Mahrez | Signed with City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I said Mourinho and Ed Woodward haven't addressed any of our weaknesses while Liverpool have been very active despite playing much better football than we have. Yes, they are below us in the league table but the matter of fact is that they are doing something about it. They lacked a quality CB and they signed Van Dijk. They probably don't need Mahrez but their attack is already better than ours and they are strengthening whereas we have depended on Lingard to bale us out.
There is so much wrong with this post but whats the point?, theres others like you that think this way.

Scholsey2004

I wonder if a journo got wind of Liverpool having made an enquiry about his price and availability? If Leicester then quoted them a figure that was far higher than they expected and really put them off then that would explain the 'no interest' statement, which is unusually specific compared to the typical neutral remarks clubs make about other teams players. If so I wonder just how much Leicester are looking for?

DdeGoat

Mahrez to Liverpool doesn't make sense unless Klopp is planning on converting him into a left attacking midfielder like Ancelotti did with Di Maria at Real. Don't think it'll happen. Liverpool will go all in for Lemar in the summer, imo.

extincti fugax hominum

Some people just love to any signing our rivals make. Any time City/Liverpool/Chelsea etc sign someone it's always a massive drama and the end of the world.
Agreed. I remember there was a little meltdown and similar hyping up rituals from the caftards in late may when City signed Bernardo Silva too but he only played seven or eight full 90 minutes so far.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He seems like overkill if they're getting lemar but Liverpool's strategy of buying footballers entering or just a few years away from their prime is very good. They're absolutely loaded in attackers who can beat a defender. I do envy that.

automaticflare

He seems like overkill if they're getting lemar but Liverpool's strategy of buying footballers entering or just a few years away from their prime is very good. They're absolutely loaded in attackers who can beat a defender. I do envy that.
Yes sir for their tactical defensive flaws and complete lack of a midfield they have to ride on the tails of a good attack which they do have in fairness. Adding mahrez and Lamar adds depth there but doesn't solve their problems with the system.
I'm not worried them signing mahrez or lemar transforms them into top side in the league because as long as Klopp is there playing this system they will continue to be exposed which will cost them points and games

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes sir for their tactical defensive flaws and complete lack of a midfield they have to ride on the tails of a good attack which they do have in fairness. Adding mahrez and Lamar adds depth there but doesn't solve their problems with the system.
I'm not worried them signing mahrez or lemar transforms them into top side in the league because as long as Klopp is there playing this system they will continue to be exposed which will cost them points and games
If his system was completely flawed then he wouldn't have won back to back league titles in Germany. It obvious has weaknesses which can be overcome if he has the right players. Lovren can't handle the lack protection but a much defender might do.

Besides, it's a bit of a misconception that you need to be totally secure at the back to win big trophies or be thereabout. Rodgers nearly won the league with a weak defence. In a year like this, when the best side in the league aces every aspect (City), they have no chance. But over the next few years if the contenders are a little weaker, Klopp's system may well do the business. For example if we were the team leading the table, I don't think one could safely say that Liverpool wouldnt have a shot.

Also I don't think they have to rely on their attack because the defence is hopeless. It's just Klopp is ab extremely aggressive and attack minded manager. That's just his way and how he prefers to approach the game.

Anyway I do hope they keep falling short of I trophies. But if they keep on buying well and improving as a unit then they're ones to watch out for.

Abhinav

I must say we are in much more need of Riyad Mahrez type player than Liverpool. He could enhance our counter attacking threat multi-fold and provide a much needed impetus on the right hand side of the attack. There were doubts on whether he was a one shot wonder, especially due to Leicester's poor form last season. But the latter part of last season and this season he is back to his 2015/16 form.

Only thing that I can think of which could stop us from being interested, is his tendency to play as a floater on the right wing. He tends to cut in into central areas much like Mata, albeit with more pace and better dribbling. He is not what you call a traditional right winger. However, I think he will combine really well with Valencia on the right to give our attack a much needed balance.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think he would edge us closer to a top 4 spot. We might already be in the running but this guy would give us someone with the ability to beat a couple players with skill when teams are camped in and around their boxes.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Never really watch Leicester. Is he good enough for us?

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Never really watch Leicester. Is he good enough for us?
He’s sort of the best RW out there this January that would make sense.

However, he’s not world class nor is he average but he’s certainly better than what options we have and would be a clear upgrade. In a way it would be “settling” for a player like Mahrez to solve our RW issue if we choose to buy him...I say settle because a better quality RWer may be available in the Summer so it’s really a matter of United wanting to fix the position right now or weighing their options and waiting until the end of the season. Even then, the latter may not guarantee much as we don’t know if the quality difference between Mahrez or another RWer would even be substantial enough to not sign Mahrez right now so it’s kind of up in air. All depends on José and the board on if they decide to just get it over with or wait because Mahrez was linked in the Summer and they chose not to then.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Good player, but I have my doubts about him for United and I really don't think Mourinho would buy him.

Would prefer a faster type. We should have bought Mane instead of Mkhi.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
When he is good, he is very good.
To be honest, in many ways I think Mahrez would be a perfect signing for us, he is a proper entertainer, takes on defenders, delivers great chances to his strikers, and scores some beauties too.
Importantly he is Premiership proven, eliminating the "Di Maria" risk factor.
Mahrez really does tick so many of the boxes that it just seems too bloody obvious..!

The more I think about it the more I would love United to sign him, I don't think it will happen though, we don't seem to be remotely interested in him.

James Peril

Thinking about it, he would be a great buy for Tottenham. This is the kind of signing they should make to signal intent, but will they? Playing Sissoko on the right is just plain destroying their attacking force.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
When he is good, he is very good.
To be honest, in many ways I think Mahrez would be a perfect signing for us, he is a proper entertainer, takes on defenders, delivers great chances to his strikers, and scores some beauties too.
Importantly he is Premiership proven, eliminating the "Di Maria" risk factor.
Mahrez really does tick so many of the boxes that it just seems too bloody obvious..!

The more I think about it the more I would love United to sign him, I don't think it will happen though, we don't seem to be remotely interested in him.
He'd be a great buy for us, Spurs and Arsenal. I don't understand why nobody has moved for him.
This as well. Very odd he hasn’t moved yet after all he’s shown and proven. Just doesn’t make sense or add up for whatever reason.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Funnily enough he's been linked to Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool. Yet IMO the team which would fit him the best is us, we've literally got the right set up and zero threat to him being a regular first teamer down the right. We're crying out for a player like him to link with Valencia.

Keyser

Funnily enough he's been linked to Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool. Yet IMO the team which would fit him the best is us, we've literally got the right set up and zero threat to him being a regular first teamer down the right. We're crying out for a player like him to link with Valencia.
With the way our recent transfers have gone, NOT being linked is a good thing

kotha

Isn't Mahrez rumored around 40 million too.. Surprised we are not going for a prem proved signing like him..

Considering the rumors of PSG asking for 40million for Loucas Moura are true..

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He has massive spells where he does absolutely nothing. No doubt he has class but he is being overrated on here. People would tire of his inconsistency after a bit I reckon.

MadMike

He has massive spells where he does absolutely nothing. No doubt he has class but he is being overrated on here. People would tire of his inconsistency after a bit I reckon.
He plays as a RW/AM for Leicester. There are massive periods in games where he can do feck all. It's an 11-man game and he isn't Messi. He can't do magic all the time, especially when his team can't get in the game. There's attacking players that we call World Class who have bigger spells of doing nothing, while playing for much better set ups. Hazard a huge example.

In fact, I'd argue that I've never seen an EPL Winner & POTY be called "overrated" so many times before, which is surprising because I wonder who are these people (like you) reacting to? Because hardly anyone calls him World Class or amazing. Those who like him and want him here are simply saying he's a very very good and EPL proven RW. Is that overrating him? Or is calling him "overrated" doing him a massive disservice? Because the facts are clearly pointing to the latter.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think Jose wants someone to hug the touch line and put crosses in.

Had we got Perisic, we probably might have signed Mahrez

United Pro

Isn't Mahrez rumored around 40 million too.. Surprised we are not going for a prem proved signing like him..

Considering the rumors of PSG asking for 40million for Loucas Moura are true..
Leicester would probably want closer to £60m now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Could be that he's simply not as good as people think.

Adisa

Same was said about Mané. And Mahrez has shown more than Mané did before going to Liverpool.

I firmly believe that Mahrez would be sensational in this current Utd side, have no idea why we don't just step in and snap him up.
It seems none of the top clubs want him, so you can't have a go at United for not being interested.
The only genuine interest has cime from Roma.

iHicksy

Would have been a typical SAF signing. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be a Jose one.

diplomat

It seems none of the top clubs want him, so you can't have a go at United for not being interested.
The only genuine interest has cime from Roma.
That's like saying no top clubs wanted Salah, yet he is the 2nd best top scorer of the EPL right now.

Adisa

That's like saying no top clubs wanted Salah, yet he is the 2nd best top scorer of the EPL right now.
Well, Liverpool did.
I'm not knocking him.
I'm saying there might be a reason why no club seems to be after him even though he's desperate to leave.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Same was said about Mané. And Mahrez has shown more than Mané did before going to Liverpool.

I firmly believe that Mahrez would be sensational in this current Utd side, have no idea why we don't just step in and snap him up.
Agree. It’s so frustrating.

Adisa

I don't even think he fits the profile of winger we need.
Imo, we need someone like Leroy Sane.

RU Devil

Nani 2.0

He'd be frustrating but when on form, he is top drawer. Seems to be more on than off lately and do think he'd be a big boost as we are currently constituted. Not sure if he'd be in the long term starting XI, though.

Adisa

So you're also saying he's overrated?
I think he's a very inconsistent player and has been rumoured to be moody.
That could put big clubs off.
More so when you slap a >50m price tag on his head.
people on this forum talk as if he would cost 30m and a deal would be done quickly.

MadMike

I think he's a very inconsistent player and has been rumoured to be moody.
That could put big clubs off.
More so when you slap a >50m price tag on his head.
people on this forum talk as if he would cost 30m and a deal would be done quickly.
Rumoured to be moody, >50m price tag... too much conjecture for my liking. I don't even agree with the inconsistent label. His "inconsistent" season was one where the whole team downed tools. Matic is inconsistent by that measure.

But to each their own.

redflair

There's still a certain tendency to be sceptical of certain African players (and in this case north African) whether they're made of the 'right' stuff in terms of the brutal, unforgiving nature of the Premier League.

Klopp alluded to it when we was talking about Salah - and Mane too, had a nightmare time with Koeman at Southampton, in and out of the side, while Shane Long did his stuff.

Mahrez is a fine player - but again the 'lazy' tag is banded around as if it's fact. The bottom line is actually that its his 'style' - and Salah's style and Mane's style - it's the way they play and have grown up.

If that's the main factor for turning players like him down for big clubs - then so be it. But the bottom line is he's great to watch and I want to see him at a big club next season (if it's not us) just to see if he can do it.

I think he can.

diplomat

Well, Liverpool did.
I'm not knocking him.
I'm saying there might be a reason why no club seems to be after him even though he's desperate to leave.
That was my whole point, no team wanted him and Liverpool got him without a transfer saga, but he has so far been a true bargain.

There are no top clubs linked with Lucas, actually only minnows from France have any interest apparently, yet he is good enough for Manchester United. I hope he brings us success in the long-term but I highly doubt it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't even think he fits the profile of winger we need.
Imo, we need someone like Leroy Sane.
That was perisic. Not many other true wingers out there good enough right now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.