was mostly supported online but had a small section of fans who absolutely couldn’t stand him.

In the end as close as you can get to 100% of fans wanted both to leave.

So different yet so similar. IMO, what Pogba received was worse because he was getting picked on by fellow pros on a weekly basis. Maguire has always had the support of the media and pundits and very likely it’s the lack of professional and honest criticism of his form on their part that has exacerbated the fans online ‘critique’ of him.

Reactions: roonster09

Stig

If we have to pay 10m then let him rot here. This madness needs to stop. If he cant agree lower salary then dont pay out his salary and take the financial hit by keeping him here. This paying off players to leave needs to stop and can only happen if we take a financial hit and let player play reserves football if he is surplus to requirements.
That is called cutting of your nose to spite your face and it would lead to financial ruin.

Nicolarra90

Second season was very good. First was okay. Glad we're selling him at a good price.
Don't remember that very good second season. Remember him having some good months that first season ending in a pretty decent season, and then everything going downhill :nervous:

Tarrou

I don´t get it, we just rejected 30m yesterday and now we have agreed 30m.
Anyhoo, miracles happens.
Probably some negotiations involving his wages involved too

if they kept the bid at 30 but increased how much of his wages they’ll cover, it makes sense

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Don't remember that very good second season. Remember him having some good months that first season ending in a pretty decent season, and then everything going downhill :nervous:
He was very good in the second season, one of the most negative member even started this thread, says it all about Maguire's season that season.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/an-apology-to-harry-maguire.462793/

First 2 seasons he was good/very good with few bad moments, third season he was shit and fourth he was just a bench player who didn't play much.

Nicolarra90

He was very good in the second season, one of the most negative member even started this thread, says it all about Maguire's season that season.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/an-apology-to-harry-maguire.462793/

First 2 seasons he was good/very good with few bad moments, third season he was shit and fourth he was just a bench player who didn't play much.
Yeah I'm seeing that a lot. Maybe I'm confusing those good months being in the first rather than the second season.

rebornsoull

Glad to see him moving on, for his own good as well. Everything just seem to went downhill for him after that incident with the police in Greece

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It’s not just about football. Millions of pounds are involved too. Pretty clear he won’t take a huge paycut (if any) to move to West Ham.
It's not pretty clear now is it. Say he doesn't move anywhere, he sees out his contract here and meanwhile his stock will go lower and lower. He'll be older the next contract he'll get. How much will he be worth then? Will he get the wages that West Ham are offering for the length their offering? They're in EL, have ambitions and have bunch of bonus payouts that teams in Europe has, teams that would probably be his destination if he doesn't leave now.

It makes sense for him to negotiate a deal now and get a little bit of money from United but not 10m.